Official Samsung UNxxB8000 Series Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 752 Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by videodogg View Post

I bought the Un55B8000 from Best Buy three days ago. Yeah, i paid full retail plus the warranty. Not cheap. But i could not stand the thought of buying something like this over the internet.
I am very happy with the set. The quality of the HD blew me away. Initially i was put off by that super clear "soap opera" look, but now i am intrigued by watching movies in a new light, so to say. I have tweeked the calibration settings using suggestions from this forum, and its been helpfull, but i also found them to rather subjective. Its a contant adjustment battle depending on the content you are viewing.
Yes, i can see the flashlight effect, but only during fade outs or transitions between menues and such, never during actual viewing.
No, i have not seen any uneven , dark or light, corners.
I really have not noticed any motion blur.
I do have to use game mode, and even turn off the 240 hz mode for video games. I do wish there was a easier way to do this without having to go into the menu everytime i switch between gaming and movie watching.
This is the first LCD televison i have owned. Up till now i was never satisfied with the technology. But the quality of the color and and super HD performance really won me over.

You have just help support my decision to also purchase the 8000.

Thanks

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
JimShaw is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 752 Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Chris396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

Tomorrow I will be ordering the 55" 8000. It is a little scary: to pay that much for a TV and ordering it over the internet.

If it wasn't such a damn great PQ, I would not be doing this.

Going to order through Cleveland Plasma. From everything I have read about them, they seem to be a trusted source.

I got mine though 6th Avenue for a great price and had no problems at all. I was nervous too.
Chris396 is offline  
post #93 of 752 Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris396 View Post

I got mine though 6th Avenue for a great price and had no problems at all. I was nervous too.




.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
JimShaw is online now  
post #94 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
8000 owners---I have been considering getting the 8000 and I have viewing the set for sometime before making my decision but a couple days ago I was at Frys and watched both the 6000 and the 7000 and noticed dark spots in all four coners of the sets when the screen went to white. This was the first time I have ever noticed any of the problems mentioned on this forum regarding the new LED series.

Fry's did not have a 8000. So, I got into my car, drove 20 miles to BB to watch an 8000. There it was, the dark spots. I was told it is called "reverse flashlights"

Is this something that you have seen on your screen? If so, were you able to get it fixed?

I need to know before I purchase.

Please help.


Thanks

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
JimShaw is online now  
post #95 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
Freak557's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a UN46B8000. Maybe its just me but every time I am watching a mostly dark scene, the TV gets darker and sometimes to a point where you can barely see what's on the screen. I know this a dimming issue but I'm pissed!

Granted the tv is beautiful but that one thing bothers my eyes. I called Samsung and they're having an authorized service center come out.

Well they were supposed to come out yesterday (10 June 2009) but I got a call saying "we cannot come out today due to a part on backorder". Apparently Samsung is replacing the main board in my tv because of the dimming problem (doesn't make sense at all).

Disclaimer: This is my first HDTV (previous was a huge RCA home theather TV 37" and weighed 300lbs...ha!). I am new to "flashing", "flashlighting", clouds, halos, etc...

I'll keep you posted on my issue. They are scheduled to come out on 19 June 2009.
Freak557 is offline  
post #96 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
karos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
can someone speak o the visual differences between the 8000 and the b750. I know the 8000 uses LEDS and is thinner but how do the pictures compare?
karos is offline  
post #97 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
jenseike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post

Dude, stop lying. That is a B6000. You just Photoshopped the pics to make the 6 look like an 8!

What is your problem?.. This is 110% for sure a B8000.. have you not seen it before since you make a statement like that .. Why would anybody brag about a tv?????

A tv?

Jens
jenseike is offline  
post #98 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Member
 
stevenkha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't find any calibration settings for this tv yet. I have done a search and came up with nothing. Has no one had this unit professionally calibrated yet?
stevenkha is offline  
post #99 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karos View Post

can someone speak o the visual differences between the 8000 and the b750. I know the 8000 uses LEDS and is thinner but how do the pictures compare?

The b750 is better in some ways. the b8000 is better in others. Over all i would say the B750 has better PQ but the largest set is 52" The b8000 comes in a 55"
Vermifuge is offline  
post #100 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike View Post

What is your problem?.. This is 110% for sure a B8000.. have you not seen it before since you make a statement like that .. Why would anybody brag about a tv?????

A tv?

Jens

I know he is obviously blowing smoke. It's a B8000 for sure
Vermifuge is offline  
post #101 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
karos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does the 8000 have the same lag and color issues as the 750 described here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1142352&page=3 post 83
karos is offline  
post #102 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Newbie
 
b335i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

8000 owners---I have been considering getting the 8000 and I have viewing the set for sometime before making my decision but a couple days ago I was at Frys and watched both the 6000 and the 7000 and noticed dark spots in all four coners of the sets when the screen went to white. This was the first time I have ever noticed any of the problems mentioned on this forum regarding the new LED series.

