post #361 of 483 Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiaK View Post

Does anyone have input lag numbers (and possibly photos) for the new (LxxU22) Panny models?

I'm looking to finally replace my olde tyme Westy 37W1; which I use as a primary PC Monitor, and I was looking at an IPS panel set for low input latency. (I haven't played competitive FPS games since I had my 22" CRT, a.k.a. "The Herniamaker," but I may return someday.)

Since it appears that LG now isn't always using IPS panels in their sets, I was leaning towards a Panny instead. My buddy got a 32" S1 and loves it, but I'd prefer to stay with a 37.

The L37U22 seemed pretty attractive to me (as was mentioned here and other places, provantage.com has a nice deal on them) but I wasn't sure if the guts were fundamentally the same as the S1 series or not.

its pretty highly likely to be the same panel, in the 32 & 37" sizes for the past 2-3 years panasonic has used nothing but IPS-Alpha panels in them even in the 720p versions and i've seen most of the 2008/9 models tested for input lag and not once has one ever had much of any input lag

Panasonic also says that they are IPS-Alpha panels on their website so you should be pretty safe buying one, if you can go to a store you can do the tap test to see if it really is, just put up a black screen on it and tap/press on the screen, if you see almost no change (just the area you press on changes) then its IPS. if you 2-4" diameter halo of light around where you press its *VA

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

Quote:

IPS Panel
A beautiful image from almost any angle

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 483 Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

Quick question for those who use this set as a monitor. Do you get any backlight flickering during 1080p playback on youtube?

I watched this video in 1080p, but experienced a very annoying flicker. If I choose 720p, all is fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvfKP...layer_embedded

no flicker on that video on my 37S1 or my PC monitor, the way they edited that trailer produces flashes when cutting between scenes and it is kind of annoying imo though

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #363 of 483 Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

Quick question for those who use this set as a monitor. Do you get any backlight flickering during 1080p playback on youtube?

I watched this video in 1080p, but experienced a very annoying flicker. If I choose 720p, all is fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvfKP...layer_embedded

I had a issue like that with WinDVD 9 Bluray and my GTX 280. I solved the problem by setting the "digital color format" to YCBCr444 in the "desktop color settings" section of the nVidia drivers. For whatever reason, the driver defaults to RGB. After doing that the fluttering and flashing disappeared. My Panny is now set up as an excellent PC monitor.
post #364 of 483 Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

no flicker on that video on my 37S1 or my PC monitor, the way they edited that trailer produces flashes when cutting between scenes and it is kind of annoying imo though

Thanks for checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly77 View Post

I had a issue like that with WinDVD 9 Bluray and my GTX 280. I solved the problem by setting the "digital color format" to YCBCr444 in the "desktop color settings" section of the nVidia drivers. For whatever reason, the driver defaults to RGB. After doing that the fluttering and flashing disappeared. My Panny is now set up as an excellent PC monitor.

That did the trick! Thanks!
post #365 of 483 Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Just got the TV yesterday, cable today. reviews in this thread are on the money. It works for me as a monitor just fine. of course red text on a white background blooms a bit, but its usable.

Anyway my question is there anyway to save the picture settings based on the input? The HDMI 2 input is now tuned for the PC, but Id like the TV settings to be different.. I must be missing something since there seems to only be one setting for all inputs..

Thanks for the help so far in this thread
post #366 of 483 Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post

Just got the TV yesterday, cable today. reviews in this thread are on the money. It works for me as a monitor just fine. of course red text on a white background blooms a bit, but its usable.

Anyway my question is there anyway to save the picture settings based on the input? The HDMI 2 input is now tuned for the PC, but Id like the TV settings to be different.. I must be missing something since there seems to only be one setting for all inputs..

Thanks for the help so far in this thread

custom picture mode saves independent of the input all others stay the same between inputs

post #367 of 483 Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM

frito or anyone else, I would really appreciate if you can help me regarding this Text issue. My main problem is white text on dark backgrounds. Picture quality looks really good. I'm about to try and see if I can get my money back and just keep playing my PS3 on my 22" Dell monitor.

Heres my thread explaining the issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1237405
post #368 of 483 Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM

Anybody have any picture settings they would like to share?
post #369 of 483 Old 03-25-2010, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking at picking one of these up for my dad's Engineering PC (runs CAD software). Couple questions -

1. What's the optimal viewing distance for use as a computer monitor?

2. Anyone know the dotch pitch on this thing?

OS is Win7 on a GTX285 card if that helps at all. Thanks.
post #370 of 483 Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Liked: 11
finally pulled the trigger on the 32S1!
post #371 of 483 Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Whats the NTSC Color Gamut coverage on the L32S1??

