Official Samsung LNxxB750 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a B750 from A****n on May 7. Quoting their web page "Want it delivered Monday, May 11? Order it in the next 6 hours and 3 minutes..." It was supposed to be shipped by Pilot Air Freight. I checked the tracking information Friday May 8 and A's page showed it had left PA at 5PM, May 7 with a delivery date of May 11. Though the weekend, I check A's tracking Page and nothing had changed. When I failed to get a call from Pilot to schedule delivery by this morning (May 11), I called A and was given a 2 hour phone run around. Finally A's customer service had the driver that has the package on his truck called me. He had not even left PA yet and would not be delivering the set until tomorrow, May12. Shortly after my call to A, suddenly the tracking showed a location of Herndon, VA (even though I spoke to the driver who was still in PA). In fact, I learned that Pilot WILL NOT be making the delivery, but some company named Sims.

I have to wonder why it was delayed, what condition the set will be and whether this shipping company will provide "white glove" delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

In my case, I won't be getting my TV on time. According to the tracking information on Amazon, the arrival was slated for tomorrow. I called Pilot because I hadn't heard from them about setting up an appointment for tomorrow. They stated that the arrival date was on the tracking information was when it would get into my town. I should only expect a call on the date after it arrives for setting up an appointment for delivery on the next day. According to Amazon, my TV was shipped on May 5th from PA. I really don't understand how it takes 5 days for a TV to get to Ohio where I live. If it was actually shipped when stated, I should have gotten it 4 days early, too; certainly, not 2 days late.

This is a followup on my post above. The national number for Pilot doesn't really seem to know what's going on or give appropriate advice. About an hour after their telling me my TV would only arrive in Ohio on the expected delivery date, May 12th, I noticed on a recheck of the Amazon tracking information that the set was just received at the local Pilot receiving depot. When I asked to set up an appointment for delivery for tomorrow, I was told that the local carrier would schedule that only after they have picked up the set. They didn't expect I would hear from them until tomorrow, meaning I will still be getting the TV a day late. Oh, well, considering I have been lurking around the forum for months trying to figure out what TV to order, another day shouldn't matter.
post #543 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tantrum View Post

I owned a 5271 for a year before it was eventually replaced with the B750. In my opinion, the B750 has a wider viewing angle and better PQ. It appears slightly less hazzy and washed out (blacks are retained better) than my 5271 did when viewing off axis.

No dought.

Side question did your 5271 smell like plastic? We set up a 4671 and it made the whole room smell like plastic.
post #544 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscool View Post

What can we attribute the slow responsiveness to though? Are you connecting via wireless or wired?

From a networking standpoint, is there a possibility that the set is having network issues of some sort? I.e. perhaps it is not retaining its IP address from the DHCP server and has to broadcast for a new address each time?That is obviously not how DHCP should be handled, but perhaps something is happening there.

Is it the fact that the "processor" in the set is too slow (which would be ridiculous) or perhaps an issue on Yahoo's end?

I honestly cannot for the life of me understand how such a simple feature would be so slow to fire up.

I'm wired, but it still takes about 60 seconds to load all of the widgets the first time you run them, then probably about 30 seconds after that (btw, I have Gigabit to my router & I have Verizon FiOS internet - although not sure what speed NIC the TV has). I don't know if it's the web client on the TV or what, but it is slow to load. Now, once they are loaded everything is quite responsive (sorry for any confusion).
post #545 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No dought.

Side question did your 5271 smell like plastic? We set up a 4671 and it made the whole room smell like plastic.

No, we never noticed any smells coming from the set, and I know that we would have because my wife is hypersensative to those types of things.
post #546 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

I posted this in the calibration thread as well, but I'm open to ideas -

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting deep enough blacks without losing detail? Last night we watched Prince Caspian and when we were watching the cavern scenes (ie when the dwarf was trying to bring back the white witch), we noticed that the blacks were too much to the point where I could not see any detail. Then when we tried to lighten up the picture (brightness, etc.), we got more detail, but the blacks started looking greyish.
post #547 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Pilot delivered my 52B750 this morning. I ordered this unit from Amazon last Wednesday (5/6) with an estimated delivery date of 5/13. Pilot called Friday and said they would deliver Monday. At 10am they showed up and removed the TV from the box, installed the stand and helped me put in the built in entertainment center. Great service from Amazon and Pilot.

