Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1956 Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Forget the B610. I did some research and it really isn't anywhere near the B630 in hardware. While you avoid the red tongue, you get a far inferior TV for not that much less money. So the B 630 is apparently the top end Samsung with a matte screen. Too bad. I'd really be interested in a B730 that copied everything from the top rated B750 except the Ultra Clear screen and gave us a matte screen to us in rooms with natural light.

On what basis do you conclude that the B610 is "far inferior" to the B630? All essential specs appear to be identical. What's missing from the B610 are a few extraneous features like Infolink, a USB movie port (the 610 has the usual USB port), and an ethernet connection. For those not caring about such things, the B610 would seem to be an ideal, somewhat less expensive alternative to the B630.

Now, if there are some missing menu options, etc., I might change my mind. But I see no reason to think any such issues exist. I should think the main reason for the B610 is not to undercut or alienate mainstream retailers by marketing an identical item (with identical bells and whistles) to heavy discounters. So my bet is that the B610 is, in fact, a B630 with just a few less (and not very important) features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1956 Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenport47 View Post

the B610 would seem to be an ideal, somewhat less expensive alternative to the B630.

I'm sure there are/will be sales at times, but I've been watching prices to some extent, and a current price check shows Amazon and a number of other sites selling the 52B630 for about $1955 including free delivery (and no tax for most of us). OTOH, the 52B610 ranges from $2087 to over $2200 (unless you've got some way out of paying tax at these stores and/or the shipping charge, in which case the 610 would still be $50 or more over the price of the 630). Hardware comparison aside, given this, I'm not sure why anyone would want a 610 instead of the 630 . . . .
post #93 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 AM

im hoping to go and pick it up tonight... it's so big i needed to get a van to bring it home... jeez.
post #94 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM

Hello guys

I got my 52B630 delivered today. I have couple of minor concerns here please help me..

1. When you installed your TV on the stand, how many screws did you use ? Delivery guys tried to set this for me and instruction manual says you should put 4 screws but we could see only 2 slots for them. Am I missing anything here ? Although TV stands fine with 2 screws on my table but I am a bit worried.

2. I did not have any manual book as such in the box, TV was new everything in factory sealed condition, I do have quick start manual but not the detailed one. I can download from web but was that not there in box for you too ?

3. I plugged in my Dishnetwork and PS3, picture looks great. But somehow movies do not seem like movies they look more like TV series. I am not sure how to explain this but you know when you watch movies they have different appearance than tv programs. This has nothing to do with either standard or movie mode and also nothing with 120hz on or off as I checked those. I guess I am missing something very trivial here. My 37" VIZIO makes a clean difference between normal TV programs and Movies as you expect so tell me what should I change ?

For the time being that is it, I will update more once I am done setting this ..!!
post #95 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM

I was seriously confused between 46b650 and 46b630.

630 has 80000:1 vs 100000:1 for 650
only one spec? difference in contrast?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM

The manual, isnt it on a memory stick in pdf format?

I hope it does not have soap opera I will be so disappointed....
post #97 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM

The major difference between the 46b650 and 46b630 is the Matte screen!!! No glare!
post #98 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro23 View Post

The major difference between the 46b650 and 46b630 is the Matte screen!!! No glare!

And because of the matte versus glossy screen, Samsung de-rates the dynamic contract performance of the matte screen version. Otherwise, they appear to be the same TV.
post #99 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 07:42 PM

Hello guys

I did sort out my two issues

1. The Manual which is not supposed to be there, so I am fine with the downloaded version.

2. The Cinema effect which I was not getting due to the Auto Motion turned on at Smooth or Standard. You should keep at "CLEAR" or "OFF" then Soap Opera Effect will not be there.

But I still need to know how many screws did you use to install the TV on the stand ? Manual says I should use four but I could only get two to get in the holes. Anyone had the same problem ?
post #100 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 View Post

I'm sure there are/will be sales at times, but I've been watching prices to some extent, and a current price check shows Amazon and a number of other sites selling the 52B630 for about $1955 including free delivery (and no tax for most of us). OTOH, the 52B610 ranges from $2087 to over $2200 (unless you've got some way out of paying tax at these stores and/or the shipping charge, in which case the 610 would still be $50 or more over the price of the 630). Hardware comparison aside, given this, I'm not sure why anyone would want a 610 instead of the 630 . . . .

You have a point for many people who don't mind mail-ordering big expensive TVs. Then again, a person can almost always afford a higher level of product in this way. (I've never found the hassles of mail-ordering---the long waits, potential returns, refunds, repackaging, trips to UPS, etc.---worth whatever savings you get. I want a large TV delivered to my home, unboxed, and set up on its stand. If I later find fault with it, I want it picked up and taken back. If I buy at Costco, at least it's a quick trip back and forth.)

