post #451 of 2287 Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQCQDX View Post

Can someone offer product suggestions on what is a good product to clean the Sony LCD Screen? I did not find the user guide helpful enough. ANy other cleaning tips? I think that Windex or other strong cleaning products are a no-no. Sooner or later - I'll have to clean it.

Other than the cleaning issue, all is good with my Sony.
thanks.

Don't use ANYTHING that contains ammonia! This incudes standard Windex and other "glass cleaners". The ammonia will cloud your screen! There are some glass cleaners touted as ammonia-free, but I would be wary of those as well.

You can also go to the PC section of yuor local Walmart/Target/Fry's/BestBuy and buy a packet of LCD screen cleaner wipes. These are premoistened wipes that are single-use only.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2287 Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For general, routine cleaning/dusting, just wipe the screen gently with a micro-fiber cloth. If you need to remove smudges like finger and palm prints, then use an LCD screen cleaner that is just alcohol and water (common PC product). Don't spray your screen with the solution, put the solution on a micro-fiber cloth and rub the screen with the wetted micro-fiber cloth. I've found that for greasy smudges (finger and palm prints) that water along won't remove the smudge, it just spreads it.
post #453 of 2287 Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody update their firmware to ver 109 yet? I so, do you notice anything different or better in terms of performance or bug-fixing?

And does updating wipe all your picture settings back to default?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #454 of 2287 Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

My Z5100 is connected on-line and I just ran another SW update check. It still comes back with "The TV contains the latest software version "aa0108pn" An update is not necessary.
post #455 of 2287 Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

My Z5100 is connected on-line and I just ran another SW update check. It still comes back with "The TV contains the latest software version "aa0108pn" An update is not necessary.

CEB,

Yeah. I got the same message when the update came out in late August (I believe) I had to download the update to a thumb drive to install it. I now have 'aa0109pn'. To this day, I don't know why Sony has not made this update available for direct download.

If you want the firmware update, I hope this helps...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #456 of 2287 Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Anybody update their firmware to ver 109 yet? I so, do you notice anything different or better in terms of performance or bug-fixing?

And does updating wipe all your picture settings back to default?

CSonntag,

Here is what is posted on the Sony Style website, along with my opinions of each bullet point:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version aa0109pn) addresses intermittent issues experienced by some customers, including the following:

1) The television picture freezes momentarily, then the TV powers off and then on. This may occur shortly after powering on the TV, while viewing programming, changing channels, or using the TV's xross media bar™.

I have had this phenomenon occur on occasions. It happened quite infrequently. However, after updating the firmware, I have yet to see the problem rear its ugly head again.

2) When changing channels, the TV powers off and the POWER/STANDBY LED flashes red. Pushing the Power button again (only once) restores the TV's function.

I never noted this problem either before or after the update.

3) When viewing 1080p formatted signals through the Component (Y/Pb/Pr) Input, a horizontal scratch-like line may appear on the screen.

I only use the HDMI inputs and cannot comment on this one.

4) Intermittent remote commander response when the TV is first turned on and the backlight is dim.

I did experience this issue, quite frequently, in fact. It still occurs but to nowhere near the frequency it had in the past.

5) The television turns off and then back on again when powering on the TV with a programmable remote commander.

This happened to me maybe twice. I have not seen it since updating.

6) Correction of the "Current time has been lost. Please reset the time" message repeatedly coming up.

I never noted this either before nor after updating.

7) Further improves the use of the Network functions (Internet Video and Widgets).

Hmmm...This one has me chuckling. It was slow then and it's slow now. It's not my Internet connection. I have a 30 Mbps broadband connection so I know that's not the problem. I have really found little to no use for these. Other than to use Twitter to post 'I'm sitting on the patio' to irritate my older kids. (If you've seen the commercial, you may get a laugh out of that one!)

As far as losing my settings, with the two or three firmware updates I have done, I have not lost any settings.

Oh! And one more thing...If you have ever noticed what happens when you have a totally black field on your display (The back-light gets dimmer and dimmer progressively after a few seconds) This problem seems to have gotten worse. On the plus side, I really haven't seen any movie content that causes the effect. The only exception being the opening sequence to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #457 of 2287 Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

CEB,

Yeah. I got the same message when the update came out in late August (I believe) I had to download the update to a thumb drive to install it. I now have 'aa0109pn'. To this day, I don't know why Sony has not made this update available for direct download.

