Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

This comparison makes no sense just as the members posting lag times that have no technical expertise or credentials to even know or understand what they are doing. I've yet to see a single one with any networking background that could understand how to measure data flow or the principles of networking and it would be good if they could go start their own OCD thread on game lag so we could actually get some feedback on PQ and features besides the obsession of a few with gaming lag - my three year Sharp has no Game lag whatsoever and so I do not understand this obsession of a few that muddy every single new panel with their personal obsessions when I've yet to see any of them have the credentials to support their argument or the tests they run as supported by anyone as being genuine and supported by technical evidence - because one can blog fluff doesn't mean you know jack about networking or data flow and timing sequences and how every point in the chain is impacted - please do present someone or anyone with the background to support the numbers they flaunt on this forum - these are usually YouTube freaks that have no networking training or expertise and it would be nice if you folks move Game Lag discussions over to the gaming threads. Or if you feel you have technical background to support them at least provide a profile of your background that tells us you may know what your doing. Your welcome to check my credentials - they are in my profile. Data flow is never a static event - it's constantly a dynamic event and measurement results you may observe.

I in no way claim to be an expert. I just saw that other users were asking for input lag numbers. Since I happen to have this TV, Rock Band 2, and the guitar that allows for automatic testing, I took some readings and posted them. I bought the TV without knowing the lag numbers, so you can tell that it doesn't actually concern me that much. I've been a long time on and off lurker around here and was trying to pitch in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeo View Post

I in no way claim to be an expert. I just saw that other users were asking for input lag numbers. Since I happen to have this TV, Rock Band 2, and the guitar that allows for automatic testing, I took some readings and posted them. I bought the TV without knowing the lag numbers, so you can tell that it doesn't actually concern me that much. I've been a long time on and off lurker around here and was trying to pitch in.

I just did the automatic test in Rockband 2. This is on the PS3. I use movie mode and got 96ms the first time and 94ms the second time (AMP off). I got 11ms on the audio from my receiver. So I tried it with these settings and it was a mess even on medium. I then set lag to zero and had no issue on medium. Didn't miss one note. I'm not sure how much stock I would put into Rockband 2's numbers. I appreciate you posting the info though, everything helps.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #93 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 PM

did some more testing last night, and i have found no lag issues with this set. I messed around with cod 5, gow 2, gta IV, and street fighter 2 turbo, I tried in game mode and in standard mode with the amp turned off and found no noticeable lag even when i was looking for it so I am with bpmurr this set passes the lag test, at least in my eyes it does, I am sure someone will find something to complain about but to me this set is perfect. And by the way I do know what lag is because I have a toshiba 1080p lcd and it was laggy as all hell. I am 100% happy with my purchase.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #94 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney80 View Post

did some more testing last night, and i have found no lag issues with this set. I messed around with cod 5, gow 2, gta IV, and street fighter 2 turbo, I tried in game mode and in standard mode with the amp turned off and found no noticeable lag even when i was looking for it so I am with bpmurr this set passes the lag test, at least in my eyes it does, I am sure someone will find something to complain about but to me this set is perfect. And by the way I do know what lag is because I have a toshiba 1080p lcd and it was laggy as all hell. I am 100% happy with my purchase.

Very glad to hear it. How big is your set and how far back have you chosen to sit?
post #95 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Has anyone tried the PC Mode hack on this tv to combat lag?

I have the old Sammy 5271, and if you plug into HDMI 1 and edit the name of HDMI1 to PC, it enables a special PC mode which cuts lag down from 40-50ms to less than 10ms. Works great on XBOX360 and Call of Duty, and rock band calibrated to 5ms video lag and 40-70 ms audio lag through an onkyo 606 in this mode.
post #96 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I have the old Sammy 5271, and if you plug into HDMI 1 and edit the name of HDMI1 to PC, it enables a special PC mode which cuts lag down from 40-50ms to less than 10ms. Works great on XBOX360 and Call of Duty, and rock band calibrated to 5ms video lag and 40-70 ms audio lag through an onkyo 606 in this mode.

The only issue I hear with that is that changing the name to PC eliminates a lot of the PQ settings, leaving you with a pretty washed out picture.
post #97 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Some people apparently don't appreciate you posting the rockband numbers but I do. It's something I can compare with my current setup without anything special so I appreciate it.

