post #361 of 2287 Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Well I asked this "before" I opened up and went into settings. I don't even have a "Game Mode". All that's there are..Standard, Vivid and Custom. I set it to custom and used some of the settings found here and turned off Motionflow. So far so good.

Concerning settings I've used some posted here but I have a question about skin tone on what to adjust to add a slight bit more of red. The detail is there but it seems it needs a bit more warmth or red. Not sure if it's in the Bias or Gain section. Thanks

DR. DTS,

The game mode is accessed by pressing "scene" on your remote. From there, you can choose game or cinema and six other presets. They can also be customized to your taste. I hope this helps...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2287 Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Damn nice set. I got my 52" this past Saturday...amazingly good price at BB, only $200 more than the 46". As a matter of fact, I took the 46" home, pulled it out of the box, and realized that for a measly $200, I could have a much bigger set. Back I went, and swapped it for the 52".

Looked pretty good OOB even. Had to crank down the color and sharpness quite a bit, but after that, it's stunning. I can only imagine what it will look like with some decent tweaks.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #363 of 2287 Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Concerning settings I've used some posted here but I have a question about skin tone on what to adjust to add a slight bit more of red. The detail is there but it seems it needs a bit more warmth or red. Not sure if it's in the Bias or Gain section. Thanks

Try Warm 1.
post #364 of 2287 Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm considering getting the 40 - zv5100 for my bedroom.
I'm not sure what the terminology is, but my Kuro in the front room has
a feature tha auto-stretches the picture during commercials and/or any non-widescreen broadcasts so that you don't get all the black bars around the picture.

Does the 40 - zv5100 have this feature too?
post #365 of 2287 Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhzz35 View Post

I'm considering getting the 40 - zv5100 for my bedroom.
I'm not sure what the terminology is, but my Kuro in the front room has
a feature tha auto-stretches the picture during commercials and/or any non-widescreen broadcasts so that you don't get all the black bars around the picture.

Does the 40 - zv5100 have this feature too?

Plasma HDTVs have features like that to minimize "burn-in" problems, which are still a plague on plasmas. LCD HDTVs don't get "burn-in" so there aren't any special adjustments to minimize it.

The Z5100s have a setting for selecting the video size (4 options), but once you select "Full" for 16X9 aspect ratio HDTV broadcasts, it stays there, until you manually change it, regardless of what appears on the screen. SD broadcasts (4X3 aspect ratio) have a similar set of 4 viewing screen size choices, but again, once set, they stay until manually reset.

This is not a limitation of the Z5100 or LCD HDTVs, unless there is some reason that you need all the program content to fill all of the screen, all of the time. BTW, I usually visit the restroom during commercials, so I don't notice that many that aren't 16X9 aspect ratio.
post #366 of 2287 Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Just in case anyone is considering the 46" Z5100, it was just dropped way below $1500!!! Great deal for someone!!!
post #367 of 2287 Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

does this Z5100 set have the automotion soap opera effect capability of turning it on and off like on samsungs?? How is the quality when watching a standard def feed through satellite/directv??
post #368 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

does this Z5100 set have the automotion soap opera effect capability of turning it on and off like on samsungs?? How is the quality when watching a standard def feed through satellite/directv??

The automotion soap opera effect? Huh?

Standard def through DirectV is about what you would expect...it does a decent job, but no better than most other sets at this price point.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #369 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

huh? hmm? Durr??

yes, the soap opera effect that is common among Samsung sets with automotion.. I just wanted to know if this Sony Z series has the option to turn it down etc like on samsungs?
post #370 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:

huh? hmm? Durr??

yes, the soap opera effect that is common among Samsung sets with automotion.. I just wanted to know if this Sony Z series has the option to turn it down etc like on samsungs?

Yes, there is the option to turn it off or run it in "standard" and "high" modes. To my eyes, the effect is not as bad as I've seen on some other manufacturer's sets.
post #371 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is the quality when watching a standard def feed through satellite/directv??

By feed do you mean a SD broadcast (i.e., 480i broadcast; 4:3 aspect ratio) or do you mean the feed to the TV is via something other than HDMI or component video? I haven't tried the latter, but I wouldn't expect much. Besides, why have an HDTV and feed it s-video or component video signals?

As to 480i broadcasts from Dish via HDMI from a Dish HD receiver, they are passable, but nothing to write home about. SD doesn't seem to be one of the Z5100's strong points, particularly in the 52" model (i.e., just too much space to spread out the limited number of pixels). My old 50" HDTV had problems with SD also, but my 32" LCD does a decent job, so I think it is a combination of size and manufacturer/model.
post #372 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

thanks CEB, I am actually interested in getting a 40 inch model and I know most of the good sets looks good in HD, but I will be watching alot of standard def as well and this is my main concern, because I have the feeling that this 15 year old Sony CRT XBR will show better than a brand new LCD HDTV.. I also plan to play xbox 360 games and want it to be sharp, and not have jaggies or lag..
post #373 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi

I read in prev posts that it only supports mpeg-2 video via USB. Is there any way to add more codec support ?
post #374 of 2287 Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks CEB, I am actually interested in getting a 40 inch model and I know most of the good sets looks good in HD, but I will be watching alot of standard def as well and this is my main concern, because I have the feeling that this 15 year old Sony CRT XBR will show better than a brand new LCD HDTV.. I also plan to play xbox 360 games and want it to be sharp, and not have jaggies or lag..

My late 27" Sony Trinitron did a lot better with 480i programming from Dish than do either of my large HDTVs. My 32" Samsung (2 years old this XMas) gives the now dead 27" Sony a run for its money because of the smaller size and the fact that Samsung seems to have spent more time and effort in getting 480i to look good on their LCDs than any other manufacturer.

