Sony KDL-32l5000 vs. LG 32lh20 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have?
Sony Bravia kdl-32l5000 0 0%
LG 32lh20 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked at both of these sets at Best Buy the other day and couldn't tell a difference. However, it's hard to tell under store settings. Which one do you prefer? Both are the same price. The LG looks better on paper (other than not having a 3D comb filter), but I've never had any experience with LG TV's. Is their picture processing good (very little noise, jittering, or ghosting)? What about quality and long-term reliability?

Sony Bravia kdl-32l5000: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665746294
- 720p, 60Hz
- 13,000:1 dynamic contrast (3,000 native)
- 24p True Cinema Technology w/ 3:2 pulldown
- 3D comb filter
- 8-bit panel
- 8 ms response time
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE)
- more inputs than LG

LG 32lh20: http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video...-tv-32LH20.jsp
- 720p; 60 Hz
- 30,000:1 dynamic contrast (not sure about native, but believe it is 3,000 also)
- 24p Real Cinema w/ 2:2 pulldown
- No 3D comb filter
- 10-bit panel
- 6 ms response time (GTG)
- ISFccc ready
- XD engine

So everyone, which would you rather have. I'll be using it to watch sports, movies, a little SD content, and play video games. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Does the 3D comb filter improve picture quality/clarity that much?
post #3 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 04:25 AM

I was looking at similar options in 37", purchased the Panasonic TC-L37X1, and I'm not completely happy with it. Without "A.I. Picture" mode enabled the backlight bleed is noticeable and the contrast really suffers. I am returning it tomorrow for the 37LH20.

Comb filters are an older technology (I remember my dads Ancient Rear Projection RCA had one). If the LG doesn't have a comb filter it probably has something similar worked into it's "XD Engine" video processing.

If viewing angles are an issue for you. I can almost guarantee the LG will have a better viewing angle. That was the biggest issue I had with my Sony 32S3000.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Keep in mind that Sony "L" is pretty much the lowest tier one can possibly buy within the Sony LCD line - it gives them a presence at Walmart and Target along with the "S". Don't like to use the term bottom of the barrel but this is the lowest tier your going to find within the Sony group.

The LG's improved quite a bit this past year. The 3D comb filter has been around for decades and nothing new and should not be a consideration today as many advances have been made beyond it.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the comb filter. Yes, I know the L series is the "bottom of the barrel" Sony, but I'm on a tight budget, so it's my only option. Also, I'm glad you mentioned the Panasonic TC-L37X1, because I was looking at the 32" version but couldn't find any info on it. Backlight bleed rules it out.

Sounds like you guys would suggest the LG? The poll shows 3-0 in favor of the Sony. I'd like to see more opinions, as such a small sample doesn't give accurate results.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Yes, I would suggest the LG over the Sony you are considering. However, if you could swing it, the LH30 would be a much better option at very little extra cost.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Yes, I would suggest the LG over the Sony you are considering. However, if you could swing it, the LH30 would be a much better option at very little extra cost.

From what I can tell, the primary difference between the LH20 and the LH30 is that the LH30 is 1080p instead of 720P like the LH20. Am I correct that this doesn't make a big difference at this screen size? The LH30 is $200 more, which is quite a bit for my budget.

Also, for those of you who are voting for Sony, what is the reason you would pick the Sony over the LG? I'd like to hear from both sides so I can be better informed. Thanks.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan22 View Post

From what I can tell, the primary difference between the LH20 and the LH30 is that the LH30 is 1080p instead of 720P like the LH20. Am I correct that this doesn't make a big difference at this screen size? The LH30 is $200 more, which is quite a bit for my budget.

Also, for those of you who are voting for Sony, what is the reason you would pick the Sony over the LG? I'd like to hear from both sides so I can be better informed. Thanks.

Sorry, I guess I didn't realize there was that much of a price differential.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

No problem. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to keep my eye on that one in case it goes on a really good sale. Just glad to get someone's opinion. It's hard to get one on such new models.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan22 View Post

Thanks for the info on the comb filter. Yes, I know the L series is the "bottom of the barrel" Sony, but I'm on a tight budget, so it's my only option. Also, I'm glad you mentioned the Panasonic TC-L37X1, because I was looking at the 32" version but couldn't find any info on it. Backlight bleed rules it out.

Sounds like you guys would suggest the LG? The poll shows 3-0 in favor of the Sony. I'd like to see more opinions, as such a small sample doesn't give accurate results.