First impressions:
* WOW! The colors were so vibrant and blacks dark and rich. In fact the PQ was so different than my Sammy LN-S4692D I was a little overwhelmed and got a little dizzy from looking at the screen about 12' away. May move it back a little.
* So far I do not see any evidence of significant clouding or flashligthing. On a total black screen no visible issues.
* Due to the vibrant colors and so many settings this set will defintely need "dialing in". Initially I like the Natural mode the best and have played a little with all the settings. Obvioulsy have much work to do and looking forward to others postings on suggested calibration.
* Hooked up to my home network and had NO issues with connecting to internet and loading the Yahoo widgets. Don't really know if I will use these much but maybe future applications will make it more interesting and worth while (takes a little time to connect and download).
* Looks like I will need to do some reprograming of my universal remote. Although it recognizes the B750 (same codes as previous Sammy) for some reasons switching from SAT to BD or vice versa screws things up and it does not get the inputs right.
* BD looks great on this unit. I have a Sammy BD2550 and when I switched settings on the 2550 to 24fps I was totally taken back by the PQ. It certainly looks different and will need to get use to viewing in this mode. My wife said it looks better than being in the theater.
* I do have one out of box first impression that is a little concerning. The set is certainly reflective. Much more than my previous matte screen Sammy. Fortunately I have it mounted recessed into a large wall entertainment center and it is blocked from lighting on the sides so it isn't too bad. Switched off it almost has a "mirror" reflection though. I don't think this will be an issue for me as I have added dimmer overhead lights but I can see I possible issue for someone that has the unit out in a highly lit area.

Overall first impression - my wait and research has paid off but only time and tweaking will finally prove this. I am sure I will many more questions and postings in my quest.
post #548 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Ok, as the current owner of a Samsung LNT4665F, and after reading reviews and forums (especially this one) for almost 2 months, I pulled the trigger on the LN52B750 from the Big River. I am scheduled for delivery next Wednesday the 20th (gave them enough time in advance so that they wont be late). I can't wait to compare the changes in the new tv versus my 2 year old. Thanks for all the help!
post #549 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto400 View Post

Pilot delivered my 52B750 this morning. I ordered this unit from Amazon last Wednesday (5/6) with an estimated delivery date of 5/13. Pilot called Friday and said they would deliver Monday. At 10am they showed up and removed the TV from the box, installed the stand and helped me put in the built in entertainment center. Great service from Amazon and Pilot.

First impressions:
* WOW! The colors were so vibrant and blacks dark and rich. In fact the PQ was so different than my Sammy LN-S4692D I was a little overwhelmed and got a little dizzy from looking at the screen about 12' away. May move it back a little.
* So far I do not see any evidence of significant clouding or flashligthing. On a total black screen no visible issues.
* Due to the vibrant colors and so many settings this set will defintely need "dialing in". Initially I like the Natural mode the best and have played a little with all the settings. Obvioulsy have much work to do and looking forward to others postings on suggested calibration.
* Hooked up to my home network and had NO issues with connecting to internet and loading the Yahoo widgets. Don't really know if I will use these much but maybe future applications will make it more interesting and worth while (takes a little time to connect and download).
* Looks like I will need to do some reprograming of my universal remote. Although it recognizes the B750 (same codes as previous Sammy) for some reasons switching from SAT to BD or vice versa screws things up and it does not get the inputs right.
* BD looks great on this unit. I have a Sammy BD2550 and when I switched settings on the 2550 to 24fps I was totally taken back by the PQ. It certainly looks different and will need to get use to viewing in this mode. My wife said it looks better than being in the theater.
* I do have one out of box first impression that is a little concerning. The set is certainly reflective. Much more than my previous matte screen Sammy. Fortunately I have it mounted recessed into a large wall entertainment center and it is blocked from lighting on the sides so it isn't too bad. Switched off it almost has a "mirror" reflection though. I don't think this will be an issue for me as I have added dimmer overhead lights but I can see I possible issue for someone that has the unit out in a highly lit area.

