Do I really NEED 120Hz? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get a good HDTV, preferably a Samsung LN52A650/630, but I was thinking today..and instead of waiting for these to drop in price, why not just get the 550's for around $1200 which is what they're going for these days?

What I do on my current CRT TV is what I'm gonna do on my LCD, and that is play Video Games (mostly) with my 360 & Wii, and watch normal TV (I don't watch sports at all)..I'm probably gonna get HD Dish Network when I get a HDTV.

I also won't be watching Blu-Ray, as I don't have a Ps3/Blu Ray player, but I will watch TV on a normal DVD player with composite inputs.

So my question, as it stands...do I really NEED 120Hz TV? Or is it just a waste of cash in my case :\\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

If you do a little digging in this LCD forum you will find there is a lot more differences between a 550 and a 630/650 than 60Hz versus 120Hz. Do you need 120 Hz for your planned use of your HDTV? No! Should you get the 550 or 630/650 for your planned use of the HDTV? This is an entirely different question. For example how important is PQ now and in the next year?

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
prolly one of the best PQ wise 60hz TV's are the Sony V4100 they are discontinued so you may find one at the price your looking for and it will outperform a sammy 550 but not a 650

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM

ya, depending on your tastes, you don't need 120hz, and you may not even like the look of the motion enhancement technologies, but the 120hz models are usually higher end and will offer more improvements than just the refresh.

Are your eyes capable of telling the difference though? Only you can answer that.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsaw View Post

So my question, as it stands...do I really NEED 120Hz TV? Or is it just a waste of cash in my case :\\

I think that you cannot live without it.

The end.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvilla View Post

I think that you cannot live without it.

The end.

I know i love my 120hz tvs and It makes a huge improvement on games n movies(24p mainly) but hey im just a video junkie..
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM

NEED? In fact you don't really NEED an LCD TV. What's wrong with your old CRT?

WANT? Now that's a different question.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM

I disagree that 120hz is a huge benefit for movies. Even with 5:5 pulldown.

I'd rather watch movies on something like a Panasonic z800 plasma for instance (which I mention because it's getting easy to find them cheap), no 5:5 pulldown, but it's a WAY, better tv for movies than 99% of the 120hz lcds out there.

The bottom line is, unless you watch a lot of sports, NO, you don't need 120hz. Even for video games, some people don't like the interpolation so yeah.

If you really care about motion quality, you will get much better bang for the buck with a plasma. Most 120hz tv's other than for gaming, IMO are for people who pretend to care about motion quality, and/or who like the weird look of interplation.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
my tv has 120 refresh rate. I would highly recommend it for games and movies. its a higher end tv. I got mine at sam's club for 1,194. its not a samsung. lcd is alot better then rear projection regardless if you get a tv with 120 or not.

Jacob
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATBALLS View Post

I disagree that 120hz is a huge benefit for movies. Even with 5:5 pulldown.

I'd rather watch movies on something like a Panasonic z800 plasma for instance (which I mention because it's getting easy to find them cheap), no 5:5 pulldown, but it's a WAY, better tv for movies than 99% of the 120hz lcds out there.

The bottom line is, unless you watch a lot of sports, NO, you don't need 120hz. Even for video games, some people don't like the interpolation so yeah.

If you really care about motion quality, you will get much better bang for the buck with a plasma. Most 120hz tv's other than for gaming, IMO are for people who pretend to care about motion quality, and/or who like the weird look of interplation.

well, not exactly as i see it. I DO in fact love the look of interpolation. Also i love the much sharper image i see on a high quality lcd (sammy 650 up, sony w series up). I don't like soft images and dithering in plasmas, and if you go with the panasonic plasmas, have fun with the 48 hertz flicker, which i have seen.

truth be told, its best to take a look at both a 120 hertz and 60 hertz lcd side by side and see if YOU the buyer see a worthy difference. no tv is perfect, we just get to choose which flaws we get to live with.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Even using 3:2 pulldown on the Panasonic (which yes, you must do because the 48hz mode DOES have flicker), the overall movie experience on the Panny is still going to be MUCH superior to 99% of the 120hz lcds out there running in 5:5 mode. Even with some mild judder from 3:2 pulldown (which most people won't notice), the panny will still produce far superior overall motion quality, deeper blacks, superior saturation over most 120hz lcds and excellent colour accuracy to boot (One main advantage over the z85). Most 120hz lcds still can only produce 600 vertical lines of motion resolution. Even the average plasma can produce 900 equivalent lines of motion resolution.

There is no question that the Panny z800 is one of the absolute best HDTVS out there for movie watching, and IMO better than 99% of 120hz lcds for sports as well, despite the necessity to use 3:2 pulldown mode for movies on the Panny. Read some reviews if you must. Check out the CNET review perhaps. That shows how important this 5:5 pulldown is right there if one of the best movie tvs around which receives excellent reviews all over the place, still must do 3:2 pulldown.

Quote:

Truth be told, its best to take a look at both a 120 hertz and 60 hertz lcd side by side and see if YOU the buyer see a worthy difference.

I totally agree with this, only the "difference" might not necessarily be percieved as "better". The main difference I percieve for instance on most 120hz lcds (with exception to the top of the line ones), over 60hz models, is the effect of the frame interpolation, which IMO, on most 120hz lcds, does more harm than good for overall viewing in most instances other than sports and sometimes video games. Not just because of the creepyness of them being overaly smooth, but the artifacting and enhanced background detail which was not meant to be seen by movie producers, sometimes revealing props, taking away a sense of spaciousness, and completely altering the way the movie was intended to be seen. I will not argue however that a 120hz lcd using motion interplatoin looks superior for sports than a 60hz lcd. Because IMO it does, but still not as good and natural and a good plasma.

Since this is an LCD section and not plasma, I will clearify my point:

Although most 120hz lcds offer other improvements other than refresh and motion interpolation, weither you need it or not, or even like it or percieve it as better is up to the individual, and since the original purpose of 120hz originally was to improve motoin quality by reducing blur, it was worth noting that one can get FAR superior overall motion quality from a plasma over 120hz lcds for the price, while still mainting the vision movie producers intended. Do you NEED 120hz? Well if you care enough about motion to think so, it doesn't make sense to go lcd over plasma anyway in most cases especially considering a price to performance ratio.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsaw View Post

What I do on my current CRT TV is what I'm gonna do on my LCD, and that is play Video Games (mostly) with my 360 & Wii, and watch normal TV (I don't watch sports at all)..I'm probably gonna get HD Dish Network when I get a HDTV.

I also won't be watching Blu-Ray, as I don't have a Ps3/Blu Ray player, but I will watch TV on a normal DVD player with composite inputs.

Which ever tv you do get, be sure to hook that dvd player up with some component cables so you'll at least be utilizing 480p progressive scan for your regular dvd's..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page