Official Samsung LNxxB750 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get my Replacement 52B750 sometime tomorrow morning. I do not have a way of getting those test images onto by tomorrow though and Samsung instructed me to test everything I wanted before the technicians left so they don't have to come back and replace my TV again. What is a good way to do this?

I've been able to test clouding pretty effectively by taking a black screen image with my DSLR set on a slow shutter speed. It seems to "bleed" the cloudy spots out of hiding if you cannot see them in the daylight. Is there anything else I can do to test it while the techies are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

I'm glad everyone likes their sets so far. Normally we would have one bad apple so far. Probably me given my past history but so far so good!

Oh and don't worry. I will probably be right behind you.

-j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

I just played a couple rounds for Street Fighter 4 and it didn't feel any different to me then playing on the 52B650, 111FD, or 55B7100. I had AMP off.

On another note. I just turned off all the lights and checked the screen.

No flashlights or noticeable clouding. If I turn the back light all the way to 10 I still can't really make anything out. Trust me I have a proven history on here of being picky and I can't find anything.

Now I'll say right now the black borders on movies don't blend in, heck the 111FD wasn't 100% black. However, the picture still looks fantastic in the dark and the borders are a very dark shade of grey. It seems to be on par with the 55B7100 just without the uniformity issues.

How do the black levels compare with the A650 you had?

Are the black levels "good enough"? In other words, would you spend more money on an LED local dimming like an A950 for example?
post #183 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS49 View Post

Can you owners comment on the performance of the HDMI connection over your cable box?

Also list your service and type of box. I did have some instances of handshaking on my 46B550 with my Scientific Atalanta DVR from Time Warner, but I power cycled the box and it never came back.

Hopefully no flickering...

I have a SA 8300HDC DVR box on Comcast service connected to the B750 with HDMI. The HD picture is amazing (and Hockey if freaking incredible to watch) but I do get a good amount of "flickering" (the screen looks like it's moving up or down a couple of pixels; is that what it's called officially?). It does this with both the HD and SD channels, as well as when I'm just looking at the DVR menus (or a paused picture).

I've swapped HDMI cables and ports on the TV, but that didn't help at all. I know it has to be the box. I don't see this action when watching movies and, as you can imagine, I've checked that out repeatedly.

It's not noticeable most of the time, but all the hockey games have a static bar near the top of the screen that is makes this really noticeable during games. I'm not worried about it right now since I've leaving the area in a couple of months and leaving Comcast behind, too.
post #184 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSameGuy View Post

I have a SA 8300HDC DVR box on Comcast service connected to the B750 with HDMI. The HD picture is amazing (and Hockey if freaking incredible to watch) but I do get a good amount of "flickering" (the screen looks like it's moving up or down a couple of pixels; is that what it's called officially?). It does this with both the HD and SD channels, as well as when I'm just looking at the DVR menus (or a paused picture).

I've swapped HDMI cables and ports on the TV, but that didn't help at all. I know it has to be the box. I don't see this action when watching movies and, as you can imagine, I've checked that out repeatedly.

It's not noticeable most of the time, but all the hockey games have a static bar near the top of the screen that is makes this really noticeable during games. I'm not worried about it right now since I've leaving the area in a couple of months and leaving Comcast behind, too.

The flickering I experienced was in scenes with mesh, or windows in a building, panning shots over trees...you would literally see them flicker black to white.

Also, ghosting is VERY bad on my 46B550. I mean there are literally two of everyone. Any instance of this on the B750?
post #185 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Heya, I've got a UN55B6000 and at this point am ready to return it and get either this b750 or a b650. I went back to the store today just to see if it was my set. The 6000 and 7000 sets they had on display both had some impressive flashlighting going on in the lower corners - just like mine. Mine has some clouding as well, which is mostly only noticeable on dark scenes when the room is dark. It is noticeable enough to be annoying tho. Anyway, unfortunately, the same store didn't have a b650 or b750 set up in a place dark enough for me to really see if I noticed a difference. I guess my question for you b750 owners is.. what made you chose this set over the b650? One thing I do like about my 6000 is the 55" screen. I would prefer to keep a 55in screen size, but if the PQ on the 52" b750 is noticeable enough to justify dropping 3" from the b650 - well I suppose I'm willing to do that. We do play a good amount of xbox 360 and wii as well.. not sure if that makes a difference or not, but figured I'd throw that in the mix.

Thanks for your input!
post #186 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM

The more I read about this tv, the more I want one. I've got to get out to see one for myself. From what I gather, these are performing as well or better than the Luxia sets.
post #187 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM

I agree. The TV is amazing!
post #188 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSameGuy View Post

My 52A650 did this with my 8300HD from time to time. It was pretty random and usually turning the TV and the box off and back on fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

How do the black levels compare with the A650 you had?

