Lg xxlh30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1146 Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone seen one of these yet? I'm in the market for a 40/42" LCD and this one made my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1146 Old 04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
KVW

Just picked up a 37inch at BB. I'll let you know my impressions.

For the guys that know me, I know I know... Lol!

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 05:25 AM
KVW

Holy crap. I think I've finally found my LZ800 killer/equivalent!

For those that know me, I've been searching for a certain HDTV that I can use as a PC monitor for months now and have gotten to the point of giving up. I've finally found my monitor. Here's my quick review (some pros will be in cons too because their acceptable levels vary amongst ppl greatly).

Pros:
- Good colors out of the box. Minor tweaking here and there.
- No dead pixels, No stuck pixels, No clouding
- Edit: Spoke too soon: Red/Blue text on black back ground is fuzzy like LZ800/LZ85s in Standard mode. Not fuzzy in "PC" mode. Perfectly clear text in windows (at sharpness 50 with minor or no edge enhancement).
- Semi-gloss (best of both worlds?)
- Light for a 37 inch (good for ppl who live in apartments and need to move alot and LAN parties)
- Good looking bezel
- Video & Picture PQ, in my opinion BETTER than a Samsung B550 (b550, if you read my review, had a noisy picture - this is easily a b550 killer. Especially if you compare input lag)
- Windows GUI looks just like my LG Flatron w2600H computer LCD, just bigger. Finally! No double ghost image like the mitsu, no up close red/blue convergence issue like a samsung (when not in PC mode), no fuzzy text like sony (when not in picture mode), etc, etc. It litterally works like a quality computer monitor but just huge.
- Fast responsive menu system (unlike the laggy a750/a650)
- Small & simple remote that works WELL for once
- Viewing angles are decent
- bright screen
- blacks are decent
- swivel stand (sturdier than samsungs)

- Saved the best pro for last - one of the lowest input lag of any HDTV (besides LZ800)!!! This is what i've been waiting for folks! A samsung/sony level of PQ or better with the input lag of the infamous LZ800 IPS panel. WooHOO!

Cons:
- Just came out so expect to pay near full MSRP.
- not 120hz or LED?
- Edit: Turns out it was in a submenu I didn't see so this flaw is incorrect!
Can't configure individual colors (thankfully the colors look good out of the box) No red push like the Panny LZ series. No green push like many toshibas. Whites are nice and white. But regardless if the colors look good, it's better to have the options to play with em.

- Edit: According to Product Wiki, this IS an IPS screen. An S-IPS so that explains why the viewing angles aren't quite as good as the LZ800 (IPS-Alpha) but still good nonetheless. It also explains it's low input latency. When viewing from Left to right, it holds contrast quite well, however standing above the display and looking down on it, the picture loses some contrast. Viewing angles are OK (not IPS panel worthy but not bad either)
- blacks are decent (not samsung b series worthy but not bad either)

Here are the lag comparison (clone mode, 37LH30 primary, Flatron W2600H secondary). Just for reference the Flatron W2600H is about the same speed as an Panasonic LZ800, maybe just a hair faster. So if a new HDTV can keep up with it or *gasp* beat it, you know you're getting closer to the holy grail (CRT like input lag). Sadly most LCDs are getting LAGGIER rather than faster, even next gen 60hz ones (besides this new LG). LG in Standard (user) Dynamic Contrast off, Dynamic Color off, NR off, Eye Care off, Edge Enhancer on Low, OPC off.

There you have it. That's better than the Samsung A series when HDMI2 is labeled "PC". This is what I've been WAITING FOR.
BTW, this LG allows you to label your input PC and it DOES have an affect (screen blinks out and back in and MANY options are grayed out). It's might be possible that PC mode on this LG might reduce the lag even further. Something I'll have to test later. For those who've been waiting for a good HDTV as a pc screen, you have to check out LG's LH series (dunno about their other 09 panels yet).