That said, not all brick-and-mortar stores are good. Here in the Seattle area we have a place called Video Only. They don't post the model number of the TV on their display units, only the size. And if you buy a TV and don't like it, they give exchanges only. No refunds. Why anyone would shop there I have no idea.
post #101 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenport47 View Post

On what basis do you conclude that the B610 is "far inferior" to the B630? All essential specs appear to be identical. What's missing from the B610 are a few extraneous features like Infolink, a USB movie port (the 610 has the usual USB port), and an ethernet connection. For those not caring about such things, the B610 would seem to be an ideal, somewhat less expensive alternative to the B630.

Now, if there are some missing menu options, etc., I might change my mind. But I see no reason to think any such issues exist. I should think the main reason for the B610 is not to undercut or alienate mainstream retailers by marketing an identical item (with identical bells and whistles) to heavy discounters. So my bet is that the B610 is, in fact, a B630 with just a few less (and not very important) features.

The B610 has an inferior processor and no DNIe as well as no PIP. Check out this thread for some rather disturbing reviews of the B610.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=b610
post #102 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Liked: 11
That said, not all brick-and-mortar stores are good. Here in the Seattle area we have a place called Video Only. They don't post the model number of the TV on their display units, only the size. And if you buy a TV and don't like it, they give exchanges only. No refunds. Why anyone would shop there I have no idea.
post #103 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

The B610 has an inferior processor and no DNIe as well as no PIP. Check out this thread for some rather disturbing reviews of the B610.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=b610

Yup, someone on that thread speculates (without proof) that the B610 has "an inferior processor" and no DNIe. Otherwise, as already noted ". . . compared to the b630 it has no infolink, no wide color enhancer 3, no pip, no usb movie playback, a loss of one usb port,and no ethernet port . . ."

So if you are concerned about these things, it might make sense to get the B630. I have no big stake in the B610, but it seemed like a good basic alternative.

My own plan is to buy a B630 from Magnolia Audio Video whose customer service is always first rate. (The highly reflective screen of the B650 just won't do.)

I tried an LG 42" LH40 from Best Buy (couldn't resist the $999. sale price) but interestingly enough, although the color is very accurate, it has an odd uniformity issue. There's an area on the right side of the screen with a subtle greenish tint---noticable in B&W movies and on LG's own internal white-balance screen.

So my next stop is the Samsung 46" B630. Any other suggestions welcome.
post #104 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM

Sorry, messed up with my reply. Will try again:

Davenport, I live in the Portland area, and we also have Video Only stores. So far they are the only local stores I’ve found that have the B630 in stock. Thanks for the no refund info, it’s good to know.

Actually Video Only stores do provide the model numbers, but they are written on the reverse side of the cards placed below each displayed TV. What I don’t like about these stores are the commission salespeople who won’t leave you alone, even if you tell them you’re just looking.

That said I really like the B630, but like you am hesitant to purchase such a large item online, even though I’ve never had a problem with Big River.
post #105 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

Sorry, messed up with my reply. Will try again:

Davenport, I live in the Portland area, and we also have Video Only stores. So far they are the only local stores I’ve found that have the B630 in stock. Thanks for the no refund info, it’s good to know.

Actually Video Only stores do provide the model numbers, but they are written on the reverse side of the cards placed below each displayed TV. What I don’t like about these stores are the commission salespeople who won’t leave you alone, even if you tell them you’re just looking.

That said I really like the B630, but like you am hesitant to purchase such a large item online, even though I’ve never had a problem with Big River.

Do you have one of the (formerly independent) Magnolia Audio Video stores in Portland? The ones here are getting 46" B630's next week.

Best Buy has the 40" here, and I imagine they'll be getting other sizes. The B630s seem to be trickling into different stores. I even saw one at Fred Meyer, if you can believe it.
post #106 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Well I just got home and unboxed my unit. It looks incredible.

I only looked at it for a total of 2 minutes because I just got home and I'm dead tired. But I did take a minute to look at the stand for you here is a picture so you can see it a little better. There are 3 sets of holes... you should be able to access 2 of the sets right? I will try and put it on the stand in a few days but since I'm not moving in for a while it's probably staying in the box. I can take whatever pictures you guys want maybe I'll put something together tomorrow when I get home from work.

The manual comes on a blue memory stick in the packaging the remote control (no scroll wheel YAY!) comes in. It looks like this...

