Lg xxlh30 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1146 Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know whether this is a wide colour gamut TV/monitor? I'll be using photoshop so hopefully this TV supports the AdobeRGB colour space. I was also wondering if anyone has done any colour space testing on the
LG 32LH30.

P.S. anyone know how colour space testing is done? I'm referring to the comparisons done by prad such as ISO Coated, sRGB, AdobeRGB and ECI 2.0.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1146 Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesodes View Post

Does anyone know whether this is a wide colour gamut TV/monitor? I'll be using photoshop so hopefully this TV supports the AdobeRGB colour space. I was also wondering if anyone has done any colour space testing on the
LG 32LH30.

P.S. anyone know how colour space testing is done? I'm referring to the comparisons done by prad such as ISO Coated, sRGB, AdobeRGB and ECI 2.0.

Thanks

I don't know much about colour space testing specifically, but I have verified with LG that it's a 10 bit panel. Also, the settings offer either a "wide" or "standard" color gamut - I'm using the 32LH30 hooked up to a 2009 Mac Mini. Right now I'm using DVI to HDMI which looks great!, but I'm going to be trying mini-DP to HDMI.
post #183 of 1146 Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 AM

Jamhamm, any news on the Dead Space color banding front?
post #184 of 1146 Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fesodes View Post

LG 32LH30.

Thanks

TVs are set for REC 709 (and / or 601), which is sRGB (same primaries), rather than Adobe RGB. Some TVs support xvYCC (probably not this one though) which is an expanded color space (in addition to increased bit-depth color components), but then standard computers can't output this format. If you are getting a regular TV, plan on standard color spaces such as sRGB. LGs (particularly the 09 models) have very good color adjustments - very easily the best in this price range by a long shot, so with a hardware calibrator you should be able to get good compliance. If you need 92%+ Adobe RGB, buy a computer monitor that supports it.

Note that almost all non-print content is explicitly NOT in the expanded Adobe RGB space, and using extended gamut monitors makes regular content look overcooked, with sunburnt/orangish skin-tones, etc. You mention photoshop, so that app can be made profile aware and display correct colors in that app (if you have a calibrator and generate a profile), but the rest of windows does not.
post #185 of 1146 Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think I will have to return my second 32LH30. It is making this annoying crackling/popping sound occasionally. The sound is not coming from the speakers. I think the sound is coming from inside the panel. It usually happens when I turn the TV on and continues for the next hour. Once the TV has warmed up, the sound will stop but if I turn the TV off and then back on, the sound comes back.

I see LG has come out with a new model LF11. It's on sale this week at Best Buy. It has a slightly lower contrast ratio. I will take a look and make a decision soon.
post #186 of 1146 Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Hi, I've been searching the web desperately for the last couple of days, it looks like I've finally found the right place to talk about this.

I bought an LG 32LH40 yesterday, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. Or, I was, until I noticed some pretty nasty blurring of reds and blues. Since this thread is filled with people who own this set, I can give you an example of where the problem is easily visible and you can (please, please) tell me if you have the same problem.

This site has a bunch of color calibration images, but the one for simple contrast shows it best: lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php (you need a www before that, I think. It's my first post, I can't do URLs yet...)

On my screen (regardless of any adjustments) the top blue bar is blurred at every step of brightness. It also blends into the background slightly. The blue isn't TOO bad, really. I can probably live with it.

The next line (green) looks perfect, as does the following teal line.

The red line though... it's a mess. At every step of brightness, the red is blurred together. It looks like crappy JPG compression, is the best way to describe it. It also blends into the background a bit. All red text seems a bit blurry on this set, especially against a black background.

The purple right below the red is also quite bad.