As to how accurate it is I don't know but it should be standardized to an extent that all sets will give the same amount of error allowing a comparrison to be made. I think it works a little better for my personal information as opposed to someone saying I do/don't notice any lag.
post #98 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Hope you understand they have nothing in common when it comes to their production - the specs may be identical but the guts and the assembly is made at totally different areas of the planet. A German panel is built at a totally different plant (most likely former eastern block) in another part of the world.
.....:

is this true ? the panel is made in different places ? i know the sets are assembled in different places for different markets, e.g. spain for much of europe for some manufacturers and say mexico for north america -- but i thought all the panels came from the same factories in japan or korea or taiwan...

do i have the correct interpretation of the terminology ?

thanks

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #99 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapDoctor View Post

Some people apparently don't appreciate you posting the rockband numbers but I do. It's something I can compare with my current setup without anything special so I appreciate it.

As to how accurate it is I don't know but it should be standardized to an extent that all sets will give the same amount of error allowing a comparrison to be made. I think it works a little better for my personal information as opposed to someone saying I do/don't notice any lag.

To each their own I guess....

All I know is that using the auto calibration made it harder to play.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #100 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I gave this a shot tonight, and I noticed that the picture washed out quite a bit, but the lag (as measured through the Rock Band 2 automatic test) didn't change from it just being put in Game mode. Because of the wash out, I had to move the guitar away from the screen a little more to get a reading.

I was getting some lower lag numbers tonight (in the low 30's), which puts the accuracy of the Rock Band test in question. I don't think that comes as a surprise to anyone.

Anyway, I've spent too much time holding the guitar up to the screen and not enough time just enjoying this TV.
post #101 of 7369 Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I gave this a shot tonight, and I noticed that the picture washed out quite a bit, but the lag (as measured through the Rock Band 2 automatic test) didn't change from it just being put in Game mode. Because of the wash out, I had to move the guitar away from the screen a little more to get a reading.

I was getting some lower lag numbers tonight (in the low 30's), which puts the accuracy of the Rock Band test in question. I don't think that comes as a surprise to anyone.

Anyway, I've spent too much time holding the guitar up to the screen and not enough time just enjoying this TV.

Thanks for the effort gabeo, it's appreciated. None of us need to be experts in networking to test hardware based input lag, but I guess I need some online certs to flaunt (meaningless) credentials to prove that Enjoy your new tv.
post #102 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM

Okay, last night I just received my new 52B750 which replaced my 52A850 which replaced my original 5271. Unfortunately, I did not take much time to experiment as I was engrossed in NBA playoffs all night, but here are my initial comments which will make some comparisons to the A850 since I know that several of you are in the same situation.

1) Aesthetics/Reflection - I really like the look of this unit. Mine sets recessed into the wall so the TOC does not really appear at all. The unit is piano black with dim gray lighting which does not detract at all from the viewing experience, even in darkness (unlike the blinding red beacon on previous models). The bezel does produce comparable reflection to other models as does the screen. However, while I can't be sure of it as I really wasn't focusing, the screen reflection does seem to be somewhat better than what I eperienced with my previous two models. The real test for me will be Saturday morning/afternoon when I can be home to watch the TV during the day with the two windows that are directly opposite the TV and behind my sitting area.

2) Connections - As some have noted, the connections are on the opposite side of where Samsung has placed them on other models recently (when facing the TV they are on the right rear, and right side). This is a non-factor for me, but others may need to accommodate such.

3) My settings - Nothing scientific and I haven't had time to callibrate, but I just did a quick setup as follows: Backlight=7, Contrast=100, Brightness=50, Sharpness=0, Color=50, Tint=50, Mode=Standard, Color Tone=Normal, Size=Screen Fit, HDMI Black Level=Low, Film Mode=Off, AMP=Clear, and Energy Saver=Off.

4) Clouding and Flashlighting - My unit has none whatsoever of either. To say that the backlighting is 100% perfectly uniform would not be completely accurate (I don't believe that any LCD of size is). However, I had to really stare at a blank screen (no input) in a pitch black room to notice just the slightest of variance on the screen (unlike my A850 which jumped out at me every single time I turned the channel or had a dark scene).

5) Picture Quality - Oh my goodness! This is by far the most beautiful PQ on any LCD that I have seen. The deepness of the blacks are increadible and the overall richness of color superceeds any of the other two models I have had. The viewing angles seem comparable to the A850, and the only thing that I seem to notice when you get greatly off axis is a hazing effect where the entire screen loses some of richness and color depth.

6) AMP - I didn't get much time to play with the custom setup, but what I can tell you is that the default setting (Standard) causes odd video noise around fast moving objects with fairly static backgrounds (e.g. a football player running with the crowd in the background). This bugged me alot, but setting AMP to "Clear" resolved the issue 100% in the few sample content types that I watched.