I wouldn't totally rule the Panasonic out. It has a very good picture if you don't mind the TV dynamically managing your color settings and contrast. Without A.I. picture enabled, however, it probably has the worst backlight bleed I've seen on a 37" LCD, even with the backlight turned down to 20 or less (out of 100). But, at least it's uniform :P Spend some time looking at it in the store, and playing with the settings. I would demo it somewhere other than Best Buy though. Another interesting note about the Panasonic is that it will not accept a 1080p signal. 1080i is as high as it goes. That might be a dealbreaker for some.

I will be getting the 37LH20 tomorrow, and will compare it to the Panasonic. I am definitely getting the protection plan though. I have heard mixed reports on LG in the reliability department.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 View Post

I wouldn't totally rule the Panasonic out. It has a very good picture if you don't mind the TV dynamically managing your color settings and contrast. Without A.I. picture enabled, however, it probably has the worst backlight bleed I've seen on a 37" LCD, even with the backlight turned down to 20 or less (out of 100). But, at least it's uniform :P Spend some time looking at it in the store, and playing with the settings. I would demo it somewhere other than Best Buy though. Another interesting note about the Panasonic is that it will not accept a 1080p signal. 1080i is as high as it goes. That might be a dealbreaker for some.

I will be getting the 37LH20 tomorrow, and will compare it to the Panasonic. I am definitely getting the protection plan though. I have heard mixed reports on LG in the reliability department.

Let me know how that goes. I'll be very interested to hear the results.

Also, from what I've heard, LG's reliability is much better this year than in the past, as they are using higher-grade parts.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 AM

I think i read somewhere that they use Samsung panels in their new models, but I may have read wrong
post #13 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think i read somewhere that they use Samsung panels in their new models, but I may have read wrong

Sony and Samsung use the same S-PVA panels. LG uses their own S-IPS panels.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Any news on the 37LH20?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 PM

leaving to swap them as we speak :P I had that pesky thing they call work on Sunday. Hopefully they have it in stock.

It figures that both compusa and hhgregg have the 37" for $599 in their ad, and I'm going to have to pay $699 at Best Buy since none of the fliers have part numbers.

Does best buy match web site sale prices?

Edit: N/M. HHGREGG has the 37LG30 (last years model, I think), which got mixed reviews. compusa lists an L49-3712 stock number in their ad, and can't find the TV on their site. I guess it's worth $100 more for a current model.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Just got back from Best Buy. Sorry to disappoint and possibly kill the interest in this thread, but I didn't come home with the LG. Firstly they were out of stock, and couldn't give me an ETA. Secondly, While walking through the bigger tv's and about to go home disappointed I passed by the 42" Plasma's, and what did I see? The Samsung PN42B450 for $699!!! This isn't advertised on the web site (it's $799), and I didn't notice it in the weekly ad. Since my return was already completed, and I would have gone home with store credit, I just couldn't pass it up. It will have to sit in the box for a few days until I get a wall mount from monoprice, and I will have to rearrange my room slightly but It's worth the effort. My parents have two of the 50" version of this TV in their house and they are breathtaking.

Hopefully someone else that has the LG can chime in with a mini review. If anyone considering the LG can make room for a 42", the Samsung is the exact same price.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM

I have been a big Sony fan all my life. My first Sony lasted about 15 years and my second at least 12. Never had a problem with it until yesterday when it turned off on its own and will not turn back on. So I think its toast and its time to get a flat screen. I just came back from Best Buy and they had the Sony mentioned at the top of this thread next to the LG and the LG blew the Sony out of the water. The picture on the Sony seemed dull at best next to the LG. It could have been the way the store had them set up I am not sure. I think Sony makes dependable tv's but, I have to admit I really liked the LG. I also looked at a 37 inch Sony at Sams club RDL 37L4000. It seemed ok but, it was next to 2 other Sonys and they were all showing some store ads that were very white and bright hard to compare that one to anything. Anyway having never owned a flat screen I would like to hear your opinion. Thanks Dave
post #18 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I did a fair amount of research and in-store comparisons before buying the LG 32LH20. At 32", I'd rather have a quality 720p. The features, tweakability and image quality of the LG were better balanced than the other sets in the price range, and on sale at BB it was even more attractive.

Over and above the specs, LG offers some nice touches you don't really appreciate until you bring it home. The design is very clean, with controls hidden on the side and invisible down-firing speakers with a 20-watt amp. If you're looking for a second set that you're not going to connect to an audio system, that means better-than-average sound. It has a practical swivel stand; a reasonably good remote with a logical on-screen menu system and all the adjustments you could want; wide viewing angle and a screen that strikes the right balance between anti-glare and crisp display.

About the only drawback I can think of is the input limitations, one component and two HDMI. But for a second TV or as the core of a small-room HT, it's hard to beat at the price.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page