There is also an instruction sheet of paper in with the paperwork that specifically is stand mounting instructions

post #107 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Davenport, don't think we have any stand alone Magnolias here anymore. Yes, I've seen the B630 40" listed at Best Buy online. Checked out a Fred Meyer a couple of weeks ago but they were still selling the A630. The store is within walking distance from a Video Only. All Fred Meyer stores are not equal, some have smaller selections. We also have a Fry's in the area and their website lists the B630, at a price competitive with Amazon. Don't know if the online prices are the same as in store. I'm also looking for a 46", so keep me posted.
Cheers
post #108 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Micro23, how do one put a picture in the post like you did?
post #109 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 PM

I got these two screws also working Finally !

I guess these people who came for delivery did not know much about installation. Later tonight when I looked carefully and tried to put the left over two screws they just went right in.

One thing I did not like about BHPhoto was that they say it is white glove delivery but these guys who brought the TV came in a minivan with one more TV and some other stuff they had for deliveries. These people were not professionals by any means, they were not at all gentle in handling either TV or the packaging. And on top of that when I asked them to help me in installing the TV on stand they were taking their fumes out saying they dont do this and that etc..

I had to argue with them to put the TV on stand else I had to ask my friends later to put the TV on stand and in that case I would not had been able to check if TV was ok or not to even start with. At any rate after a bit of cribbing they agreed and put the TV on stand but they could never figure all four screw holes. Which I just saw that was simple as anything, and I also could not see in that rush time when they were here.

I will also post few pictures tomorrow...!! The TV is great and I am enjoying
post #110 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM

easy just upload your picture to somewhere on the web, then copy the address and click the little mountain icon to the left of the speech bubble icon in the reply toolbar then paste the address of the image.

post #111 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 PM

We must have had the same delivery guys im serious... thats so funny. Those guys were not happy at all to be working.

BNH for me too on memorial day.
post #112 of 1956 Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Thanks Micro.
post #113 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM

First... I am new to the forum so hello everyone! Thanks for your great tips and wealth of information!

Thanks to you guys I went off and did something I never do... I bought the 55B630 without even seeing it!

However, I did get to see a friends 55A630 several months ago. I really liked it (especially the matte screen and the price) and almost pulled the trigger on it. After doing a little more research I saw where the B630 was being released so I decided to wait.

I have been lurking on here, following your reviews for the past two months and finally yesterday decided to pull the trigger and order from Amazon. It is scheduled for delivery next Wednesday and I am pumped! After reading your comments I feel like I will not be disappointed!

Thanks again!

Cheers!
post #114 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone6.9 View Post

First... I am new to the forum so hello everyone! Thanks for your great tips and wealth of information!

Thanks to you guys I went off and did something I never do... I bought the 55B630 without even seeing it!

However, I did get to see a friends 55A630 several months ago. I really liked it (especially the matte screen and the price) and almost pulled the trigger on it. After doing a little more research I saw where the B630 was being released so I decided to wait.

I have been lurking on here, following your reviews for the past two months and finally yesterday decided to pull the trigger and order from Amazon. It is scheduled for delivery next Wednesday and I am pumped! After reading your comments I feel like I will not be disappointed!

Thanks again!

Cheers!

You'll like it. Pretty good 120hz tv. I own the 40A630. Only thing Im dissapointed are the personal picture settings people post on here. Movie modes are too dark, and not much standard settings being posted on here.
post #115 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

That guy is such a pain he just trolls and bash's anything that isnt vizio. Samsung's are top notch.

The quality of the glass stand on this tv alone outshines my brothers vizio.

I'm not saying Vizio is bad because it's not, but dont come into this thread and bash this tv or Samsung because you like something else.
post #116 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 PM

I was a VIZIO fan as the beginner but not now I think it's like the taste of music you start with soft rock and then eventually you land up in big bang hard rock.. So I guess probably that guy is in that phase
post #117 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone6.9 View Post

Cheers!

Is it 52LNB630 or 55LNB650 ?
post #118 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

Is it 52LNB630 or 55LNB650 ?

I thought the same thing... can you clarify which model you purchased?
post #119 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That guy is such a pain he just trolls and bash's anything that isnt vizio. Samsung's are top notch.

I'm not saying Vizio is bad because it's not, but dont come into this thread and bash this tv or Samsung because you like something else.

i was actually making a point because that's what Slim was doing and if you look right underneath my post, I wrote " You see that is trolling". In other words just like you stated, don't go into model specfic threads just to bash it. That's what Slim keeps doing.

I like the new Samsungs
post #120 of 1956 Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and please show me a post where I have bashed another brand, I would love to see it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page