Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 328 Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveandrew View Post

So can we get a consensus on the best settings for HD digital cable viewing and blu ray? Going through this thread is immense. Maybe a mod or OP could provide in the first post some links to the preferred settings. Just a thought..

THe problem, if you go through this post, is that everybody has different settings. It's mostly a matter of preferences. The recurring setup though are using MOVIE Warm 2 and disabling all advanced functionnality (Dynamic Contrast, Automotion, etc)

I, for one, use Movie Warm 1 and Automotion Custom (7,2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 328 Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Anybody knows what is the difference between MOVIE/STANDARD DIMMING and CONTRAST DIMMING in the CE DIMMING service menu?
post #303 of 328 Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbang View Post

Anybody knows what is the difference between MOVIE/STANDARD DIMMING and CONTRAST DIMMING in the CE DIMMING service menu?

Contast Dimming is a setting that does not remain on when you exit the service menu and enter the user menu. It's useless for this reason.

The Dimming in Movie setting is for auto-dimming in Movie.

The Dimming in Standard setting is for auto-dimming in Standard (and Dynamic/Natural).
post #304 of 328 Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 PM

I tried to watch in Movie mode, but I missed the deep blacks caused by the dimming. So I enabled the Dimming in the SM. In the end I didn't like the color temperature and the dull image. So I switched again to Standard mode.
post #305 of 328 Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM

I just got a 55B650 store display model. Everything looked fine until I decided to check the hours in the service menu and hit "HDMI Calibrate" by mistake. After that the screen looked very dark on 1-3 HDMI ports (have not tried other ports)

I used the checkboard pattern at 1080 (I believe) and used zoom feature on my up-converting hdmi dvd player to reset the brightness of the TV, but the TV now looks way too bright (grey).

What is the best way to restore it the way it was?
1. Is there a list of menu items that I could adjust one by one? If not, is there a chance someone could post that list (screen shot(s))?
2. is there a software/firmware update for this set that would recalibrate the set and reset service menu back to what it should be?
3. are these settings input specific? If so, can they be copied from one input to another? It looks like all HDMI settings got messed up when I accessed "HDMI Calibrate", but did other inputs change as well (I have not tested other inputs)? If the other inputs haven't changed, I guess I could just copy Component Video settings to HDMI somehow?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
post #306 of 328 Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM2 View Post
I just got a 55B650 store display model. Everything looked fine until I decided to check the hours in the service menu and hit "HDMI Calibrate" by mistake. After that the screen looked very dark on 1-3 HDMI ports (have not tried other ports)

I used the checkboard pattern at 1080 (I believe) and used zoom feature on my up-converting hdmi dvd player to reset the brightness of the TV, but the TV now looks way too bright (grey).

What is the best way to restore it the way it was?
1. Is there a list of menu items that I could adjust one by one? If not, is there a chance someone could post that list (screen shot(s))?
2. is there a software/firmware update for this set that would recalibrate the set and reset service menu back to what it should be?
3. are these settings input specific? If so, can they be copied from one input to another? It looks like all HDMI settings got messed up when I accessed "HDMI Calibrate", but did other inputs change as well (I have not tested other inputs)? If the other inputs haven't changed, I guess I could just copy Component Video settings to HDMI somehow?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
The pattern you need is a 720p chess pattern, 7 squares wide by 6 squares tall. The top left square is black. See the attachment which is from the service manual for the 32" B650.

And you probably already realized this but... don't do anything you don't understand in the service menu as you can do real harm which is not always reversible, at least without getting your TV serviced by Samsung out of warranty (warranty gets voided if you mess up anything in the service menu & there is a service log that should be cleared after doing anything in the service menu). There are many posts in the main thread for this TV about tips for service menu access, clearing the service log, and what not to do.

The most common mistake is not realizing the left and right arrows act as enter keys and modify values for a given parameter. Menu is the back button and up and down are the only true (up/down) selection keys. Source cycles through all active sources.

1.zip 82.7216796875k . file
post #307 of 328 Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

The pattern you need is a 720p chess pattern, 7 squares wide by 6 squares tall. The top left square is black. See the attachment which is from the service manual for the 32" B650.

And you probably already realized this but... don't do anything you don't understand in the service menu as you can do real harm which is not always reversible, at least without getting your TV serviced by Samsung out of warranty (warranty gets voided if you mess up anything in the service menu & there is a service log that should be cleared after doing anything in the service menu). There are many posts in the main thread for this TV about tips for service menu access, clearing the service log, and what not to do.