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
For a few dollars more, you might want to check out the LH40 series as well. I've seen the 32" and 42" models in the store and was thoroughly impressed. The LH40 has an advertised dynamic contrast ratio of 80,000:1, unbelievable for a TV in this price range.
post #5 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 05:42 AM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

For a few dollars more, you might want to check out the LH40 series as well. I've seen the 32" and 42" models in the store and was thoroughly impressed. The LH40 has an advertised dynamic contrast ratio of 80,000:1, unbelievable for a TV in this price range.

The LH40 is with the 120hz and motion smoothing correct? I'm afraid of what kind of input lag it will add. IF it doesn't add any more input lag or has a way to put it in to a mode that is as fast as a LH30, LG is going to be popular this year!

post #6 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Glad to hear you finally settled on a TV KVW

BTW have you read about my adventures of finding out that my 32xbr6 does have a 60hz motionflow processor and how to make it work properly to get a mild SOE effect and reduced judder? I was shocked to say the least as its a 60hz TV

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on
post #7 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
KVW

Yah thanks man. It was pure luck and spontanous that I bothered renting this display. It looks like a keeper! Unless the LH40 is just as lag free.

Wow so how'd you manage that? A bios hack? I knew motion smoothing technology could be done without 120hz. Even powerdvd does frame interpolation to smooth motion on non-blue ray titles. You must be loving your display now!

post #8 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW View Post

Yah thanks man. It was pure luck and spontanous that I bothered renting this display. It looks like a keeper! Unless the LH40 is just as lag free.

Wow so how'd you manage that? A bios hack? I knew motion smoothing technology could be done without 120hz. Even powerdvd does frame interpolation to smooth motion on non-blue ray titles. You must be loving your display now!

no hacks its part of cinemotion set at auto 1 but ONLY works if the output device is set at 60hz!!! NOT 24p !

works fairly well too, it does not remove judder completely everywhere just reduces it quite a bit on medium to fast camera pans. slow movements are completely smoothed though

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on
post #9 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

no hacks its part of cinemotion set at auto 1 but ONLY works if the output device is set at 60hz!!! NOT 24p !

works fairly well too, it does not remove judder completely everywhere just reduces it quite a bit on medium to fast camera pans. slow movements are completely smoothed though

It's awesome when you find out something nice about something you purchased later isn't it.

Right now I'm really estatic about this display. It's about freakin time! Now if only i can keep this i7 cool enough with air @ 4ghz (today has been the "hot day" test. I'm hitting some scary temps under full load (prime95)). Alas, it appears i will have to clock it down after all. But Crysis on max settings on this 37" is an absolute joy-ride.

post #10 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's awesome when you find out something nice about something you purchased later isn't it.

Right now I'm really estatic about this display. It's about freakin time! Now if only i can keep this i7 cool enough with air @ 4ghz (today has been the "hot day" test. I'm hitting some scary temps under full load (prime95)). Alas, it appears i will have to clock it down after all. But Crysis on max settings on this 37" is an absolute joy-ride.

Cool. Yeah it was hot today I had to breakout my small AC and stick it in the window to keep myself and the PC cool. my bothers opteron in the living room was burning up so hot that it made the 7800 GT's temp alarm go off (audible alarm on the video card itself)

I check his temps and the CPU was at 150F and the video card was hovering around 100C !!!!

post #11 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 07:35 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

Cool. Yeah it was hot today I had to breakout my small AC and stick it in the window to keep myself and the PC cool. my bothers opteron in the living room was burning up so hot that it made the 7800 GT's temp alarm go off (audible alarm on the video card itself)

I check his temps and the CPU was at 150F and the video card was hovering around 100C !!!!

Haha GPU's run hot anyways but 100c is pretty bad. I haven't even checked my gtx260 temps. Just been running prime and memtest, trying to find a safe but aggressive compromise on this cpu. Just installed vista64 too, nice seeing 6 gigs of ram available for once. You still on IM, I hardly ever see you on there these days...

post #12 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha GPU's run hot anyways but 100c is pretty bad. I haven't even checked my gtx260 temps. Just been running prime and memtest, trying to find a safe but aggressive compromise on this cpu. Just installed vista64 too, nice seeing 6 gigs of ram available for once. You still on IM, I hardly ever see you on there these days...

