AVS Forum banner

Lg xxlh30

306K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  Av8or1ab 
#1 ·
Anyone seen one of these yet? I'm in the market for a 40/42" LCD and this one made my list.

#952 ·
On Feb-12th I received a 37LH30-UA from Sonicelectronix.

It was made in December 2009 and has firmware 4.52 on it.

The sticker under the lower center grill says:

LC370WUE

(SB) (B2)

LG Display

There is also a Bar Code that reads:

3709AK1635662 611B

Made in Korea

From what I have read here it sounds like this is an LG IPS panel?

First impressions on HDTV viewing are very good. It has no dead or stuck pixels and viewing from the sides seems good as well.

The only way I can get full screen from my Gigabyte video cards HDMI port, is to set the input on the LG I'm using (HDMI 2) to something other than PC (label) and set the aspect ratio to Cinema Zoom 1. Can't seem to get any audio from the PC to the LG. Its not calibrated for PC viewing yet but its not nearly as sharp as my calibrated Dell 2408WFP is at the moment anyway. The Dell is a 1920x1200 monitor.

If I set the HDMI 2 input to be labeled PC, the only aspect ratio's the LG will allow are 16:9 or 4:3. 16:9 won't fill the screen even though the PC is set to 1920x1080 for the LG as a display. Am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone with a 37LH30 (IPS panel) have setting suggestions for PC and HDTV inputs?

#953 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb /forum/post/18148639

No. My TV was made in Jan 2010 and has AUO panel. The newer sets have the AUO panels and the older ones have the LG panels. 42LH30.

Mine also was made Jan 2010 & I have LG display panel IN THE GRILL on my 37LH20. I bought it at BB BTW.

#956 ·
So, my parents bought a 32LH30 in December, and they just mentioned to me that they've been seeing audio/video lip sync issues. I called LG customer support, and had what ranks right up there as one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. But that's another story (unless someone really wants to hear the gory details, which I may post here anyway at some point).

The upshot is, a tech from an LG service center is coming to their house tomorrow to investigate. I had assumed they would be coming to do some sort of firmware update via USB drive (I've read about this being a fix). However, my mother just told me that the lady from the service center said it was likely a cable problem (!). When my mother mentioned, in confusion, that she thought the tech would come to do a software update with a USB drive, the lady said that if that turns out to be the problem, that would be something LG would have to provide directly.

Does that all sound right? I'm pretty annoyed right now at the hassle that they're putting my mother through (not to mention me)...I'm wondering how much it is to ask, to have a working TV.

#957 ·
i was curious about the response time on the 47lh30. best buy and a couple other websites say 6ms, but then again there's a lot of other sites i have checked that state 5ms. i thought it was 5ms? could it be different because of the different panels? or are these people just getting their information wrong?

#958 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanooo /forum/post/18156730

i was curious about the response time on the 47lh30. best buy and a couple other websites say 6ms, but then again there's a lot of other sites i have checked that state 5ms. i thought it was 5ms? could it be different because of the different panels? or are these people just getting their information wrong?

In my opinion, that is a negligible difference, also, that is the ideal response time, not necessarily what you will be getting constantly; however, I do believe the correct number is 6ms.

#959 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadex /forum/post/18156984

In my opinion, that is a negligible difference, also, that is the ideal response time, not necessarily what you will be getting constantly; however, I do believe the correct number is 6ms.

marketing gimmicks

Those specs have no real meaning because people run tests and find 30ms for some sets that claim to be 6ms - read the input lag thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

same with Contrast Ratio stats, its never as much as the specs claim

#960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laven205 /forum/post/18148616

I just ordered the 47LH30 from frys. I'll post back with my first impressions once I get it. I'll take a look through the center rear grill to see if it bears the LG sticker and also try to examine the pixel structure.

Ditto, mine should be here on the 18th. Hopefully we don't end up with chi-mei's.

#961 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo /forum/post/18157035

marketing gimmicks

Those specs have no real meaning because people run tests and find 30ms for some sets that claim to be 6ms - read the input lag thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

same with Contrast Ratio stats, its never as much as the specs claim

Correct,

Pay no attention to MFR provided response times, it's become just another useless spec since it is nothing close to reality, and doesn't reveal the whole picture (total input lag) The only TV's that come close to their claimed response times are ones with IPS panels (LG and Panasonic)

PC monitors tend to be a little more accurate with published response times, but those are often inflated as well. Take the westinghouse 37" LVM w3 for example, it's an older, larger monitor that published "8ms" response, but in reality it's total lag is around 30ms or so.

Too bad, because it makes TV and monitor shopping that much more difficult.

And by the way, total input lag begins with your mouse , your mouse can have up to 8ms lag , then add that to your TV's overall lag, then add that to your internet lag. All of these combined can lead to a pretty bad gaming experience.

#964 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 /forum/post/18160858

A new finding...

The best way to do deal with LG's bright blacks...

is to set the screen to ZOOM!

No more black bars on 4:3 output and the blacks look better since there's nothing glaring at you ;-)

ugh, i hate anything thats not in its proper aspect ratio. black bars on top, bottom and sides dont bother me.

#967 ·
47hl30 arrived today from Fry's, sticker on the back of the panel says chi-mei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass /forum/post/18162881

I'm experimenting with picture settings.
Black Level on all modes is grayed out and set at Auto.

Do you have to do something special to unlock it?

It's greyed out for me when I watch cable(1080i), but not playing xbox(1080p). Must be either the input type or the resolution.

#971 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypac /forum/post/18163763

It's greyed out for me when I watch cable(1080i), but not playing xbox(1080p). Must be either the input type or the resolution.

Yes, your correct. I can use HDMI 1080P output from my PC to set each modes Black Level to High but when I switch inputs back to a 1080i source it goes back to Auto.

#972 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreed2 /forum/post/18165081

So I think thats an MVA...Does gaming look good on it?

Let me preface this by saying, This is my first HDTV, so I don't have a lot to reference from.

The black levels seem pretty good. There's a tiny little bit of backlight bleed from the corners, not enough to see unless the screen is completely black. I don't have a way to do any real input lag testing, but there seems to be a somewhat noticeable delay at times playing MW2. Fast motion is blurry. It's definitely not optimal for gaming imo

If I had it to do over again I'd probably consider something smaller with less lag, but I'm not kicking myself either. It's BIG

#973 ·
Just how bad is the MVA panel? I don't plan to use it for gaming, just HDTV viewing (60% TV / 40% Movie)?

I am ready to commit to the order if there isn't something better in this price range at the same size (720p v 1080p is not as relevant in this case since this is will be the bedroom TV).

#976 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypac /forum/post/18166400

Let me preface this by saying, This is my first HDTV, so I don't have a lot to reference from.

The black levels seem pretty good. There's a tiny little bit of backlight bleed from the corners, not enough to see unless the screen is completely black. I don't have a way to do any real input lag testing, but there seems to be a somewhat noticeable delay at times playing MW2. Fast motion is blurry. It's definitely not optimal for gaming imo

If I had it to do over again I'd probably consider something smaller with less lag, but I'm not kicking myself either. It's BIG

have you been using game mode? Game mode should do away with input lag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.