The most common mistake is not realizing the left and right arrows act as enter keys and modify values for a given parameter. Menu is the back button and up and down are the only true (up/down) selection keys. Source cycles through all active sources.

What do you mean by Source cycles through all active sources?

I only had "Failure" for HDMI calibration, while the other 3 had success. Does that mean that only video sent via HDMI is messed up, while if other sources are used the picture should be fine?

Also, does the 720p chess pattern need to cover the whole screen? If so, what's the best way to do it? The patterns I tried never covered the whole screen and the only way to make them do so was to use the zoom feature on my up-converting dvd player, but then the picture would get cut off at the edges. I don't have PS3, I only have an upconverting DVD player (Samsung 1080p), which I believe can not output 720, but only 1080 and I have a bd player (samsung 1500), which I didn't use because it failed to read cd-r with pictures on it. May be it'd work with dvd, I need to check on supported formats.
If I need a device that up-converts 720p, please let me know. I may have another up-converting player (rca) where I believe could specify the resolution. I didn't try it yet (no remote )
If I need to send 720p signal, is there a deice you'd recommend? I could just go to best buy and pick one up.

Will everything be the way it was after I ran this pattern or will it be very close, but not exactly what it was? yestarday I hocked up an antena to antena input and compared the pic quality to the same channel of HDMI\\cable box input. The difference was hardly noticeable and I can't even say which one was better. Does that mean that my setting for hdmi are almost fixed or does it mean that my setting for antena input are messed up as well? Again, the only "Failure" I had was for HDMI input, not for the other 3. Also, can I compare video in PIP mode or do I have to cycle through sources to do that?

Thanks!
post #308 of 328 Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean by Source cycles through all active sources?

I only had "Failure" for HDMI calibration, while the other 3 had success. Does that mean that only video sent via HDMI is messed up, while if other sources are used the picture should be fine?

Also, does the 720p chess pattern need to cover the whole screen? If so, what's the best way to do it? The patterns I tried never covered the whole screen and the only way to make them do so was to use the zoom feature on my up-converting dvd player, but then the picture would get cut off at the edges. I don't have PS3, I only have an upconverting DVD player (Samsung 1080p), which I believe can not output 720, but only 1080 and I have a bd player (samsung 1500), which I didn't use because it failed to read cd-r with pictures on it. May be it'd work with dvd, I need to check on supported formats.
If I need a device that up-converts 720p, please let me know. I may have another up-converting player (rca) where I believe could specify the resolution. I didn't try it yet (no remote )
If I need to send 720p signal, is there a deice you'd recommend? I could just go to best buy and pick one up.

Will everything be the way it was after I ran this pattern or will it be very close, but not exactly what it was? yestarday I hocked up an antena to antena input and compared the pic quality to the same channel of HDMI\\cable box input. The difference was hardly noticeable and I can't even say which one was better. Does that mean that my setting for hdmi are almost fixed or does it mean that my setting for antena input are messed up as well? Again, the only "Failure" I had was for HDMI input, not for the other 3. Also, can I compare video in PIP mode or do I have to cycle through sources to do that?

Thanks!

The source button simply cycles through the active inputs (i.e. the TV inputs you have devices connected to).

Yes, you only need to recalibrate HDMI, the other connections should still show Success next to them (AV, Component, PC). I believe the pattern must be 16:9 aspect ratio (squares cannot be rectangles) but the 7 by 6 square dimensions suggest there might be black bars to the left and right of the pattern (not really sure though, so check the attached file from the service menu from my above post). 720p seems to important.

Don't worry about any non-HDMI inputs. You only need to fix what you messed up.

Good luck.
post #309 of 328 Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:

The source button simply cycles through the active inputs (i.e. the TV inputs you have devices connected to).

Yes, you only need to recalibrate HDMI, the other connections should still show Success next to them (AV, Component, PC). I believe the pattern must be 16:9 aspect ratio (squares cannot be rectangles) but the 7 by 6 square dimensions suggest there might be black bars to the left and right of the pattern (not really sure though, so check the attached file from the service menu from my above post). 720p seems to important.

Don't worry about any non-HDMI inputs. You only need to fix what you messed up.

Good luck.

So, is it ok with black bars on the sides? I can use zoom feature on my player, which will keep squares shape (they will not become rectangles), but parts of the squares will be off the screen.

I'm just not sure what's important - to keep all 42 squares fully visible and have back bars or to not have black bars, but have parts of outer squares off the screen.