yeah i forget to log on cuz im using meebo due to not being able to remember my aim pw

post #13 of 1146 Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
KVW

So it turns out I missed an area in it's menu system that allows you to adjust individual colors. So I need to edit out that flaw which make this display that much better.

post #14 of 1146 Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 AM
KVW

Just got through watching Kung Fu Panda via PowerDVD. Excuse the giddyness but... I'm totally and completely satisified with this purchase. Black levels are not Samsung B series black but more like 08 Sony Z series level (just like the 40z4100 I tested which is good). The picture had plenty of pop giving that 3d feeling, colors are accurate, motion handling one of the BEST i've seen for a 60hz only topped by a B650's revised AMP.

But the best part is: No fussing with modes or changing settings for different applications like for movies, games, or web browsing. Just one mode for all yeilding a great picture quality without black crush, blurry text, or heavy input lag.

... I'm simply in love with this set. After purchasing returning around 15 LCD displays over the past 4 months. I never throught I'd say that.

post #15 of 1146 Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 AM

Hey guys, I just picked up the 47" lh30 from BB this weekend. I absolutely love this TV. I have been holding out on buying my first HDTV but found this too good a deal to pass up. What calibration settings are you using for movies?
post #16 of 1146 Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline1273 View Post

Hey guys, I just picked up the 47" lh30 from BB this weekend. I absolutely love this TV. I have been holding out on buying my first HDTV but found this too good a deal to pass up. What calibration settings are you using for movies?

I haven't messed with the individual color calibrations yet but when I get home, I'll list what my current settings are at which i'm pretty satisfied with. I'm sure there's still some fine tuning left.

Take it from me, someone who has had ~15 LCDs to compare from - it's an awesome set. Enjoy the TV!!!

post #17 of 1146 Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM

I've been contemplating purchasing the 47" primarily for gaming. Do you think the larger size would have any effect on input lag? I'm presuming they have the same internals so they would have similiar performance but I'm afraid I might be missing something. Unfortunately the Best Buy near me doesn't have this model in stock, so I can't just pick one up and test it out.
post #18 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmnesiacOpera View Post

I've been contemplating purchasing the 47" primarily for gaming. Do you think the larger size would have any effect on input lag? I'm presuming they have the same internals so they would have similiar performance but I'm afraid I might be missing something. Unfortunately the Best Buy near me doesn't have this model in stock, so I can't just pick one up and test it out.

According to product wiki, these displays ARE S-IPS. That would explain their awesome input latency.

I don't see why the 47 inch would behave any differently.
I guess you *could* wait for someone to confirm it. You could also buy it from a vendor like amazon so you can return it if you get any unwanted surprises.

post #19 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM

I've seen the LG 32lh40 in the store and was blown away. The picture quality was second to none. If I am correct, the lh30 is nearly identical, with the biggest difference being 60hz in the lh30 vs. 120hz with motion flow in the lh40. If so, then it would definitely be very high on my list. Right now I'm considering the lh20 since the lh30 is a little out of my price range. LG seems to have made some great TV's this year...in all ranges.
post #20 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
KVW

Quote:

According to product wiki, these displays ARE S-IPS. That would explain their awesome input latency.

I don't see why the 47 inch would behave any differently.
I guess you *could* wait for someone to confirm it. You could also buy it from a vendor like amazon so you can return it if you get any unwanted surprises.

You know what, I may just go ahead and exchange my 37" out for a 42" since I'd prefer 40-42" for muti-use (big screen pc gaming & movie watching). That and the price point appears to be the best for a 42" according to their msrp. After 42 it jumps way up in price for no good reason:
32 = $800
37 = $900
42 = $1000
47 = $1400 (wtf?)

Anyways i'll do a input lag test on the 42 and see if size makes any difference at all.

post #21 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM

I went to BB a couple of days ago looking at 37" LCD tvs since our old 27" CRT tv just died about a week ago.

In my non-expert opinion, the two that had the best picture quality I thought on display in 37" was the LG LH30 and the Samsung B650. The Samsung looked best, I think due to it having a glossy screen and better CR. Unfortunetly, they didn't have the LH40 out for viewing. I would have liked to seen that one since its screen is glossy and has a better CR and 120hz. The one thing I didn't like about the LG LH30 was its bezel at the bottom right where it buldges out a little and has a bright blue light. That might be a little annoying at night, I don't know.

