Official Samsung UNxxB6000, UNxxB7000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 180 Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post

Hi,
I just purchased the 55" 7000 series a few days ago. Just couldn't find any info neither on the manual nor Samsung website about QAM.

I went to Samsung Plasma website, and it clearly indicated of QAM there for the plasma.

Can anyone verify that this set doesn't have QAM? Thanks in advance

These sets do indeed have QAM tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 180 Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM

Liked: 12
I just searched for a firmware update via the link stick and it found 1016. I updated and noticed you cannot revert back to the old firmware anymore, box is greyed out. Anyone have a changelog? I have the UN40B7000.

TV - Samsung PN51F8500
post #123 of 180 Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 AM

How do you get in the Service Menu

Life is Through the Son
post #124 of 180 Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sorry for the double post (posted earlier in the main thread).

I picked up a 32B6000 (again) for PC and PS3 use. So far I'm really enjoying this set. I also have a 46A950 with local dimming, which is a monster, and this one holds up reasonably well. I can say that so far I've yet to see flashlights or dark corners. Perhaps with 32" the pixels are so close together I just don't notice it. Either way no problems here.

For PC, I had a hard time finding the PC mode. As suggested, I renamed the hdmi 1 input to DVI PC. I am connected with a DVI-HDMI cable vig 8800gtx. Is there anything else I can do to improve casual PC use? I don't play pc games..just surf the net and photoshop mostly. When I turn game mode on I notice much less lag. But I still notice slight glitching when I scroll websites. Nothing major, but is there something else I can do to make it rock solid?

Here are my current settings:

Mode: Movie

backlight 4
contrast 89
brightness 45
sharpness 0
color 49
tint G50/R50

Advanced
black tone off
dynamic contrast off
gamma 0

Color Space auto

White Balance untouched

flesh tone 0
edge enhancement off
xvYCC default

Picture Options
color tone warm2
size screen fit
Digital NR low
HDMI grey out
flim mode auto2
blue mode off
auto motion custom blur 10 judder 5

I use these settings for blu-rays, dvds, and games with PS3. For PC use, I use the same settings except for game mode, DNR off, and backlight at 3. Does this sound about right?

Sometimes I find the picture a little dim, so I crank the backlight up to 6-7. I assume this is better than cranking the gamma or engaging dynamic contrast?

As far as the motion goes, I'm a fan of the smooth motion in video. I can crank the anti judder up to 7-8 and be happy. Truthfully, AMP on this model is quite a bit better than my 46A950. Even after tweaking the service menu on the A950, the 6000 series is still superior IMO. I don't see hardly any artifacts.

So I'd like to hear from 32B6000 owners (or anyone). Your input is appreciated!
post #125 of 180 Old 12-10-2009, 11:56 AM

What, no bars or charts to support the data? Don't fear I have it.

So I finally had a chance to calibrate my UN55B7000 Samsung TV. I have read somewhere, I think on CNET.com, that the TV comes already calibrated but when I ran my first reading it was not the case. I used this guide http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...1aaa96dfa0d025 and eye one calibrator to calibrate the TV.

I am by no mean an expert and did not spent much time researching the information. I just read the guide several times and followed the instructions.

So when I first ran the grayscale measurements these were the readings

The main numbers that we are concerned are the delta E' and the numbers should be below 10 or for the absolute perfect calibration below 3. As you can see the numbers are way off.

Here is the graph for Luminance:

The yellow and white line should be as close as possible. Yellow line represents the average for Red Blue and Green colors. The blue line shows the average luminance.

Here is the RGB graph.

This graph represents the RGB colors. All colors should be as close as possible to 100%. You can see that there is too much blue and not a lot of red. Therefore the Color temperature will be way above 6500K.

Here is the Gamma graph

The gamma should average 2.2 and my TV Gamma was 1.36 (blue line). The white line show where it should be.

Here is the Color Temperature graph

The temperature should be close to 6500K, as you can see my way off on the cooler side.

Here is the CIE Diagram

The color inside the triangle it the NTSC color space. The main idea here is to get as close as possible to D65 point. This diagram will also show how the color space moves after adjusting the secondary colors.