Are the black levels "good enough"? In other words, would you spend more money on an LED local dimming like an A950 for example?

They are better then my A650 for sure. Not quite as good as the Kuro 111FD I had but not that far off.. Very impressive for a CCFL backlight LCD set. I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a LED local dimming LCD. This set looks fantastic in a dark or lighted room.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #189 of 7369 Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorenhagen View Post

Does this TV have any issues with IR interference like the A850?

Thanks.

Did you have a reply from anyone regarding this? I have a LN46B750 and a Dish VIP-622 DVR. I think the TV gives out some IR interference as well. I notice the effective angle I can point my remote to control my DVR lessens when this TV is ON. Now it has to be almost direct point-to-point. If not commands to the DVR are not responsive at times. It's OK when I turn OFF my TV, even when my DVR remote is not pointed directly to the DVR (around +/- 15 deg) and a glass-top coffee table is between where I sit and the DVR, the control is very responsive (like the same setup when I used my old CRT TV.) The time when the TV is ON doesn't matter, even after 1 hour or so, the effective angle to control the DVR is still degraded.

I used the default remote control that came with my DVR and a Harmony One remote, but the same behavior.

Does anyone think here the VIP-622 DVR needs an update as well? Is there a newer Dish DVR?
post #190 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 AM

hi guys
i am new to this great site.i should receive my B750 next week,bought it from Chris from Clevland Plasma,great to deal with.wondering if anyone could post there calibration settings.i am not a gamer so just hdtv and movies
thanks
al
post #191 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 AM

I posted this in the wrong thread, so I am posting it again here:

Can anybody explain to me the manufacturing numbers for these sets? Obviously I know the first part, LNB52750, but what about the ending (for example, U1FXZA)?

Do we know yet if there are particular codes on the end of the numbers that we should try to stay away from (i.e. perhaps the panel is bad or the plant is not good or something like that)?

Futureshop does a good job of posting the full number: LN52B750U1FXZA
post #192 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 06:56 AM

My friend finally let me unbox his new LN52B750 last night so I can check the black level and uniformity against my LN40A750. He bought it a few weeks ago then went on a trip then Fry's was giving him the run-a-around on a price adjustment when I pointed out that it was on sale this week for $2065 vs $24XX that he originally paid. I had high hopes for the B750 considering the already impressive A750 but, unfortunately, I have to report that the black level and uniformity ranges from noticeably worse at a more level viewing angle to signficantly worse off-angle even after tweaking back light and brightness. If I were to buy another set today I would probably find a deal on the previous generation LN52A750 (maybe $16XX) or wait for newer models.
post #193 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi7chy View Post

My friend finally let me unbox his new LN52B750 last night so I can check the black level and uniformity against my LN40A750. He bought it a few weeks ago then went on a trip then Fry's was giving him the run-a-around on a price adjustment when I pointed out that it was on sale this week for $2065 vs $24XX that he originally paid. I had high hopes for the B750 considering the already impressive A750 but, unfortunately, I have to report that the black level and uniformity ranges from noticeably worse at a more level viewing angle to signficantly worse off-angle even after tweaking back light and brightness. If I were to buy another set today I would probably find a deal on the previous generation LN52A750 (maybe $16XX) or wait for newer models.

Did you have them side by side? What content did you test with?
post #194 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the actual "feature" benefits of the B compared to last years A. I had gathered that the newer set had improved on clouding/flashlight/non uniformity issues over last years set.

I would go for the B for better QC, but the 240Hz isn't that big of a deal to me. Isn't the contrast supposed to be better too? I am really curious because I am relatively numb to new display excitement but I saw a 52B750 in Brandsmart and I'll admit even I could not walk away from it. It's the first set I've seen since the Sharp D62 series that stopped in my tracks and made me realize these things are getting better.

What a display. I am lusting after one of these, and I can't stand the shiny screens so it has to bee "that" good for me to overlook the glare.

Will the 52A750 wow me the same?

I Like Digital!
post #195 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does the B750 have the same menu system as the luxia series, including separate controls for blur and judder reduction? Thanks.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #196 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Does the B750 have the same menu system as the luxia series, including separate controls for blur and judder reduction? Thanks.

Yes on the separate controls for blur and judder reduction
post #197 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Yes it does once you set the AMP to Custom.

What? It's not free! Forget about it!
post #198 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Surprising as I had intially settled with my wife to get either an A750 or A850 due to the cost difference, then we compared both @ Frys & BB against a B750. With the store lighting and in the Magnolia darkened room @ BB the B750 just blew away the A750 w/o the flashlighting and clouding (more common on A850; probably due to the thinner chasis) that the A series would consistently reproduce on Bluray content (Fifth Element) and DVD (Eagles Live). I agree that the black level was not that much better (definitely improved) but it definitely was not worse. The preset AMP/Color settings are horrible for these sets out of the box.