If you want the firmware update, I hope this helps...Will

I'm kind of in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, so I'll wait until Sony sees the need directly inform our TVs that an update is needed. The issues I previously had were taken care of by the 108 update.
post #458 of 2287 Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I've made some notes on your notes regarding issues I previously had that were fixed by the 108 update. I suspect that 108 actually fixed the big malfunction issues and 109 includes those fixes also, plus some non-essential enhancements. Thus, Sony doesn't see the need to make 109 a "critical" update. Just MHO.

[quote=Will Munshower;17388064]CSonntag,

1) The television picture freezes momentarily, then the TV powers off and then on. This may occur shortly after powering on the TV, while viewing programming, changing channels, or using the TV's xross media bar.

I had this problem, but the 108 update fixed it

2) When changing channels, the TV powers off and the POWER/STANDBY LED flashes red. Pushing the Power button again (only once) restores the TV's function.

I saw this problem one time, but I haven't seen it again since the 108 update

3) When viewing 1080p formatted signals through the Component (Y/Pb/Pr) Input, a horizontal scratch-like line may appear on the screen.

Same for me.[/color]

4) Intermittent remote commander response when the TV is first turned on and the backlight is dim.

I did experience this issue, quite frequently, in fact. It still occurs but to nowhere near the frequency it had in the past.
I still see this upon startup, but it corrects itself within a minute, so I consider it a warm-up issue.

5) The television turns off and then back on again when powering on the TV with a programmable remote commander.

I don't remember this ever happening to me.

6) Correction of the "Current time has been lost. Please reset the time" message repeatedly coming up.

I saw this a few times in the past, but not since the 108 update.

7) Further improves the use of the Network functions (Internet Video and Widgets).

Hmmm...This one has me chuckling. It was slow then and it's slow now. It's not my Internet connection. I have a 30 Mbps broadband connection so I know that's not the problem. I have really found little to no use for these. Other than to use Twitter to post 'I'm sitting on the patio' to irritate my older kids. (If you've seen the commercial, you may get a laugh out of that one!)
Was and is slow and not particularly worthwhile.

As far as losing my settings, with the two or three firmware updates I have done, I have not lost any settings.
No loss of settings with on-line updates to date.
post #459 of 2287 Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

CSonntag,

Here is what is posted on the Sony Style website, along with my opinions of each bullet point:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version aa0109pn) addresses intermittent issues experienced by some customers, including the following:

1) The television picture freezes momentarily, then the TV powers off and then on. This may occur shortly after powering on the TV, while viewing programming, changing channels, or using the TV's xross media bar.

I have had this phenomenon occur on occasions. It happened quite infrequently. However, after updating the firmware, I have yet to see the problem rear its ugly head again.

I never noted this problem either before or after the update.

Oh! And one more thing...If you have ever noticed what happens when you have a totally black field on your display (The back-light gets dimmer and dimmer progressively after a few seconds) This problem seems to have gotten worse. On the plus side, I really haven't seen any movie content that causes the effect. The only exception being the opening sequence to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Excellent info, thanks Will!
Knowing now that I won't lose my settings, I'll probably go ahead and do the update. I'm still at f/w ver 89, or something like that...

post #460 of 2287 Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Instead of waiting to schedule a delivery with Sonystyles delivery carrier, I called them this morning and went right to their warehouse to pick it up myself. Was a little worried when they presented the box to me. It wasnt in bad shape and looked like it could have come right out of the back of bestbuy but I expected Sony to at least double box it for transit.

Got it up and running and its working fine. The picture is great and I'm loving the widgets. I took another posters advice and got the netgear powerline adapter for the internet connection. Just plug and play. Use it for both the TV and the xbox.

I havent gotten around to playing with the settings yet. Just ordered the DVE calibration disk so I figure I'll put a few hours on the screen before it gets here.

I did expect to find a game mode under settings to go along with standard, vivid and cinema but it wasnt there. Did I miss it somehow ?
post #461 of 2287 Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarcop View Post

I did expect to find a game mode under settings to go along with standard, vivid and cinema but it wasnt there. Did I miss it somehow ?

cgarcop,

Yup, it's there. Just push 'Scene' on your remote and select 'game' on the bottom left. It makes a huge difference, especially on rhythm based titles like RB and GH.

