[HELP] *** Sony (KDL40Z4100S) VS Toshiba (42ZV650U) VS Sharp (LC42D85) *** [HELP] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know they are not the same size and such... But I am planning to pick up either one probably later on today. Just wondering which one would be a better deal for myself. I watch mostly computer RMVB(Real Media) files, normal DVDs and seldom play the PS3.

I am looking to replace my Samsung LN-S2641D in my room with a larger TV. Which one would you guys recommend?

Sony (KDL40Z4100S) = 1299.99 CDN *Seems like a good price

Toshiba (42ZV650U) = 1699.99 CDN *Many good reviews, but its only 8ms

OR

Sharp (LC42D85) = 1449.99 CDN *Initially looked at this, but saw many members saying sharp is not doing great anymore

Please help me choose one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The Sony is a 2008 model which had some issues when it was first introduced, but those seem to have been addressed making it a very desirable LCD. The Toshiba is a new model with great initial reviews but an unproven track record so far. Because of the Sharp's many "issues," I personally would steer clear of it.

That being said, since all you want is our opinion, I'd go with the Sony. Ultimately, however, it's your money and your choice. Good luck in your decision.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Would I be foolish to buy a 2008 model though? And is 8ms not good enough, since sharp has a 4ms screen already?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by makasu View Post

Would I be foolish to buy a 2008 model though? And is 8ms not good enough, since sharp has a 4ms screen already?

Have you actually spent some time looking at any or all of them in a store? You asked for our advice and those of us who read this forum on a daily basis try to give honest opinions to those who are receptive to them. If you already have your mind made up on the Sharp, then go for it and don't overanalyze your decision. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets a good one.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by makasu View Post

And is 8ms not good enough, since sharp has a 4ms screen already?

Response time (like contrast ratios) between brands may not be measured in the same way and may not be meaningful for comparison.
Toshiba has a strange way of stating the 8ms response time when they even list it at all.
I forget exactly how it is worded, but something like "Under 8ms." As though they stopped playing that game.

Judge by what your eyes see, not specifications.

I don't have any experience with the Sharp.
The Sony and Toshiba are both nice TV's and that is fairly good price for the Sony. The 42" Toshiba is USD $1299 MSRP.

Your main considerations boil down to the 2008 Sony having a matte screen (less contrast) while the 2009 Toshiba screen is gloss.
The Sony has a great TV Guide On Screen program guide and a couple picture in picture modes, not on the Toshiba.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

If you already have your mind made up on the Sharp, then go for it and don't overanalyze your decision. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets a good one.

Well I really don't want to spend that chunk of money to get a chance to be a lucky purchaser. I mean I do understand that most people do have their own personal preference on the TVs and some people are brand biased. But I believe that many members' decisions are much more wise than mine.

It seems that value is maybe what I am looking for, and more people have been leaning towards the Sony for the better price?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Went to buy the TV at Futureshop and they said that the 1299.99 Sony Z Series was a pricing mistake that has been fixed.

I guess im out of luck...

In the other hand BB is offering me the Samsung A650 in 46" for 2000.00 with the 4 year service plan.

What do you guys think?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 PM

I own the 42 inch Toshiba set, and out of all the TV's I have gone through exchanging and returning, I have finally found a keeper. This is a very good set, be aware though it has a glossy screen. As for the ms, Toshiba does not seem to give out the their true ms rating on their sets, this might be a 2 ms rating based on the sticker on the TV, I could be wrong though.

Put it is def lower than 8, I play fast paced FPS games and watch some heavy fast moving action movies (Blu - ray) and have not seen the slightest blur (unless the effect is intentional.) Great TV for the money, though the A650 is a great set as well based on reviews and what I have read on it....it's a 08 model though I am not sure if 2k is a good deal, i think the B650 is even cheaper at that size...I could be wrong though.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-eclipse View Post

As for the ms, Toshiba does not seem to give out the their true ms rating on their sets, this might be a 2 ms rating based on the sticker on the TV, I could be wrong though.

The sticker on the TV is 2M (million) Pixel Resolution, not response time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page