For anyone who owns the LH30 or LH40, How is the sound quality? I see that it has Dolby Digital 5.1. I played with the Samsung B650 a bit and the sound was pitiful. I didn't have time to play with the LG sound, but I would guess that with the Dolby Digital 5.1 it is much better.
post #22 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

You know what, I may just go ahead and exchange my 37" out for a 42" since I'd prefer 40-42" for muti-use (big screen pc gaming & movie watching). That and the price point appears to be the best for a 42" according to their msrp. After 42 it jumps way up in price for no good reason:
32 = $800
37 = $900
42 = $1000
47 = $1400 (wtf?)

Anyways i'll do a input lag test on the 42 and see if size makes any difference at all.

How about getting a smaller LH40 and see if THAT lag is any worse? If it is, then just get the 42" LH30.
post #23 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
KVW

Good news is, 42" isn't any slower than the 37".

Bad news is, no results for an LH40 yet. Best Buy near me didn't have any. I'll check this weekend to see if they get any LH40s, in the mean time, I need to return this 37"... For only 100 bucks more, these extra 5 inches is

/borat voice: VEDDY NICE!

Seriously. No visual loss from growing 5 inches, just as beautiful as the 37. God I love this set.

Oh and again on this new set, no clouding, flashlighting, dead or stuck pixels. That's 2 for 2. GO LG! I know last year ya' kinda sucked, but you are going to be quite popular in 09!

post #24 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Liked: 11
Can you test in 480i, I may recommend this panel to some people if it has good value in this resolution.

I use older system & there's a lot of Bemani games that are stuck in SD.(I may get one if it's under 1.5K for a secondary display for my PC)

post #25 of 1146 Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

Can you test in 480i, I may recommend this panel to some people if it has good value in this resolution.

I use older system & there's a lot of Bemani games that are stuck in SD.(I may get one if it's under 1.5K for a secondary display for my PC)

I don't even think i can put this display in 480i over hdmi. 800x600 @ 60 or 59hz is all it allows me to go down to. LOL

post #26 of 1146 Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't even think i can put this display in 480i over hdmi. 800x600 @ 60 or 59hz is all it allows me to go down to. LOL

Nah, you just use a S-video or Composite. It's obvious you can't use SD with HDMI. There's always a S-video output on a graphic card anyway.

EDIT:

Without the SD(480i) result, those result become unuseful since the input lag become problematic in 480i for most HDTV. The SD test is very useful fpr those who enjoy playing PlayStation, Playstation 2, SNES, NES, genesis system or capture sequence in realtime via capture card(most can only record in 480i).

I believe it should technically low in 480i, but who know...

My very first panel lagged of 30ms in HD(HDMI, Component), but once the signal were interlaced... it lagged of 110ms. In vga there were no lag at all.

post #27 of 1146 Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't think the LH 30 has a QAM/ATSC tuner according to Cnet and LG.com

I know LG makes Zenith TV's, and there is a a Zenith Z42LC6DF 42" 1080P with QAM/ATSC at 6th Ave for $648. I don't know if the LG xlh30 is equivelant, but I was in the store and the PQ looked impressive. Just an FYI.
post #28 of 1146 Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Oh and again on this new set, no clouding, flashlighting, dead or stuck pixels. That's 2 for 2. GO LG! I know last year ya' kinda sucked, but you are going to be quite popular in 09!

So LG's quality has gone up this year? I was looking at the 32lh20, but was concerned about the possibility of clouding, flashlighting, dead or stuck pixels when compared to the similar Sony (32l5000). If their quality has gone up I might have to go for it...and I guess change my name on this site.
post #29 of 1146 Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan22 View Post

So LG's quality has gone up this year? I was looking at the 32lh20, but was concerned about the possibility of clouding, flashlighting, dead or stuck pixels when compared to the similar Sony (32l5000). If their quality has gone up I might have to go for it...and I guess change my name on this site.