I spent about 5 hours calibrating the TV, mostly because the HCFR Colormeter application was crashing in Windows 7. After it crashed the only way I could start it was to restart the laptop. The crash was happening during continues readings.

So now let's get to the good stuff. After I completed the calibration these were the numbers I got.

Measurements after calibration

As you can see all delta E' numbers except IRE0 are below 10 and some are close to or below 3. On the left side you can see ftL number which for LCD TVs should be between 30 and 40. I adjusted the contrast to bring the ftL to 32.487.

Luminance graph after calibration

I am still not on the reference line, but it looks much better.

RGB graph after calibration

Colors are much closer to 100%

Gamma graph after calibration

Gamma is 2.24 average.

Color Temperature graph after calibration

Color is much closer to 6500K.

CIE Diagram after calibration

As you can see that except IRE0 all the grays scale is very close to D65 point and after the adjusting secondary colors the color space triangle moved. It is represented by the white triangle.

So here are the settings. Please note that I believe that even though the panels come form the same manufacturer the settings may not work for all of them.

TV Settings
-----------

Mode - Standard
Blacklight - 4
Contrast - 77
Brightness - 41
Sharpness - 50
Tint - G45/R56
Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - +3

White Balance:
Red Offset - 28
Green Offset - 25
Blue Offset - 28
Red Gain - 50
Green Gain - 21
Blue Gain - 0
Flash Tone - 0
Edge Enhnmnt - Off

For the secondary colors
Color Space - Custom

Red - R90, G3, B0
Green - R20, G36, B10
Blue - R7, G0, B50
Yellow - R16, G34, B11
Cyan - R28, G41, B50
Magenta - R78, G4, B50

Going back to delta E', I notice that if I change the blacklight to 3 the values in delta E' for all gray IRE values except 0 will move below 3. However the ftL number will dip below 30. I wanted to keep the ftL number between 30 and 40 so left the blacklight at 4.
post #126 of 180 Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Still loving my 32B6000. Have it hooked up to pc via hdmi and it's really nice. But again, I'd like to know if I'm doing everything right in getting lag free performance. What's your settings while using for PC, gaming, and in general?
post #127 of 180 Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

post #128 of 180 Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any other threads for this display?

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
post #129 of 180 Old 12-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjack View Post

I had the B7000 for a short period of time but just like my last Pana V10 I have returned it because of trailing (phosphor trailing on Pana V10).

Has anyone been able to eliminate the trailing on B7000/B6000 with calibration?

This review has a short video of the trailing on B7000. I experienced the same: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1241084220
I tried their settings by the way. Very nice (besides the fact that I still found it to have too much trailing).

I have the 6000 series right now and the trailing is just awful. This video test pretty much says it all; now just imagine that same trailing off an actor's face during different lighting conditions or a fast moving scene shot with a handheld camera. I have pretty sensitive eyes and see things like trailing and uneven backlighting pretty easily. I can live with the backlighting and flashlighting as it really isn't as bad as the forums make it out to be. The motion on the other hand is something thats hard to overlook; worse yet Samsung wont acknowledge that these sets do this.

I hate to return this thing but am going to in the next couple of days for probably the xbr9 or a sony w series. The LED's are really close to being great but come up short in the end. I'm really disappointed and hacked off about this set.
post #130 of 180 Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Just bought a 40b6000 and have been playing around with the settings sort of using the suggestions on here as guidelines, now i noticed that the off angle viewing is not as good as non-edge lit lcd, what settings would you guys recommend to help keep the picture a little better from the side, i noticed a little more color definitely helped.

I still love this tv and dont think i would return it but would like to improve on the angles a bit, also i notice some minor bright spots when the screen is completely dark in the corners but its not bad and dont think it really needs to be fixed but il have to watch it more and see if it is worse then ive seen.
post #131 of 180 Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppafreak View Post

So here are the settings. Please note that I believe that even though the panels come form the same manufacturer the settings may not work for all of them.