Those are really the only titles I play, and I figure if there is no lag or stutter with that type of game, you're good to go...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #462 of 2287 Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Hello all,

This weekend I purchased a 52Z5100, and hope to wall mount it sometime soon. I know this was discussed earlier in this thread, but no consensus seemed to be reached about third-party manufacturers.

I just did a live chat with Monoprice and was told that this tv has a 300x300 VESA setup and any of the mounts they sell will work. I think I read a few pages back that Sony does not use (or at least publish) VESA specs for their tvs.

Can anyone confirm either way?
post #463 of 2287 Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

Hello all,

This weekend I purchased a 52Z5100, and hope to wall mount it sometime soon. I know this was discussed earlier in this thread, but no consensus seemed to be reached about third-party manufacturers.

I just did a live chat with Monoprice and was told that this tv has a 300x300 VESA setup and any of the mounts they sell will work. I think I read a few pages back that Sony does not use (or at least publish) VESA specs for their tvs.

Can anyone confirm either way?

Sony DOES list VESA specs, at least they do for the 52Z5100 series...just go to the sonystyle.com website, and do to the specific televisions page, then go to the specifications tab, about half way down the center column:

Regulation and Standard Compliance

* VESA® Hole Pitch : 300x300 M6
* VESA® Hole Spacing Compatible : Yes

I just got (10/21/09) a 46Z5100 with the same hole pitch and order the Monoprice 3725 mount which should arrive today...based my decision to buy this mount on a friends recommendation (and comments on this forum)...
post #464 of 2287 Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM

I was bored, so I've confirmed via sonystyle.com that they list VESA specs for all (S,V,W,Z) the 5100 series:

32" is 200x200 M6
37", 40", 46", 52" is 300x300 M6
55", 65" is 400x300 M6

Hope that helps...
post #465 of 2287 Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsjunk View Post

Sony DOES list VESA specs, at least they do for the 52Z5100 series...just go to the sonystyle.com website, and do to the specific televisions page, then go to the specifications tab, about half way down the center column:

Regulation and Standard Compliance

* VESA® Hole Pitch : 300x300 M6
* VESA® Hole Spacing Compatible : Yes

I just got (10/21/09) a 46Z5100 with the same hole pitch and order the Monoprice 3725 mount which should arrive today...based my decision to buy this mount on a friends recommendation (and comments on this forum)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsjunk View Post

I was bored, so I've confirmed via sonystyle.com that they list VESA specs for all (S,V,W,Z) the 5100 series:

32" is 200x200 M6
37", 40", 46", 52" is 300x300 M6
55", 65" is 400x300 M6

Hope that helps...

Thanks guys. Clearly my own research was a weak attempt. I need to join AVS Anonymous, too much of a crutch. But anyway, I was going to choose between the 3724 and 3725 myself.
post #466 of 2287 Old 10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, it appears that Sony's VESA specs are Sony's proprietary specs. I wonder how many poor souls have ponied up the $300.00 for the mount. Dang, I wouldn't pay over $100.00 for a mount. Sony loves to up-sell, it seems...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #467 of 2287 Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 AM

Set up my 52 last night. Relatively minor flashlighting in the top two corners out of the box. Backlight was set at 6. This morning I quickly put in Will's settings from the calibration thread (lowering backlight to 2) which seemed to eliminate them, but I barely had any time to really look.

My picture definitely needs further tweaking, but overall I'm impressed. Its replacing a 3.5-year-old 42" Samsung plasma, so at this point I'm just reveling in the glory of the bigger screen.

I'll post back when we've had more time together.
post #468 of 2287 Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

This might also be a good choice for wall mounting a 52Z5100.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-SF670-Fixed-Low-Profile-Displays/dp/B000JMHFMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256668702&sr=8-1"]

Peerless has a variety different types of mounts for the 52Z5100 and most of the most popular are available on Amazon for less than half list price.

