AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post

What files can the SD card read?
I was looking for using JPG, MP3 and video files....

Especially the later, I have cable but don't use it and would love to be able to use videos especially on SD card and not have to turn my computer on.

thanks

pretty sure just photos

get a WD TV or asus o!play etc. they are updateable and oriented to play all types of media files

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 483 Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
Today's a good day to purchase this set if you are looking for one. I won't post the price but lets just say its a good 20% lower today usual when you look it up online through google.
post #63 of 483 Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Hey guys, I just put an order for this panel. I've wrestled with myself for 2 weeks on whether or not I should get it.

Let me just say that sjetski is the unofficial spokesperson for panasonic, haha, jk, but seriously, after following his posts I've been rather convinced.

I'll admit though, I'm not much of a gamer or movie watcher, as my main intent is for this panel is to read/write papers, ebooks, web browse, analyze charts, and maybe coding...

Did I pull the trigger too soon? We'll see..as it seems that many who have reviewed this panel used it as a FPS gaming monitor for their PC. However I intend on using it as a massive office productivity screen.
post #64 of 483 Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnova703 View Post

Hey guys, I just put an order for this panel. I've wrestled with myself for 2 weeks on whether or not I should get it.

Let me just say that sjetski is the unofficial spokesperson for panasonic, haha, jk, but seriously, after following his posts I've been rather convinced.

I'll admit though, I'm not much of a gamer or movie watcher, as my main intent is for this panel is to read/write papers, ebooks, web browse, analyze charts, and maybe coding...

Did I pull the trigger too soon? We'll see..as it seems that many who have reviewed this panel used it as a FPS gaming monitor for their PC. However I intend on using it as a massive office productivity screen.

Haha, and i've been following Frito's posts, though a lot of my commenting has been at the [H] forums. I tried to be as honest as possible though, there are a couple of potential pitfalls, they were minor for me but necessarily for someone else.

Going by your planned usage, i wonder if smudged red fonts will annoy you. There are tweaks that help slightly, like adjusting the sharpness anywhere between 0 ~ 10. Lowering the reds slightly in the service menu may help though i haven't tried that yet.

Here's a few BMP screen captures of how red fonts look. I had sharpness set to "7" in the user menu. These are very close to what i see on my screen:

Hmm, setting the sharpness to 7 may have helped more than i thought, that or i'm just getting used to it...

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who shared their info and opinions, especially Frito. Because of all of you i now have this gorgeous TV i'm using as a PC monitor.
post #65 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

looking at your pictures the red over the white background look fine to me on my sony TV

the red over black is a bit blurry esp the larger font for some odd reason

question though if those are BMP's i'm guessing you took a screenshot in windows and cropped it?

if that is the case then we are not seeing how the text looks on your TV at all

either way though even a camera is not going to capture what it looks like to a person looking at the screen so its hard to say really

I'll post my opinion on how it is when i get my panny but I'm still a few weeks out from that happening unfortunately

hopefully if it is fixable via service menu i will definitely dig into that when i get mine and post up results

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #66 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefLoans View Post

Here's what they are offering this year in a nice quick chart that tells you what sizes each model will come in and the major features.

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...rison_lcd.html

God lord, I will buy the TC-L42D2 as soon as it come in, I really don't care as long as it's under 2K.

Plz, plz, plz, the screen must be glossy!!! XD

30ms of lag would be acceptable for me if it's a LED IPS.
post #67 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

God lord, I will buy the TC-L42D2 as soon as it come in, I really don't care as long as it's under 2K.

Plz, plz, plz, the screen must be glossy!!! XD

30ms of lag would be acceptable for me if it's a LED IPS.

Panny LCD's afaik have always been matte so i wouldn't count on it being a glossy panel

on the input lag front i think we can be pretty safe guessing that as they are continuing to use the same IPS panels as before they will be pretty much input lag free most likely

post #68 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
How are the black levels on this TV? I heard that was one of the shortcomings of IPS panels? And just to confirm, it does preserve native 1:1 pixel mapping?