Strangely, the yellow is absolutely flawless, and the gray is also.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Here are some of the things I've tried to fix it:

-Gone into CCC and tried different pixel formats (rebooting after each)
-Adjusted color intensity settings on the TV
-Individually adjusted all red settings in advanced mode on the TV
-Recalibrated the display about 20 times with Windows 7's built-in color management
-Reset all settings, both on TV and windows, several times
-Tried a new, shorter HDMI cable (this one I verified is definitely HDMI 1.3a spec)
-Tried a VGA cable
-Tried different HDMI ports
-Tried naming the HDMI port "PC"
-Tried gaming mode and all other modes
-Adjusted sharpness, brightness, contrast
-Changed EVERY advanced picture control setting

I'm a very computer-literate game developer, but I'm at my wit's end trying to find out why this positively goregous TV set, which is better than anything I expected in every other regard, has this one bizarre problem.

I'm down to two last ideas - one, tomorrow I'll try getting a DVI-D to HDMI cable. I've read that this can sort of confuse (?) the graphics card into not trying to "enhance" the picture by making it think it's connecting to a regular monitor, not a TV. It's a stretch, but I'm desperate. The only other possibility is exchanging this thing for another one, or else returning it altogether.

...But that's such a painful idea! Going back to a 22" TN panel (albeit a very good Samsung) is torture after using this thing for two days. This set's so amazing for movies and general-purpose use, but I need it to have good color accuracy and sharpness or it's useless to me for the purpose I bought it.

Anyone!?

edit:
my system specs are
Windows 7 RC x86
Asus P5B-E
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6 ghz
4 gigs of RAM (yes, only 3 are usable right now)
MSI Radeon 4890 w/ 1 gig GDDR5, overclocked (not much)
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum (I think)

I also tried it on an HP laptop w/ VGA-out. Same problem. It was equipped with an ATI graphics chipset though, so I will try my old 8800 GTS in my main computer tomorrow to see if it's an ATI thing... just to rule that out. I think this might be an intentional color-processing thing by either the graphics card or the TV, since after all if both red and blue are screwy, and they must be combined to make a lot of other colors, why aren't those other colors getting screwed up as well? So far I've only noticed purple (red+blue, duh) is noticeably blurry besides red and blue on their own. I will take pictures tomorrow.

edit 2: Stayed up a few extra minutes, I hope it was worth it. Here is a high res picture of how the bars from the above pattern appear on my tv/monitor: mediafire.com/download.php?m2wd3wjjizm
post #187 of 1146 Old 07-03-2009, 07:07 AM

nawoa, try this these picture settings of the LH55 from CNET (same TV with 240hz):

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...esults#3053896
post #188 of 1146 Old 07-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

I think I will have to return my second 32LH30.[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG] It is making this annoying crackling/popping sound occasionally. The sound is not coming from the speakers. I think the sound is coming from inside the panel. It usually happens when I turn the TV on and continues for the next hour. Once the TV has warmed up, the sound will stop but if I turn the TV off and then back on, the sound comes back.

I see LG has come out with a new model LF11. It's on sale this week at Best Buy. It has a slightly lower contrast ratio. I will take a look and make a decision soon.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Definitely don't just keep the one you have if its giving you trouble..The LF11 looks good so if you can get it & return the other you should be good to go.
post #189 of 1146 Old 07-03-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I returned my 32LH30 today.

I've been to 3 different Best Buys this week looking for a 32LF11 on display but none of the stores have one out. They have plenty in stock but none on display. Also, there haven't been any reviews of the LF11 yet, so I am skeptical of buying a TV that 1) I can't see, 2) Is a brand new model and 3) Has no reviews yet.

The price of the LF11 went on a bigger sale this weekend. Check out BB's website to see the incredibly low price.

I've been thru 3 LG TV's in the past 2 months. Maybe I should consider a different brand.
post #190 of 1146 Old 07-03-2009, 10:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

I returned my 32LH30 today.

I've been to 3 different Best Buys this week looking for a 32LF11 on display but none of the stores have one out. They have plenty in stock but none on display. Also, there haven't been any reviews of the LF11 yet, so I am skeptical of buying a TV that 1) I can't see, 2) Is a brand new model and 3) Has no reviews yet.

The price of the LF11 went on a bigger sale this weekend. Check out BB's website to see the incredibly low price.

I've been thru 3 LG TV's in the past 2 months. Maybe I should consider a different brand.