If SD reproduction is a top priority, check out something like a 40" Samsung B750 and/or wait a few weeks for Consumer Reports to put out their first HDTV ratings for this model year. They actually are one of the few reviewing services that make a point of evaluating 480i and 480p video quality. My 32" Samsung was CRs top rated 32" in its day and was rated above average (very few have been so rated in the past) for 480i video.
post #375 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:

thanks CEB, I am actually interested in getting a 40 inch model and I know most of the good sets looks good in HD, but I will be watching alot of standard def as well and this is my main concern, because I have the feeling that this 15 year old Sony CRT XBR will show better than a brand new LCD HDTV..

Just bought one a couple of weeks ago; and in some instances the 480i (SD) picture almost looks HD! I know many people will not agree; but the smaller 40" screen is what allows the picture to look very 3-dimensional so long as the quality of the incoming signal is high. With non-upconverted DVD via RCA jacks, the quality is very good but you might not see the depth; with digital feed SD via coax on some pictures the images appear higher than SD in quality. When watching Terminator 2 last week many of the scenes appeared to have a 3-d quality that I have not seen on any SD television (so it should blow your CRT-XBR away). If you use the zoom or wide features you will lose the definition; so leave it in standard to get the best quality of picture. If the format is 16x9 on the SD broadcast you can use zoom and it will look nice but you will lose that semi-HD quality; which makes me wonder if the digital tuner is upconverting a bit when you watch a digital SD picture in standard 4x3 dimension.

If you get a Sony LCD I'd definitely go for the Z series as it is the same panel as the XBR. We had bought a V series but returned it because the Z went on sale; and glad it did after being slightly annoyed with some picture quality issues on the V series. Don't get me wrong; the V is a great picture, just that the Z is pretty much as good as it gets at this price point (~$1000/40").
post #376 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 AM

Hi I'm in the UK and looking at buying one of these Sony bravia Z5100 (5500 UK model) & was wondering if you guys had any experience with this & the previous model (Z4100? Z4500 in UK)? Does the Z5100 justify spending an extra £400 notes? Anybody had clouding/bleed issues (not fussed if its minor BUT would like to know if the Z5100 suffers as bad as the W5100) because its been noted in a few reviews over here & they say that this reason on a set this expensive is what stopped it getting full marks/recomended status! Any feedback on these issues would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Thick As
post #377 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

Yes, there is the option to turn it off or run it in "standard" and "high" modes. To my eyes, the effect is not as bad as I've seen on some other manufacturer's sets.

Just curious how does the picture stack up against a XBR2? As I might sell this beast off and go with a Sony or Samsung. Although I must admit, I have had great luck with Sony's so far.
post #378 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

What option are you referring to in the above post? Just curious so I can check it out.
post #379 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb7 View Post

What option are you referring to in the above post? Just curious so I can check it out.

I don't believe there is a similar feature/control on the Sonys

post #380 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I was referring to the "Motionflow" option.
post #381 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM

I noticed it last night for the first time but did not know what it was...it was on a std dvd but i switched it to vivid just to see the option and it jumped off my screen. I assume it was the motion flow jacked up. I will check it again tonight now that I know its motion flow.
post #382 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I noticed it last night for the first time but did not know what it was...it was on a std dvd but i switched it to vivid just to see the option and it jumped off my screen. I assume it was the motion flow jacked up. I will check it again tonight now that I know its motion flow.

If the option you chose was "Vivid", that was not a Motionflow option. "Vivid" is one of the picture presets.
post #383 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Does anybody know if the tv's optical (Toslink) digital audio output will output 5.1?

post #384 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Does anybody know if the tv's optical (Toslink) digital audio output will output 5.1?

Yes. It certainly does. I originally had a V series and returned it because the Toslink would only output PCM 2.0. With the advent of HD OTA in DD 5.1, this is now a must have. But, rest assured, the Z series does output DD 5.1...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #385 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Has anyone used this TV with AppleTV? Every time I try and play a movie or TV show via AppleTV, it tells me that my TV is not HDCP compliant. According to the spec on the TV, it IS HDCP compliant. My Apple TV is connected directly to my TV via HDMI.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ben R.
post #386 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 04:59 PM

I bought the 52" a couple of weeks ago and I calibrated it using the sony 52" xbr9 settings from cnet. It's in the forums just search for the xbr9.

I'm using these settings currently but I haven't had time to tweak with it. Let me know what you think or if I should change some settings.

Thanks,

Dee
post #387 of 2287 Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Yes. It certainly does. I originally had a V series and returned it because the Toslink would only output PCM 2.0. With the advent of HD OTA in DD 5.1, this is now a must have.

Not for all of us as many will use a separate audio system. For example, I have no use at all for the Toslink output or, indeed, for any audio functions.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #388 of 2287 Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not for all of us as many will use a separate audio system. For example, I have no use at all for the Toslink output or, indeed, for any audio functions.

Yes...So do I. I was referring to receiving OTA HD. If you receive terrestrial signals, this makes the feature useful...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #389 of 2287 Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys another question, does this tv have a portable hard drive compatible USB drive so you can play video files off the hard drive when connecting it?? I heard the new LG SL80 has this capability and I thought it was a MAJOR deciding factor for me because I would love to just download HD content or movies and plug and play them..
post #390 of 2287 Old 09-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Isn't the whole point of the Toslink that you can run it out to a separate audio system to output 5.1? If all you have is a TV, that should work great, right?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page