Fry's did not have a 8000. So, I got into my car, drove 20 miles to BB to watch an 8000. There it was, the dark spots. I was told it is called "reverse flashlights"

Is this something that you have seen on your screen? If so, were you able to get it fixed?

I need to know before I purchase.

Please help.


Thanks

Do you feel like this has changed your mind about purchasing the 8000 series? Is it that bad?
b335i is offline  
post #103 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
5150Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karos View Post

does the 8000 have the same lag and color issues as the 750 described here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1142352&page=3 post 83

There's no lag or color issues. What that guy in the post you linked was describing is a method to change the source name to PC so that the TV shuts off all processing and lets the PC handle it. This gives reduced input lag (on all recent Samsungs).
5150Joker is offline  
post #104 of 752 Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
5150Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 View Post

Sure thing man. I thought these forums were meant to talk to fellow owners and help potential owners out with advise, not some bashers forum. I swear this site is full of haters.

Why doesn't everyone stick to the topics and stop the bashing or shut up!


You're not talking to "fellow owners". What you are doing is experimenting with TV sets and then abusing BB's return policy to go try out another TV and create yet another thread. Oh and no as a consumer you do not have a right to exchange a product over and over because as others have pointed out, it damages retailers which in turn leads to policy changes that affect all of us. Get a life dude...
5150Joker is offline  
post #105 of 752 Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Newbie
 
Freak557's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sooooooooo...nobody wants to talk about their 8000 or 81000?
Freak557 is offline  
post #106 of 752 Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Newbie
 
Freak557's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ha! I meant 8100
Freak557 is offline  
post #107 of 752 Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
sofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I bought a 55B8000. It definitely has flashlighting/clouding in each corner of the set. It is most noticable on lightly colored material, but it's there nonetheless. I got it at hhgregg and called them immediately and was told they will take care of it, one way or the other.

Other than the above issue, the set looks really, really good. I'll try swapping it out for another one, and go from there.
sofer is offline  
post #108 of 752 Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak557 View Post

Ha! I meant 8100

I don't belive there is a B8100 pnly a b8000.

The B7000 is the Red ToC and the B7100 is the gray ToC. The thing is the B8000 has a chrome finish with a brushed metal stand There is no alternate version that i have seen of the b8000.
Vermifuge is offline  
post #109 of 752 Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofer View Post

Today I bought a 55B8000. It definitely has flashlighting/clouding in each corner of the set. It is most noticable on lightly colored material, but it's there nonetheless. I got it at hhgregg and called them immediately and was told they will take care of it, one way or the other.

Other than the above issue, the set looks really, really good. I'll try swapping it out for another one, and go from there.

I have has my B8000 a few days now. I won't deny the existence of a flashlight effect in the corners but it hasn't bothered me. I did a little calibration. Set the black levels and left the auto dimming alone. the end result is a very beautiful TV image
Vermifuge is offline  
post #110 of 752 Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Member
 
stevenkha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I made a calibration thread for this unit if anyone has a calibrated unit. I am sure everyone would appreciate it. Here is the link :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155798
stevenkha is offline  
post #111 of 752 Old 06-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Newbie
 
Red 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videodogg View Post

I do have to use game mode, and even turn off the 240 hz mode for video games..

Hi:

I want to buy this Full HD but I only want it for Video Games, nothing else, EVER (heehehee). How is the Quality of this TV for you?
Why don't you use the 240Hz feature?
Is the Quality SO ugly while playing Video Games? I want to play Uncharted 2 and God of War III in this Full HD.
Sorry for everyone else, but I can't PM people yet.
Red 5 is offline  
post #112 of 752 Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post

Hi:

I want to buy this Full HD but I only want it for Video Games, nothing else, EVER (heehehee). How is the Quality of this TV for you?
Why don't you use the 240Hz feature?
Is the Quality SO ugly while playing Video Games? I want to play Uncharted 2 and God of War III in this Full HD.
Sorry for everyone else, but I can't PM people yet.

I have my b8000 hooked up to my PS3 and games look amazing. The image is great and gameplay is responsive.
Vermifuge is offline  
post #113 of 752 Old 06-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Member
 
bunyun316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, after 3 different exchanges, UN55B7100 first for dark corners and light flash lighting, second UN55B7100 sever clouding and bad panel, and lastly the "new UNB558000" which I had hoped would have issues corrected - still light flash lighting after TV warms up for a few hours, some uniformity issues, and dark corners, I am leaving this series alone.
I am taking one more gamble and have an LN55A950 on order for replacement. Does anyone know anything about these TV's? I have seen lots of good reviews, and the only thing I came across was the bad boards that were corrected last October. If all else fails, I think I am going to bank my $4500.
bunyun316 is offline  
post #114 of 752 Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Newbie
 
Red 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermifuge View Post

I have my b8000 hooked up to my PS3 and games look amazing. The image is great and gameplay is responsive.