That is a great price. Anyone know the quality of the 32lf11 panel? brightness and dynamic contrast are down on the vs the 32lh30 but for the price i'm thinking it might be worth it to just go for the lf11 vs the lh30
post #191 of 1146 Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketknight73 View Post

I have noticeable audio lag with my 47" thru HDMI(input 1) on my Pace HD cable box. Switched to Component and it was fixed. Xbox 360 is also connected thru HDMI(input 2) and I notice NO lag whatsoever ,games or movies. Any ideas?
I've switched HDMI cables and even hooked the Pace box to another LCD (32" LG) and it had no noticeable lag at all. Confusing..

Same problem here. 47LH40, slight lag when using HDMI and my cable box (SA 8300HD). No lag detected with a WD TV through HDMI.

No lag with the cable box lag connected with component, or when connected through my receiver. Very strange.
post #192 of 1146 Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawoa View Post

Hi, I've been searching the web desperately for the last couple of days, it looks like I've finally found the right place to talk about this.

I bought an LG 32LH40 yesterday, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. Or, I was, until I noticed some pretty nasty blurring of reds and blues. Since this thread is filled with people who own this set, I can give you an example of where the problem is easily visible and you can (please, please) tell me if you have the same problem.

This site has a bunch of color calibration images, but the one for simple contrast shows it best: lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php (you need a www before that, I think. It's my first post, I can't do URLs yet...)

On my screen (regardless of any adjustments) the top blue bar is blurred at every step of brightness. It also blends into the background slightly. The blue isn't TOO bad, really. I can probably live with it.

The next line (green) looks perfect, as does the following teal line.

The red line though... it's a mess. At every step of brightness, the red is blurred together. It looks like crappy JPG compression, is the best way to describe it. It also blends into the background a bit. All red text seems a bit blurry on this set, especially against a black background.

The purple right below the red is also quite bad.

Strangely, the yellow is absolutely flawless, and the gray is also.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Here are some of the things I've tried to fix it:

-Gone into CCC and tried different pixel formats (rebooting after each)
-Adjusted color intensity settings on the TV
-Individually adjusted all red settings in advanced mode on the TV
-Recalibrated the display about 20 times with Windows 7's built-in color management
-Reset all settings, both on TV and windows, several times
-Tried a new, shorter HDMI cable (this one I verified is definitely HDMI 1.3a spec)
-Tried a VGA cable
-Tried different HDMI ports
-Tried naming the HDMI port "PC"
-Tried gaming mode and all other modes
-Adjusted sharpness, brightness, contrast
-Changed EVERY advanced picture control setting

I'm a very computer-literate game developer, but I'm at my wit's end trying to find out why this positively goregous TV set, which is better than anything I expected in every other regard, has this one bizarre problem.

I'm down to two last ideas - one, tomorrow I'll try getting a DVI-D to HDMI cable. I've read that this can sort of confuse (?) the graphics card into not trying to "enhance" the picture by making it think it's connecting to a regular monitor, not a TV. It's a stretch, but I'm desperate. The only other possibility is exchanging this thing for another one, or else returning it altogether.

...But that's such a painful idea! Going back to a 22" TN panel (albeit a very good Samsung) is torture after using this thing for two days. This set's so amazing for movies and general-purpose use, but I need it to have good color accuracy and sharpness or it's useless to me for the purpose I bought it.

Anyone!?

edit:
my system specs are
Windows 7 RC x86
Asus P5B-E
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6 ghz
4 gigs of RAM (yes, only 3 are usable right now)
MSI Radeon 4890 w/ 1 gig GDDR5, overclocked (not much)
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum (I think)

I also tried it on an HP laptop w/ VGA-out. Same problem. It was equipped with an ATI graphics chipset though, so I will try my old 8800 GTS in my main computer tomorrow to see if it's an ATI thing... just to rule that out. I think this might be an intentional color-processing thing by either the graphics card or the TV, since after all if both red and blue are screwy, and they must be combined to make a lot of other colors, why aren't those other colors getting screwed up as well? So far I've only noticed purple (red+blue, duh) is noticeably blurry besides red and blue on their own. I will take pictures tomorrow.