I'm helping a friend pick out a new 32" 1080p set for gaming and this one seems to be a good choice especially in regards to input lag.
post #69 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

Panny LCD's afaik have always been matte so i wouldn't count on it being a glossy panel

on the input lag front i think we can be pretty safe guessing that as they are continuing to use the same IPS panels as before they will be pretty much input lag free most likely

The LZ800 is Full Gloss & the screen is "anti-glare" like you get on Eye Glasses. It greatly increase the sharpness of the panel.
post #70 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

looking at your pictures the red over the white background look fine to me on my sony TV

the red over black is a bit blurry esp the larger font for some odd reason

question though if those are BMP's i'm guessing you took a screenshot in windows and cropped it?

if that is the case then we are not seeing how the text looks on your TV at all

either way though even a camera is not going to capture what it looks like to a person looking at the screen so its hard to say really

I'll post my opinion on how it is when i get my panny but I'm still a few weeks out from that happening unfortunately

hopefully if it is fixable via service menu i will definitely dig into that when i get mine and post up results

Looks like you are seeing the same thing as i. The red over white background seem "good enough" here also, both in real life and in the pic. That screenshot was within microsoft word btw. The red over dark is a screenshot taken from another web forum, and in real life the dark one is worse. I tried verifying from a laptop before posting, and on the laptop the .BMP's seemed extremely close to what i'm seeing on the L32S1 (Unless there's another aspect i'm missing? wouldn't surprise me ).
post #71 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefLoans View Post

Today's a good day to purchase this set if you are looking for one. I won't post the price but lets just say its a good 20% lower today usual when you look it up online through google.

amazon deal? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L32S1-32-Inch-1080p/dp/B001U3YK48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264607194&sr=1-1
post #72 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

We're not supposed to discuss that stuff here, pretty sure it breaks more than one rule. Sent you a PM with all the details.
post #73 of 483 Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM

can someone else PM me the details of that "deal" you were finding?
post #74 of 483 Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 PM

I've seen this mentioned by several other people in this thread and the TC-37S1 thread. I am running this TC-32S1 as a PC monitor. My video card is a Radeon 4870 512 and I am using Windows 7. I am using a DVI to HDMI cable. Drivers are Catalyst 9.12. Desktop resolution is set to 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

The problem I have (and one I've seen other ATI users mention) is significant underscan when outputting a signal to the monitor. By that I mean, there is about 1 cm blank space around the desktop in HD Size 1 and nearly two cm of blank space surrounding the desktop in HD Size 2. I saw a mention of changing the refresh rate of 60hz to 59hz as a possible solution, but 59hz is unsupported by the Catalyst drivers when using HDMI (except for 1280x720 @ 59hz). Using a lower resolution still maintains the black bars around the desktop.

Interestingly enough, the PS3 I have hooked up to the HDMI input #2 displays a full frame picture just fine at 1080p.

For those of you using the TC-32S1 as a PC monitor, can you reply with your video card, driver revision, and operating system? Do you see a full frame? Or is there a blank surround on your desktop?
post #75 of 483 Old 01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanbfuzzy View Post

I've seen this mentioned by several other people in this thread and the TC-37S1 thread. I am running this TC-32S1 as a PC monitor. My video card is a Radeon 4870 512 and I am using Windows 7. I am using a DVI to HDMI cable. Drivers are Catalyst 9.12. Desktop resolution is set to 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

The problem I have (and one I've seen other ATI users mention) is significant underscan when outputting a signal to the monitor. By that I mean, there is about 1 cm blank space around the desktop in HD Size 1 and nearly two cm of blank space surrounding the desktop in HD Size 2. I saw a mention of changing the refresh rate of 60hz to 59hz as a possible solution, but 59hz is unsupported by the Catalyst drivers when using HDMI (except for 1280x720 @ 59hz). Using a lower resolution still maintains the black bars around the desktop.

Interestingly enough, the PS3 I have hooked up to the HDMI input #2 displays a full frame picture just fine at 1080p.

For those of you using the TC-32S1 as a PC monitor, can you reply with your video card, driver revision, and operating system? Do you see a full frame? Or is there a blank surround on your desktop?

I'm using catalyst version 9.10, using an ATI 4870 with windows XP temporarily (waiting to install win 7 on this particular PC) and i have perfect 1:1.

I found the option for 59hz under -> Catalyst control center -> "Display manager -> Display properties". After i set that, i had to set it in the generic windows display properties as well (they both must be set to 59hz).

In the catalyst control center i also had to enable "Image Scaling" and check off "Centered Timings" or "Maintain Aspect Ratio" (both work for me).

In the TV menu, set it to "HD size 2" and leave it there. Disable all image processing extras, set sharpness to "0" for now, you can try messing with sharpness later btw.

Took a bit of tinkering, and rebooting the TV and computer a few times to get it right. But once you get it working it should remain flawless. There were a couple of times when windows or catalyst would "secretly" revert back to 60hz. I say "secretly" because it would still say 59hz, so i would temporarily put it to 60hz, then back to 59hz to get it working again. This has only happened to me twice and not anymore, i've never been able to recreate the problem since. Pretty sure rebooting the TV would have worked also. Having two video control panels (windows + Catalyst) complicates things a little bit i think.
post #76 of 483 Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM

so when playing a game should we use game mode or no?
post #77 of 483 Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM

Thank you, sjetski71, for reminding me to dig into the scaling options. It turns out that Catalyst 9.12 have about a 10% underscan set by default in the drivers.