Overall first impression - my wait and research has paid off but only time and tweaking will finally prove this. I am sure I will many more questions and postings in my quest.

Can you post some pics of your setup? How high is the tv sitting in your ent unit from the floor? Can you comment on viewing angles?
post #550 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tantrum View Post

Well, it's kind of cool and it looks good. Personally, probably the only one I can see using right now is the weather. However since it takes about 60 seconds before it loads, I may just stick with channel 100 on my dish for looking up the forecast.

cool factor: A-
potential: B
responsiveness: C-

I have my TV hard wired to my LAN until I decide whether to put it on my wireless, depending on what hardware solution I choose. (Samsung's dongle is so pricey.) I have found the Widgets a slow load, too, but hasn't bothered me too greatly because I have found the Konfabulator engine a slowish load on my Mac widgets, too.

What has bothered me more is that the remote (or TV?) is very finicky. I have to have it pointed right at the IR receiver. A little deviance left, right, up or down and I'm shocked at how narrow the zone is for it to reliably detect the signal. Were the remote to work better for me I have the hunch that I'd feel the Widgets are a bit more responsive than they seem. (Still, I agree that they feel a touch too slow.)

I see a lot of potential to the Widgets feature given what properties they are advertising at the the website connected to this initiative. http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/services/tv-widgets

The Yahoo Video widget, for example, has worked very efficiently for us; its only limitation is variety of content. Given that some of these other video services like CBS TV, Netflix, Blockbuster, YouTube, Showtime, CBS Sports, and etc., appear to be coming it looks like a terrific platform on which to take another stab at persuading the public to embrace the idea of internet enabled TV. If they could design the keyboard to be QWERTY that would help a lot. And if the touchscreen Harmony remote turns out to implement keyboard support for this service, I could see how this could be a rather enjoyable feature.

Till then I wish I could figure out why the 750's remote seems so sensitive and narrow in reception width compared to my Sony Blu-Ray player's remote.
post #551 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvidiot View Post

Usually reducing the backlight level will make flashlighting/clouding less visible. Rarely do they go away on their own ......but some have reported that they do. If it's still there and bothering you after a week or so , I'd say you might want to get Amazon to replace it.

Changing my TV to the dynamic picture settings and reducing backlight to a 8 affected perception of the cloudiness in the lower corner very favorably. I think I will give it a week and see where it stands. Thanks! I still have more tweaking to do once I do some adjustments using calibration stills.

Blu-Ray content is looking tremendous -- though the first time seeing the opening sequence of Dark Knight with the 240hz on made it look way too smooth and perfect, like a watching a behind-the-scenes video of actors rather than characters who my mind can see as "believable." Funny trade off, that.
post #552 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM

I can't remember if I've asked this question...but do any of you notice any blurring/ghosting with the AMP turned off?

Still a bit afraid from my 46B550 experience
post #553 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Will someone tell me where to find the B750's latest firmware? I'm looking at the Samsung.com's download center and can't find it.
post #554 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotequest View Post

Changing my TV to the dynamic picture settings and reducing backlight to a 8 affected perception of the cloudiness in the lower corner very favorably. I think I will give it a week and see where it stands. Thanks! I still have more tweaking to do once I do some adjustments using calibration stills.

Blu-Ray content is looking tremendous -- though the first time seeing the opening sequence of Dark Knight with the 240hz on made it look way too smooth and perfect, like a watching a behind-the-scenes video of actors rather than characters who my mind can see as "believable." Funny trade off, that.

I went ahead and called Samsung regarding my clouding in the lower right corner. They are going to have someone give me a call w/ in 24 hours to schedule an appointment. I'll let you all know how I make out.