Also, can I assume that after I do this the settings will be exactly what they were before I messed them up or will they become very close but won't be exactly what they were.

Thanks again!
post #310 of 328 Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, is it ok with black bars on the sides? I can use zoom feature on my player, which will keep squares shape (they will not become rectangles), but parts of the squares will be off the screen.

I'm just not sure what's important - to keep all 42 squares fully visible and have back bars or to not have black bars, but have parts of outer squares off the screen.

Also, can I assume that after I do this the settings will be exactly what they were before I messed them up or will they become very close but won't be exactly what they were.

Thanks again!

Don't use zoom and keep bars on left and right to avoid making the squares rectangles. I believe all squares must be preserved and also cannot be stretched into rectangles.

How good the end result is depends on how close your recalibration process is to the one done in the factory. I cannot be sure it will work, but it doesn't hurt to try at this point.
post #311 of 328 Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Does someone have settings for standard definition mode?

Thanks
post #312 of 328 Old 06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I almost feel like when the auto 120mhz runs better after the tv warms up a little....?

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #313 of 328 Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Don't use zoom and keep bars on left and right to avoid making the squares rectangles. I believe all squares must be preserved and also cannot be stretched into rectangles.

How good the end result is depends on how close your recalibration process is to the one done in the factory. I cannot be sure it will work, but it doesn't hurt to try at this point.

Ok, I need some help. I finally got to my RCA up-converting player, which supports 720p output. No matter which setting I choose, I can not get squares, unless I pick zoom2. However, zoom2 makes the image larger then the screen area. I attached a few pictures where you can see player settings, the incoming resolution and the all possible screen sizes. Please advise.

P.S. I know I should not have anything on display other then the chessboard when I do calibration (resolution, p.size, pause, etc) . I'll take care of that once I get the issues with the image squared away. Thanks!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #314 of 328 Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I need some help. I finally got to my RCA up-converting player, which supports 720p output. No matter which setting I choose, I can not get squares, unless I pick zoom2. However, zoom2 makes the image larger then the screen area. I attached a few pictures where you can see player settings, the incoming resolution and the all possible screen sizes. Please advise.

P.S. I know I should not have anything on display other then the chessboard when I do calibration (resolution, p.size, pause, etc) . I'll take care of that once I get the issues with the image squared away. Thanks!

In the service menu (at least for HDMI), 16:9 is the only P.Size you can use (i.e. fixed and cannot be changed). Simply output the 7 wide by 6 tall chessboard pattern at 720p without any zoom or stretching features applied at the DVD player.
post #315 of 328 Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

In the service menu (at least for HDMI), 16:9 is the only P.Size you can use (i.e. fixed and cannot be changed). Simply output the 7 wide by 6 tall chessboard pattern at 720p without any zoom or stretching features applied at the DVD player.

do you have that image by chance? The one I downloaded (link below) is already stretched and the only way to get it to display squares was to use zoom2 (didn't try when in sm).

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...erboardyb7.jpg
post #316 of 328 Old 06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

do you have that image by chance? The one I downloaded (link below) is already stretched and the only way to get it to display squares was to use zoom2 (didn't try when in sm).

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...erboardyb7.jpg

Sorry, I don't. However, you could try asking for a pattern like that in the calibration forum or in this thread.
post #317 of 328 Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I don't. However, you could try asking for a pattern like that in the calibration forum or in this thread.

Would it be enough to just copy these settings? I found these on another thread and also on another set (also 55b650) I had access to.

Is that something I should do instead of using the chessboard pattern or the two are not related and I still need to use the chessboard pattern to get things right?

Thanks.
LL
LL
post #318 of 328 Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would it be enough to just copy these settings? I found these on another thread and also on another set (also 55b650) I had access to.

Is that something I should do instead of using the chessboard pattern or the two are not related and I still need to use the chessboard pattern to get things right?

Thanks.

No, you have to fix what you messed up with the correct test pattern. Copying settings from another TV will not do this and could cause new problems.
post #319 of 328 Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:

No, you have to fix what you messed up with the correct test pattern. Copying settings from another TV will not do this and could cause new problems.

I used checkboard pattern a while ago, when I messed it up, but not the right one and I used zoom on my upconverting dvd player to cover the whole screen. It cut the picture off at the edges, but the tv became usable again, although not as good as it was and I switched to component video.

I just tried the settings from the picture I attached in my earlier post and it seems to work. Now I can't really tell the difference between component and HDMI.

