Official Samsung LNxxB460 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My laptop has HDMI. I know you're supposed to the test on a CRT but I just don't have one anymore. What is the site to get the timer? I can do the test tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

My laptop has HDMI. I know you're supposed to the test on a CRT but I just don't have one anymore. What is the site to get the timer? I can do the test tonight.

http://tft.vanity.dk/
Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 PM

anyone else mind sharing their picture settings for this set?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Does anyone know if there is any risk to leaving the backlight at 10? For example, will the backlight ever die/run out of juice if it is set to 10 constantly?

When playing my 360, I notice that a lot of my games look really nice on the "dynamic" default setting but then again it is probably because of the extreme use of the backlight. Are the default settings (Standard, Movie, Dynamic) good settings to use or in your opinion do they need to be tweaked?

I'm really new to HDTVs, if anyone has any recommendations for tv settings when using a 360, I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

lag test

Sorry for the flash in the second one but you can see the ms better.

Game Mode On:

What's interesting is that when I turned game mode on, out of the four pictures I took the lag ranged from 50-70ms.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I received mine today and I am sad to say I get a lot of pixelation and artifact in both cable TV and SD DVD. On the TV it is much more pronounced. Is there any settings I can adjust to remedy this situation? Samsung CS was clueless as expected.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Sorry for the flash in the second one but you can see the ms better.

Sorry to bring this topic to a whole new direction, but a few days ago, we were asking if the stand was level on this TV because some of us had problems with our A450 stand. From that second picture you posted, it looks like your TV is tilted to the left. So, I think the stand on this TV might have a similar issue to the A450 stand. Can someone else check their B460 TV to see if it's tilting to the left?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Sorry to bring this topic to a whole new direction, but a few days ago, we were asking if the stand was level on this TV because some of us had problems with our A450 stand. From that second picture you posted, it looks like your TV is tilted to the left. So, I think the stand on this TV might have a similar issue to the A450 stand. Can someone else check their B460 TV to see if it's tilting to the left?

May have missed it but my stand is perfectly level.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Mine does not.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, then it's probably just the angle of the camera, which explains why the TV looks tilted in the pictures. From these responses I got, it seems like the B460 stand is ok. Thanks guys! Sorry again for throwing the topic in a different direction, but I just wanted to know how these new stands are. You can continue talking about the input lag now.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I received mine today and I am sad to say I get a lot of pixelation and artifact in both cable TV and SD DVD. On the TV it is much more pronounced. Is there any settings I can adjust to remedy this situation? Samsung CS was clueless as expected.

Have you already made sure to turn down the sharpness and off the edge enhancement?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM

I have the 26" and my tv sits flat. I also have a different stand, its more of an oval shape than a square and does not swivel.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM

I just bought the 32" 460 model and set it up using the CNET settings. I am not sure if I want realism or not based on what I am used to with a TV, but I'm going to give it some time with that element.

I do have a question. When I plugged in the TV using HDMI to my cable box, the box switched to 720p. Should I let it send the 720p signal from the cable box or should I have it send 1080i and have the set deal with the conversion?

I read on the CNET review that it might be better to use 720p on the previous model of this TV, but I am not sure about this model. In addition, the TV is going to have to scale something since it has a 1366x768 resolution. Logic would dictate that I should send a signal that it has to scale down instead of up, but perhaps that isn't the case.

Any advice?

I am finding that I like having a bit of sharpness, as the text on things like the Comcast channel selecting page looks better. Speaking of Comcast, what remote code do you use with this? The ones on the Comcast site fail to work but I found a post that told me to add a 1 in front, and that did the trick. Currently I am using 10702 but maybe it is not the best choice, I don't know for sure.

Do you have a chicken hat?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalliance13 View Post

Have you already made sure to turn down the sharpness and off the edge enhancement?

Yes, I turned sharpness down to 30 and EE to OFF.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM

I had a rude awakening today with this screen when I turned it on when not directly, and I mean directly, in front of it. Wash out is extreme, and is noticeable even if I am 1 foot to the left or right and several feat back. If I want anyone to be able to watch this TV at the same time I do, one of us is going to be out of luck.

I guess that means this is a TN panel. It has all the characteristics. Did I get a bad screen? I haven't seen anyone else complaining of this at all.

Can this problem be corrected via settings? If not it is going to have to be returned, in which case I could use some advice on what to replace it with in the same price/quality range.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmaster View Post

I had a rude awakening today with this screen when I turned it on when not directly, and I mean directly, in front of it. Wash out is extreme, and is noticeable even if I am 1 foot to the left or right and several feat back. If I want anyone to be able to watch this TV at the same time I do, one of us is going to be out of luck.

I guess that means this is a TN panel. It has all the characteristics. Did I get a bad screen? I haven't seen anyone else complaining of this at all.

Can this problem be corrected via settings? If not it is going to have to be returned, in which case I could use some advice on what to replace it with in the same price/quality range.

none of this on mine on any setting. for the price i doubt you'll find a newer model of such high quality, imo.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Ok, so basically the viewing angle is just something I have to live with if I don't want to pay more than this? I could understand that. Any other comments on that front?

