Official Samsung LNxxB750 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung LNxxB750 Owners Thread
Tandrin's Avatar Tandrin 03:14 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto400 View Post

Can someone tell me the difference between clouding and flashligts?

Flashlights usually seem directional and come from the edges of the screen - essentially backlight bleed. Clouding is more a result of poor screen uniformity and appears as lighter or grey clouds anywhere on the screen. These screen abnormalities are common and are also called mura.

99SiR's Avatar 99SiR 03:38 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bteller View Post

I received my 52 tv this morning from Amazon (delivered by Pilot). I'll be testing the tv on some video games; I have an Xbox 360 elite. I'll probably check out the tv playing Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

What display have you played these on before? Just a little curious about input lag. Please post how COD4 and other games look and feel. Because of possible input lag I'm on the fence between this lcd and a plasma panel. Thanks!
VR SNAKE's Avatar VR SNAKE 04:29 PM 05-13-2009
I'm really considering buying the 40b750 from amazon or cleveland plasma. I've never bought a tv online. Which warranty do you recommend I purchase with the b750.
dfp's Avatar dfp 04:52 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgalletta View Post

The 52A850 is far worse than expected and every time I hear it I am shocked again at how bad it is. I wanted to be able to have my wife watch casual stuff and not have to turn on the receiver.

My 52A860's weak sound was the excuse I needed to pick up a sound system. If you haven't been following receivers, you might be interested in a new, inexpensive Denon 1909 with HDMI control, whereby the receiver passes thru HDMI sound and video when the receiver is in Standby (@ 30 watts)... my wife can just turn on the TV, no receiver... exactly what you're looking for. I also just read a review of a new Onkyo that has the same feature.
N1LSS's Avatar N1LSS 04:54 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR SNAKE View Post

I'm really considering buying the 40b750 from amazon or cleveland plasma. I've never bought a tv online. Which warranty do you recommend I purchase with the b750. [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]

Depends what you're looking for. I've always gotten the standard warranty with mine, but others buy the extended for piece of mind. It's all about your personality as a buyer.
SteveCallas's Avatar SteveCallas 05:21 PM 05-13-2009
As for the comments about testing for clouding/flashlighting, yes, a black screen tests for flashlighting, but a grey screen is better for testing clouding or uneven backlighting.
slapshot's Avatar slapshot 05:46 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

My 52A860's weak sound was the excuse I needed to pick up a sound system. If you haven't been following receivers, you might be interested in a new, inexpensive Denon 1909 with HDMI control, whereby the receiver passes thru HDMI sound and video when the receiver is in Standby (@ 30 watts)... my wife can just turn on the TV, no receiver... exactly what you're looking for. I also just read a review of a new Onkyo that has the same feature.

Not to derail the thread but I don't like the sound through the Samsung so I might be interested in this feature,as I'm looking to replace my old receiver. I found the Denon you mentioned but which Onkyo were you referring to?
robusto400's Avatar robusto400 06:22 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

Not to derail the thread but I don't like the sound through the Samsung so I might be interested in this feature,as I'm looking to replace my old receiver. I found the Denon you mentioned but which Onkyo were you referring to?

I would stay with the Denon models. Onyko's are known for generating a lot of heat. I have the Denon 2809 and it is fantastic. Go to the audio forums and you will learn everything (and more) you need to know.
robusto400's Avatar robusto400 06:24 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrin View Post

Flashlights usually seem directional and come from the edges of the screen - essentially backlight bleed. Clouding is more a result of poor screen uniformity and appears as lighter or grey clouds anywhere on the screen. These screen abnormalities are common and are also called mura.

Sorry but I have asked this question before but what extend of clouding and flashlighting are people seeing on their new B750's? I see it on mine but just curious if others have it too or do I have a problem.
robusto400's Avatar robusto400 06:44 PM 05-13-2009
Has anyone tried this setting under picture options? I cannot get it activated because it is not available (greyed out). The manual says it is supported under HDMI input which I have. Also tried to turn it on under all 4 picture modes but still no luck.
dfgalletta's Avatar dfgalletta 06:45 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:

I would stay with the Denon models. Onyko's are known for generating a lot of heat. I have the Denon 2809 and it is fantastic. Go to the audio forums and you will learn everything (and more) you need to know.