What else is there that gets messed up by a calibration misstep? I have access to the same set and I can copy the rest of the settings if I need to. I didn't look at other settings, not sure what else is there, afraid to touch this thing now, plus it seems to work.. . but if there's something else that got messed up and can easily be fixed, I'd like to know about it.
Thanks!!
post #320 of 328 Old 07-03-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I used checkboard pattern a while ago, when I messed it up, but not the right one and I used zoom on my upconverting dvd player to cover the whole screen. It cut the picture off at the edges, but the tv became usable again, although not as good as it was and I switched to component video.

I just tried the settings from the picture I attached in my earlier post and it seems to work. Now I can't really tell the difference between component and HDMI.

What else is there that gets messed up by a calibration misstep? I have access to the same set and I can copy the rest of the settings if I need to. I didn't look at other settings, not sure what else is there, afraid to touch this thing now, plus it seems to work.. . but if there's something else that got messed up and can easily be fixed, I'd like to know about it.
Thanks!!
I believe the only thing that the HDMI Calibration Failure affects is the ADC Result. On my TV, the ADC Result screen is different between component and HDMI.

1.pdf 134.060546875k . file
post #321 of 328 Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I believe the only thing that the HDMI Calibration Failure affects is the ADC Result. On my TV, the ADC Result screen is different between component and HDMI.

It is different between inputs. Your HDMI settings are the 3rd ones I see and they are exactly the same as the other 2 I've seen. Maybe HDMI settings are the same for all B650 sets?

Your component settings are exactly the same as mine, but they are different then the ones I've seen on another set (picture posted online). I'll need to check out component settings on another 55b650.

What size is your set?
post #322 of 328 Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is different between inputs. Your HDMI settings are the 3rd ones I see and they are exactly the same as the other 2 I've seen. Maybe HDMI settings are the same for all B650 sets?

Your component settings are exactly the same as mine, but they are different then the ones I've seen on another set (picture posted online). I'll need to check out component settings on another 55b650.

What size is your set?

32" with AA01 panel version
post #323 of 328 Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
some of you will say you good settings for plasma 50b650 with white balance and Colourspace: Custom
post #324 of 328 Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM

@PlasmaPZ80U
I have the same device as yours, so your settings can be good for it...
But, I am little confused with many different tables you sent...
Can you, please, post your all final settings in one table (and say if to set it in service menu or outside)...
Thanks
post #325 of 328 Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

post #326 of 328 Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM

hi, i need factory picture settings for my samsung LE40B651 lcd tv. (full advanced and picture settings)...thank you
post #327 of 328 Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM

Liked: 11
LOL "but I suppose there is not too much difference between panels and sizes."

Believe me there are differences even withis the same size smile.gif There must be a panel lottery thread somewhere smile.gif

But in the end I was extremely satisfied with this TV. Very bright and punchy picture with good black level and (in my special case) very even screen uniformity.

But I had to move on from my 40 inch "small" B650 to bigger sizes and toward 3D.

The only possibility to get a even backlight (almost impossible in times of LED) and to get even deeper black I had to move to Plasma. This year's plasmas are finally bright enougt for me so now I have a great punchy colored and to a certain degree bright Panasonic 50 STW50

My next Samsung will probably be a OLED model. I don't trust this LED EDGE lit TVs these days.

And the picture quality of the LCD/LED TVs seems not to have made any improvements since the great B series cool.gif (mybe a bit more punchy colors which you have to adjust to a lower level to get the picture more natural biggrin.gif )

P *a *n *a *s *o *n *i *c ** S *T *W *5 *0
post #328 of 328 Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 AM

Hi guys.

I have a problem with my tv, a 32B651, specifically this model: LE32B651T3WXXC, AA01. Back in the day I tinkered with the service menu and lost the configuration. All in all, I managed to leave things more o less as they were, except for the "SHARPNESS" values.

These values are under the "ADVANCED" submenu, accesible pressing "0-0-0-0" on the remote. If someone here had a TV like mine (or equivalent LNXXB650) and could take a snapshot of the sharpness values for HDMI and VGA input (you can cycle inputs inside service menu by pressing "INPUT" on the remote), it would be a blessing.

Even if it's not exactly the same panel, it'll be a good starting point to adjust my panel. Now all values are zeroed and the picture it's just not right.

Thanks in advance.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln55b650 , Samsung Pn50b650 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Ln22b650 22 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln19b650 19 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln40b650 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Ln46b650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page