I keep hearing its a 10-bit IPS panel but I can not find any documentation which lists the NTSC Color Gamut.

I hooked up, laptop the other day via HDMI and its displays 1080p fine but on either both HD1 and HD 1 it does not completely fill up the full 32 inches. Its not stretched or cut off at all, just an thin half inch border around everything.

The Colors look very deep rich and Vibrant.
post #372 of 483 Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post

Looking at picking one of these up for my dad's Engineering PC (runs CAD software). Couple questions -

1. What's the optimal viewing distance for use as a computer monitor?

2. Anyone know the dotch pitch on this thing?

OS is Win7 on a GTX285 card if that helps at all. Thanks.

2-3 feet

dot pitch will be worse than smaller equal or higher resolution monitors

post #373 of 483 Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Whats the NTSC Color Gamut coverage on the L32S1??

I keep hearing its a 10-bit IPS panel but I can not find any documentation which lists the NTSC Color Gamut.

I hooked up, laptop the other day via HDMI and its displays 1080p fine but on either both HD1 and HD 1 it does not completely fill up the full 32 inches. Its not stretched or cut off at all, just an thin half inch border around everything.

The Colors look very deep rich and Vibrant.

its CCFL so same as any other CCFL LCD really because the backlight is the limitation of the displays color gamut not the display panel in this instance

post #374 of 483 Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googashlak View Post

Anybody have any picture settings they would like to share?

Here are my picture settings, the TV is in a fairly dull lit area so it might look a bit different in your viewing area.

Picture Mode: Standard
Back Light: 70
contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 55
Tint: 4
Sharpness: 20
Color Temp: Normal
Color mgmt.: on
x.v Color: off
A.I. picture: off
Video NR: off
Advanced Picture -
MPEG NR: off
Motion Focus: On
Black Level: Light
HD Size: 2

I saw some settings by someone else in the L37S1 thread where they used some calibrating tool, forgot what's it called by the picture look really washed out, almost like a grey thin sheet was overlaying the TV.

Tell me how it works out for you.
post #375 of 483 Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM

Liked: 14
Yeah you need to just play with it until it looks good to your eyes. I've tried other recommended settings and they look pretty bad to me. Same goes for calibrated sound, although it is technically correct, in my experience, results can be pretty awful.
post #376 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Does Motion Focus being on make a difference because I can't tell.
post #377 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googashlak View Post

Does Motion Focus being on make a difference because I can't tell.

its a scanning backlight and it does improve motion a little bit but nothing to write home about.

put your TV on a news channel with a scrolling ticker and switch it on and off, its one of the only ways i could clearly see its small impact

post #378 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22 View Post

finally pulled the trigger on the 32S1!

and of course i get it home and fire it up with a stuck pixel...at least its towards the bottom of the screen...at least i think its a stuck pixel as i can still see light behind it..is that a stuck pixel?

in other news you guys were spot on on the input lag...non whatsoever!

even SD looks decent on this tv.

its a keeper even with the black dot stuck pixel.

just read some more and if its black does that mean a dead pixel? anyway to do anything about this?
post #379 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM

here is a pic closeup of the whatever it is.
LL
post #380 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow looks like a cluster of dead pixels unless the camera blurred the image and is making it look like more than one

post #381 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM

no blur...thats what it is...anything i can do...will panasonic do anything?
post #382 of 483 Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

looks like small insect got stick in there, flick it with your finger tap it furiously.

Or hook up your PC and run some Dead Pixel fixer ap.
post #383 of 483 Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

looks like small insect got stick in there, flick it with your finger tap it furiously.

Or hook up your PC and run some Dead Pixel fixer ap.

i have a laptop with VGA out...is that all i need to hook it up, male VGA to male VGA? and then just switch the input? newb with that sort of thing...also any particular dead pixel ap you want me to try?
post #384 of 483 Old 04-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I could be wrong but it looks like something stuck between the screen and panel, a common occurrence on PC monitors. I say that because dead or stuck pixels keep their symmetric shape whereas that spot looks like a blob that's overlapping other working pixels.

No easy exchange option i'm guessing?

Otherwise dead pixel apps are more for stuck/colored pixels and not so much for dead/black pixels. If you still want to try one then a couple of good pixel exercisers i've used were:

Dead pixel tester, run the "exerciser" window and drag it over that dark spot and let it run for a couple of hours at least.