How does Dark Night look w/ AMP off?
post #555 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm101inm101 View Post

I went ahead and called Samsung regarding my clouding in the lower right corner. They are going to have someone give me a call w/ in 24 hours to schedule an appointment. I'll let you all know how I make out.

How does Dark Night look w/ AMP off?

That's the same place I have my cloud. Let me know what you hear. It may affect whether I choose to live with mine or not.

Is the AMP the same or different from the 240 being on or off? So far have only watched Dark Knight and some episodes of Star Trek TOS1 on Blu-Ray. I thought they looked more 'believable' with the 240hz off, assuming that's the same as having AMP off. Having a softer, more filmlike, but very clean BD image still looks better than an upscaled DVD. I may feel differently when I test some Pixar BDs this evening.
post #556 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Will someone tell me where to find the B750's latest firmware? I'm looking at the Samsung.com's download center and can't find it.

is your TV networked? if so update through the setup menu.
post #557 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Dynamic...?! That's for store use for the most part.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #558 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarzin View Post

Can you post some pics of your setup? How high is the tv sitting in your ent unit from the floor? Can you comment on viewing angles?

Bottom of bezel is 32" from the floor. I have tried viewing at 45 degrees with little degradation. Just finished watching SAT reception for a few hours and have noticed some minor flashlighting at top of screen. Not real noticable but I could see it a few times. Hopefullly after I get settings and calibration right it will be even more reduced. The other thing I noticed is that the picture is moving in such a manner that it really is a little like riding a "roller coaster". This may have something to do with the AMP settings which I have not really played with yet. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #559 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Dynamic...?! That's for store use for the most part.

I usually use dynamic mode when it's really bright in my room [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
post #560 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM

When I first turned on my new 52B750 the start-up black screen looked real good and SAT broadcast showed no signs of clouds or flashlights. However I played a BD disc tonight and noticed on the black open title scenes there was very significant clounding or flashlighting (lower left hand corner and diagonal line from upper left). This was also quite noticable during any scenes that were dark in the corners. After the BD I switched back to SAT and the "bright" spots were still there. I tried changing modes and back light settings but no luck. My question, what is the difference between clouds and flashlights? Is the problem I am describing considered flashlights or clouds? I know this is only day one and the problem may go away but is is concerning me because it is quite noticable on darker scenes. Has anyone else run into this and what did you do to overcome? Thanks.
post #561 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First impressions:

I finally got to see an LN52B750 live today at Ultimate Electronics. The reflectivity was almost shocking to me. I had viewed the A650 last year and I was looking for a little screen anti-glare improvement. I don't think there is any. My wife was with me as this was going to be my chance to sell her on this HDTV. While both of us were dazzled by the PQ, her reaction to the reflectivity just about killed the deal and my reaction, though concealed, was concern about being stuck with this "black mirror" for the next 5 to 10 years in my family room.

She got on about liking matte screens so much that the sales associate told her that the only higher end HDTVs to rival Samsung's PQ that had a matte screen were Sonys. He showed us a just set up Sony 52Z5100 (~$550 more than the B750). Yes it had a matte screen and no there weren't any reflections or glare, but the PQ, even compared to a B650 Sammy about 3 feet away, was inferior to the Sammy's. The Sony just looked dull and lacked color saturation and picture sharpness/clarity. Now some may say this is more natural, but I say it didn't look any better than LCD HDTVs of 2 or 3 years ago. Got my wife and the sales associate to agree that the Sony wasn't as sharp or color saturated as the nearby B650 or a "closeout" Toshiba below it (the Toshiba's colors were way off, but they were deeper and the picture was sharper). To its credit, the Z5100 had better blacks than either the B650, which really looked blue gray along the whole black bars top and bottom, or the B750, which had a blueish-gray tinge along the black bars when viewed from a sharp angle.

