Official Samsung LNXXB630 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1956 Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Winterpool,
I suppose the most "HD" file I have played on the TV is this .MKV of "The Fall" which it plays flawlessly. Ill try to download larger vids but I try not to download anything past 5 gigs so I can fit more on my 500 gig hard drive.
Any pixar movie looks beautiful around 2 gigs/2500 Kps. on this TV.
The Fall
Format : Matroska
File size : 4.37 GiB
PlayTime : 1h 57mn
Bit rate : 5343 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2008-09-09 23:05:10
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.2.0 ('Turn It On Again') built on Mar 4 2008 12:58:26
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile : High@L3.1
Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
PlayTime : 1h 57mn
Bit rate : 4482 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 4700 Kbps
Width : 1280 pixels
Height : 688 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 1.860
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Writing library : x264 - core 61 r957 7ce0f2c

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Sampling rate : 48 KHz
Language : English
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1956 Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM

beertha,

please PM me where you get them pleaaseeee!
post #183 of 1956 Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM

<<To Winterpool: Indeed, there is a Samsung 46" B640 on the Best Buy website---and on sale. It has a charcoal TOC. I didn't check the specs for differences.>>

Winterpool: Didn't recall that you'd already ordered a set. Seemed like you were still making up your mind. In any case, I saw the 46" B640 at Best Buy, with the charcoal TOC. Oops! It has the glossy screen.

The more I look at the B630 bezel, the more I like that graceful curve. In fact, it may be the best-looking set out there.

I've sent an e-mail to the Samsung rep asking about auto-dimming. I'll post his reply.
post #184 of 1956 Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 AM

thank you tk54911 for your answer on those touch screen buttons. I missed them. Now i could press and use. The symbols were not visible in my tv.

I have another question. I bought a Sharp BP-HP16U BluRay DVD player from costco and connected using the hdmi cable with my B630. Today i tried with a bluray DVD of MI-3. Somehow i am not satisfied with the movie, there were lot of grains in the movie. I set the BluRay DVD for video output to 1080P for HDMI output.

1.The movie is not covering the full screen i need to adjust the wide-fit to fill in the screen

2. When i pressed the Info button from the B630 remote, it was displaying that HDMI @ 60 HZ. Why it is not selecting the 120HZ when i already set the HDMI output in the DVD player to 1080p? Should I make any other adjustments? Do I need to do some more setup ? If so where? In TV or in Blu Ray DVD player?

I will appreciate if any of you can help me in smoothing out my blu ray movie.

Thanks in advance

B630
post #185 of 1956 Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM

B630, I was composing a response to your query when I accidentally closed the tab and the window, so I can't recover my draft in Firefox. So you're spared a lengthy description of 60 Hz, 120 Hz, source content v display, motion processing v refresh rate, etc. You probably know most of that information already.

Anyhow since I've never seen your Blu-ray player or your TV (the B630 I ordered arrives on Monday), perhaps you could provide us photos of what you're seeing. My hypothesis was that the TV is showing the source metadata (that's what my Pioneer KURO displays), in which case the only possibilities would probably be 60 Hz and 24 (fps or '24p'); though you might have the European 50 Hz option as well. That is, your TV is always refreshing at 120 Hz, but the source is only 60 Hz. I'm not really aware of any 120 Hz source content (some graphics cards?).

When you say the movie is not filling your screen, do you mean you get 'letterboxing' lines above and below? Most Hollywood movies are filmed in 1.85 to 2.35 ratios, wider than the 1.78 (16:9) ratio of HDTVs; thus you get black lines above and below watching such content. Also, film is an inherently grainy medium. Depending on the film used, and the cinematographer and director techniques and intent, post-processing, etc, a movie will of course vary considerably in how grainy it seems. With a 120 Hz set, if you increase the motion processing ('Auto Motion Plus' in Samsung), you might smoothen the picture, though many cinephiles abhor the effect.
post #186 of 1956 Old 06-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Beertha, many thanks for your .mkv file's metadata. Very impressive, that's essentially a 720p H.264 video with a considerable bitrate. I'm a little surprised that the Samsung's hardware and firmware can play back such content smoothly. The vast majority of HD video files, erm 'out there' would probably play on the B630s and B650s then.

Davenport, the telly is scheduled for delivery on Monday (or Tuesday, depending on which page I look up, heh), but I now suspect I should have paid the extra $100 (well, more like $200 including tax) for the LN40B640. I returned to Best Buy last night and re-examined the various sets there, and the B630 chin is as wide as I feared it to be. The online photos don't do it justice; I'm not sure if I'd have pulled the trigger if that chin had been physically in front of me . On the other hand, the glossier screen on the B640 and B650 might not have been appropriate for the glare in my ex-girlfriend's flat.