Hi:

That's good news. May I know your settings? Are you using 240Hz Frame Rate and other Stuff from this Full HD?
What about RGB Full and limited? Do you have Uncharted: Drake's Fortune or maybe Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Killzone 2?
If you play Online.... How is the Lagging?
Red 5 is offline  
post #115 of 752 Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post

Hi:

That's good news. May I know your settings? Are you using 240Hz Frame Rate and other Stuff from this Full HD?
What about RGB Full and limited? Do you have Uncharted: Drake's Fortune or maybe Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Killzone 2?
If you play Online.... How is the Lagging?

OK as I am sure you know settings can vary widely between input devices and the environment. I did the first calibration off of my PS3 using various types of calibration images. For my TV (AT&T Uverse) i use the following Settings on my Samsung UN55B8000.

Standard Mode
Contrast = 64
Brightness = 49
Sharpness = 45
Color = 40*

Advance Settings
Black Tone = Dark
Dynamic Contrast = Medium
Gama = 0
Flesh Tone = 0*
Auto Motion = Smooth ** +

On my Apple TV I use Movie mode set to Warm 2. I like the richness it brings to a lot of my older movies. A lot of the classics like Star Wars, Ghost busters, Indiana Jones look great in this mode.

On My PS3 i tend to leave t in Standard mode with the same settings. If i am playing an action mode i will set it over to Game mode.

* These settings are in flux. Shows like NCIS tent to have too much red in them and i like to back it down a bit. but this can wash out other shows. Although this is a minor problem i haven't honed in on a setting i am 100% happy with yet.

** Automotion is really up to the viewer. some people like more or less or to go in and tweak to a custom level. I am happy with smooth others will not.

+ My understanding is that in game mode this will bypass the automotion processing. This should allow you to game without any lag. though i did not see enough lag to be a problem in my opinion. So i tent to leave my PS3 in Standard mode.

I have Uncharted and GT5 but i do not have Gears 2
Vermifuge is offline  
post #116 of 752 Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to add a picture of my setup. I am pretty happy with things i just need to decide on a sound system now.


LL
Vermifuge is offline  
post #117 of 752 Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Newbie
 
Red 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermifuge View Post

..On My PS3 i tend to leave t in Standard mode with the same settings. If i am playing an action mode i will set it over to Game mode.
** Automotion is really up to the viewer. some people like more or less or to go in and tweak to a custom level. I am happy with smooth others will not.

+ My understanding is that in game mode this will bypass the automotion processing. This should allow you to game without any lag. though i did not see enough lag to be a problem in my opinion. So i tent to leave my PS3 in Standard mode.

I have Uncharted and GT5 but i do not have Gears 2

Hi:

Thanks a LOT, Man.
Well, there is something I don't understand. What do you mean by "PS3 in Standard Mode"? It means the Setting of your Full HD while using your PLAYSTATION 3? Again, Thanks .
Red 5 is offline  
post #118 of 752 Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Newbie
 
fobouspod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I'm thinking about picking up this tv in September (For my birthday). Is this a good idea? I don't want to buy it and have the 9000 come out a month later Also, what is this flashlighting you guys are talking about? Sorry for the noobie question! The picture quality is insane.

Also, what do you guys think of LED in general? Is it the future?

Thanks for any help, and I'd love to see more impressions!

Thanks!
fobouspod is offline  
post #119 of 752 Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post

Hi:

Thanks a LOT, Man.
Well, there is something I don't understand. What do you mean by "PS3 in Standard Mode"? It means the Setting of your Full HD while using your PLAYSTATION 3? Again, Thanks .

The settings for my PS3 are identical to the settings posted on IGN and the optimal output settings. When I set my TV to the correct HDMI port I have the TV set to use "standard mode" I hope that clears things up. When i game i set the TV to "game" mode assuming it's a fast paced game.

Aslo backlight is set to 8
Vermifuge is offline  
post #120 of 752 Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Vermifuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobouspod View Post

Hey all,

I'm thinking about picking up this tv in September (For my birthday). Is this a good idea? I don't want to buy it and have the 9000 come out a month later Also, what is this flashlighting you guys are talking about? Sorry for the noobie question! The picture quality is insane.

Also, what do you guys think of LED in general? Is it the future?

Thanks for any help, and I'd love to see more impressions!

Thanks!

If you can wait you might want to hold out for the B9000. If anything the 8000 should see a pice drop.
Vermifuge is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46b8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off