When we got home we did a test with a large glass covered painted picture in front of our current family room HDTV to evaluate expected reflections in our viewing environment (good suggestion by the UE sales associate). By closing shades on key windows we were able to minimize available light sources for the glass or the B750 to reflect, but it was far from ideal and the picture glass wasn't anywhere near as shiny as the B750's screen. I got the wife to say go buy it if you want to, but I'm hesitant now because the reflections bother me also and 5 to 10 years is a long time to live with a TV that annoys you, to say nothing of the abuse I'll get from the wife for years if the B750 turns out to be an eye sore in our family room.

UE had the B750 set up where is could only show BD and their only BD video was Top Gun. Looked stunning, like the actors were in the room with you. They had the AMP on Standard and the video looked life-like. I really like that video tape look as opposed to the grainy look of movies in the theaters. But, I'd really like to see the PQ with a DBS HD feed or better yet, an OTA DTV feed of a live sporting event. I'd really like to see if "real life" looks like "real life" on the B750.

BTW, the UE sales associate claimed that Sony did the motion correction better with their MotionFlow than did Samsung with AMP. He also claimed that Sony's 240 Hz processing was a true 240 Hz as opposed to Samsung just doing a doubling of their 120 Hz signal to get 240 Hz, whatever that was supposed to mean. I hadn't heard anything about these issues before and the Sonys were just arriving in store.

On a related note, they didn't have any B630s or B610s (or whatever the matte screen B650 will be designated this year) and didn't have any information as to when any would arrive.

So now I'm torn. The B750 does seem to have the best or one of the best PQs of 2009 LCD HDTVs, but the screen reflectivity may be problematic. Haven't seen a B630/B610, but if they are a lesser version of the B650, I probably won't be satisfied with the PQ as the B650 really didn't seem as good as the outgoing A650. The supposed Sony competitor fell way short and the next one up (52XBR9) is almost $1K more than the current going rate for the B750, which is way too much money just to get a matte screen with great PQ.

I just may have to skip the current Big River promotion and wait to see what else comes along.
post #562 of 7369 Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

CEB II....here's how i thought your long saga was going to end....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II as edited by TVbc View Post

The supposed Sony competitor fell way short and the next one up (52XBR9) is almost $1K more than the current going rate for the B750, which is way too much money just to get a matte screen with great PQ.
I just may have to skip the current Big River promotion and ...

...and just go ahead and get that sony 52xbr9 that has that matte screen with great PQ. afterall, i'm going to be living with thing for 5 to 10 years down there in the den, and it'll be great not to cringe at the reflection every time i pass the hdtv. heck, in 5 to 10 years, i won't even remember how much more it cost over the sets that would have made me unhappy as hell, not to mention the flak from you-know-who. so thanks guys for reading, i'm off tomorrow to get that set with the matte screen and great PQ. or maybe i'll wait a bit longer for the price to come down.

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #563 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:

That's the same place I have my cloud. Let me know what you hear. It may affect whether I choose to live with mine or not.

Is the AMP the same or different from the 240 being on or off? So far have only watched Dark Knight and some episodes of Star Trek TOS1 on Blu-Ray. I thought they looked more 'believable' with the 240hz off, assuming that's the same as having AMP off. Having a softer, more filmlike, but very clean BD image still looks better than an upscaled DVD. I may feel differently when I test some Pixar BDs this evening.

I will let you know. My cloud/flashlight starts in the bottom right hand corner and extends up to where the component/hdmi cables are plugged in. I'm wondering if that spot has something to do w/ it (where the cables are plugged in).
post #564 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

I finally got to see an LN52B750 live today at Ultimate Electronics. The reflectivity was almost shocking to me. I had viewed the A650 last year and I was looking for a little screen anti-glare improvement. I don't think there is any. My wife was with me as this was going to be my chance to sell her on this HDTV. While both of us were dazzled by the PQ, her reaction to the reflectivity just about killed the deal and my reaction, though concealed, was concern about being stuck with this "black mirror" for the next 5 to 10 years in my family room.