Right next to the B630 was the LN40A630, which not only lacked a chin -- it also seemed to sport a thinner, more elegant bezel. Why couldn't Samsung have left well enough alone?
post #187 of 1956 Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 AM

Got my 52B630 setup yesterday and when I placed it on the stand I noticed the right side wouldn't sit down all the way. I pushed on it and got the top screw started but still the right side of the TV was 3/4" higher than the left.

I finally laid the TV on its back and removed the stand and looked in the bottom and the wire going to the front touch buttons was actually in the way and being squished by the stand. I moved it out of the way and reinstalled the stand and now it's level.

If I had to do it over again I would look in the bottom slot of the TV prior to installing the stand! Of course they make that a little difficult since this TV's stand was designed to be installed by just lifting the TV out of the box and sitting it on the stand. As long as you have a nice flat surface and 2 people you can sit this on its back. I used a big ottoman so the stand hung over the front.
post #188 of 1956 Old 06-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpool View Post

a630, which not only lacked a chin -- it also seemed to sport a thinner, more elegant bezel. Why couldn't samsung have left well enough alone?

amen
post #189 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 AM

Has anyone read any reviews or actually seen/compared a 52A630 to a 52B630? Aside from the obvious feature differences, I'm looking for impressions about picture quality and viewing angle differences between the two. Yes, the B has twice the dynamic contrast ratio as the A, but how noticeable is that in the real world when watching the sets side-by-side?

The main reasons I'm still considering the older "A" are:

-lower price (and I suspect that difference is going to get bigger as the "A" gets older)

-reviews (and lack thereof for the "B"): Amazon has over 100 glowing reviews on the "A," but only two on the "B." Of course the "B" is very new, and with the economy, I suspect they're not selling so well, but to me the "A" seems proven, and while I have no reason to doubt the "B," it just doesn't have that kind of user support (and I'm still thrilled with the pic on my LNT4661, a virtual dinosaur compared to either the "A" or the "B," so I suspect I'll be that much more thrilled with even the "A")

-the infamous "chin;" I have a 19" Sharp with a very similar chin (got it for a good price), and even though it's in a rather out of the way location, every time I see it, I note how I don't like it. I've only had it for a few months, so maybe I'll yet get used to it, but I'm not convinced. Meanwhile, the new 52A or 52B is going to be the centerpiece of my living room, hanging above my fireplace mantle in all its glory. And looking at that chin for a couple of hours or more every night . . . hmmmm. I'd sure like to know that the picture is going to be that much better than the "A" to hopefully make me see past that chin.
post #190 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 02:14 AM

Just noticed that the Amazon price for the LN40B630 has dropped nearly $200. I've composed an email to Amazon asking for a price adjustment to my current order: this seems the most convenient option for both of us, rather than my declining the delivery and re-ordering the set all over again. Anyone have any advice for requesting a price adjustment?

TK54911, as you know, I've seen the LN40A630 next to the B630 at Best Buy, and though I much preferred the 'A' frame, the picture did seem quite a bit dimmer than the B630. As you mentioned, Samsung lists a 50 per cent lower dynamic contrast for the A630; scepticism is the proper attitude towards manufacturer contrast figures (especially 'dynamic contrast'), but I think it's safe to presume there's noticeable contrast increase with the B630. The co-worker who saw the sets with me thought the viewing angle on the 'A' might be worse, but it's difficult to tell since the 'A' was dimmer to begin with. In any case, I presume both TVs contain Samsung PVA panels, so I expect their viewing profiles would be similar.

Another problem is that the A630 is often being sold for more than the B630...

Update: I share your anxiety about the B630 chin, and that was the main reason I revisited Best Buy to take another look at the LN40B630 in person. Pace Davenport, I'm afraid I confirmed that the chin is too prominent for my taste. I should note that the LN40B630 was mounted on the wall slightly higher than my eye level, so I had a nearly direct view of the chin. It's likely that it would be less intrusive when seated atop my ex-girlfriend's video cabinet. On the other hand, a 52-inch would of course be even larger and, mounted above your fireplace, the view of the chin would hardly be discreet.

If it weren't for the fact that the TV is heading for my ex-girlfriend's flat and not my own, the Amazon price drop would probably provide a compelling reason to decline delivery and rethink the purchase. I suspect if I were ordering this TV for myself, the B630's chin would take it out of contention.
post #191 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 AM

For all you guys worried about the "chin" on this TV. If you plan keeping the TV powered off the whole time you have it, then maybe it would be an issue. I think for most households like mine, the TV is on almost all day. When the TV is on you dont even care about anything else except the awesome picture it has and whats playing. I had the same concern about "shape" of it but nothing like what you guys are going thru.
I look at that 52" TV I got and all I see is a badass piece of equipment for around 1800, I don't see what you guys are worried about.
post #192 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 AM

Liked: 11
@Winderpool: A coworker told me that you can call Amazon within 30 days to get the price adjusted. He said he personally tried it over email once, they told him they don't do it anymore, but then when he called in they did it without question. I, too, will be trying this soon, and my LN52B630 that I got days ago just dropped in price as well. Let us know how it goes.