TV Settings
-----------

Mode - Standard
Blacklight - 4
Contrast - 77
Brightness - 41
Sharpness - 50
Tint - G45/R56
Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - +3

White Balance:
Red Offset - 28
Green Offset - 25
Blue Offset - 28
Red Gain - 50
Green Gain - 21
Blue Gain - 0
Flash Tone - 0
Edge Enhnmnt - Off

For the secondary colors
Color Space - Custom

Red - R90, G3, B0
Green - R20, G36, B10
Blue - R7, G0, B50
Yellow - R16, G34, B11
Cyan - R28, G41, B50
Magenta - R78, G4, B50

Going back to delta E', I notice that if I change the blacklight to 3 the values in delta E' for all gray IRE values except 0 will move below 3. However the ftL number will dip below 30. I wanted to keep the ftL number between 30 and 40 so left the blacklight at 4.

These worked great for me. Thank you!

Now I need to connect the pc to it.. See how it does.
post #132 of 180 Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 110
With regards to the "CMS" in these models, how are you guys affecting luminance of each color? X and Y axies coordinates and luminance must be controlled. I don't see how luminance of each color can be affected with what is provided in this utility.
post #133 of 180 Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Suppafreak for the great info. I attempted to use my spyder2 and failed horribly with it. A few questions...

Color: Should it be kept at the default, 50?
Tint: I'm assuming you meant G45/R55, right?
HDMI Black Level: Normal (not low)?

I think that's about all the questions I had. Again, I appreciate you posting your results. I spent about 2 days with the spyder2 and figured out that it's a piece of junk.
post #134 of 180 Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan04103 View Post

My only issue to get perfect is my white balance I think. I actually used 3d glasses with red and green filters to calibrate those colors and worked great.

Yes, yes, yes.

Finally I see a post where someone mentions using the old blue and red 3D glasses to calibrate their TV. I've gone through the THX calibration process quite a few times and at the point they want you to use a red or blue filter (THX calibration glasses) I used the 3D glasses that were being given out to watch that commercial during the Super Bowl last year.

I remember thinking, "Hmmmmm, that's odd," and going online to see if 3D glasses were a common substitute for colored filters, but couldn't find any info. I know they had to be working because there were areas during the process where you could only read something if you were looking through the filter.

So, ... yeah. Sorry to go off-topic. Maybe someone will see this and maybe it'll help them. I love my 6000 Series so much I simply cannot quit fiddling with it settings wise.

post #135 of 180 Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post

Thanks Suppafreak for the great info. I attempted to use my spyder2 and failed horribly with it. A few questions...

Color: Should it be kept at the default, 50?
Tint: I'm assuming you meant G45/R55, right?
HDMI Black Level: Normal (not low)?

I think that's about all the questions I had. Again, I appreciate you posting your results. I spent about 2 days with the spyder2 and figured out that it's a piece of junk.

Good settings - also seeking verification of these missing settings. Suppafreak?

Also all the settings seem to be set differently between Sources. Do I need to input these settings individually for each different Source, ie HDMI, HDMI2, TV, etc.? Coz I noticed when I set these settings on TV then switched to HDMI1, all the settings were different.
post #136 of 180 Old 01-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna_elite View Post

Also all the settings seem to be set differently between Sources. Do I need to input these settings individually for each different Source, ie HDMI, HDMI2, TV, etc.? Coz I noticed when I set these settings on TV then switched to HDMI1, all the settings were different.

Correct, in my experience, every input has their own specific setting. Yeah, it's a pain to set it for every input, but sometimes one input is different than another.
post #137 of 180 Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Hi do these TV's support DD5.1 and DTS over hdmi? I am hoping they downconvert the signal to the 2 inbuilt speakers.
post #138 of 180 Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTso View Post

Yes, yes, yes.

Finally I see a post where someone mentions using the old blue and red 3D glasses to calibrate their TV. I've gone through the THX calibration process quite a few times and at the point they want you to use a red or blue filter (THX calibration glasses) I used the 3D glasses that were being given out to watch that commercial during the Super Bowl last year.