She got on about liking matte screens so much that the sales associate told her that the only higher end HDTVs to rival Samsung's PQ that had a matte screen were Sonys. He showed us a just set up Sony 52Z5100 (~$550 more than the B750). Yes it had a matte screen and no there weren't any reflections or glare, but the PQ, even compared to a B650 Sammy about 3 feet away, was inferior to the Sammy's. The Sony just looked dull and lacked color saturation and picture sharpness/clarity. Now some may say this is more natural, but I say it didn't look any better than LCD HDTVs of 2 or 3 years ago. Got my wife and the sales associate to agree that the Sony wasn't as sharp or color saturated as the nearby B650 or a "closeout" Toshiba below it (the Toshiba's colors were way off, but they were deeper and the picture was sharper). To its credit, the Z5100 had better blacks than either the B650, which really looked blue gray along the whole black bars top and bottom, or the B750, which had a blueish-gray tinge along the black bars when viewed from a sharp angle.

When we got home we did a test with a large glass covered painted picture in front of our current family room HDTV to evaluate expected reflections in our viewing environment (good suggestion by the UE sales associate). By closing shades on key windows we were able to minimize available light sources for the glass or the B750 to reflect, but it was far from ideal and the picture glass wasn't anywhere near as shiny as the B750's screen. I got the wife to say go buy it if you want to, but I'm hesitant now because the reflections bother me also and 5 to 10 years is a long time to live with a TV that annoys you, to say nothing of the abuse I'll get from the wife for years if the B750 turns out to be an eye sore in our family room.

UE had the B750 set up where is could only show BD and their only BD video was Top Gun. Looked stunning, like the actors were in the room with you. They had the AMP on Standard and the video looked life-like. I really like that video tape look as opposed to the grainy look of movies in the theaters. But, I'd really like to see the PQ with a DBS HD feed or better yet, an OTA DTV feed of a live sporting event. I'd really like to see if "real life" looks like "real life" on the B750.

BTW, the UE sales associate claimed that Sony did the motion correction better with their MotionFlow than did Samsung with AMP. He also claimed that Sony's 240 Hz processing was a true 240 Hz as opposed to Samsung just doing a doubling of their 120 Hz signal to get 240 Hz, whatever that was supposed to mean. I hadn't heard anything about these issues before and the Sonys were just arriving in store.

On a related note, they didn't have any B630s or B610s (or whatever the matte screen B650 will be designated this year) and didn't have any information as to when any would arrive.

So now I'm torn. The B750 does seem to have the best or one of the best PQs of 2009 LCD HDTVs, but the screen reflectivity may be problematic. Haven't seen a B630/B610, but if they are a lesser version of the B650, I probably won't be satisfied with the PQ as the B650 really didn't seem as good as the outgoing A650. The supposed Sony competitor fell way short and the next one up (52XBR9) is almost $1K more than the current going rate for the B750, which is way too much money just to get a matte screen with great PQ.

I just may have to skip the current Big River promotion and wait to see what else comes along.

Just curious if you played around with the AMP settings such as the Custom? Out-of-the-box there is noticeable judder with the presets from all source content especially with Bluray. It's best to set it to Custom and play around with the blur and judder. Not sure if Sony has this much customization on their Motion Compensation feature. The previous A series lines from Samsung didn't have this last year.

What? It's not free! Forget about it!
post #565 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:

When I first turned on my new 52B750 the start-up black screen looked real good and SAT broadcast showed no signs of clouds or flashlights. However I played a BD disc tonight and noticed on the black open title scenes there was very significant clounding or flashlighting (lower left hand corner and diagonal line from upper left). This was also quite noticable during any scenes that were dark in the corners. After the BD I switched back to SAT and the "bright" spots were still there. I tried changing modes and back light settings but no luck. My question, what is the difference between clouds and flashlights? Is the problem I am describing considered flashlights or clouds? I know this is only day one and the problem may go away but is is concerning me because it is quite noticable on darker scenes. Has anyone else run into this and what did you do to overcome? Thanks.