I read something today at televisioninfo.com that I thought would be worth mentioning here. A comment at the end of a review of the "A-450" model says the following:

Quote:

this t.v is really nice for the price, it may be worth taking a second look at this t.v because there have been models released with screens not manufactured by samsung themselves which have been toted as inferior in every way, however the ones installed and manufactured by samsung are a step up in quality.
apparently the poorer screened versions are manufactured by AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics, these are not on the same level as the samsung screen which excells in quality.
its not easy to identify the samsung screens apart from visual quality ofcourse and markings on the back panel, Look for the S, A, or C at the beginning of the version# on the back of the panel, Only the S panels are made by Samsung. The A and C panels made by AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics respectively are not worth the money allegedly.

I'm not entirely sure if this commenter is speaking of the serial number or what exactly. If it is the serial, mine starts with an A. If others have letters that start only with As, Cs, or Ss, we might be onto something.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

My SN also starts with A.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so basically the viewing angle is just something I have to live with if I don't want to pay more than this? I could understand that. Any other comments on that front?

I'm not entirely sure if this commenter is speaking of the serial number or what exactly. If it is the serial, mine starts with an A. If others have letters that start only with A, C, or S, we might be onto something.

It's the panel number, not serial number. It should be found in the very back of the TV in the bottom center. It should have the letter S, A or C. The letter it should be is S. Other people have claimed that the A or C panels aren't as good, but I can't say for sure how true that is.

As for your viewing angle problem, I have the A450 and the viewing angle is ok. Obviously, the closer you are, the more washed out the picture will look when you move to the side. If you're about 5 feet away, the angle problem shouldn't be too bad. From what I see on my model, the further away you sit, the more the angle problem decreases.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 PM

Is it the letter that is next to each of the larger screw holes? I have S's at each one of the 4. If it's not that I could use a picture or a more specific instruction if you don't mind. I'm guessing it is not on the white sticker that has most of the info, but built into the plastic of the frame?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it the letter that is next to each of the larger screw holes? I have S's at each one of the 4. If it's not that I could use a picture or a more specific instruction if you don't mind. I'm guessing it is not on the white sticker that has most of the info, but built into the plastic of the frame?

It's been 5 months since I checked the back of my TV, so I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the white sticker in the middle. But you should see it because the letter is by itself.

As for the S's, I saw that too and I'm not sure if that also indicates the type of panel because my panel is an S, so it may very well be, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I did some research and it's the white sticker. Here's a picture. This is a C panel.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Made in Slovakia and an LE model, dude you are in the wrong forum.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:14 PM

He's in the right forum but the image there is not of the same model. I tried to take a picture of mine but the flash doesn't interact well with the all black background with the white shiny label, so I need to wait until daylight will take care of that for me.

Before that happens, I have a question... Should I buy a USB cable to connect this to my computer on a regular basis, or is this something that is a rare necessity or is handled via a DVI-HDMI connection?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenal73 View Post

Made in Slovakia and an LE model, dude you are in the wrong forum.

Um, that's not my TV. That's just a sample picture I found when I was researching trying to help Squidmaster. That is why I said: "I did some research..." I would take a picture of my own TV, but it's up on my TV stand pushed up against the wall. It would require me to pull out my TV and turn it around.

Anyway, Squidmaster, the label should be a bit similar to the picture I posted and hopefully that image gives you an idea of where to find the letter.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

He's in the right forum but the image there is not of the same model. I tried to take a picture of mine but the flash doesn't interact well with the all black background with the white shiny label, so I need to wait until daylight will take care of that for me.

Before that happens, I have a question... Should I buy a USB cable to connect this to my computer on a regular basis, or is this something that is a rare necessity or is handled via a DVI-HDMI connection?

I don't see any S, A or C on mine either. Not sure this applies to all models?

As for your question, if you want to display your computer desktop on the tv then DVI to HDMI cable would be a good choice. Can be found online pretty cheap. You could also use the vga port if you wanted. This may, however, limit some of the settings you can adjust.

If you want to update the televisions firmware is the the only reason I know of to use the usb. this can be done with a usb thumb drive.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalliance13 View Post

I don't see any S, A or C on mine either. Not sure this applies to all models?

Interesting. I guess Samsung saw people complaining about getting an A or C panel that they decided to hide it now.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Well, that may or may not yet be the case. I tried to snap a couple pictures today but the lighting wasn't great. If I can figure out an easy way to stabilize my camera I will still post mine. I have a big letter C on mine but it is in a place that makes it look like it has nothing to do with what we're discussing. Still, posting it will shed some light I hope.

Thanks for the USB info. Has anyone tried updating the software straight from a desktop? I plan to use a thumb drive borrowed from a friend, as the Samsung website's instructions were incomplete and suggested that the unzip would be unwieldy on a more complex device. Still, I'm curious.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

Ok, got it.

The only 'C' is right next to the UL listing, so that seems an unlikely candidate, but I am of course not certain.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:

try changing the black tone in advanced settings and see if you can improve the situation.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 AM

@ Squidmaster

I recently ordered off of amazon and my back label looks exactly like that with the C and all.