To fix the underscan, I went to the "Desktop & Displays" page under the Catalyst Control Center. From there I selected my display from the list at the bottom of the page and chose "Configure". From that page I selected the "Scaling Options" tab and moved the slider all the way to the 0% or "Overscan" side of the scale. Now I'm running 1:1 mapping and I can happily use this as my primary monitor.

Thank you once again.
post #78 of 483 Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Could someone condense the ideal video settings into one post for the TC-L32SI =)?
post #79 of 483 Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Just bought this baby to become my dedicated Monitor.

Should be here tommrow from amazon.
post #80 of 483 Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuFaye View Post

Just bought this baby to become my dedicated Monitor.

Should be here tommrow from amazon.

I just bought it too...this morning xD. How are ya gonna get it tmw though? It says they haven't even shipped mine yet, and I have 2 day shipping.

Anyways, do we have to calibrate it or is it fine out of the box?
post #81 of 483 Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 PM

The best deal I found in Canada is close to USD$700, and we have to add 15% for sales tax. Ouch. This TV is on top of my list now that my 12 YO SD CRT is finally dead.
post #82 of 483 Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 PM

So I got the Panasonic today and wow! HD is amazing on this tv!

And who says the sound isnt good? Its very, very crisp and good. I have it on 20/100.

*does anyone use cinema mode while watching a movie?*
post #83 of 483 Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackoForFlacco View Post

I just bought it too...this morning xD. How are ya gonna get it tmw though? It says they haven't even shipped mine yet, and I have 2 day shipping.

Anyways, do we have to calibrate it or is it fine out of the box?

It was supposed to be here Saturday from amazon, but the snow had other ideas.
post #84 of 483 Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 AM

I am deciding between this and the toshiba bottom line 32"

I think I am gonna order this one for my bedroom, some positive things in this thread and elsewhere. Amazon for me, prime trial so I am gonna use the overnight for $3.99 option and get it tommorow, technically friday.

Just ordered, thought about getting the squaretrade warranty for $60 then I realized how crazy I would be to get it on a tv at this price.
post #85 of 483 Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Just came from amazon today, works fine. But the settings are definitely off so I need to fix em. Any suggestions on what settings to use for 360/ps3?
post #86 of 483 Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM

How are the colors on the TC-L32S1? I saw some color banding in the store, but I wasn't sure what to think of them. Those sets in the stores most likely have crappy settings.
If you're using one right now, please tell me if this picture is ok:
post #87 of 483 Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drallcom3 View Post

How are the colors on the TC-L32S1? I saw some color banding in the store, but I wasn't sure what to think of them. Those sets in the stores most likely have crappy settings.
If you're using one right now, please tell me if this picture is ok:

http://www.abload.de/img/a3gt5.png

I've tried very hard till recently to find any sort of color banding on my L32S1...and never came close to finding any.

I'm using it right now, only partially calibrated, and the picture you posted looks good to me.

As you probably already know, the store is likely running it in "torch mode".
post #88 of 483 Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

I've tried very hard till recently to find any sort of color banding on my L32S1...and never came close to finding any.

I'm using it right now, only partially calibrated, and the picture you posted looks good to me.

As you probably already know, the store is likely running it in "torch mode".

yup i agree on the store torch mode

and 2nd on the no banding here but i'm on a Toshiba 40"

edit: that picture is a bad way to check, i just moved it over to my TN monitor that has color banding (6bit panel ofc) and saw zero banding

post #89 of 483 Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy View Post

Just came from amazon today, works fine. But the settings are definitely off so I need to fix em. Any suggestions on what settings to use for 360/ps3?

Do you have any Pixar films? They have test patterns that work very well for basic settings.

Also, if you're comfortable enough, you could dive into the service menu to adjust the red push.
post #90 of 483 Old 02-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy View Post

I am deciding between this and the toshiba bottom line 32"

I am also trying to decide between the TC-l32S1 and Toshiba's 32RV525R. I'm helping a friend pick out a new set to be primarily used for 360 gaming, and I'm trying to choose between these two sets.

I know that the Panasonic has an advantage over the Toshiba set in terms of input lag and viewing angles, my main concern is about the black level in the panasonic set compared to the Toshiba.

It has and IPS-PRO panel I guess but I have no idea how those perform in regards to black level. I believe the Toshiba has either a PVA or MVA type panel....not sure, but I was under the impression that that panel type produced better blacks than IPS variants.

I've read mixed reviews on it where some say it has very good blacks, and others says the blacks could be better and are lacking.

Could some owners of the L32S1 set please share their honest opinion on the black level of the set?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page