About the chin: beertha is exactly right. I had similar reservations when I was ordering it, and then though "it's a small curve in the bottom of a huge TV, which will be turned on when I watch it." I figured it wouldn't be a problem, and that's a huge understatement. I think it looks slick, and I no longer have any reservations. I love this thing.
post #193 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertha View Post

For all you guys worried about the "chin" on this TV. If you plan keeping the TV powered off the whole time you have it, then maybe it would be an issue. I think for most households like mine, the TV is on almost all day. When the TV is on you dont even care about anything else except the awesome picture it has and whats playing. I had the same concern about "shape" of it but nothing like what you guys are going thru.
I look at that 52" TV I got and all I see is a badass piece of equipment for around 1800, I don't see what you guys are worried about.

I agree with you, I am not sure how many times did any of us ever noticed those old CRT TVs with their ridiculous shape and size when you were watching in good old days or for example how many times did you notice the monitor's vague shape till LCDs came in and those started looking bad.

In my opinion, it is the matter of getting used to, which you will once you start watching the TV. I have the 52" on a TV stand, and to be honest I never noticed if the chin is curvy or straight or gay !!

Go for the techiess and features rather than these small trivial observations which is mere psychological.
post #194 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Indeed, the most important thing about a television is its picture, and the data and all of your input regarding the B630 suggests it will be an excellent LCD. The chin is a matter of taste of course, and I suspect it will be less of a problem to my ex-girlfriend (certainly she'd prefer it to the speaker bar of a Sony Bravia). On the other hand, paying a decent amount of money, especially for a larger TV, I presume one shouldn't get a set one finds physically distasteful, especially if the TV is going to contribute significantly to the local decor, as TK's 52-inch certainly would.

That said, at the new Amazon price (and certain other vendors), the LN40B630 doesn't cost that much more than top-of-the-line 32-inch TVs. It would be difficult to resist the LN40B630 unless it were howlingly ugly.

Thankfully, Amazon is willing to credit the nearly $200 difference. They claim they have no price guarantee policy, but owing to the exceptional circumstances they're willing to grant my request. However, it's past eleven now (ie after the delivery window) and no sign of CEVA. According to the tracking, it went out for delivery at nine this morning.

Update: CEVA arrived at eleven. My ex-girlfriend reports that they seemed inclined to drop off the box and go, but I had forewarned her to ask them to set up the TV. She does observe that the telly is noticeably red, but overall she is quite content.
post #195 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterpool View Post

My ex-girlfriend [...] does observe that the telly is noticeably red, but overall she is quite content.

I actually have found it to be less red than in the pics.

Anyway, glad she's happy with it. Y'all should be back together in no time...
post #196 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

I agree with you, I am not sure how many times did any of us ever noticed those old CRT TVs with their ridiculous shape and size when you were watching in good old days [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2658/*************************[/IMG]
or for example how many times did you notice the monitor's vague shape till LCDs came in and those started looking bad.

In my opinion, it is the matter of getting used to, which you will once you start watching the TV. I have the 52" on a TV stand, and to be honest I never noticed if the chin is curvy or straight or gay !!

Go for the techiess and features rather than these small trivial observations which is mere psychological.

This may be true. But I'm not so sure. Sometimes better is better.
post #197 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post

This may be true. But I'm not so sure. Sometimes better is better.

What do you mean by better is better ?

Are you saying in terms of technicalities or just the looks ? Technicalities have nothing to do with individual opinions, those are just facts which are true and hold the same for everyone, for eg. Contrast ratio or 60hz vs 120hz . As per the shape and size then ya it may differ for your eyes from mine but that does not necessarily make things better, it is more of relativity when you say better.

The same lady can be hot for you, but for me well may be not ...
post #198 of 1956 Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Winterpool says: <<Pace Davenport, I'm afraid I confirmed that the chin is too prominent for my taste. I should note that the LN40B630 was mounted on the wall slightly higher than my eye level, so I had a nearly direct view of the chin.>>

I can see how the curve (I don't think "chin" is quite right) would not be appropriate for a wall mount. It's more of design/architecutal feature that makes sense for a stand-alone.

That said, I think all you guys are making too much of it. (where are those little grinning faces you insert, anyway? Can't find 'em.)
post #199 of 1956 Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterpool View Post

Just noticed that the Amazon price for the LN40B630 has dropped nearly $200. I've composed an email to Amazon asking for a price adjustment to my current order: this seems the most convenient option for both of us, rather than my declining the delivery and re-ordering the set all over again. Anyone have any advice for requesting a price adjustment?