Out of the 09 panels i've tested so far, the B550 and B650 had slight flashlighting in all 4 corners - Minor though, I wouldn't consider them deal breakers. Both had no dead/stuck pixels. B650 had stunning black levels and AMP was to die for. I loved it. I just didn't like the lag - it was the laggiest panel I've test thus far. The A750 and A650 both had some clouding and flashlighting, but it made up for it with it's great PQ (although the B650 topped it). Black levels were not as good as the new B series. The V4100 sony I tested had a stuck pixel and it bothered the hell outta me (right in the middle). The Z4100 sony didn't have any but like the A750/A650, did have a tiny bit of clouding/flashlighting. I would say the LH30 black levels are similar to the Z.

The problem with 08 LG is their contrast levels weren't so great and viewing angles were one of the worsts. This is because they were using a bunch of sharp panels which basically sucked. Now they're apparently back to using quality IPS panels (quality as in very little defects as stated before, clouding, flashlighting, dead/stuck pixels). I'm 2 for 2 on perfect looking LH30 displays. I've also looked very closely at Best Buy display models and can't find any dead/stuck pixels when pulling out there inputs. It's too bright to check for clouding/flashlighting but I'm confident it's non existant as well. LG also has a good video engine this year and it shows. I've must have watched the same scenes in blue ray matrix/kung fu panda/beowulf a million times by now as i use the same movie scenes for each panel and this LG is just as good or better than even Samsung's B650. I can't compare against Sony's XBR series (although i've read over and over again that the Z series is bascially the XBR) nor Samsung LED displays so I don't know if the PQ competes at that level.

Ultimately the best advice i can give you is buy from a vendor you can return from (like amazon) because no matter how much one person may like it, another person may hate it. It's just way too subjective. Because of that, it's worth it to buy from a vendor you can return to even if it cost you a little more. I know some of those online vendors out there have terrible return policies so be careful!

post #30 of 1146 Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Out of the 09 panels i've tested so far, the B550 and B650 had slight flashlighting in all 4 corners - Minor though, I wouldn't consider them deal breakers. Both had no dead/stuck pixels. B650 had stunning black levels and AMP was to die for. I loved it. I just didn't like the lag - it was the laggiest panel I've test thus far. The A750 and A650 both had some clouding and flashlighting, but it made up for it with it's great PQ (although the B650 topped it). Black levels were not as good as the new B series. The V4100 sony I tested had a stuck pixel and it bothered the hell outta me (right in the middle). The Z4100 sony didn't have any but like the A750/A650, did have a tiny bit of clouding/flashlighting. I would say the LH30 black levels are similar to the Z.

The problem with 08 LG is their contrast levels weren't so great and viewing angles were one of the worsts. This is because they were using a bunch of sharp panels which basically sucked. Now they're apparently back to using quality IPS panels (quality as in very little defects as stated before, clouding, flashlighting, dead/stuck pixels). I'm 2 for 2 on perfect looking LH30 displays. I've also looked very closely at Best Buy display models and can't find any dead/stuck pixels when pulling out there inputs. It's too bright to check for clouding/flashlighting but I'm confident it's non existant as well. LG also has a good video engine this year and it shows. I've must have watched the same scenes in blue ray matrix/kung fu panda/beowulf a million times by now as i use the same movie scenes for each panel and this LG is just as good or better than even Samsung's B650. I can't compare against Sony's XBR series (although i've read over and over again that the Z series is bascially the XBR) nor Samsung LED displays so I don't know if the PQ competes at that level.

Ultimately the best advice i can give you is buy from a vendor you can return from (like amazon) because no matter how much one person may like it, another person may hate it. It's just way too subjective. Because of that, it's worth it to buy from a vendor you can return to even if it cost you a little more. I know some of those online vendors out there have terrible return policies so be careful!

Thanks for all the info...very helpful. Now that I don't have any quality concerns, I might just have to go for the lh20 or wait for a sale on the lh30 . Just a couple other things I'm curious about. How is the glare on the screen, and is there any screen noise? Screen noise puts me off more than just about anything else (other than dead pixels).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page