edit 2: Stayed up a few extra minutes, I hope it was worth it. Here is a high res picture of how the bars from the above pattern appear on my tv/monitor: mediafire.com/download.php?m2wd3wjjizm

nawoa I have the same problem with red text. I have my lh30 connected to my pc via dvi-hdmi cable. Red text tends to blur on this set, and I have not found a way to fix this. If anybody has settings to fix this please post them. Thanks.
post #193 of 1146 Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW View Post

You know I haven't hooked up a VGA cable yet but I thought I read in the manual (not printed btw, they give you a disc), that it only does 1366x768 through VGA. I'll have to confirm that later. But that would explain the crappy text. I have no intentions of ever using an analog signal to this TV so for me it's not an issue but I know it will affect those who only have a VGA out on their laptops. Edit Nope I was wrong, just checked the manual again, it does support 1920x768 through d-sub RGB. I got confused by it listing the LH20's specs right beside it. I hate when they make one manual for so many different panels.

Also I should note, even via DVI-HDMI, your text will look horrible until you swich to "Just Scan" mode and reduce the default sharpness setting from 70 down to 50. After those two are satisfied, you'll enjoy crisp clear text in windows.

Did you ever confirm that? It looks like the manual says you can only adjust the position of the output on the screen at that resolution, but it would accept 1920x1080 through HDMI and PC. Can anyone confirm? I'm semi-interested in an LH40.
post #194 of 1146 Old 07-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Hi all! I have ordered my 32" LH30 and can't wait for it to come in.

Just one question. I plan on playing my Xbox 360 on this, and I was wondering if anyone could test how big of a difference in input lag there is between using the HDMI or VGA. I ask because the VGA cord is $30-40 and I'd rather see how much I'm gaining for my money.

Thanks in advance!
post #195 of 1146 Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM

What's the difference between the 32LH30 and the 32LF11? The LF11 is about $80 cheaper right now at Best Buy.

I mainly want this TV as a 32" computer monitor. Mostly for just general desktop stuff but the occasional game. Are they both good for the job?
post #196 of 1146 Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Also, what are the possible computer resolutions for the 32LH30?
post #197 of 1146 Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM

My apologies if I missed it in this thread, but was the LG XXLH30 ever tested for input lag against a CRT?
post #198 of 1146 Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 AM

Theirlaw, I tested it and posted my results on this thread. The thing is that they varied according to the number of the display in clone mode (primary or secondary). If it was primary sometimes I would have 0-10 ms. As secondary it would do 50-60ms. O_O

I would like too see someone's else do this test. C'mon, people! We need some results here
post #199 of 1146 Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumination View Post

Hi all! I have ordered my 32" LH30 and can't wait for it to come in.

Just one question. I plan on playing my Xbox 360 on this, and I was wondering if anyone could test how big of a difference in input lag there is between using the HDMI or VGA. I ask because the VGA cord is $30-40 and I'd rather see how much I'm gaining for my money.

Thanks in advance!

Keep an eye here, I'll do it as soon as mine arrives. Though on HDMI I'm hard-pressed to tell any difference from a 20MGX2 Nec screen (Cult favorite for it's speed in PC monitor land) I'll do some side-by-sides with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainx07 View Post

nawoa I have the same problem with red text. I have my lh30 connected to my pc via dvi-hdmi cable. Red text tends to blur on this set, and I have not found a way to fix this. If anybody has settings to fix this please post them. Thanks.

I don't have this problem. My panel is June '09 Mexico. No dither issues either. (most times when people see this in certain situations is due to video compression/encoding. I know this as a video producer/editor. Even some games are known to cheat this for performance gains. Problem is if you have a NICE monitor, you notice...!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post

What's the difference between the 32LH30 and the 32LF11? The LF11 is about $80 cheaper right now at Best Buy.

I mainly want this TV as a 32" computer monitor. Mostly for just general desktop stuff but the occasional game. Are they both good for the job?

My best buy didn't know, but the LH30 is not discontinued and still in production (mine made june). LH11 they think has less options for picture controls and a different panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirlaw View Post

My apologies if I missed it in this thread, but was the LG XXLH30 ever tested for input lag against a CRT?