Dead pixel buddy works pretty well also (google).
post #385 of 483 Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Actually that spot looks damaged. I had that on a tv before and it was unacceptable so I returned it.
post #386 of 483 Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM

Yea, That looks like at least 5 pixels. I think Panasonic might cover you for that since they are so many so close together. It's worth a shot.
post #387 of 483 Old 04-05-2010, 02:11 PM

have an update for everyone...the place online i bought it from just gave me a 20% credit...so thats a start i guess...waiting on panasonic to let me know if there is anything they can do...the pic i posted makes it look worse then it is...and at least its towards the bottom of the screen...but still you buy something new and it would be nice to not have a problem...will post more when i hear from panny.
post #388 of 483 Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky_7 View Post

Here are my picture settings, the TV is in a fairly dull lit area so it might look a bit different in your viewing area.

Picture Mode: Standard
Back Light: 70
contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 55
Tint: 4
Sharpness: 20
Color Temp: Normal
Color mgmt.: on
Advanced Picture -
Black Level: Light
HD Size: 2

I saw some settings by someone else in the L37S1 thread where they used some calibrating tool, forgot what's it called by the picture look really washed out, almost like a grey thin sheet was overlaying the TV.

Tell me how it works out for you.

One thing I noticed about the Light setting it has a very subtle effect sort of like dynamic contrast. On some scenes in movies or games when there is black present in the background the screen would flash real quick. I noticed this only happens when the Black Level: Light setting is on. It got a little distracting so now I have it on Dark. Unfortunately I have to increase the brightness to over compensate for the loss of shadow detail.

Here is my settings:

Picture Mode: Game
Back Light: 80
contrast: 90
Brightness: 70
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool
Color mgmt.: off
Advanced Picture: off
Black Level: Dark
HD Size: 1

Eco setting is off as well.
post #389 of 483 Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM

HELP!

I just bought a 32S10 panny and it will be delivered in a few days, it has 20 thousand CR so I think it's a 2010 model, and while not an S1, I'm thinking the extra zero and contrast means it's the same as S1 but a bit better.... Looking at the amazing reviews at amazon and here, I got it.

Edit: also HDGuro recommends the S1 too.

But then I was linked to this review...

http://whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-TX-L32S10/

It even says motion is terrible, contrary to everybody here. Motion and input lag are the most important things to me (contrast is great but no point if good CR if input lag makes everything unplayable and too much blur (there's always going to be some with LCD) will ruin the picture in motion).

Should I go back and get something else?

I really, really wanted a Sony EX500. It looked so hot. Then I looked at the input lag video and nearly vomited. Why sony, why.

Edit: I think the one I got started with a TH and not a TX like the model in that video, but they seem close anyway...

Edit 2: one last thing, when people here talk about so-so black levels for the S1, how does it compare to, say, a high-end XBR from 2007? Is it still not that good?

LAST EDIT 3: that site with the bad review has a vidcast where it gives the sony V550A five starts and praises its motion. I thought the VA didn't have as good motion as the IPS ones? The S10 must be really screwed, maybe it's nothing like the S1. I didn't go through the entire vidcast it keeps getting cut off, not sure if it reached the end and it just didn't cover the panny or what. Link:

http://whathifi.com/Video/VIDCAST-re...test/Vidcasts/
post #390 of 483 Old 04-08-2010, 02:15 PM

This review of a 2008 panny is why I was comfrotable buyin the S10:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

Some good praise, especially for the black levels, I thought two generations ahead being at least better even if marginally so and I'd be happy. The S10 has to be at least as good as that one, right? There's no way it's worse, more likely better. Panny switched to IPS-pro/alpha lately so they're not outsourcing the get cheaper panels or something...

Edit: I don't think the S10 has 100/120Hz while the S1 does (are there two damn motion focus technology, actual 100/120hz and another one? this is confusing) so it really might be a downgrade. I really hope it, it makes no sense.

Absolutely last edit: that what hi fi website has other reviews of panny 32" LCDs and another one apparently has problems with fast motion. everybody's here talking about how IPS is awesome for motion, what's going on. This is consistent with the 2007 panny I have, motion sucks on it.

Absolutley FINAL last edit... The model I got was TH-L32S10, you guys are talking about a TC-L32S10 and the what hi fi site that had a bad review was of a TX-L32S10 that some page has listed as having a 50 thousand CR (as opposed to 20 thousand to the 2010 model I bought, what the hell). TC, TX, TH, I'm guessing those are just for regions? Blah.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page