That reply was in reference to a Denon feature of passing through HDMI on standby.

Well, believe it or not, 5 months ago I broke the piggy bank and bought a new Denon 4308ci. NOTE: SEE FOLLOWUP TO SEE THAT THE NEXT SENTENCE IS WRONG!!! Apparently it does not have that feature. Is there a name for that feature? Is it something you have to turn on? I got an HDMI splitter so that we could do that but the splitter "dumbs down" the audio to just stereo when the tv is connected to it. It is fine when the TV is not connected to it, even through the splitter. I didn't buy the 4308ci for stereo!
clue_less's Avatar clue_less 06:51 PM 05-13-2009
Just ordered LN52B750 from Big River. Promo coupled with GB trick is sweet deal indeed. Sorry if its inappropriate but to Uh Beast or others who cant get it into the GB, "own" the blu ray players as well. Just HDMI cables and extended warranty may not get you the specific model and remove all unwanted stuff from recommended items - this step is very important. I was getting all sorts of dvd, lcd brackets etc on the GB - no TVs for the first few days. I removed ALL unwanted stuff from recommended section so that all I see recommended are samsung lcds. next day my GB has nothing but samsung LCDs and my model was there too. Try it, may work for you.
slapshot's Avatar slapshot 07:50 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:

I know where the audio forums are.
I simpy asked forum member dfp which Onkyo he was referring to.
Does your 2809 have that feature and what does Denon call it as it would be very useful in my setup.
JChin's Avatar JChin 08:50 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:

That reply was in reference to a Denon feature of passing through HDMI on standby.

Well, believe it or not, 5 months ago I broke the piggy bank and bought a new Denon 4308ci. Apparently it does not have that feature. Is there a name for that feature? Is it something you have to turn on? I got an HDMI splitter so that we could do that but the splitter "dumbs down" the audio to just stereo when the tv is connected to it. It is fine when the TV is not connected to it, even through the splitter. I didn't buy the 4308ci for stereo!

The HDMI pass through options are very limited on the 4308ci (page 30 in Owner's Manual)...You can enable pass through based on the connection types:

A to H: IP scalar enabled for all analog sources only (i.e. pass through for all HDMI sources)

A to H & H to H: IP scalar enabled for all sources

Off: IP scalar disabled (pass through for all sources)
TechnoG's Avatar TechnoG 08:57 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrazyeddy2 View Post

I posted this in the calibration thread as well, but I'm open to ideas -

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting deep enough blacks without losing detail? Last night we watched Prince Caspian and when we were watching the cavern scenes (ie when the dwarf was trying to bring back the white witch), we noticed that the blacks were too much to the point where I could not see any detail. Then when we tried to lighten up the picture (brightness, etc.), we got more detail, but the blacks started looking greyish.

DJ, have you thought about getting a professional calibration done? I know they are expensive, but it might be a good option. I am also interested in this TV and I am concerned about the shadow detail that has been mentioned a couple of times. I was in BB again this last weekend and they had a set up in the Magnolia section with two same brand and model HDTV's (not the B750). I believe they were Panasonic plasmas. One was before professional calibration and the other one was after. We froze some dark scenes, and you could much more shadow detail in the post calibrated TV. We were watrching some scenes from the Planet Earth Blu-ray. Of course, the salesman was trying to sell the calibration services for when/if I was to buy a TV from them. Assuming this whole setup was not a trick, it looks like a certified calibrator may be able to bring out more in the picture than you can with a calibration disk. Just a thought.
JChin's Avatar JChin 09:06 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

I know where the audio forums are.
I simpy asked forum member dfp which Onkyo he was referring to.
Does your 2809 have that feature and what does Denon call it as it would be very useful in my setup.