7) IR Interferance - This set exhibits 0 IR issues. I had grown so use to the pain of the A750, that it was like I put brand new batteries in my remote. All components were extremely responsive.

8) Remote - I like the remote much better that the A850. They got rid of the dial which seemed extremely laggy, and replaced it with buttons. Now, menu interaction with the TV is very responsive. Also, they added the picture size button back on the remote so you no longer have to go into menus to toggle throught the options.

9) Yahoo Widgets - Well, these are pretty cool, but I'm not sure how much I will use them. Upon initial load, it takes about 60 seconds before you can interact with them. I do like that you can adjust the screen so that you have a full picture w/o the Widget overlapping/blocking your view. I look forward to other Widget ideas that may come in the future.

10) Sound - I use my 5.1 system, but I did listen to the TV just to hear it. Sounded like it was using tin cans for speakers - hollow and not much bass.

11) DLNA Media - The TV found my ReadyNAS easily and displayed my photos. However, I did not try my MP3's and it would not play any of my DIVX encoded movies (manual states that it supports DIVX, so it may be a compatibility issue with my ReadyNAS). I don't really care, however, since I used my PS3 for this and prefer its interface to that of the TV.

12) Gaming - I did play a quick round of Tiger Woods just to see how it compared to my previous model TV's. I did not use game mode, and left all settings as stated above (AMP=Clear). I know that this is a limited game for observing response times, etc. but I did have known issues before. My main problems were extreme TBE and judder during ball flight and even rolling on the green. Throughout my round on the new B750, I did not observe a single instance of TBE or judder.

Anyway, these are just a few of my initial observations. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this model and think that I will finally be satisfied with my purchase. The overall richness of the picture this model produces is extremely good, and I can't get over just how extremely deep the blacks are. At this point, I've only watched HD broadcasts (Dish Network) and have not experiemented with BluRay content. I will be interested in exploring this with some known content where I was having issues. However, based upon what I have seen thus far, I expect nothing but the best from the B750.
post #103 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tantrum View Post

Okay, last night I just received my new 52B750 which replaced my 52A850 which replaced my original 5271. Unfortunately, I did not take much time to experiment as I was engrossed in NBA playoffs all night, but here are my initial comments which will make some comparisons to the A850 since I know that several of you are in the same situation.

1) Aesthetics/Reflection - I really like the look of this unit. Mine sets recessed into the wall so the TOC does not really appear at all. The unit is piano black with dim gray lighting which does not detract at all from the viewing experience, even in darkness (unlike the blinding red beacon on previous models). The bezel does produce comparable reflection to other models as does the screen. However, while I can't be sure of it as I really wasn't focusing, the screen reflection does seem to be somewhat better than what I eperienced with my previous two models. The real test for me will be Saturday morning/afternoon when I can be hope to watch the TV during the day with the two windows that are directly opposite the TV and behind my sitting area.

2) Connections - As some have noted, the connections are on the opposite side of where Samsung has placed them on other models recently (when facing the TV they are on the right rear, and right side). This is a non-factor for me, but others may need to accommodate such.

3) My settings - Nothing scientific and I haven't had time to callibrate, but I just did a quick setup as follows: Backlight=7, Contrast=100, Brightness=50, Sharpness=0, Color=50, Tint=50, Mode=Standard, Color Tone=Normal, Size=Screen Fit, HDMI Black Level=Low, Film Mode=Off, AMP=Clear, and Energy Saver=Off.

4) Clouding and Flashlighting - My unit has none whatsoever of either. To say that the backlighting is 100% perfectly uniform would not be completely accurate (I don't believe that any LCD of size is). However, I had to really stare at a blank screen (no input) in a pitch black room to notice just the slightest of variance on the screen (unlike my A850 which jumped out at me every single time I turned the channel or had a dark scene).

5) Picture Quality - Oh my goodness! This is by far the most beautiful PQ on any LCD that I have seen. The deepness of the blacks are increadible and the overall richness of color superceeds any of the other two models I have had. The viewing angles seem comparable to the A850, and the only thing that I seem to notice when you get greatly off axis is a hazing effect where the entire screen loses some of richness and color depth.

6) AMP - I didn't get much time to play with the custom setup, but what I can tell you is that the default setting (Standard) causes odd video noise around fast moving objects with fairly static backgrounds (e.g. a football player running with the crowd in the background). This bugged me alot, but setting AMP to "Clear" resolved the issue 100% in the few sample content types that I watched.