I was running my B750 against Dark Night Bluray las night and was really disappointed with the preset AMP/Color settings but after messing with all the different settings got a very good quality picture without a professional calibration. I really need to run the DVE or Avia discs against this set with night time and daytime settings to be able to take advantage of it's true potential. I wish there were more custom settings that can be saved.

One thing I will say is that I really respect the qualtiy of the old RP CRT HDTV we had. As old as it is; still had the best black levels and uniformity along with picture quality compared to any LCD/Plasma/Projector I've demo'd/used.

post #199 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpass View Post

hi guys
i am new to this great site.i should receive my B750 next week,bought it from Chris from Clevland Plasma,great to deal with.wondering if anyone could post there calibration settings.i am not a gamer so just hdtv and movies
thanks
al

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142352

post #200 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Can you describe the issues with black level uniformity in more detail? Are you taking about clouds and flashlights or just it getting washed out as you watch from an angle. What backlight setting where you using? I'm surprised to read this given the success the owners have had so far in the area of uniformity. If I know anything there are always a few bad apple sets out there.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #201 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 AM

LN52B750 pics below along with my initial impressions..

First thing's first (sorry the first few shots are horrible): Had an LN52A650 to start out with that suffered from clouding issues (and a blown pixel not evident in the image):

Original Panel:

Called my retailer up and they took care of me. Had the local Samsung service reps replace the panel...

Replacement Panel:

On0ez! Fail. At least there were no blown pixels! So I contacted the service rep directly (since I got their email from our last communication) They took care of everything even more efficiently than going through my retailer. The guy knew exactly what I was talking about, unfortunately, my 3RD panel didn't correct the problem:

REPLACEMENT Replacement Panel:

Naturally I was frustrated. When you spend over 2 grand (at the time) on a brand new TV, you selfishly expect (near) perfection, So I contacted the service people again...this time to no response. I got a little worried. Over a month went by and no contact, so I politely resent my email that stated in a nicely worded round about way that the TV itself was garbage and throwing new panels in it is just going to waste their money and time. A few days later, I get a call from Samsung directly saying I will be getting a new LN52B750 as a full replacement for my set. I got it this morning. These pictures are taken with Out of the Box settings:

First the black screen test:

I was sweating this one. I made sure to take this before the delivery guys left (not this ONE but this type). I do not fully trust this image yet because some of the real clouding issues with my old A650 appeared over time. Out of the box though, I am pleased.

Again, these are standard OotB settings and any oddities in the image are reflections off my windows. I wave a ton of them. Dark Knight Test:

The image is a little dark for my taste and I have acute color blindness so I feel a need to tweak the settings a bit but they will probably look off to most people. the exposure of the shot is pretty representative of the image on the screen

Cityscape:

Again, a little dark but these are preset. (I turned 240hz off though)

The same cityscape from an off viewing angle to show pq loss (or lack thereof):

So (very brief) initial impressions:

What struck me right off the bat was the off center viewing angle is MUCH improved over my A650. I noticed virtually none at near 180 degrees. Very pleased with this. I think this Set in general (with the right settings - which it does not have out of the box) will be stunning. a vast improvement over my old set.

I wasn't a fan of the 120Hz mode on the A650 and I'm not a fan of the 240Hz mode on the b750. I will probably use it for CGI movies only. I do not have a cable source hooked up at the moment so I cannot comment on the 240Hz mode with regular TV. I don't like it for movies or games but this is subjective. If you liked it before, chances are you will like the more detailed settings with the 240Hz and being able to adjust the judder and such.

I'm not going to comment on the PQ that much since it is still in OotB standard preset. I will say these settings are pretty harsh as far as contrast and grain go. Movie mode helps but it is so muddy and dark. It would need a heavy tuning to get looking good (but again, I'm color blind - mostly blues and purples but some oranges and yellows too. I seem to see secondary colors more dominantly than primary colors) So my opinion may be null and void.

I fired up the Killzone2 demo because I was anxious to check out any lag issues...unfortunately, even with game mode on there is noticeable lag. ONE thing the A650 did better (technically) was virtually eliminate lag with game mode. the picture was very bright and contrasty and overly sharp though so it wasn't as pretty. The B750 game mode LOOKS a lot nicer but i think at the expense of the gamer. there is still noticeable lag (at least with my test source KZ2 demo). I will try Halo 3 and Fallout 3 (games I am more comfortable playing) after I have messed around with settings to see if maybe I am just doing it wrong!

I really really hope I am doing something wrong because I am a gamer and my genres are fps and racing games which require precision movement and input feedback. If I cannot find a way around this lag issue I will be super bummed lol.. :/

I don't have a cable to hook the tv up to the net right now so i cannot comment on any of the Internet features. There seems to be some good feedback on it though.

