Official Samsung LNxxB460 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 442 Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgyak View Post

Thinking about a LN22B460. Does anyone have one? How is the viewing angle?

Of course not. This thread is filled with useless chatter...

/sarcasm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 442 Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Can anyone tell me if the settings for this set are locked when in Game Mode like many other samsung sets?
post #183 of 442 Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 PM

I have a new issue to discuss a bit. I am noticing that when I watch HD cable movies, the image gets pixelated occasionally when there is a lot going on at one time, particularly when a camera pans or switches to another through lots of movement on screen. It resolves quickly each time.

Is this my TV or more likely the cable signal and some issue with degradation?

Do you have a chicken hat?
post #184 of 442 Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM

I think that has something to do with the cable feed, cause I've noticed the same thing with a different set also hooked up to hd cable. Most likely has to do with either the source material or the way the company is compressing their feeds

Do not disassemble, No.5 ALIVE!!!
post #185 of 442 Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have my replacement 460 coming tomorrow.
post #186 of 442 Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Good luck Stryker!

Thanks for the input on the feed. I will call my cable folks. I have a couple things to address besides that anyway.

post #187 of 442 Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Hey Guys,

I just received my 32" 460, from Amazon on Tuesday. Over the past two days, I've been watching the TV, viewing a myriad of different sources, to try and gauge its quality. Colors are nice and vivid, the blacks deep for an LCD, HD content is very clear... while nothing is moving...

Almost all of the time, while watching film or cable, when anyone moves their head or arm, or if they move across the screen, i see a blur or staccato trail as they move. It seems to be the same with SD and HD content.

When hooked up to my PS3, the sharpness and detail are stunning, yet I see the same problems here. When playing a few different games, I always notice a soft blurring or trailing of fast moving things on screen. the amount of trailing that I see seems to be (totally guessing really) around 50 milliseconds if not a little higher.

Note: I saw little to no performance benefit from using the "Game Mode". It bumps up the brightness, but the motion blur is still the same.

Question: If this unit is supposed to be rated at 6ms, why do i always see trailing?

Question: I wonder if they sent me a returned set. Can any owners tell me, when you first opened the box on your set, did it have the stickers on the top left side of the bezel? (the one that says "460") I purchased mine "NEW" but it didn't have the sticker... weird.

Thanks

INVALID
post #188 of 442 Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I have my replacement 460 coming tomorrow.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

Good luck I'm soo tempted to get one myself, still holding out & researching more.
post #189 of 442 Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Why does SD cable channel (comcast) look so bad on this TV? All SD channel look like a home made Youtube movies. Like a heavily compressed MPEG file. I kid you not. I tried a cheap Polaroid LCD and SD look very good on this set. HDTV and DVD's on the other hand look very good. I have digital NR set to off. I called Samsung but they weren't much help. Anybody have any suggestion?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #190 of 442 Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 PM

SD for me varies widely by the quality of the signal. I can watch Iron Chef and feel like the quality is better than on a CRT, then swap to HBO-West or something and see a train wreck. It's the signal, at least for me.

post #191 of 442 Old 06-19-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda View Post

Good luck [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG] I'm soo tempted to get one myself, still holding out & researching more.

You're right. I also feel tempted to have one after reading this thread.
post #192 of 442 Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM

@Stryker412

How does replacement compare to the one you sent back? Let us know if it fixed some of those ghosting/ trailing problems.

Check out my previous post. Does it sound like I'm having the same issues that you were seeing? I must admit that I do notice the trailing more in dark scenes, or if there is a dark figure moving across an all white background.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to send it back for a swap.
post #193 of 442 Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVALID View Post

@Stryker412

How does replacement compare to the one you sent back? Let us know if it fixed some of those ghosting/ trailing problems.

Check out my previous post. Does it sound like I'm having the same issues that you were seeing? I must admit that I do notice the trailing more in dark scenes, or if there is a dark figure moving across an all white background.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to send it back for a swap.

Yes that's pretty much what I was seeing. Do you have Ironman? If so pop it in and go to the scene where he first uses the final suit. The scene where the two jets are following him and he's talking to Roadie on the phone. All the people that walk behind Roadie in that scene I saw trailing/ghosting on them as they moved.