7) IR Interferance - This set exhibits 0 IR issues. I had grown so use to the pain of the A750, that it was like I put brand new batteries in my remote. All components were extremely responsive.

8) Remote - I like the remote much better that the A850. They got rid of the dial which seemed extremely laggy, and replaced it with buttons. Now, menu interaction with the TV is very responsive. Also, they added the picture size button back on the remote so you no longer have to go into menus to toggle throught the options.

9) Yahoo Widgets - Well, these are pretty cool, but I'm not sure how much I will use them. Upon initial load, it takes about 60 seconds before you can interact with them. I do like that you can adjust the screen so that you have a full picture w/o the Widget overlapping/blocking your view. I look forward to other Widget ideas that may come in the future.

10) Sound - I use my 5.1 system, but I did listen to the TV just to hear it. Sounded like it was using tin cans for speakers - hollow and not much bass.

11) DLNA Media - The TV found my ReadyNAS easily and displayed my photos. However, I did not try my MP3's and it would not play any of my DIVX encoded movies (manual states that it supports DIVX, so it may be a compatibility issue with my ReadyNAS). I don't really care, however, since I used my PS3 for this and prefer its interface to that of the TV.

12) Gaming - I did play a quick round of Tiger Woods just to see how it compared to my previous model TV's. I did not use game mode, and left all settings as stated above (AMP=Clear). I know that this is a limited game for observing response times, etc. but I did have known issues before. My main problems were extreme TBE and judder during ball flight and even rolling on the green. Throughout my round on the new B750, I did not observe a single instance of TBE or judder.

Anyway, these are just a few of my initial observations. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this model and think that I will finally be satisfied with my purchase. The overall richness of the picture this model produces is extremely good, and I can't get over just how extremely deep the blacks are. At this point, I've only watched HD broadcasts (Dish Network) and have not experiemented with BluRay content. I will be interested in exploring this with some known content where I was having issues. However, based upon what I have seen thus far, I expect nothing but the best from the B750.

Great observations. BB can not get to my house soon enough to swap out the B7100 for the B750! Can't Wait!
post #104 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Wonderful observations. It really does seem as though offering customizeable settings for AMP is getting rid of many of the issues surrounding 120hz technology in the past. I think this is about as good as motion enhancement technology will get.

Of course nothing is perfect. I have no doubt that you will find issues as time goes by, but it seems that the B750 series is by far the strongest motion-enhanced LCD on the market right now.

Don't make yourself insane looking for problems Tantrum, you have a uniform backlight, were able to fix any problems you found with ME, and have a beautiful picture. What more could you ask for?

All we need from you are the obligatory photos of the setup/some content
post #105 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM

Just got my B750 and trying to mount it to my current Wall Mount. Can anyone tell me what type of screw i need? Thanks,

ibis
post #106 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
If only this set wasn't so expensive. (seriously, LCD prices don't drop that fast, they keep coming up with new stuff to keep prices up every year) I can actually get a 58b550 Plasma for about $500 to $700 less than this LCD on average ($900 on Best Buy), which makes it hard to jump on one of these. (Why oh Why does Samsung have to royally mess up their lower tier LCD lines just to make the step up models look better in Comparison?)

Based on what I am reading, this is a very solid LCD, which is getting really hard to find these days, but that price is just a bit high for what you get. (especially when compared to plasma sets from the same TV makers)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #107 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

If only this set wasn't so expensive. (seriously, LCD prices don't drop that fast, they keep coming up with new stuff to keep prices up every year) I can actually get a 58b550 Plasma for about $500 to $700 less than this LCD on average ($900 on Best Buy), which makes it hard to jump on one of these. (Why oh Why does Samsung have to royally mess up their lower tier LCD lines just to make the step up models look better in Comparison?)

Based on what I am reading, this is a very solid LCD, which is getting really hard to find these days, but that price is just a bit high for what you get. (especially when compared to plasma sets from the same TV makers)

Go to ClevelandPlasma.com....best price I found!
post #108 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Aesthetics/Reflection - I really like the look of this unit. Mine sets recessed into the wall so the TOC does not really appear at all. The unit is piano black with dim gray lighting which does not detract at all from the viewing experience, even in darkness (unlike the blinding red beacon on previous models). The bezel does produce comparable reflection to other models as does the screen. However, while I can't be sure of it as I really wasn't focusing, the screen reflection does seem to be somewhat better than what I eperienced with my previous two models. The real test for me will be Saturday morning/afternoon when I can be hope to watch the TV during the day with the two windows that are directly opposite the TV and behind my sitting area.