No, but I think I have an old 19 in in garage, or can obtain one from a friend. Will see what I can do.
post #200 of 1146 Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 AM

First of all, very informative thread. I'm new to the whole LCD/Plasma HDTV thing (owned tube TVs forever)...but looking to get a flat panel HDTV in the next few weeks.

I'm going to use the TV primarily for gaming (XBOX360). Sounds like the LH30 is the way to go as far as avoiding as much input lag as possible (with an LCD). This is very important to me because I play a lot of fighting games (Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, etc.).

However, since I"m not planning on using this TV as a computer monitor, would I simply be better by going with a Plasma??? Everything I've read seems to make it sound like a Plasma would have even less input lag then the best LCD TVs (or at least, something in my price range of around $1200 or less such as the LG TVs).

The thing that originally steered me away from Plasma was that I've heard so much about burn in. Sometimes I'll be watching a movie on my current TV, fall asleep, and wake up 8 hours later with the Xbox/TV still on.

I'm just really confused as to what to buy at this point. I'm looking for something 42"-47" for Xbox360 gaming w/limited amounts of TV watching & I don't do Blu-Ray.

It sounds like the 47LH30 would be my best bet for an LCD...but what about Plasma? ARGHHH! Just when I thought I found the perfect TV, this whole Plasma thing has come to light.

I swear I've been trying to figure out what I should buy for the last 3 months or so and I STILL don't know how to spend my $$$. lol.
post #201 of 1146 Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 AM

LH30 is a good bet, grab it at a Best Buy, and just give it a shot. When it comes to input lag... Not all plasmas are created equal. My friend in Tokyo has a pioneer Plasma (Head office right next to where he and I lived lol, with nice jaw dropping showroom). It to him had no input lag. It to me was unsuitable to play any fighter. Drove me mad, could NEVER make any combos properly (I was always "to fast") now at an arcade with the CRT for streetfighter I was just fine, or even the LCD's they now use for Blaze/SF4 and many others, I was again just fine, just had to a tinge slower.

I'd just give it a try. or if want to be evil consumerist, go threw 2-4 of them in a week (pick them up diffrent places, I got 2 BB, 1 Costco) and pick the best.
post #202 of 1146 Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhilz View Post

LH30 is a good bet, grab it at a Best Buy, and just give it a shot. When it comes to input lag... Not all plasmas are created equal. My friend in Tokyo has a pioneer Plasma (Head office right next to where he and I lived lol, with nice jaw dropping showroom). It to him had no input lag. It to me was unsuitable to play any fighter. Drove me mad, could NEVER make any combos properly (I was always "to fast") now at an arcade with the CRT for streetfighter I was just fine, or even the LCD's they now use for Blaze/SF4 and many others, I was again just fine, just had to a tinge slower.

I'd just give it a try. or if want to be evil consumerist, go threw 2-4 of them in a week (pick them up diffrent places, I got 2 BB, 1 Costco) and pick the best.

Yeah, I'm going to try and pick up an LH30 in the next couple weeks to try it out. As a huge fighting game fan, it would be devastating if I couldn't properly play BlazBlue online because of my TV limitations.

The whole monkey wrench in my scenario is that now I'm considering Plasma for even less input lag. Problem is that I don't know where to start when looking at quality Plasma TVs.
post #203 of 1146 Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanssen83 View Post

Yeah, I'm going to try and pick up an LH30 in the next couple weeks to try it out. As a huge fighting game fan, it would be devastating if I couldn't properly play BlazBlue online because of my TV limitations.

The whole monkey wrench in my scenario is that now I'm considering Plasma for even less input lag. Problem is that I don't know where to start when looking at quality Plasma TVs.

I'd give both a shot. Buy one of each. Only problem with plasma it's a lot more expensive for 1080p. Then there still is a bit of a burn in problem (would not want to fall asleep)
post #204 of 1146 Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW View Post

Holy crap. I think I've finally found my LZ800 killer/equivalent!