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/en/dyn...v/11168/app/Wa

I used one of their single mount, articulating arms on a 32" Samsung and I'm quite pleased with the quality and value of the mount.
post #469 of 2287 Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Hey EveryOne -
New owner here - 40Z5100, delivered and set up last Fri.
After emailing Sony Support (and irrelevant responses), the mystery to me is "Vivid" picture Mode -

I've read passing references to Vivid Mode here in this forum, but the set seems to switch to Vivid automatically.
What I'm experiencing, via the user settings:
- no reference to Vivid Mode thru "scene" button.
- no reference to Vivid Mode thru Options > Picture Adj'ments. *when referenced = the mystery!
- no reference to Vivid Mode thru Home > Settings > (any sub menus)

- Updated SWare to the V 108, via internet, on day of setup.

I thought, thru experimenting that Vivid is enabled following a switch from Backlight "off" > Backlight "On"... but that does not seem to be it.

What am I missing? At first, i thought the set switched to vivid after I switched inputs (from OTA) to my cable box, which is Video/Component 1... but that is inconsistent; sometimes the setting persists.

P.S. My peripherals are very simple. A non-HDTV cable box, on Video1 (composite), and a VCR (again composite).

Thx much.
post #470 of 2287 Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberGherkin View Post

What am I missing?

Select "general" scene mode first, and then go to picture adjustments.
post #471 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberGherkin View Post

Hey EveryOne -
New owner here - 40Z5100, delivered and set up last Fri.
After emailing Sony Support (and irrelevant responses), the mystery to me is "Vivid" picture Mode -

SG,

My advice to you would be to keep the 'vivid' mode a mystery. This setting throws a display so out of whack that a mode such as this should not even be an option. With the Z5100, you could not be further away from ideal in so many variables such as, greyscale, contrast blooming and/or even more greyscale deviation from excessive contrast. Brightness that is way too high. Ringing and edge enhancement from the excessive sharpness, etc.

And these are just a few things I can think of after just waking up. Everybody who spends this much bank on a television should at the very least, rent Digital Video Essentials or Avia II. These along with the Spears and Munsil disks, are essential tools to anyone who is even a little serious about home theater. Good luck and feel free to ask for advice in our little thread..Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #472 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Just got the KDL-40Z5100 and noticed that the light leval falls off on the right and left side about 1/2 inch from the side. Tried lots of different settings but does not go away. First noticed it while watching "Simpsons". Went back to the store and checked other sets and noticed this problem with XBR as well.

Anyone else seen this problem?
post #473 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Yes, noticed on a predominately white/off-white content (background)... like in some of the commercials, IIRC, OTA full 1080p (probably on non-HD cable source as well).
- down both vertical edges, parallel to the bezel, about 1- 2 inches wide.

Thank you, Will & c3 - why the software is this way, is at best, annoying - makes no sense to me.

But, you guys are far more of the enthusiasts. As a confessed 'Sony Snob' & moving from a circa '97 32" XBR to this panel... well, the honeymoon hasn't even begun! I'll slowly upgrade to some form of HD media playing.

Glad I lurked at this forum while finalizing the buying choice, 2 weeks ago.
Relly appreciate the responses.

-SGherkin
post #474 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

jqpublic,

Yes...This is a known 'feature' of the Z5100 and XBR9 series. The phenomenon should actually be uniform across the whole screen. Sony, in their infinite wisdom, decided to program the sets to incrementally drop the backlight level when there is a dark screen. My assumption is that this was done to inflate contrast ratio specs.

You will notice a few seconds after a black screen (or starfield) shows up, the back-light will drop off bit by bit and then drastically drop off to close to zero. This issue was actually made more noticeable after one of the early firmware updates.

I don't notice it with normal programming. An exception that I noted was the opening sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

If you are noticing it often, I would make sure that your contrast and brightness levels are set properly. Also, having the back-light set too high will exacerbate the problem. I have mine set at 1. Though I have not tested it, the 'black corrector' feature may also play a hand in it. I have this circuit turned off.

I cannot stress enough to do a 'user calibration' with Digital Video Essentials, Avia 2, or the Spears and Munsil setup disks.

I hope this helps...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #475 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jqpublic,

Yes...This is a known 'feature' of the Z5100 and XBR9 series. The phenomenon should actually be uniform across the whole screen. Sony, in their infinite wisdom, decided to program the sets to incrementally drop the backlight level when there is a dark screen. My assumption is that this was done to inflate contrast ratio specs.

You will notice a few seconds after a black screen (or starfield) shows up, the back-light will drop off bit by bit and then drastically drop off to close to zero. This issue was actually made more noticeable after one of the early firmware updates.

