Official Samsung LNxxB460 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 442 Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered the Samsung LN32B460 based on the strength of the very popular LN32A450. As I have not been able to find much in the way of reviews or resources for the new LN32B460, I decided to start a thread to encompass the three new models Samsung added to their 4 Series lineup for 2009:

--------------------------------
Samsung 4 Series Additions 2009
--------------------------------

LN22B460 (MSRP $399.99)
Resolution: 720p
Dynamic Contrast Resolution: 15,000:1
Response: 8ms
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...XZA&fullspec=F

LN26B460 (MSRP $529.99)
Dynamic Contrast Resolution: 30,000:1
Response: 8ms

LN32B460 (MSRP $649.99)
Dynamic Contrast Resolution: 50,000:1
Response: 6ms

All three models offer 3 HDMI inputs, 1 component input, and 1 composite input, and each have red ToC and clear accents on the bezel.

[EDIT 4/28: The LN22B460 has 1 HDMI input and 1 component, while the LN26B460 and LN32B460 have 3 HDMI inputs, and 2 component. The specifics can be seen on pps. 1-2 of the Quick User Guide: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0Eng-0303.pdf]

I expect to receive the set on 4/27 and I will take some pictures and update the thread with those, as well as provide some initial impressions. I'm planning on referencing at the calibration suggestions for the A450 as a starting point: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1042607

I'm looking forward to seeing other members' thoughts and opinions on these models as well.

Happy watching!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 442 Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Howdy,

Just picked one up. I am going through and still adjusting the unit. But, I have found some adjustments so far that seem close.

Picture Mode
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 4
Contrast: 73
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 30
Color: 46
Tint: G46/R54

Advanced settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gama: +2
Color Space: Native
White Balance : have not touched yet.
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm1
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: Off

This is my second round, had a plasma before, so trying to get it to be similar to the plasma in color and detail. So far, as stated, I am very close. Sometimes Reds seem to be a bit off.

Please realize these adjustments are for this set, and other sets are very likely to be different. I use Avia for adjustments, and while it is at best a basic tool, it is a good starting point.
post #3 of 442 Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Good to hear.

Have you noticed any ghosting? Do you happen to have any pictures of the set?
post #4 of 442 Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 PM

I'm a long time lurker who just finally decided to join AVS.
Thanks for starting this thread teevee_viewer!

So, does the LN26b460 have a swivel base?
The manual on Samsung's website says no (only 32inch has it), but the product spec sheet at the same website says yes for the 26inch.
Needless to say this is very confusing!

Also, how uniform does the backlighting appear in a dark room?

Thanks!
post #5 of 442 Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

So my new television arrived this morning... So far so good. The Touch of Color is much less pronounced than in the pictures, fortunately. In the images I snapped the ToC appears to be very visible, but that is because I was using the flash. The raised buttons are touch sensitive.

I have not the picture beyond reducing the standard profile brightness down from 8 to 4 and I'm sure I'll adjust when the room is a bit darker which is more typical of how I'll use it.

I'm looking forward to spending a bit more time with it this evening, but my initial impressions are very, very good.

(All images open larger in new tab/window)

post #6 of 442 Old 04-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Very nice.

Have you noticed any ghosting? What will you be using the set for?
post #7 of 442 Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

Very nice.

Have you noticed any ghosting? What will you be using the set for?

I have not noticed any ghosting -- the picture is great! I'm using it to watch cable and DVDs for now, BR will be a future purchase.
post #8 of 442 Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Dumb question, but is there any danger in purchasing a 720p-only set? Presumably all cable boxes, Blu-Ray players and game consoles will offer a 720p option for the forseeable future, but how do these sets handle over-the-air 1080i content? Do they automatically scale and deinterlace it?

Click here for my home theater setup
post #9 of 442 Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee_viewer View Post

I have not noticed any ghosting -- the picture is great! I'm using it to watch cable and DVDs for now, BR will be a future purchase.

Good to hear.
I hope more owners can chime in regarding any possible ghosting issues before I consider pulling the trigger. One of the things that is putting me off (in addition to my concern regarding the ghosting) is that it only has 1 component input. I have 2 component sources, which would mean I would have upgrade to an HDMI equipped model for one of them

Are you able to compare this set to another LCD?