For those that know me, I've been searching for a certain HDTV that I can use as a PC monitor for months now and have gotten to the point of giving up. I've finally found my monitor. Here's my quick review (some pros will be in cons too because their acceptable levels vary amongst ppl greatly).

Pros:
- Good colors out of the box. Minor tweaking here and there.
- No dead pixels, No stuck pixels, No clouding
- Edit: Spoke too soon: Red/Blue text on black back ground is fuzzy like LZ800/LZ85s in Standard mode. Not fuzzy in "PC" mode. Perfectly clear text in windows (at sharpness 50 with minor or no edge enhancement).
- Semi-gloss (best of both worlds?)
- Light for a 37 inch (good for ppl who live in apartments and need to move alot and LAN parties)
- Good looking bezel
- Video & Picture PQ, in my opinion BETTER than a Samsung B550 (b550, if you read my review, had a noisy picture - this is easily a b550 killer. Especially if you compare input lag)
- Windows GUI looks just like my LG Flatron w2600H computer LCD, just bigger. Finally! No double ghost image like the mitsu, no up close red/blue convergence issue like a samsung (when not in PC mode), no fuzzy text like sony (when not in picture mode), etc, etc. It litterally works like a quality computer monitor but just huge.
- Fast responsive menu system (unlike the laggy a750/a650)
- Small & simple remote that works WELL for once
- Viewing angles are decent
- bright screen
- blacks are decent
- swivel stand (sturdier than samsungs)

- Saved the best pro for last - one of the lowest input lag of any HDTV (besides LZ800)!!! This is what i've been waiting for folks! A samsung/sony level of PQ or better with the input lag of the infamous LZ800 IPS panel. WooHOO!

Cons:
- Just came out so expect to pay near full MSRP.
- not 120hz or LED?
- Edit: Turns out it was in a submenu I didn't see so this flaw is incorrect!
Can't configure individual colors (thankfully the colors look good out of the box) No red push like the Panny LZ series. No green push like many toshibas. Whites are nice and white. But regardless if the colors look good, it's better to have the options to play with em.

- Edit: According to Product Wiki, this IS an IPS screen. An S-IPS so that explains why the viewing angles aren't quite as good as the LZ800 (IPS-Alpha) but still good nonetheless. It also explains it's low input latency. When viewing from Left to right, it holds contrast quite well, however standing above the display and looking down on it, the picture loses some contrast. Viewing angles are OK (not IPS panel worthy but not bad either)
- blacks are decent (not samsung b series worthy but not bad either)

Here are the lag comparison (clone mode, 37LH30 primary, Flatron W2600H secondary). Just for reference the Flatron W2600H is about the same speed as an Panasonic LZ800, maybe just a hair faster. So if a new HDTV can keep up with it or *gasp* beat it, you know you're getting closer to the holy grail (CRT like input lag). Sadly most LCDs are getting LAGGIER rather than faster, even next gen 60hz ones (besides this new LG). LG in Standard (user) Dynamic Contrast off, Dynamic Color off, NR off, Eye Care off, Edge Enhancer on Low, OPC off.

There you have it. That's better than the Samsung A series when HDMI2 is labeled "PC". This is what I've been WAITING FOR.
BTW, this LG allows you to label your input PC and it DOES have an affect (screen blinks out and back in and MANY options are grayed out). It's might be possible that PC mode on this LG might reduce the lag even further. Something I'll have to test later. For those who've been waiting for a good HDTV as a pc screen, you have to check out LG's LH series (dunno about their other 09 panels yet).

interesting thread. can you post the hardware you are using to test the input lag? also explain what you are comparing in the two picture displays. maybe i missed it somewhere, but you didnt say how you are measuring them you just showed some pictures of a couple of displays and numbers on them. i have the 47lg70 and i really like the results i get with ps3, real cinema on, trumotion off, justscan when i watch blurays.. i would like to test input lag on mine so please tell me your set up and methodology..

thanks so much for all your hard work.
post #205 of 1146 Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 View Post

interesting thread. can you post the hardware you are using to test the input lag? also explain what you are comparing in the two picture displays. maybe i missed it somewhere, but you didnt say how you are measuring them you just showed some pictures of a couple of displays and numbers on them. i have the 47lg70 and i really like the results i get with ps3, real cinema on, trumotion off, justscan when i watch blurays.. i would like to test input lag on mine so please tell me your set up and methodology..

thanks so much for all your hard work.