The Denon 2809 has that feature, its call HDMI Control Function. When in standby the HDMI communication is only between TV and source device.
bubbusby's Avatar bubbusby 09:30 PM 05-13-2009
Cnet posted their calibration for the 52B750.
I put it over in the calibration thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16456863
I'm interested to hear how this may effect peoples problems with black levels.
My delivery was delayed. I'm seriously loosing it.
djcrazyeddy2's Avatar djcrazyeddy2 10:10 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoG View Post

DJ, have you thought about getting a professional calibration done? I know they are expensive, but it might be a good option. I am also interested in this TV and I am concerned about the shadow detail that has been mentioned a couple of times. I was in BB again this last weekend and they had a set up in the Magnolia section with two same brand and model HDTV's (not the B750). I believe they were Panasonic plasmas. One was before professional calibration and the other one was after. We froze some dark scenes, and you could much more shadow detail in the post calibrated TV. We were watrching some scenes from the Planet Earth Blu-ray. Of course, the salesman was trying to sell the calibration services for when/if I was to buy a TV from them. Assuming this whole setup was not a trick, it looks like a certified calibrator may be able to bring out more in the picture than you can with a calibration disk. Just a thought.

I appreciate the suggestion. I'd say if the calibration involves going into the service menu and doing some tweaks, then it may be worth it. However, with what what I've seen the B750 do so far, I should be able to just tweak the settings to get the PQ that I would be happy with. And trust me, there's tons of settings to play around with on the B750. I've been able to succesfully self-calibrate my last 3 sets (2 plasmas and 1 lcd) using a combination of my own eyes, a calibration dvd, and of course input that people from this forum have shared - and all these sets ended up with priceless PQ. If you're interested in the B750 and are concerned about the shadow detail, it may make sense to have a BB rep connect a Blu-ray to the B750 with an HDMI cable and watch a movie with some dark scenes and determine if the black levels would bother you or not. One night I actually showed scene15 of National Treasure2 to my wife on both the B750 and the plasma and she can tell that some detail was lost on the B750. But as I mentioned in my prior post, let's put things into perspective - This is ONE scence in one movie and how many 'cave' movies am I really going to watch? I watched scenes from Wall-E the other night and the B750 PQ quality (in terms of vibrant detail) blows the plasma away. At the end of the day, I was pleased with the PQ from both sets....the LCD was vibrant, bright, very detailed while the plasma was warm and natural looking. Coming from primarily a plasma experience, I want to see if I can get the best of both worls from the B750.
dfgalletta's Avatar dfgalletta 10:24 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

The Denon 2809 has that feature, its call HDMI Control Function. When in standby the HDMI communication is only between TV and source device.

Yep, I have that feature. Mine is set as follows:

CONTROL is ON
CONTROL MONITOR is set to MONITOR 1
POWER OFF CONTROL is ON

There are two MONITOR OUT plugs. One is highlighted (colored in) and the other is blank. I switched the two, and put my TV set in the highlighted one (the one on the left as you look at the outputs in the manual) with my projector on the blank one.

Hurray! It now works! Thanks so much, JChin! Now I can return one of my HDMI splitters! By the way, how does it know which input I want? Is it the last one used?
ILLCOMM's Avatar ILLCOMM 10:53 PM 05-13-2009
Hello cloudy days!

Just got my second B750. I purchased a second because I obtained it for many hundreds of dollars less than the first. The plan was to return unit 1 after getting unit 2. However, unlike the first one, this unit has serious issues as the picture shows:

I'll note that the cloudy backlight is absolutely distracting when watching content, especially during dark scenes. It's not a non-issue that can only be seen with blank screen.

This came from an online retailer and unlike my first unit (from a electronics store) the second one came with a physical manual, not a memory stick. I am wondering if there is a build quality issue stemming from different production facilities.

Those with clouding/flashlight issues: did you get a physical manual or a memory stick?

Sad.
ILLCOMM's Avatar ILLCOMM 11:21 PM 05-13-2009
Serial numbers:

Good unit: AUM93CHSXXXXXX (came with USB stick manual)
Bad unit: AUM93CPSXXXXXX (came with physical manual)

Both are the exact same model number (LN52B750U1FXZA) and both were made in Mexico.

I wonder if CHS and CPS denote different factories or production runs. It seems Samsung only has one operation in Mexico: http://www.solunet-infomex.com/compa...any=631&type=1
JChin's Avatar JChin 11:29 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:

Yep, I have that feature. Mine is set as follows:

CONTROL is ON
CONTROL MONITOR is set to MONITOR 1
POWER OFF CONTROL is ON

There are two MONITOR OUT plugs. One is highlighted (colored in) and the other is blank. I switched the two, and put my TV set in the highlighted one (the one on the left as you look at the outputs in the manual) with my projector on the blank one.