Open question to anyone that has this set connected to a BR player, does this unit accept and process a 1080/24p signal?
The reason I ask is because I currently have the Sony KDL-32L5000 in the bedroom and it has a feature they call "True Cinema". Its a process that attempts to get as close as possible to 24fps.
post #10 of 442 Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good to hear.
I hope more owners can chime in regarding any possible ghosting issues before I consider pulling the trigger. One of the things that is putting me off (in addition to my concern regarding the ghosting) is that it only has 1 component input. I have 2 component sources, which would mean I would have upgrade to an HDMI equipped model for one of them

Are you able to compare this set to another LCD?

Open question to anyone that has this set connected to a BR player, does this unit accept and process a 1080/24p signal?
The reason I ask is because I currently have the Sony KDL-32L5000 in the bedroom and it has a feature they call "True Cinema". Its a process that attempts to get as close as possible to 24fps.

Unlike what the specs on the Samsung site say, the manual shows that both the LN26B460 and the LN32B460 actually have two component inputs.

See p.2 of the following guide: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00Eng-0303.pdf

I'll go back to edit my original post with the new findings.
post #11 of 442 Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legoheads View Post

The manual on Samsung's website says no (only 32inch has it), but the product spec sheet at the same website says yes for the 26inch.

Thanks!

Legoheads,

While I can't comment on the swivel base question with absolute certainty, I can tell you that the User Guide indicates that only the 32" model swivels. See p. 40: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00L02-0303.pdf I would trust the UG over the spec sheet.

The backlighting does indeed appear uniform in a dark room IMO. Hope this helps!
post #12 of 442 Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Unlike what the specs on the Samsung site say, the manual shows that both the LN26B460 and the LN32B460 actually have two component inputs.

See p.2 of the following guide: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00Eng-0303.pdf

I'll go back to edit my original post with the new findings.

Thanks for clearing that up
Are you able to compare this set to another?

Also, how is the stance? Most, if not all, 32A450s had a crooked stance because of the mount, so it tilted to the right.
post #13 of 442 Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 AM

so as a general overview from you guys, this set looks pretty hot right? hmmm i gotta stop spending money!! :P
[IMG]http://www.**********/135l883.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.**********/135l1040.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.**********/135l1101.jpg[/IMG]
post #14 of 442 Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 PM

Sorry for the delay,

My First set died on me, the TV came on but would not change channels or sources. So, took it back and picked up another.

Ghosting to me is prevalent in the SD images, HD looks great though. With images that have a lot of greys or very close in color, I get a bluring effect that is almost like what would see if you took a 24 bit image down to say 8 bit.. This much worse than I expected, although it could be still a matter of adjusting that out.

Reds are still pushing hot on this set as well, after doing some looking around on the various forums I see that this is a common problem, that generally can be evened out. Still working on that of course

All in All not a bad set, not perfect... Main problem is with the Ghosting or Heavy Dithering with certain SD images

Edward G. Pope
post #15 of 442 Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Has anyone done the firmware update for the 32B460? I noticed it on the Samsung website but it doesn't mention the changes.
post #16 of 442 Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Legoheads

Thanks!

Legoheads, Ive asked Samsung support this question about a swivel base on their LN26B460 model, because I'm thinking of purchasing this particular TV. Here is Samsung's reply to me.... "The stands on the tv swivel from right to left". Well, I just read a customer review on Amazon before pressing the purchase button and the customer said in his review..."The only thing that disapoints me about this tv is there was no swivel stand." Needless to say, I have just sent another e-mail to Samsung to clarify this confusion. After receiving their reply, I will post it to see if this helps you out.
post #17 of 442 Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM

With the LN32B460 the stand swivels left to right. Can't say for sure on the 26" model though.
post #18 of 442 Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Its a shame about the ghosting. I was hoping they had fixed this issue by now, but with confirmations on other sites as well, this set has been scratched off my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpope View Post

Sorry for the delay,

My First set died on me, the TV came on but would not change channels or sources. So, took it back and picked up another.

Ghosting to me is prevalent in the SD images, HD looks great though. With images that have a lot of greys or very close in color, I get a bluring effect that is almost like what would see if you took a 24 bit image down to say 8 bit.. This much worse than I expected, although it could be still a matter of adjusting that out.

Reds are still pushing hot on this set as well, after doing some looking around on the various forums I see that this is a common problem, that generally can be evened out. Still working on that of course

All in All not a bad set, not perfect... Main problem is with the Ghosting or Heavy Dithering with certain SD images

post #19 of 442 Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
How bad is the ghosting on SD? I'm trying to determine if this TV needs to be scratched off my list too.
post #20 of 442 Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Just bought this last Friday and it should be delivered tomorrow.