If I want to return this TV due to the clouding/flashlight issues do I go back to Amazon and request return? If so do they arrange pick-up (and packing)? Or should I try Samsung tech support first? I think the reason I did not notice the issue yesterday durning the day is that in a brighter room the issue is not as noticable but at night it is a different story. Very disappointing if this does not correct itself.
post #566 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:

If I want to return this TV due to the clouding/flashlight issues do I go back to Amazon and request return? If so do they arrange pick-up (and packing)? Or should I try Samsung tech support first? I think the reason I did not notice the issue yesterday durning the day is that in a brighter room the issue is not as noticable but at night it is a different story. Very disappointing if this does not correct itself.

You will need to talk to Samsung get a ticket opened and give that ticket number to Amazon only then will they accept a return and not charge you else you will be charged return shipping by Amazon. Good luck
post #567 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 AM

Several times in this forum thread, many people have said that the black levels are too high and some detail is lost. A few have said that you cannot fix this without making the blacks too grey. Also, many have said that there are clouding and flashlighting issues.

I have a beautiful A850 but have clouding/flashlighting issues. I have 4 more days in my return window according to Amazon. I was thinking that the next 10-15 years would be a long time to live with the flashlighting and realizing that I could have gotten this replaced by Amazon.

But I fear that if I replace this set with a B750, I'm going to experience a picture that is too dark AND I'll have clouding/flashlighting.

I'm not asking about gold box specials, Big River coupon codes or even prices at all! Yet my previous questions about this have been mostly ignored. So are people not concerned about this "excessive darks" problem?
post #568 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Admittedly, it took me awhile to come around on the glossy styling of the Samsungs. However, I could not be happier with my decision. The only time that the reflectiveness of the B750 is even noticable to me is when there is a light source (window, light fixture, etc.) directly in line with viewing. For example, I have 2 very large windows that are about 12' directly behind my chair and inline with my viewing angle of the TV. On bright days, I have to close the blinds in order to minimize the reflection. Once I do, however, I only notice the reflections during darker scenes. At night, I don't have an issue at all since all of our lighting in the area is posititioned not to reflect at angles that can be viewed from our seating arrangement.

Prior to having the Samsung LCD's, I had both a standard rear projection unit and a DLP. I must say that then PQ of the Samsung is exponentially better than either of these two matted screens. Granted, they are completely different technologies, but I thing that reflective nature of the Samsung has to play some role in the PQ they are able to produce.
post #569 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgalletta View Post

Several times in this forum thread, many people have said that the black levels are too high and some detail is lost. A few have said that you cannot fix this without making the blacks too grey. Also, many have said that there are clouding and flashlighting issues.

I have a beautiful A850 but have clouding/flashlighting issues. I have 4 more days in my return window according to Amazon. I was thinking that the next 10-15 years would be a long time to live with the flashlighting and realizing that I could have gotten this replaced by Amazon.

But I fear that if I replace this set with a B750, I'm going to experience a picture that is too dark AND I'll have clouding/flashlighting.

I'm not asking about gold box specials, Big River coupon codes or even prices at all! Yet my previous questions about this have been mostly ignored. So are people not concerned about this "excessive darks" problem?

I've had both sets and replaced my A850 with a B750 and could not be happier. Regarding blacks, they do appear much deeper and richer than the A850. Out of the box, they are probably too dark and there may be some loss of detail. However, there are a variety of settings that can be adjusted to to tweak the blacks to your liking such as backlight level, brightness, contrast, black tone (off/dark/darker/darkest), dynamic contrast, HDMI black level, etc.

I had similar clouding/flashlighting issues that you are experiencing, which completetly ruined my enjoyment of the A850. The B750 seems to be a much stronger set in a variety of areas in my opinion, and I gladly accept whatever minor perceived issues it has over the blatently obvious issues that the A850 has.
post #570 of 7369 Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 AM

I've been reading this and other b750 threads for a while and finally saw the big river deal and pulled the trigger on a 46b750. It should be here this Monday, if not sooner, hopefully. They are using Pilot to ship it. I read some of the experiences with them and seemed to be a mix of positive and negative so far. Anyone else have any experience with them?

I can't wait for it to get here.... is it Monday yet???
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page