Also, on the side of your TV there is a sticker. Do you have a line that says AA?

I have not been able to hook my replacement up yet.
post #194 of 442 Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Yes that's pretty much what I was seeing. Do you have Ironman? If so pop it in and go to the scene where he first uses the final suit. The scene where the two jets are following him and he's talking to Roadie on the phone. All the people that walk behind Roadie in that scene I saw trailing/ghosting on them as they moved.

Also, on the side of your TV there is a sticker. Do you have a line that says AA?

I have not been able to hook my replacement up yet.

The side sticker on mine says CN01, and the back says June 2009.

I don't have Ironman yet, but while watching The Dark Knight, among other sources, I definitely see what your talking about. When something of similar contrast moves across the screen, it leaves like a vapor trail behind. I'm sure this is ghosting. So is the 6ms response spec bullsh...?

It's a shame too, because I absolutely love the picture quality otherwise. Colors pop, it's razor sharp on HD still images, but I always notice the ghosting when there is a dark scene. Quick variations in graytones and mid contrast content always blurs together. Are Stryker412 and I the only ones seeing this?

INVALID
post #195 of 442 Old 06-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prahan21 View Post

Can anyone tell me if the settings for this set are locked when in Game Mode like many other samsung sets?

No settings aren't locked in this mode. In fact, it will remember both Game Mode and Non Game mode settings for each input.
post #196 of 442 Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM

I showed some friends my 32" 460 last night. At first they said that they couldn't see the "ghosting" that I was talking about until a scene came on that was mostly dim graytones with people moving and talking on screen. Each time anyone moved their head or body, it left a ghost trail; it's impossible not to notice in these scenes. I then watched the same scene on another TV and did not notice one bit of ghosting.

I'm waiting until Monday, calling Samsung again, and if there is no fix, I'm asking for a replacement from Amazon.

@Stryker412, did you have to pay return shipping to Amazon?
post #197 of 442 Old 06-20-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@Stryker412, did you have to pay return shipping to Amazon?

No, they just had Pilot come out and replace mine.
post #198 of 442 Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a LN32B460 and am using the over the air tuner and a PS3 for games and blu ray. how should I calibrate it?
post #199 of 442 Old 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM

@Stryker412

I too, am returning my 32b460 to Amazon. As much as I tried to ignore it, the ghosting was a constant annoyance. Color accuracy and black levels are excellent, so I'm opting for a replacement of the same model. Fingers crossed, that I don't get two bad panels in a row!

I used the Lagom LCD testing website (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php) via my PS3's web browser to find out that, while the bright color pixel response was very fast (under 10 ms), the dark and mid-tone gray pixel response was deplorable (well over 30 ms).

So my replacement comes tomorrow, I'll post my results then. (Amazon was great about replacing it for me, btw)
post #200 of 442 Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post

I have a LN32B460 and am using the over the air tuner and a PS3 for games and blu ray. how should I calibrate it?

I suggest dropping your backlight to 3 or 4, and adjusting brightness to 38-40. As far as color and gamma, This Tv is generally excellent in accuracy, but if you have a PS3 use the Lagom site, that I recommended.

(note: if using the PS3 web browser, let the site load completely before beginning the pixel response test... if you don't it might freeze your browser)
post #201 of 442 Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM

I would love to know how to force native resolution so I could use Lagom myself. Have any reviews with real-deal settings been done yet?

post #202 of 442 Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm kind of worried now that a lot of people are having "ghosting" issues with this tv. I was planning in getting it in a few weeks, but now I don't know if I should. I'm between this model and the ln32b540, but I don't know if the 540 will have the "ghosting" issue too.
post #203 of 442 Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Why does SD cable channel (comcast) look so bad on this TV? All SD channel look like a home made Youtube movies. Like a heavily compressed MPEG file. I kid you not. I tried a cheap Polaroid LCD and SD look very good on this set. HDTV and DVD's on the other hand look very good. I have digital NR set to off. I called Samsung but they weren't much help. Anybody have any suggestion?

