Samsung BD-Wise, On or Off??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Just got a Samsung UN55B7100 and a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu Ray player.

When hooked together they use the "BD-Wise" feature and I'm not quite sure what the benefits are. It usually takes a few seconds to sync up using BD Wise and the big icon pops up a few times when there is No Signal while the player loads the DVD. Its a bit annoying and I was wondering if I should leave it on or turn it off.

If there are no great benefits for this feature then I'll turn it off. Please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6279 View Post

Hey guys,

Just got a Samsung UN55B7100 and a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu Ray player.

When hooked together they use the "BD-Wise" feature and I'm not quite sure what the benefits are. It usually takes a few seconds to sync up using BD Wise and the big icon pops up a few times when there is No Signal while the player loads the DVD. Its a bit annoying and I was wondering if I should leave it on or turn it off.

If there are no great benefits for this feature then I'll turn it off. Please let me know. Thanks!

Just got a Samsung LN46B650 and a Samsung Blue Ray Disk player. I have this guys same question. (I am currently scouring previous posts for an answer, but found this one and thought I'd *bump* it.)

mtc
(Great forum by the way)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 117
5,000 views and no one has answered this??

1. Is this a function of the player or the TV??
2. Does it just have to do with resolution or are there other factors and settings involved??
3. Is this just another 'gimmick'??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
All I have ever read are complaints against BD Wise. I've never heard one positive comment.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Found this at Samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t..._detail&mode=C

Apparently it's a feature of both the tv and the player by which communication between the two via the HDMI handshake "optimizes" tv settings for upconversion of standard dvds. Or maybe it's just a fancy name for the HDMI handshake?

Steve S.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All I have ever read are complaints against BD Wise. I've never heard one positive comment.

I guess I'm not surprised.
Quote:

automatically optimized picture settings

Which tells me nothing. Another automatic 'gimmick'. The owners manual states it sets resolution. I read that two different places. Only the term "resolution" was mentioned. Nothing about "picture settings", but since it is in the 'Mode' list, I would then assume it has to do with just another preset of misguided 'settings' which no one uses (that knows anything abut pre-configured settings).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 195
All I can say is that turning it off switches the pic mode to Standard everytime. If it's off and you turn it on and then off again, the pic mode will switch to Standard as well. I believe all it does is sets the resolution of the Samsung BD player to match the TV's optimal resolution automatically. Since I have a PS3, I haven't experienced this firsthand.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I believe all it does is sets the resolution of the Samsung BD player to match the TV's optimal resolution automatically.

That is what the owners manual seems to say.

Big deal.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When I picked up my BDP3600 and HDMI'ed it thru my Denon receiver to the LN52A860, I went round and round trying to turn things on and off... geez, it's like they had a mind of their own. So I shut off Anynet and, while I was at it, BDWise, too. Still in control.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Samsung loves to mess around with enhancement features and auto this and that, most of which actually have negative effects. I remember an entire model year during which the DNIE noise reduction feature, which cause a somewhat posterized effect on fleshtones could not be turned off!! There was an option to show a half-screen demo that showed one half with it off and the other with it on, and the off side always looked better from the standpoint of picture accuracy. And does anyone remember the debut Samsung BD player which came with a blurring digital noise filter that initially could not be turned off? (later fixed via firmware update after the studios and users complained.)

Steve S.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They are no different than most other manufactures. All they have now are 'gimmicks' to sell their sets. Samsung dropped DLP, which was their biggest mistake.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page