Hurray! It now works! Thanks so much, JChin! Now I can return one of my HDMI splitters! By the way, how does it know which input I want? Is it the last one used?

Yes (sorry don't want to drail this thread)
asuman1179's Avatar asuman1179 11:38 PM 05-13-2009
Well order mine on Sun from Big River and should be in tomorrow. Had a call yesterday to set it up. I currently have a b650 from local store and worried about bad picture like illcomm. I wonder if that is why they are selling them for such a large discount after they just came out? I hope it comes with usb manual!
djcrazyeddy2's Avatar djcrazyeddy2 11:47 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbusby View Post

Cnet posted their calibration for the 52B750.
I put it over in the calibration thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16456863
I'm interested to hear how this may effect peoples problems with black levels.
My delivery was delayed. I'm seriously loosing it.

Thanks for sharing the link. I just tested these settings with National Treasure2 (scene15) and these settings certainly are an improvement over my current settings. I'd say blacks still remain black and there's still enough detail to distinguish textures on the walls, etc. I may just need to test scenes from other movies, but so far so good.....
monkey.magic3's Avatar monkey.magic3 05:07 AM 05-14-2009
any other feedbacks about the 46b750 and gaming? any lag at all?

Also once I purchased the TV, what tests should i run to find out if its a lemon or not lol?
bdsams's Avatar bdsams 06:14 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post

Hello cloudy days!

Just got my second B750. I purchased a second because I obtained it for many hundreds of dollars less than the first. The plan was to return unit 1 after getting unit 2. However, unlike the first one, this unit has serious issues as the picture shows:

I'll note that the cloudy backlight is absolutely distracting when watching content, especially during dark scenes. It's not a non-issue that can only be seen with blank screen.

This came from an online retailer and unlike my first unit (from a electronics store) the second one came with a physical manual, not a memory stick. I am wondering if there is a build quality issue stemming from different production facilities.

Those with clouding/flashlight issues: did you get a physical manual or a memory stick?

Sad.

Holy crap that is probably the worst clouding i have ever seen...not to mention a hard copy of the manual is quite odd...
Stryker412's Avatar Stryker412 06:33 AM 05-14-2009
What is the window of return for Amazon? I won't be able to set up my 52" for a few days until our room is painted.
iatacs19's Avatar iatacs19 06:37 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

What is the window of return for Amazon? I won't be able to set up my 52" for a few days until our room is painted.

30 days if purchased from Amazon and Amazon is the actual seller.
jjbies's Avatar jjbies 06:38 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey.magic3 View Post

any other feedbacks about the 46b750 and gaming? any lag at all?

Also once I purchased the TV, what tests should i run to find out if its a lemon or not lol?

I've had my 52" b750 for 2 weeks and have played a considerable amount of COD5 and NHL 09 and have noticed no lag. I do not use Game Mode because it played fine with it off, in my opinion. Game lag was a worry for me before buying this TV but the worrying was all for nothing. ALL of my 360 games look great on this set.
leverage7's Avatar leverage7 06:47 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post

Hello cloudy days!

Sad.

I got mine yesterday and it came with a memory stick. How did you take that picture? I tried to get an image of mine last night but wasn't sure the best way to capture it (it is a point and shoot, I am no photog).

Mine seems to suffer from some clouding although I'm not sure if it is enough to worry about. I also didn't own a previous A version so I can't compare the severity to that. Those who say they have little to no clouding, is that really possible? I can't really notice it while watching normally or bright scenes but it kind of bugs me when I put it to no input or a blank screen comes up. The funny thing is I hooked it up to my computer with an all black background and couldn't really notice it (or perhaps the room was too bright at that time). It also seems to be worse on a blank pc input over the blank cable box hdmi input (with the box turned off). Another thing is if I move left or right or up and down, the edges seem to lighten up or "bleed" more. I'm assuming this may be normal due to the angle I am looking at it.

I also checked my 3.5 yr old sharp 32d41u to make sure I wasn't crazy and it didn't seem to have any clouding or flashlighting.

Anyways, if I can get some help taking a good photo I would like to get some feedback if mine is really and issue or not. What is the process of exchanging with Big Fish? Do you call Samsung first and they have to send someone out to verify or will they do a straight up exchange?

Thanks so much,
Ben
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop