Neither (please specify in thread) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I need some advice. I think I'm just about ready to finally bite the bullet. I'm looking at the LG 42LH40 and Toshiba 42ZV650U.

They're both the same price at the local Best Buy, but unfortunately neither is on display there. The TV will be used primarily for gaming on an X360 and the room it will be in is usually dim or dark, so black levels are important to me.

Please help me out here, guys! I've held off on buying a TV for over a YEAR because I'm so afraid of getting "the wrong one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm in the same boat, but The Best Buy by me (LOL) has them both on display. The Toshiba had a great picture, but It wasn't hooked up to the same source so I couldn't compare as well as I liked. I like the finish on the LG and the picture was excellent. It was as good as the Samsung LED TV next to it. So if anyone has had a chance to compare by the same source I'd also like to hear.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM

I just came from my bb,and they did have the lh40 in 47 and 42 hooked up.I was impressed with both,especially the 47" next to the samsung 7000 led in 55" .That LG was holding its own for alot less.These new lg's are nice!
post #4 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know it's hard to tell on a showroom floor, but how were the black levels?
post #5 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

OK, slight hitch. I've been using a 27" SDTV with S-Video for a long while now and while the Toshiba has an S-Video input, the LG does not. People here seem in favor of the LG, but is it so much better that it's worth giving up S-video? I guess I could always just leave my S-Video devices on the old TV, which is going to go live in my bedroom.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM

I have the 42lh40, nice tv-did similar custom settings to the 42lg70 and it looks awesome. sd as usual with almost every lcd i've seen is pretty soft.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
KVW

I voted for the LH40 but you can save yourself some money and get the LH30 which is just as good and it will have slightly less lag too.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

BestBuy doesn't seem to have the LH40, even for delivery right now. Anyone else think I should go for the LH30? I found one locally.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Some reviews I found said the LH30 doesn't have very deep black levels. That's really important to me. Can anyone attest to this? Anyone know how the Toshiba is with black levels, too? It seems to have some kind of dynamic lighting dealie.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterMobster View Post

Some reviews I found said the LH30 doesn't have very deep black levels. That's really important to me. Can anyone attest to this? Anyone know how the Toshiba is with black levels, too? It seems to have some kind of dynamic lighting dealie.

The black levels between the lh30 and lh40 are not different. I don't know of this particular toshiba's black levels but the lh30 & 40 black levels are OK. They do not compete against some of the upper teir 09 VPA panels like Samsung. Regardless, I think overall the LH30 & 40 make up for it with their overall PQ, lag and price.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, KVW. I'm still undecided but I'm starting to lean toward the Toshiba for some of its features. Just need to take some measurements to make sure that's really an option. :/
post #12 of 22 Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 PM

I work at a best buy and I have just purchased the Toshiba 42ZV650U. I had to specail order it and I have actually never seen the tv, but i've seen the 47 and 55" versions and that was enough to sell me. I've been waiting for the new models to all come out so I could compare. I love the Toshiba and I'm pretty impressed with the black levels. Better then any of the lcd's around it. Not quite as good as the 7000 series LED, but the difference isn't worth a thousand dollars to me either. The Toshiba is an LED back lit tv and I love the USB feature and don't mind the SD card slot either. The picture is amazing from all I've seen. Haven't seen the blu-ray yet :/. I'll have the tv on Wednesday though.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just ordered the toshiba through costco online.. Super price, I couldn't resist!! Looking forward to it's arrival! It has all of the picture tweaks, 240hz, 14-bit video w/a good de-interlacer, plus it can simulate up-conversion on everything plugged into it.. You cannot go wrong with the Toshiba.. It is totally HOT right now!
post #14 of 22 Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterMobster View Post

Some reviews I found said the LH30 doesn't have very deep black levels. That's really important to me. Can anyone attest to this? Anyone know how the Toshiba is with black levels, too? It seems to have some kind of dynamic lighting dealie.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

I have heard this too but haven't heard any real peoples views..I voted for the LG because I am not a big fan of this toshiba..Would be nice to hear about the LG
post #15 of 22 Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM

KVW did some pretty extensive testing of that unit, if you do a search for the LG LH30 you'll find some great info on that model which is essentially the LH40 minus 120hz.

Do not disassemble, No.5 ALIVE!!!
post #16 of 22 Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanR24 View Post

I work at a best buy and I have just purchased the Toshiba 42ZV650U. I had to specail order it and I have actually never seen the tv, but i've seen the 47 and 55" versions and that was enough to sell me. I've been waiting for the new models to all come out so I could compare. I love the Toshiba and I'm pretty impressed with the black levels. Better then any of the lcd's around it. Not quite as good as the 7000 series LED, but the difference isn't worth a thousand dollars to me either. The Toshiba is an LED back lit tv and I love the USB feature and don't mind the SD card slot either. The picture is amazing from all I've seen. Haven't seen the blu-ray yet :/. I'll have the tv on Wednesday though.

That model is not an LED backlit lcd.

It also isn't 240 hrtz, or at least not true 240 hrtz. Black levels aren't so great, but than again neither is the lg. The toshibas do have nice gamma and color out of the box though. Id probably choose the LG all things considered.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanR24 View Post

It is a ccfl balcklight. If you work at best buy you are misinforming your customers

The SV series Toshibas coming out are LED.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 PM

On Amazon it does say somthing about the Toshiba having led back lighting, unless its a typo. And isnt an 8ms response time bad? Thats what the Toshiba REGZA 42ZV650Uboasts, but i suppose with 240Hz it doesnt matter? Ive seen 6 and 5 on other sets and the LG 42LH40 has 120Hz at 2.7 response time.

i dont know if this matters but, ive been told the contrast ratio varies from company to company as they all have there own scale, so technically doesnt matter even though i still like to see big numbers..

The Toshiba has a 100,000:1 rate and the LG which i was also looking into buying has a 70,000:1 ratio.

1000000:1 240Hz at 8ms? Or 70000:1 120Hz at 2.7ms?

Ive found nice prices for both and am now at a loss my self as this will be my first personal buy in the HD LCD market. I was leaning toward the LG, the sleek design and reviews ive read make it sound appealing aside form a few reviews that talk about some lag in intense moments, until I saw this there was no competition i was fixed on LG but Toshiba may take the sweep.. I hope you find the set your looking for lobster
post #19 of 22 Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Just got home with the LG LH40 42" and there were some problems. There is audio lag with our Dish Network Satellite. The mouths movement and what you actually hear are off. I was at HHGregg and read this on a review from someone else that had Directv but everything else I had read was so good that I was hoping for the best.

There is only a digital optical audio out, nothing else. I purchased it along with the Bose Cinemate and the Bose only has stereo cables, so it is a no go.

Picture is great but the audio problems make this a no go. I'm taking it back along with the Bose Cinemate and getting a Sony KDL-40Z4100/S and checking out some of the new sound bars
post #20 of 22 Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 AM

allow me to put in a write in vote for Hitachi Alpha 42 inch 1080p and the Hitachi Ultravision 42 inch 120hz 1080p.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM

i have the 47lh30 and i love it its not 120hz but i cant tell the diffence from some 120 vs 60hz.but i will say the toshiba has a better contrast ratio.go with the LG
post #22 of 22 Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman288 View Post

Just got home with the LG LH40 42" and there were some problems. There is audio lag with our Dish Network Satellite. The mouths movement and what you actually hear are off. I was at HHGregg and read this on a review from someone else that had Directv but everything else I had read was so good that I was hoping for the best.

There is only a digital optical audio out, nothing else. I purchased it along with the Bose Cinemate and the Bose only has stereo cables, so it is a no go.

Picture is great but the audio problems make this a no go. I'm taking it back along with the Bose Cinemate and getting a Sony KDL-40Z4100/S and checking out some of the new sound bars

I have the same audio lag with my LH40 but I also had it on another TV with my Bell satellite receiver (same as Dishnet). The older TV is now with another receiver using HDMI also and has no audio lag, so my guess it's the receiver causing the problem.

Your Dish receiver should have stereo cables to connect to your Bose.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page