I remember thinking, "Hmmmmm, that's odd," and going online to see if 3D glasses were a common substitute for colored filters, but couldn't find any info. I know they had to be working because there were areas during the process where you could only read something if you were looking through the filter.

So, ... yeah. Sorry to go off-topic. Maybe someone will see this and maybe it'll help them. I love my 6000 Series so much I simply cannot quit fiddling with it settings wise.

To properly set the tint and color the filters must be the exact right shade of red or blue. Even the filters specifically made for TV calibration will fade over time and need to be replaced periodically. However, this TV has a "Blue Only" mode which precludes the need for using a filter when you set color and tint with a calibration disk. Read this on how to utilize blue only mode: (Extracted from the manual here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

4 - Flashing Color Bars
This pattern is used to set color and tint controls with a blue filter. If your display is one of the few that includes a blue only mode, that can be used in place of a blue filter. Different ways to get color filters include ordering the THX Glasses, obtaining Lee Filters (#71, #106, #139), getting another calibration disc that has filters such as DVE and Avia, or ordering the Avia filters. While using a colorimeter or spectroradiometer might give a better level
of accuracy than a filter, what we will describe here is using a blue filter to set color and tint.
The gray bar at the left has a flashing blue box and the blue bar has a flashing gray box. Look through a blue filter at these two bars. As you raise and lower the color control you will see the gray and blue change relative to each other. You want to set the color control so gray and blue match. Ideally when this happens you would see almost no flashing on the boxes through the blue color filter. Realistically you might always be able to see a little bit of flashing, and if that's the case
Basic Settings Instructions - 6
then just set the color control so that gray and blue come as close as possible to matching.
The magenta and cyan bars also have flashing boxes with the other color. Looking through the blue filter, you use these two bars to adjust the tint (hue) control. The idea is similar to setting the color control. Ideally you would not want to see any flashing when looking through the blue filter, but just use the tint control to get them to look as close as possible.

9/11 killed about 3,000 people.
The earthquate in Japan killed almost 20,000 people.
The earthquate in Haiti killed over 100,000 people.
Remind me again what your home entertainment problem was?
post #139 of 180 Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Hi!

I've posted in a separate thread, but some one suggested I might give it a go here...

I was playing around with the UN40B6000 service menu to disable CE dimming in Standard and Movie modes.

Anyway, I also probed in Sharpness_LNA, inadvertently changed some settings, so I am trying to restore the original settings ...... this is what I have now:

S1_Pre_GainH1 7
S1_Pre_GainH2 11
S1_Pre_GainH3 7

S1_Post_GainH1 7
S1_Post_GainH2 11
S1_Post_GainH3 7

Would anyone please confirm with me the original settings for S1 pre- and post-gains on their UN40B6000. Thanks for your help. mark
post #140 of 180 Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Won one of these in a contest. I'm mainly going to use it for bluray and my xbox. I currently have a LN46a650. Anything I should I know?
post #141 of 180 Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

I have a new UN55B6000 set.

I've tried a few recommended settings listed here, and I'm seeing something that looks a bit off on the color.

when viewing close-ups of people where there is some highlighting on their skin, the normal flesh tones have a yellowish "haze" that moves around on their skin as the light changes. It almost reminds me of the mask worn by Rorshack [sp?] in "Watchmen".

Kind of similar also in very dark scenes - I can see some blue pixels "sparkling" on the surface of the dark areas.

Does this sound like something in backlighting/brightness/color settings is way off, or is this an artifact of the LED/LCD technology? I've only had the set for a week now so I'm still learning about all it's possible setups.

Any pointers to thread notes with proven settings would be appreciated.
fyi - my firmware is very recent - Oct 2009 v1013

post #142 of 180 Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
I'm in the club also, bought a UN55B7100 at best buy yesterday. Used the Cnet numbers and it looks so great I don't think I'll break out my colorfacts system to work on it.
Great contrast and blacks with detail in the blacks, hard to believe it's a LCD.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #143 of 180 Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Just bought the UN55B6000 and I love it I was going to get the LG because I guess the backlight is in the back of the TV rather then the sides but this TV just looked better by far. Plus the contrast ratio was higher.