I don't notice it with normal programming. An exception that I noted was the opening sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

If you are noticing it often, I would make sure that your contrast and brightness levels are set properly. Also, having the back-light set too high will exacerbate the problem. I have mine set at 1. Though I have not tested it, the 'black corrector' feature may also play a hand in it. I have this circuit turned off.

I cannot stress enough to do a 'user calibration' with Digital Video Essentials, Avia 2, or the Spears and Munsil setup disks.

I hope this helps...Will

Will, you must watch your Z5100 in a very dark room to be able to get adequate back-light with a setting of "1". Such a low setting on my set while watching my favorite NFL team, the Denver Broncos, in a day game, severely mutes the colors and reduces the contrast, thus making it a crappy viewing experience. IMHO such radical settings are fine for watching DVDs in a very dark HT, but for daytime viewing of live HD content they produce an unsatisfactory viewing experience.

Which brings me to the use of calibration disks. Yes, they are essential for setting up your DVD or BD player for optimum movie viewing in your viewing environment. However, they are of minimal value in setting up your OTA HD DTV on-board antenna input or your DBS/cable HD receiver input since they are based on DVD recorded content rather than live HD and factor in the peculiarities of your player, which is not present when viewing the other two inputs. So, the disks might help a bit with the OTA and DBS/cable inputs, but otherwise, the setup for those inputs is really a user eyeball calibration unless you want to pay for a professional calibration that uses external, professional instruments to set gray scale, contrast, brightness, and color spectrum.

And I have to agree about the worthlessness of the Vivid setting. While the Samsung version of this, called Dynamic, was useful to "pump up" the contrast to overcome bright sunlight in the viewing room on my old HDTV, Vivid so distorts the colors, even in the brightest room environment, that it is pretty much completely worthless as an optional setting.
post #476 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

CEB II,

Our family/theater room is basically a cave. I'm waiting for the bats to start showing up for sleep in the morning.

The two windows in the room have 'black out' window treatments. Then, on top of those we have very thick curtains. If the room was big enough, I would already be saving up for an FP.

I do use a D65 fluorescent bulb behind the set as a bias light. Also, the wall behind is as neutral of a grey hue that I could find. This helps considerably with eye strain and does seem to improve black levels.

I should make sure that I mention that when I'm talking about back-light settings. I'm pretty certain that I did in the calibration/tweak section.

When it comes to OTA user settings, I just use the one of several pluge test patterns on one of the un-used sub-channels that are usually up most of the time. That way, I can at least do contrast, brightness, saturation and hue. With this set, I've become very comfortable with having sharpness from minimum to 5. If it's HD, I just set it to nil. SD, it depends a lot on the source but I've never taken it higher than 15.

Great to hear from you.

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #477 of 2287 Old 10-28-2009, 01:51 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jqpublic,

jqpublic was talking about the left and right edges, not the whole screen. My 40XBR9 does the same thing.
post #478 of 2287 Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

jqpublic was talking about the left and right edges, not the whole screen. My 40XBR9 does the same thing.

This is strange...It is also the first time I have heard about it. Is this phenomenon only occurring on 40" Z5100's? I can say for certain that I have not witnessed this problem. jqpublic... You said that you have seen this on other Z's and the XBR9, as well? I would really like to learn more about this.
Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #479 of 2287 Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 AM

Haven't checked out anything but 46 and 40" XBR and Z's but found the issue on every one I looked at in two stores. Really obvious on animation or continuous color backgrounds. Setting the backlight to 1, turning off all processing and bumping the gamma to 2 minimizes the problem. The problem is the same on all inputs, even photos.
post #480 of 2287 Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Hi Everyone,
I just picked up a KDL-52Z5100 and I love it. This is my first HDTV as I upgraded from a 38" Flat panel Toshiba. Football, soccer and baseball games (pretty much antyhing in HD) look so detailed and the Cinemotion effect is amazing. The only minor complaint is the lack of pip (used to having that feature on the Toshiba but I am survivng without it ) What is the preference when it comes to user calibration? Is one better than the other?

One last question, when using the Auto2 Motionflow function and high Cinemotion setting I swear I notice a little studder during fast movement sequences in movies or watching cable. My wife doesn't notice and says the picture is smooth. Am i crazy or has anyone noticed this? I'm probably looking for something wrong that isn't there
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page