Not sure what your issue may be but I have Comcast as well and I was actually impressed with the SD performance (compared to other LCD's).

So much so that I have decided to hold off on getting an HD STB (I'm just using the internal QAM tuner) for the bedroom.

Don't get me wrong, it's not nearly as good as HD but it is pretty good compared to the SD performance of other HDTV's I have owned or researched.
post #204 of 442 Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 AM

... Got my replacement 32b460 yesterday...

... I'm Not Happy...

This one has the same ghosting as the last one i received, and to top it off, the black levels on this one aren't even as good as the last one! (fyi, yes I've checked all of my sources using a different TV, and no, I didn't see any ghosting on the other set.)

I called Samsung, and they said I shouldn't be seeing *ANY* ghosting at all. They said I could send it to them to get checked and I'd get it back in 3 weeks... ... ... . Awesome, I pay for a brand new TV and I get to wait 3 weeks before I can enjoy it as it should have been out of the box.

So, do I send it back to Amazon (again!), or send it to Samsung and wait? I also wonder if Amazon is sitting on a bunch of defective units, or if Samsung does any kind of quality control before they ship out their TVs...

I really like the TV other than the ghosting... Any advice?

note: last one was a CN01 panel, this one is a AA02.
post #205 of 442 Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... Got my replacement 32b460 yesterday...

... I'm Not Happy...

This one has the same ghosting as the last one i received, and to top it off, the black levels on this one aren't even as good as the last one! (fyi, yes I've checked all of my sources using a different TV, and no, I didn't see any ghosting on the other set.)

I called Samsung, and they said I shouldn't be seeing *ANY* ghosting at all. They said I could send it to them to get checked and I'd get it back in 3 weeks... ... ... . Awesome, I pay for a brand new TV and I get to wait 3 weeks before I can enjoy it as it should have been out of the box.

So, do I send it back to Amazon (again!), or send it to Samsung and wait? I also wonder if Amazon is sitting on a bunch of defective units, or if Samsung does any kind of quality control before they ship out their TVs...

I really like the TV other than the ghosting... Any advice?

note: last one was a CN01 panel, this one is a AA02.

Mine has been sitting in the box for a week now. We were in the process of running a new cable up to our bedroom last week and ran out of time. Hopefully it'll be done tomorrow and I can test mine too. If I see ghosting again it's going back and I'll go with the Sony 32L5000.

It's just not worth it to keep sending the TV back or out for repair when it's brand new. I'm guessing it's the line itself.
post #206 of 442 Old 06-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
has anyone applied the firmware upgrade from samsung.com? The version on my tv is 1015, so I didn't update as the "update" is 1013.
post #207 of 442 Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 PM

I updated. No difference really.

post #208 of 442 Old 06-28-2009, 07:12 PM

what original firmware was on your set? 1015?
post #209 of 442 Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM

here are my settings, used a PS3 (hdmi), dve hdbasics (bluray), spyder 2, and color hcfr software.
mode: movie
backlight: 2
contrast: 95
brightness: 44
sharpness: 0
color: 40
tint: 50\\50
black tone: off
dynamic contrast: off
gamma: 0
color space: native
white balance:
r offset: 33
g offset: 25
b offset: 12
r gain: 27
g gain: 25
b gain: 15
flesh tone: 0
edge enhancement: off
color tone: warm2
Digital NR: low
HDMI Black Level: low
With these settings the picture is almost identical to my calibrated Sony S4100. Overall I really like this tv, once tweaked the picture looks great!
post #210 of 442 Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 PM

I really don't know what firmware version I had before I updated. 1 before the version I got...

gp-se, are those settings for standard def? I gave them a shot but it moves everything heavily toward black. It's particularly obvious that I'm losing detail in things like The Dark Knight in HD, where you get plenty of opportunities to see the full black range. I'm still having trouble getting settings I'm totally happy with, that is for sure, but I know that the TV has the range to eventually get me there.

I see what you used to get them. I will have to just try it for a bit and see how it compares I guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays