Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

For those that ordered through Amazon, do they call you to schedule a delivery time?

Yes, they do. I just ordered mine on Monday and received a call from CEVA (the shipping carrier) yesterday and they asked me which day would be convenient for them to deliever it to me. They gave me a few choices depending on when the driver was going to be in my area. Mine is coming tomorrow and I cannot wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:

I am pretty sure this has been asked before but I need to know before actually hitting the buy button. How bad is the glare? I have a large bay window to the left of where the TV will go.

I've now had 3 Samsung LCD models, all with the glossy screen (including the B750). I have many windows in my living space including the entire wall that is adjacent to the TV and directly behind the sitting area. I have blinds on all my windows, and on a sunny day closing them (at least the one closest to the TV and the onces directly behind me) makes viewing quite acceptable and I don't even notice the glare unless I'm watching a dark movie or scene. Don't misunderstand me, however. The screen is quite reflective. If you have direct light shining in or if you have lights or windows behind you the TV will reflect it. It all comes down to the richness of PQ you prefer in your TV and your ability to control/accept the lighting conditions you have.
post #363 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm101inm101 View Post

Thank you for the suggestion. I've made sure to turn it off. I'd really like to see a Blu Ray before I make my final decision. I've been through a few TVs over the past few years. I need just relax and enjoy the set.

I'd still like to know if I'll see less blurring with Blu Ray. No one's addressed that yet.

I'm not sure what "less blurring" means or what you are comparing it to, but my BluRay viewing experience on the B750 is incredible (PS3). Now with AMP turned off, certain scenes with motion to not appear very smooth, but with AMP set to either "clear" or to a custom setting, the picture becomes very smooth.

BTW, for me, one of the best scenes to see the effects of AMP and motion is in the opening of "I Am Legend". There is a scene in the early part of the movie where a camera is looking down on top of the city and moving forward while the red mustang comes into view. Watch the buildings during this scene and play with AMP to see its effects on motion smoothness/studder.
post #364 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:

For those that ordered through Amazon, do they call you to schedule a delivery time?

CEVA was the carrier who delivered mine. They should call you 24 hours in advance. If CEVA is your carrier as well, you can contact them directly using 1-800-395-9997. Just give them your confirmation number and they'll tell you when your order should arrive. BTW, my order was scheduled to arrive today, but I ended up getting it 2 days early on Tuesday.
post #365 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tantrum View Post

I've now had 3 Samsung LCD models, all with the glossy screen (including the B750). I have many windows in my living space including the entire wall that is adjacent to the TV and directly behind the sitting area. I have blinds on all my windows, and on a sunny day closing them (at least the one closest to the TV and the onces directly behind me) makes viewing quite acceptable and I don't even notice the glare unless I'm watching a dark movie or scene. Don't misunderstand me, however. The screen is quite reflective. If you have direct light shining in or if you have lights or windows behind you the TV will reflect it. It all comes down to the richness of PQ you prefer in your TV and your ability to control/accept the lighting conditions you have.

This is where the TV will go:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

We've since removed the brick wall but the window as you can see is to the left. I've been watching the wall here and there throughout the days and I've never seen the sun hit directly on the wall. I'm just concerned about how much glare I'll get from that window.
post #366 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 AM

Sorry to bring this up again,

But I wanted to re-ask if anyone has any PC connected shots (windows desktop even...)

Thanks!
CK
post #367 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:

I saw B750 in BestBuy and think its reflection is just horrible in comparison with matte screens (well, this goes for all glossy screens, I think), even in a darker room. One can probably get used to it, but all I could pay attention to is how it reflects the crap out of everything. Big big Minus for me (though glossy screen supposedly gives more contrast).
post #368 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:

This is where the TV will go:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

We've since removed the brick wall but the window as you can see is to the left. I've been watching the wall here and there throughout the days and I've never seen the sun hit directly on the wall. I'm just concerned about how much glare I'll get from that window.