If anyone has any good picture settings for the UN55B6000 i would appreciate it. Also tell me if you went into the service menu and turned off the CE Dimming thing and what way looked better on or off and how you did it..
post #144 of 180 Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM

just picked up a B6000 yesterday on sale at Sears. then found it on newegg this morning for same price plus free bluray player.

used the Cnet settings for now and will play a bit more tonight when i get home.

i need more HDMI cables...
post #145 of 180 Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
c35

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob View Post

Well guys I bought the un46b6000. I love it is is awesome. I do have some flashlighting and some clouds but its not too bad. I hope it clears up.

Does anybody have some good calibration setting for it. I got the basic from cnet but wondering if there is any better ones. I have my room dark most of the time and watch HD tv and Blu ray movies and play PS3 games COD.

Right now It feels and looks like the is a hazy or something. Hard to explain. Need some good settings. LOL

Thanks,
Bob

After a month searching and trying, I like these settings for most:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...0090522149.htm

Yes, it's a B7020 model, but I applied itu to my 32B6000 and it works very well.

I just change the contrast of Game Mode to 77 and Movie Mode to 66.
post #146 of 180 Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Hi moparbob, here's my settings for UN40B6000, yours may vary depending on lighting, personal prefs etc. mark

Backlight: 2
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 45
Tint: 50/50

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Colour space:
Red 32 10 0
Green 0 44 0
Blue 0 0 32
Yellow 41 47 0
Cyan 0 35 31
Magenta 29 0 22

White Balance:
R-offs 24
G-offs 24
B-offs 21
R-gain 25
G-gain 22
B-gain 25

Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

Colour tone: Warm2
Size: screen fit or 16:9
Digital NR: Off
Blue Only Mode: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal\\Greyed out
120hz Motion Plus: Custom
Blur Reduction: 10
Judder Reduction: 5

Energy Saving: Off

CE dimming off in service menu
post #147 of 180 Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Here are the settings from Tweak my TV. Dont ask me my they have motion plus turned off also they I turned HDMI black level to low.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...n-55b6000.html

These are for the UNB55B6000 but they have all they models..

Picture Modes
◦Picture Mode : Movie
◦Backlight : 6
Picture Settings
◦Contrast : 90
◦Brightness : 45
◦Sharpness : 0
◦Color : 48
◦Tint : G49/B51

Advanced Settings
◦Black Tone : Off
◦Dynamic Contrast : Off
◦Gamma : -2
◦Color Space : Auto
◦Flesh Tone : 0
◦Edge Enhancement : Off

Picture Options
◦Color Tone : Warm 2
◦Size : Scrn Fit
◦NR : Off
◦HDMI Black Level : Normal
◦Blue Only Mode : OffO
◦Auto Motion Plus 120Hz : Off
post #148 of 180 Old 02-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I spent a few hours with my UN40B7000 yesterday and here's what I was able to get to. The measurements are significantly improved versus the default settings. I need to spend some more time watching to make a subjective judgment. Configuration is for a room with an average level of ambient light. I could have made some further improvements if I had more time to spend. Will probably work on that later this week.

Ignore everything below 30% - my i1Pro isn't accurate down there and I didn't have a chance to work the lower levels with my other meters.

Backlight: 6
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 50/50

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: -2

Colour space:
Red 39 0 0
Green 50 50 16
Blue 0 20 38
Yellow 54 49 0
Cyan 0 53 50
Magenta 42 0 50

White Balance:
R-offs 28
G-offs 26
B-offs 27
R-gain 26
G-gain 20
B-gain 26

Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

Colour tone: Warm2
Size: screen fit or 16:9
Digital NR: Off
Blue Only Mode: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal
120hz Motion Plus: Standard
Energy Saving: Off

- Dave
post #149 of 180 Old 03-11-2010, 05:21 PM

Hello,

I've had this TV for about 4 months and I really like it.

Only problem is I keep trying new settings that I see here and can't just stick with one.
post #150 of 180 Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 AM

I have my own settings.. I just can't see how one person's settings would be ideal for anyone else.. I believe everyone has their own unique visual preferences..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page