The couple of number is the same output. Both panel display the same & exact output(Known as clone screen output on a graphic card).

Well the timer run in real time in millisecond & the number will differ from the other screen because one lag more than the other & you mesure by making the difference between both panel which is a very accurate test unlike other method.

If you click on those pic you will see that the number are starting to fade while the other didn't.

KVW test is pretty much unuseful since they are only progressive signal. The worst case scenario would be 30ms in game mode which is acceptable for most gamers.

Though in 480i that's where it matter. game mode is needed since a lot of PlayStation 2 games run in 480i & doesn't support 480P.

By the way KVW I wasn't lying when I said I was about to get a new panel. I recently bought a Panasonic TC-P46G15.

Unfortunately it lag more than my LZ800.
post #206 of 1146 Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 AM

I'm also a gamer who wants low lag. Currently I have an old 32" LG TV that has really bad contrast and black levels (32LC2R), but colors are nice and lag delay is really low, I can play Street Fighter IV just fine. I also watch lots of HD material from my PC (specially 1080i from japan), for that the TV lacks a little punch (my old CRT sony TV had really amazing black levels)

I want to upgrade my TV, to a 40-42" size, but there aren't many options in my country (Bolivia, South America). The current highest end TV over here is the samsung a650 (2008 tech, yeah I know), but I see it's a really popular (and good) TV.

Good news is that LG's best non LED model is arriving soon, the LH70 (which wasn't released in the US). It has pretty good specs, 100000:1 contrast ratio, 2.5ms, 120hz and some interesting extras, like bluetooth connectivity, USB with Divx HD playback (also supports MKV container, MPEG2, H264 codecs, etc) and ambient light sensor. Also, it looks pretty sexy.

Since my primary concerns are black levels and input lag, the a650 could make a good set for me (I watch HD material from my PC, I don't know how good a PC monitor the a650 is), but interestingly, the LG is gonna be cheaper (and on paper, is the superior TV) so I'm waiting for that set.

Since the LH70 should have better black levels than the LH30, I'd like to know how good the LH30 black levels are, when compared to the A650. So I'd appreciate if anyone who has seen both TVs could give his/her opinion.
post #207 of 1146 Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

KVW mentions it somewhere towards begining of this thread (the two tv's) but do realize, 120hz makes it laggier, and contrast ratio spec is false... it is just marketing... It's all dynamic, in reality might only be around 1000:1 or so (mind you having dynamic contrast makes it laggier too...)

read the samsung thread, might be what u want more
post #208 of 1146 Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM

I just bought the 47 as a wedding gift for my son. They will use it just as a TV - not for gaming.

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for adjustments for this new out of the box TV?

I found a great price on it at BestBuy. Since I am traveling 300 miles to their house, I was able to find a store that had this TV in stock by putting in various zip codes. I've already received the email saying it is ready for pickup. Any advice on what to look out for (if anything) when I pick it up. How do I make sure this is not a returned TV?
post #209 of 1146 Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 AM

*sigh*

Things were going GREAT with this set for me.....

Until I got into this thread, and noticed guys talking about the red text issue..

At first, I notice it RIGHT off the bat, but I thought it was a setting. After reading numerous calibration tweaks, the whole PC label thing, etc. I have come to the conclusion it's a FLAW with this screen.

IT REALLY breaks my heart, as I love the set. But, I bought it because I not only wanted a good gaming/secondary PC display, but I wanted it for use in Photoshop and such. Ive done lots of tests, and if ANYONE can miraculously fix this issue, thatd be great.... Otherwise, this is going back to Future Shop. I got it for a great price, and the honeymoon was sweet, but damn this one off flaw.

No matter WHAT setting I change, red text on a black background is a mess, a blurry mess.....
post #210 of 1146 Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can you set the TV to Just Scan (0% overscan) every resolution or is it limited to 720p and 1080i/p?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page