Glad you like the set so far. I am loving mine and that is a hard thing for me to do. Normally I can always find something wrong with a TV but on this one I can't. Very impressive.

post #109 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Man, I hope this is true. I purchased the 52A850 and promptly returned it because of the IR issues which drove me crazy. I operate all my equipment via IR repeaters.

To those who are concerned about the price. WAIT! The price will come down below $2000 soon enough.

By all accounts, this TV seems to represent an excellent value.
post #110 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 AM

I am now officially a B 750 owner.
I should be getting a profesional install/calibration and I'll post up the settings they place on my panel once it arrives.
post #111 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 AM

i have to wait till freaking sunday to get my tv from BB....it cant come soon enough!
post #112 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbusby View Post

I am now officially a B 750 owner.
I should be getting a profesional install/calibration and I'll post up the settings they place on my panel once it arrives.

Just wanted to share the ridiculous pricing I got on my new home theater, it pays to know some people:

1 SAMSUNG/ LN52B750 52 LCD TV EA *******

Price talk is forbidden, but HOLY $#!T how did you get it for that price? I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could get it so low.

(Heck I would probably pay an Extra $500 over what you paid in a few heartbeats)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #113 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

i gave this a try using EyeConnect on my imac and i was able to get it to work with some divx. it's veeeeery specific on what formats it supports, right down to the resolution and audio codec.

here's a list

pulled from here: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0....hreadID=322838

post #114 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS49 View Post

Wonderful observations. It really does seem as though offering customizeable settings for AMP is getting rid of many of the issues surrounding 120hz technology in the past. I think this is about as good as motion enhancement technology will get.

Of course nothing is perfect. I have no doubt that you will find issues as time goes by, but it seems that the B750 series is by far the strongest motion-enhanced LCD on the market right now.

Don't make yourself insane looking for problems Tantrum, you have a uniform backlight, were able to fix any problems you found with ME, and have a beautiful picture. What more could you ask for?

All we need from you are the obligatory photos of the setup/some content

I will work on photos. I have nice camera gear, but have not taken pictures of TV before so I'll have to figure out how to best do so (lighting, reflections, etc.)

Regarding looking for problems, believe me when I say that I don't dwell on such. However, as with the past models I've had, when they slap you in the face consistently and repeatedly to the extent that you can't enjoy your viewing experience then there is a problem. With my 5271, AMP on or off caused varying consistant and repeated issues with PQ (especially sports which is one of the primary reasons I purchased that model based upon how they marketed AMP). With the A850, the IR interference rendering my satellite remote either useless or when it did work causing a 2-3 second lag on all functions made me want to throw it at the TV. I don't know about you, but I'm a channel surfer royale and this was killing me. Not to mention the slap-you-in-the-face flashlights and clouding my set had that manifested itself in dark scenes and in between changing channels even during daytime viewing when the room is well lit.

Basically, all I expect from any product that I purchase is for it to perform to the level that it was designed to and for it to meet any marketing claims that were made about it. I don't believe that the 5271 or the A850 did such. However, it appears to me that the B750 does. Obviously, I will want to get some viewing time under my belt on with this new TV, but at this time I could not be more pleased based upon my personal expectations with the quality, performance, and feature set of the B750. Also, I do want to complement Samsung support. Even though the process took over 3 months and I had to fight them along the way, in the end they came through for me. I would do business with them again, and I still prefer their LCD quality and styling to anything else that I have seen on the market today (not intended to evoke a response, just my opinion).

Again, this is just my perspective and others may have different experiences with the B750 (I'm sure there are thousands of satisfied 71 series and A850 series owners), so take it for what it is worth.
post #115 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly View Post

i gave this a try using EyeConnect on my imac and i was able to get it to work with some divx. it's veeeeery specific on what formats it supports, right down to the resolution and audio codec.

here's a list

pulled from here: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0....hreadID=322838

Actually, if you will reference p.52 of the English version of the manual, some additional file format information is noted (although I don't see where the resolutions are stated). AVI supports the following Video Decoders (Divx 3.11/4.x/5.1/6.0, XviD, MPEG 4 and some others). Also, I'm not blaming the TV as it may be a function of my ReadyNAS and I'm sure that it is very selective on its requirements. I had a very similar situation with my PS3 last month when a new firmware was released. All of a sudden I could not play any of my Divx or XviD content and had to wait for an upgraded firmware release for my ReadyNAS.