Here is what I would say given that my layout is similar. I don't think that glare would be too much of a problem given the shape of your room unless the angle of your seating caused problems (e.g. if you sat directly across from the windows with the TV at a 45 degree angle to each). However, what you might find is a bigger problem is when the sun is shining directly into the windows onto the TV (I'm not sure which way those windows face, but mine face west so mid-late day causes me problems). Direct sunlight causes major washout. I was experiencing such, so I installed 1" faux wood blinds on all of my windows. For the most part, I leave all or most of the blinds open but during the latter part of the day I close the ones that prevent direct sunlight onto the TV.

Also, I just had another thought. What you might do is place a mirror where you are thinking about putting the TV then looking at it from your various seating angles. If you don't see lights in the house or light from windows reflected directly into the mirror from these positions then I would think you wouldn't have anything to worry about. Obviously, ambient light will contribute to reflections, but with the TV on you will rarely be aware of such.
post #369 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiv3 View Post

I saw B750 in BestBuy and think its reflection is just horrible in comparison with matte screens (well, this goes for all glossy screens, I think), even in a darker room. One can probably get used to it, but all I could pay attention to is how it reflects the crap out of everything. Big big Minus for me (though glossy screen supposedly gives more contrast).

Many people share your opinion, as I once did. However, once I adjusted to it, moving from a matte to a glossy screen made all the difference in the world to me. The richness and depth of color just appears so much better from my observations, that I can live with some minor reflection. The main thing is to not have any light sources directly in front of the TV or directly behind the seating area that will reflect into the TV.
post #370 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 AM

I really need some advice. So Samsung is exchanging my old TV(which I consider new LN46A850) due to the IR problem. Now my dilemma is if I should go for LN52B750 or UN46B7000. I hear great things about the B750 and not so good about the edge-LED TV....What is really bugging me is that my LN46A850 had only 1.9 thickness and this new B750 has 3.1. I really want to know if is really a great TV and a setup from what the A850 offered. I am paying a difference to get the bigger size 52" over my 46" so that's a plus on the B750 but if I go for the LED I will pay more and get the same size but I get the 1.2" thickness. All I really want to know if the LED one is really worth it for the type of money or should I go for the bigger and improved B750, please please anyone with good advice let me know....I am planning on buying this next week. Thank you so much.

Note: I found some pics in Flickr for Samsung LN52B750 go to flickr.com and type [url]http://www.flickr.com and search for LN52B750
post #371 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess it depends which group you post this message in. Here you will get many pros for this set and I am sure in the 7000 foum you will hear good things too. You should look at the sets in person and make up your own mind. Seeing is believeing.
post #372 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guayaco36 View Post

I really need some advice. So Samsung is exchanging my old TV(which I consider new LN46A850) due to the IR problem. Now my dilemma is if I should go for LN52B750 or UN46B7000. I hear great things about the B750 and not so good about the edge-LED TV....What is really bugging me is that my LN46A850 had only 1.9 thickness and this new B750 has 3.1. I really want to know if is really a great TV and a setup from what the A850 offered. I am paying a difference to get the bigger size 52" over my 46" so that's a plus on the B750 but if I go for the LED I will pay more and get the same size but I get the 1.2" thickness. All I really want to know if the LED one is really worth it for the type of money or should I go for the bigger and improved B750, please please anyone with good advice let me know....I am planning on buying this next week. Thank you so much.

Note: I found some pics in Flickr for Samsung LN52B750 go to flickr.com and type [url]http://www.flickr.com and search for LN52B750

You mention the thickness more than once. If it is critical to you, go with 7000.
post #373 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM

The thing that put the 7000 out of my mind was the purple hue of the edgelit screen when seen from anywhere past 30 degrees or so. It was very apparent on a dark screen. I thought it was great in store until I saw the credits roll and it came to the forefront.
I still don't fully understand the obsession with thin panels.
post #374 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I would recommend going to look at both in person before deciding. If thinness is of paramount importance you will find nothing thinner in Samsung's line than the 7000.
post #375 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what "less blurring" means or what you are comparing it to, but my BluRay viewing experience on the B750 is incredible (PS3). Now with AMP turned off, certain scenes with motion to not appear very smooth, but with AMP set to either "clear" or to a custom setting, the picture becomes very smooth.

BTW, for me, one of the best scenes to see the effects of AMP and motion is in the opening of "I Am Legend". There is a scene in the early part of the movie where a camera is looking down on top of the city and moving forward while the red mustang comes into view. Watch the buildings during this scene and play with AMP to see its effects on motion smoothness/studder.

I've changed my sharpness from 70 to 35. I've turned off the noise control. I've also changed my Custom from 10 Blur - 7 Smooth to 0 Blur - 3 Smooth. I've gotten much better results since I've made these changes.

I think the biggest problem came from the 10 Blur. It seemed like it introduced more trailing/misfocus than it helped with.

I'd like to know what everyone else has their AMP set to and under what conditions. What settings do you have for sports, movies, etc? What are your AMP settings when playing blu-ray?

I really want to see a blu ray but I don't have the $$$ to get a player yet.
post #376 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Like others on this forum, I too would recommend going with the B750 over the new LED edge lit B7000. It is still too early in development and Samsung has not yet perfected the edge lit LED. If you look at the B7000 in the store, you would notice flashlighting. If thickness is not important to you, go with the B750.
post #377 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is what I would say given that my layout is similar. I don't think that glare would be too much of a problem given the shape of your room unless the angle of your seating caused problems (e.g. if you sat directly across from the windows with the TV at a 45 degree angle to each). However, what you might find is a bigger problem is when the sun is shining directly into the windows onto the TV (I'm not sure which way those windows face, but mine face west so mid-late day causes me problems). Direct sunlight causes major washout. I was experiencing such, so I installed 1" faux wood blinds on all of my windows. For the most part, I leave all or most of the blinds open but during the latter part of the day I close the ones that prevent direct sunlight onto the TV.

Also, I just had another thought. What you might do is place a mirror where you are thinking about putting the TV then looking at it from your various seating angles. If you don't see lights in the house or light from windows reflected directly into the mirror from these positions then I would think you wouldn't have anything to worry about. Obviously, ambient light will contribute to reflections, but with the TV on you will rarely be aware of such.

Thanks Tantrum. As I said, I have not noticed any direct sunlight against that wall where the TV will go. Our windows face South-West.
post #378 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Go for the bigger size. Unless you were talking about a cheap 52" compared to a high end 46", go for the bigger size.
post #379 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Seriously I don't mind the thickness, I just want a TV that has a good PQ. MY TV is always on a Stand so really no one can notice thinness unless I pointed it out....So i am really heading towards the B750 which will be bigger and doesn't suffer much from the cloudiness that my A850 had. I am going to post the same question on the B7000 thread to see responses but I have read a lot of responses there and a lot of people are not really please with the B7000.

I just came from the store and saw the B6000 in action and I was impressed, first of all it was a 55" it was huge next the to 46" and the picture quality on the B6000 was amazing, I didn't see anything flashlights but the room was well lit.....so I guess you can notice it while in a dark room which Is usually my room. There was instances where the screen was black and only the samsung logo would appear, I took this opportunity to see any defects and nothing at all it had a nice black color. I am really confused as what to get I haven't had a chance to see the b750 in action so I guess when I see I'll know.....the other thing was that it was playing a blue-ray movie "Cars".....the 46" next to it which was also a B6000 was on regular HD channel at 720p and I felt it looked crappy but it looks that way in many TV's.....
post #380 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM

As has been stated before, if thinness is what you want, go with the 7000.
However, unless you are planning on wall mounting the TV, you will soon forget whether your TV is 1 inch thick or 3 inches thick.

At the same time, remember there may be a cost for that super thinness in terms of sound quality should you plan to rely only on the internal speakers. (Most reports say the B750 has better sound, possibly because of the thicker cabinet and different speaker placement).

While I was intriqued by the edge lit LED models and their thinness, what ultimately made me order the b750 and not get an LED model, was the off angle viewing washout of all LEDs, and the many reports of flashlighting, and occasional clouding complaints, not to mention the dimming problemspeople complain about with the LEDs. What has been special about b750, at least so far, has been the lack of ANY consistent complaint with this model.

I agree with others who state that the LED technology has not been perfected, especially with the edge mounted models. Frankly, I will be surprised if the off angle viewing issue can ever be eliminated. If you think about an LED and how focused and projected a LED point source of light is, it is hard to imagine how off axis brightness differences can be significantly reduced, much less eliminated, unless the number of LEDs is drastically increased. I guess that could be done, but we are unlikely to see that on any set that is remotely affordable to most of us.
post #381 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks for your response wtwieder".

I really think the b750 sound great, and many people in these forums seems happy with this set....I don't think a lot of you could be wrong....so I might pull out my wallet and get the B750 (the big boy)......can anyone say that its better than the LN46A850 which I am trying to replace?

Anyone knows of any settings.....I know settings out of the box sucks....but if anyone has any recommendation it will be greatly appreciated....
post #382 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbusby View Post

The thing that put the 7000 out of my mind was the purple hue of the edgelit screen when seen from anywhere past 30 degrees or so. It was very apparent on a dark screen. I thought it was great in store until I saw the credits roll and it came to the forefront.
I still don't fully understand the obsession with thin panels.

Cool factor - pure and simple. All things being equal, I'd much prefer the thinner LCD.
post #383 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 PM

I have been researching LCD's for a while and pulled the trigger two months ago on the 52A850 and soon after i received it learnt that I was one of the lucky ones to get a set with Clouding etc.. From reading this thread and seing the set in person at Best Buy I just ordered the 52B750 should have it next week... Will keep you posted on how it works out.
post #384 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Just ordered mine from big river under a promotion. I couldn't complain for the $160 upgrade over the A650 i was originally looking to purchase. I need to break down and cry though after i overshot my original budget though. It should be worth it in the end. I hope i wont regret going with this model over the A650, but from what i've heard it shouldn't disappoint.
post #385 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM

New to the forums, 1st post. As of tomorrow I'll be a new owner of the B750 too

I have a 2-week old 46A850 that I thought would fit my wall unit without over powering the room. Turns out the TV feels too small for the unit. Decided to return it and get the 52A850, but when the current Amazon promo didn't work on it I decided to have a look one more time at the rest of the lineup. Glad I did - I have a 52B750 that will be delivered tomorrow, and they'll be picking up the 46A850 to go back to Amazon. Nothing wrong with my 850, it just felt too small and I did find one cloudy spot but I could only see it in the dead of night with nothing on the screen.

-Corey

52B750 / AVR-888 / B&W DM series / HR23-700 / PS3 160GB / Wii
post #386 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your response wtwieder".

I really think the b750 sound great, and many people in these forums seems happy with this set....I don't think a lot of you could be wrong....so I might pull out my wallet and get the B750 (the big boy)......can anyone say that its better than the LN46A850 which I am trying to replace?

Anyone knows of any settings.....I know settings out of the box sucks....but if anyone has any recommendation it will be greatly appreciated....

Just read the entire thread, and you will see opinion (especially mine) that thinks the B750 is far superior to the A850 in issues related to PQ (clouding, flashlighting, AMP control, black density, contrasts, etc.)
post #387 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

those are all my photos

so i had a chance to watch an xvid on my 360 and i am pretty impressed. it was a 640x480 ~900kbps video, streamed to the 360 over wireless with Connect360, with the 360 connected to my receiver via hdmi, then hdmi to the tv. i must say it looked pretty dang good. i would set it a couple steps better than my comcast cable movie channels (SD) as far as PQ.

post #388 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

What current screen is similar to the B750? I want to go look at it in person but my local BB does not have the 750 in stock.
post #389 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM

bpmurr: Do you know what settings need to be adjusted to accomplish this? I have tried Energy Saving to Off and it still happens. It really doesn't bother that much, but would be nice to know which settings actually control that feature. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

It can be turned off. It just depends on your settings. It's not like the Luxia series that does the always on backlight pumping.

post #390 of 7369 Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson555 View Post

bpmurr: Do you know what settings need to be adjusted to accomplish this? I have tried Energy Saving to Off and it still happens. It really doesn't bother that much, but would be nice to know which settings actually control that feature. Thanks.

I posted my settings in the calibration thread. I don't have any noticeable auto dim. My 55B7100 with similar settings was a mess with that autodim.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page