Hi, I purchased the LN46B630 last Friday (before the price drop, $100 difference). I used Amazon's customer support e-mail form and requested a price adjustment. Within 30 minutes, I got the following response

Quote:

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $100.00. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days

Yeah Amazon!
post #200 of 1956 Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM

post #201 of 1956 Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
So I recently got a Samsung LN52B610, replacing an old 4061f that I had. The latter had a DNie option, and that opened up the dynamic contrast etc. menus. The B610 still has those menus, but there is no mention of DNie, nor is it listed. Does that mean it is there? I don't know. Also, I heard there is a pro version now... what models is that on?

Moreover, apparently the 610 is lacking the '18-bit Crystal Engine' that the B650's seem to have (and the ultraclear panel which I am aware of). I am wondering what kind of difference the lack of this engine will make, what it's job generally is, etc. I am considering returning my ln52b610 and getting the 46 inch b650.

Finally, apparently my b610 only has wide color enhancer 2... is 3 going to make a noticeable difference at all?

I assume these must be reasons for differences in picture quality, because I apparently have the same panel version as people with b750's do (SQ01).
post #202 of 1956 Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 AM

Re: the Red chin

I actually really like the red chin. It fits the decor of my room, it's stylish, and red just happens to be my favourite color. I think the old tvs without TOC look boring and dated.

Honestly, I got this tv only for the chin. The picture quality and technical abilities didn't factor much in my decision.
post #203 of 1956 Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM

I ordered the 52B630 Monday. There's way too much light in my living room to have a glossy screen that large, and I couldn't find another matte screen Samsung B at 52".

A few questions, although I have a feeling the answers aren't apparent/available yet:

Is the panel the same as the B650, with the only difference being the matte screen? I've read differing opinions about this, with some saying the difference in CR being due to the Ultra Clear screen.

Is it a 10-bit panel? I keep reading "10-bit video processing", and I assume they wouldn't bother with 10-bit processing on an 8-bit panel, but I don't see the panel spec anywhere, and Samsung doesn't even have the manual for this model on their site yet.

I'm a little mad that after I ordered it, I found the $300 off Amazon coupon code, meaning I could have ordered a 52B750 for $200 more than I paid, but it's the glossy screen that really wouldn't work in my LR. Is this the best matte 52" in Samsung's 2009 lineup?

Thanks for any help.
post #204 of 1956 Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettMichael View Post

Is the panel the same as the B650, with the only difference being the matte screen? I've read differing opinions about this, with some saying the difference in CR being due to the Ultra Clear screen.

Is this the best matte 52" in Samsung's 2009 lineup?

I don't know about the panel types used, but remember that at present there is no 52B650, it's a 55B650.

Yes, this is the largest and best 52" "matte" Samsung currently offers (and I believe it's the best on the market).
post #205 of 1956 Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 View Post

I don't know about the panel types used, but remember that at present there is no 52B650, it's a 55B650.

Yes, this is the largest and best 52" "matte" Samsung currently offers (and I believe it's the best on the market).

Oops, yeah, you're right. So I guess the only other option was the 750, which I could have had for only $200 more with the code. Oh well, I know I wasn't crazy about dealing with reflections on a glossy screen, and I like to keep the room relatively well-lit or my guests start to nod off.
post #206 of 1956 Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Don't know if you guys already know about this, but if you bought your TV May24- Jun 7 you get a free wireless link stick and 3 months more warranty. I just found out today from the B650 forums;

http://pages.samsung.com/us/LinkStickpromotion/
post #207 of 1956 Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Don't know if you guys already know about this, but if you bought your TV May24- Jun 7 you get a free wireless link stick and 3 months more warranty. I just found out today from the B650 forums;

This extra 3 months was there before also. But ya this wireless stick is something which I cant qualify as I bought on 17th May

Could you guys please let me know one thing, after registering your TV on Samsung's website what do you see under the column "WARRANTY" on the My Product page? Is it blank or it says In warranty and is there any date of warranty expiration ?
post #208 of 1956 Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Dang. That would have been nice to have, although I don't see myself using it much. I always seem to miss out on the deals!

Thanks for the info though.
post #209 of 1956 Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 AM

I bought my telly one day after the qualifying period, though that's fine, as I don't think the prices were this low until after that period. But I can still qualify for the three-month warranty extension? The page no longer seems to load.

Ah, one can still register on the usual Samsung page and get the three-month extension.

My ex-girlfriend is leaving tonight for a big wedding (at the Waldorf!), but after the weekend, I'm going to ask her to try viewing .mkv and .avi MPEG4 files through the USB port. Though she probably won't feel positively inclined towards me after returning from a big bourgeois wedding.
post #210 of 1956 Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I love mine, I was not worried about the design either.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page