I guess my overall point, which you reemphasized, is that "yes" the set technically has the capability to play these kinds of content, but don't expect it to be 100% compatible with your existing media library which may or may not comply with the TV's requirements.
post #116 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Okay, last night I just received my new 52B750 which replaced my 52A850

4) Clouding and Flashlighting - My unit has none whatsoever of either.

5) Picture Quality - Oh my goodness! This is by far the most beautiful PQ on any LCD that I have seen. The deepness of the blacks are increadible and the overall richness of color superceeds any of the other two models I have had.
...setting AMP to "Clear" resolved the issue 100% in the few sample content types that I watched.

12) Gaming - I did play a quick round of Tiger Woods just to see how it compared to my previous model TV's. Throughout my round on the new B750, I did not observe a single instance of TBE or judder.

Excellent truthful review. After two years of thin panel Samsung designs, members can now equate super-thin LCD panel’s as offering inferior performance, yet at higher prices!

Once these come down in price another $400 they will be a great deal. From all aspects, they are worthy successors to last year’s 650 and 750 models. Tantrum confirms the motion resolution is superb. No doubt it has doubled from last year’s 500-600-700-800 series. (They probably match the top banana 950).
post #117 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Actually, if you will reference p.52 of the English version of the manual, some additional file format information is noted (although I don't see where the resolutions are stated). AVI supports the following Video Decoders (Divx 3.11/4.x/5.1/6.0, XviD, MPEG 4 and some others). Also, I'm not blaming the TV as it may be a function of my ReadyNAS and I'm sure that it is very selective on its requirements. I had a very similar situation with my PS3 last month when a new firmware was released. All of a sudden I could not play any of my Divx or XviD content and had to wait for an upgraded firmware release for my ReadyNAS.

I guess my overall point, which you reemphasized, is that "yes" the set technically has the capability to play these kinds of content, but don't expect it to be 100% compatible with your existing media library which may or may not comply with the TV's requirements.

agreed. i knew this table wasn't definitive (and honestly i haven't even looked at the manual ). i figured since i hadn't seen anything else this might help. it's good to know they added more support.

still, even though it says xvid support it does seem spotty as some of my xvids don't work. while this is a great feature it wasn't a selling point for me. the more i messed around with it the more i feel that if you're serious about this an HTPC is really the only way to go. the interface for the DNLA stuff is just atrocious IMO. either way, i'm glad samsung is trying.

i also hope you have more luck with photos than i did. i had a horrible time trying to get decent results showing BRD in a reasonably dark room with wide contrast scenes. i was only able to get one shot i was reaonably happy that showed what i was trying to get across. even so the blacks on this set have to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

post #118 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbusby View Post

Just wanted to share the ridiculous pricing I got on my new home theater, it pays to know some people:

1 SAMSUNG/ LN52B750 52 LCD TV EA $X,XXX.XX

I'm a LN52A750 owner and I'm curious about the B750s. First how did you manage this price? Is it because of a package deal? Also I love the A750 and have no real issue other than I have two flashlights at the left and right top corners which are a bit annoying in letterboxed movies at times and all of the time in dark near black scenes. So I wouldn't mind replacing my near perfect A750 with a flashlightless improved B750 if the price came down a bit more.
post #119 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Got my set delivered this morning and finally got it mounted and running. WOW!!!! I'm so glad I returned the B7100 for the B750. I am using the same calibration settings as the B7100 and i could immediately notice an improvement. Blacks on the 7100 almost seemed artificial (if that makes sense). They did not feel life like. Blacks on the 750 have so much more detail and depth compared to the crushed blacks on the 7100. Also off angle viewing is excellent and no flashlighting. Im 1000% happier! I'm looking forward to enjoying the NBA Playoffs tonight at 8pm.
post #120 of 7369 Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post

Got my set delivered this morning and finally got it mounted and running. WOW!!!! I'm so glad I returned the B7100 for the B750. I am using the same calibration settings as the B7100 and i could immediately notice an improvement. Blacks on the 7100 almost seemed artificial (if that makes sense). They did not feel life like. Blacks on the 750 have so much more detail and depth compared to the crushed blacks on the 7100. Also off angle viewing is excellent and no flashlighting. Im 1000% happier! I'm looking forward to enjoying the NBA Playoffs tonight at 8pm.

I know what you mean about the picture. Something about it makes it look more "rich" then the Luxia line.

I wonder if Samsung has a different production method for these panels. It seems like everyone is getting very uniform screens so far.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page