I already own a LN46A650.
post #21 of 442 Old 05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I purchased mine today and it should be here next week.
post #22 of 442 Old 05-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Samsungs manuals and specs on their 2009 line-up are all messed up on their web-site. Check out the tv you want to purchase at a retail outlet before purchasing on-line. I really want that LN26B460 that Samsung says has a swivel stand. Guess what? It don't! I went to Best Buy and looked at their display. When I got home, Samsung on-line Support had their 3rd response to me, in my e-mail box. It stated that the latest manual shows that the LN26B460 does indeed have a swivel stand. My advise, check out the Samsung 2009 line-up at a retail store before purchasing your product on-line!
post #23 of 442 Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you didn't read this thread then. From post 11 on this page:

Quote:

Legoheads,

While I can't comment on the swivel base question with absolute certainty, I can tell you that the User Guide indicates that only the 32" model swivels. See p. 40: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00L02-0303.pdf I would trust the UG over the spec sheet.

post #24 of 442 Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patspeak View Post

Samsungs manuals and specs on their 2009 line-up are all messed up on their web-site. Check out the tv you want to purchase at a retail outlet before purchasing on-line. I really want that LN26B460 that Samsung says has a swivel stand. Guess what? It don't! I went to Best Buy and looked at their display. When I got home, Samsung on-line Support had their 3rd response to me, in my e-mail box. It stated that the latest manual shows that the LN26B460 does indeed have a swivel stand. My advise, check out the Samsung 2009 line-up at a retail store before purchasing your product on-line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I guess you didn't read this thread then. From post 11 on this page:

It is generally good advice, however. If I remember correctly, there were numerous mistakes for the 2008 line on Samsung's site last year. Some eventually were corrected and some were not.
post #25 of 442 Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

How bad is the ghosting on SD? I'm trying to determine if this TV needs to be scratched off my list too.

I received mine on Friday and hooked it up.

I watched SportsCenter and some NBA games this weekend and did not noticed any "ghosting or heavy dithering".

Also, we watched Dark Knight from my WDTV on it and it look very good. I am pretty happy with the sound as well. Don't get me wrong... it's not anything close to my primary A/V setup but is is definitely adequate for the bedroom (imo).
post #26 of 442 Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFRStormer View Post

Howdy,

Just picked one up. I am going through and still adjusting the unit. But, I have found some adjustments so far that seem close.

Picture Mode
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 4
Contrast: 73
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 30
Color: 46
Tint: G46/R54

Advanced settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gama: +2
Color Space: Native
White Balance : have not touched yet.
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm1
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: Off

This is my second round, had a plasma before, so trying to get it to be similar to the plasma in color and detail. So far, as stated, I am very close. Sometimes Reds seem to be a bit off.

Please realize these adjustments are for this set, and other sets are very likely to be different. I use Avia for adjustments, and while it is at best a basic tool, it is a good starting point.

I tried these settings and they are slightly improved but I agree that Red seems to be slightly off at times.
post #27 of 442 Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how much better this model is compared to the A450 (which I own). This B model seems to be better in every way and cheaper too. I kind of regret not waiting for the B models before I made my LCD purchase, but then again, we all have to bite the bullet some time.
post #28 of 442 Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post

I tried these settings and they are slightly improved but I agree that Red seems to be slightly off at times.

I like these settings but I think Digital NR should remain on Auto.
post #29 of 442 Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Dumb question, but is there any danger in purchasing a 720p-only set? Presumably all cable boxes, Blu-Ray players and game consoles will offer a 720p option for the forseeable future, but how do these sets handle over-the-air 1080i content? Do they automatically scale and deinterlace it?

I have the A450 (last year's model) and it automatically downscales 1080i and 1080p content. So, I'll assume that the B460 will do the same.

Quote:

Also, how is the stance? Most, if not all, 32A450s had a crooked stance because of the mount, so it tilted to the right.

Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. Anyone measure their B460 stand??

I'm hoping more people will contribute to this thread. I'm really interested in finding out how much better the B460 model is compared to the A450.
post #30 of 442 Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

I'm looking at this TV for my living room, which is rather small so a 32" would be perfect. I do a fair bit of Xbox 360 gaming however, so I am concerned with input lag.

Can anyone chime in on this subject? I know on some of the 550/650 models, you can disable picture processing on HDMI2 by labeling it PC, which reduces input lag dramatically. VGA is equally fast too, due to lack of processing. I could use either of these inputs for the 360. Any comments?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page