Overall, it sounds pretty negative but honestly I am loving this tv and cant wait to dig into it. I have not gotten around to messing with the set yet but I wanted to get some pictures up here because people have been asking for them. I will take any requests if you have them (provided I can accommodate).

-j.
post #202 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 12:31 PM

gwai1o, what kind of connection were you using to your consoles and are they displaying in the tvs native resolution? Does using VGA or HDMI in PC mode or some of the other tricks on these boards help the lag situation. I am looking to buy in the next week or two and the one thing keeping me from being confident about the B750 is the gaming lag. Any more information about this from your experience or anyone else with one of these sets would be great.
post #203 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senraeth View Post

gwai1o, what kind of connection were you using to your consoles and are they displaying in the tvs native resolution? Does using VGA or HDMI in PC mode or some of the other tricks on these boards help the lag situation. I am looking to buy in the next week or two and the one thing keeping me from being confident about the B750 is the gaming lag. Any more information about this from your experience or anyone else with one of these sets would be great.

man, i dont know about the gaming lag. it seems worse on this tv but i hate to say that because the tv seems pretty spectacular otherwise. i just input bpmurr's settings in and it improved the picture for movies quite a bit (but i had to crank the backlight because its daytime and i dont have a very dark environment right now. on my old a650 the PC mode HELPED game lag but it was still there. you could not alter many settings in PC mode (on the a650) though and i didn't like the picture at all so i was forced to use game mode which virtually eliminated it but the picture was pretty abrasive and there were NO picture options in game mode so i had to turn energy saver on to remedy it. i found a pretty happy medium doing this.

I have not done anything with the B750 yet. I am going to test it out right now and report back. I will test my 360 with Halo 3 (HDMI to receiver to tv, so I know i am experiencing more lag than if hooking directly to the tv but i dont have a long enough chord to do this.

All of my connections are HDMI to an Onkyo sr 606 then HDMI from the onkyo to the TV (HDMI 1/DVI).

Should I be connecting to an HDMI ONLY connect on the tv?

I will experiment.
post #204 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM

gwai1o, thanks for posting the pictures. I could try to describe how my friend's LN52B750 looks like but the pictures really help. Using the TV's built in menus/functions or a laptop via PC input to display a black screen:

1) Out of the box default settings look like the first picture.
2) Slight off-angle view, TV on the floor still in the bottom box while sitting on the sofa, it gets brighter like a cross between picture 1 and 2.
3) Even with backlight and brightness turned down near zero the best we could get was picture 3.
4) My LN40A750 is like the good replacement set.

Now, to find out what the difference is with gwai1o's good set, if it's the LCD panel and/or the backlight mechanism, who manufactures it and distinguishing it by serial #, model code, version, etc. Congrats, the replacement looks great!
post #205 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Killzone 2 must just be a heavy game. either that or the ps3's wireless remote lag coupled with the tv lag is creating double lag lol! I had the sensitivity up all the way and I did not feel accurate with my shots.

I flipped game mode on and fired up Halo3. It plays like imitation butter. Pretty damn accurate. There is THEE slightest hint of lag but i am ultra sensitive. I'm sure i can get used to it. the game mode on the B750 looks great especially in comparison to the a650. i dont feel the overpowering urge to run around and fiddle with settings. looks and plays great. again if you are ultra sensitive to lag you MAY notice but i tend to be really sensitive to this sort of thing. additionally i am not directly hooked up to the tv. i go through a receiver so i no doubt encounter lag do to this so if you connect directly to the tv you should be even better off than i am. i will continue to mess around and post anything noteable but i think you will be ok with this tv but FYI im not telling you it is lag free so dont blame me if you dont like it
post #206 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM

So I have had my 46B750 for about a week now and really the only thing that I can complain about is on a totally black screen, I see some slight clouding. But I know that all LCD's have a little of that unless it is the locally dimmed LED models. All in all, I am still pleased with this set.
post #207 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Hey mi7chy, thats weird that you say that about the 52b750 because i went to frys today and they had b750 and an a750 almost next to eachother and i can clearly see the differences. The b750 had better blacks and better picture quality overall. The b750 (52) is on sale right now too. If i had the money i would buy the b750.
post #208 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 PM

I just got my first ever LCD TV Thursday from Cleveland plasma.. I'm just wondering if bpmurr and a few others can post some pics of a black screen. I wanna have something to compare mine to. Also can any tell me if they think mine looks bad.

thanks
post #209 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 PM

I made a bracket for in wall mounting. I sedn you all pictures soon.

What size bolts do I need? where does it say in manual?

and what spacing do I drill on my bracket to match hole widths?

thanks

Mike
post #210 of 7369 Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question about off angle viewing. When people sit off angle, they don't sit 1/2 foot away. Is the extreme PQ as bad as that from say 9-10 feet back? Pretty much anything can be distorted looking from 1/2 foot away.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page