Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter3 View Post

Well I'm not an owner...yet, but I have a question that I hope people can help me out with.

I went into Future Shot today and had a look at the KDL52Z5100. Unfortunately they only had their Future Shop ad playing so I couldn't really see it's capabilities (for sports like Hockey). However, they did have a W5100 playing The Ant Bully. It looked amazing...until the end credits. The credits were really jittery/studdery and it was doing it for both the 60Hz and 120Hz screens (I know the Z is 240Hz but from what I have read people don't seem to see a difference). I asked the sales guy about it and he said the disk might just be dirty **rolls eyes**. I would really like to upgrade my tv, but I don't want a jittery image, especially for sports, because it would drive me crazy and the remote would go through the screen, ha ha. I read in this thread about how people were finding that when they had MotionFlow set to high they were getting jittery images, but they turned it to normal and then it was fine...maybe this was the case with these credits?? My brother's 2 y/o Bravia is jittery during hockey games, and it drives me nuts!

Also, some one mentioned it but didn't explain...can someone explain why they have a Low, Normal, and High set point for MotionFlow? It's always processing to 120Hz/240Hz correct? So what does the Normal/High do?

I also noticed that on one of the Ant Bully Blu-ray menues the kid's head was above the menu choices and it was really pixely. You could clearly see 0.25"x0.25" squares. Can someone explain to my why? The rest of the menu was very clear but his head was pixely.

I just want to make sure I'll be happy with my new TV. If I constantly see jittery or pixely images I'll go crazy. Can someone also comment on the SD viewing with this tv? Would the jittery and pixely issues be worse on SD?

Thanks in advance!

I'll speak to some of your questions. First off, Motionflow is a frame interpolation system that attempts to create approximate frames of video between the actual (and relatively slow frames/second) frames of video (as opposed to the 240 Hz vs normal 60 Hz refresh rate). Therefore Off, Normal, or High set the amount of frame interpolation you want applied. Personally I think Normal works fine for almost all video sources and High may be a preference for DVD/BD watching if you personally like the video affect imposed on the film material.

In use on live sports, Normal seems to enhance the PQ without any artifacts that I've noticed. Using High on live sports is a mixed bag. It goes to high if you select Scene - Sports from the Scene control. Yesterday I did some crude testing and High seemed to enhance the PQ on Fox NFL, but created some pixelization or fuzz plus occasional frame stutter on CBS NFL (720p vs 1080i ?). So I stick with Motionflow on Normal for all of my viewing and don't see problems with it. Note that a problem I saw with jerky video earlier was related to the CineMotion setting (for movie 3:2 pulldown) and going to the Auto 2 setting solved that.

The bottom line IMHO is that leaving Motionflow set to Normal will enhance the PQ of live sports without any side affects. Leaving Motionflow Off will give you the same live sports PQ as cheaper LCD HDTVs that don't have such a feature (it's called Auto Motion on higher end Samsungs). Turning Motionflow to High for live sports ins a mixed bag so you can always try it and if it causes problems, turn it back to Normal. If live sports is your Gold Standard, then don't let Motionflow deter you from buying a Z5100, which does great for live sports (like watching the game through a picture window (i.e., very natural looking).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Wow...Sony is saying 10 mbps? That's just nuts!

Don't get me wrong...Some shows are better than others. I was getting really sick of Dish's HD-Lite, anyway. DTV and most, if not all, cable companies are the same. Massive compression.

Are you able to receive OTA HD? Besides HDM, it looks fantastic. Not near the compression that providers serve up.

If you already have Netflix, give it a try. Or you could use their two week trial...Will

Will, I picked up that 10 Mbs standard from the reference manuals for the current Sony BD models that can handle downloaded video (Netflix capable) like our Z5100 does. I couldn't find anything quantitative in the Z5100 literature, so I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that the video download hardware and software in the newest BD players is roughly equivalent to that on-board in the Z5100.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:04 PM

I have a question for everyone. How do I get the internet widgets to show up on TV. Do I need to have a wired ethernet connection, is there anyway to do it wirelessly??

I have a PS3 that will be attached to that TV, I know that has a wifi modem, can TV interact with the PS3 to get the internet connection. Please let me know, I dont want to spend the extra money on this TV since I dont have a wired jack anywhere near a TV.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the tv itself must be plugged in

Can someone explain the differnece between cinemotion auto 1 vs motionflow.

Whats the point of auto 1 if you have motionflow? don't they sort of do the same thing?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Potential problem alert. As most of you know, I downloaded the 143 update when my TV indicated an update was available. No problems for several days, BUT yesterday evening after having the set on for about 12 hours, it shut itself off. The wife was able to restart it fine and I haven't seen it do it again. However, this was an issue in the with the early software (back in June) that was supposedly fixed a couple of updates back. I sure hope that in coding revision 143 that the Sony programmers didn't undo the fix they already had (not as uncommon as you might think; Apple was infamous for that from update to update years ago with the Classic software and early versions of OS X).

My TV has frozen and shut off on me before even with the 109 update. It was never really resolved. Its only happen three times in the 6 months ive owned it though
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I've never used Netflix streaming capabilities before.
This tv has the option, so I registered for it and tried streaming some movies.
After I finally got it working (it kept hanging on me and wouldn't play the movies),
it plays the movies fine now, but they are letterboxed with black bars on all sides.
The first movie looked like a postage stamp compared to the size of the tv. The second movie was a little bigger, but still about a size of 26" compared to the 46" size of the tv.
Surely this is not the way it's supposed to be???
I searched the Netflix site, and could find absolutely nothing about this scenario, and they offer no help at all outside of calling them on the phone .
I HATE talking to CSRs on the phone! Trying to fix a problem, I usually know 100 times more about the product than they do, they offer no real help, and then I end up fixing the problem myself.
This time though, I'm stumped.
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

After I finally got it working (it kept hanging on me and wouldn't play the movies),
it plays the movies fine now, but they are letterboxed with black bars on all sides.
The first movie looked like a postage stamp compared to the size of the tv. The second movie was a little bigger, but still about a size of 26" compared to the 46" size of the tv.
I searched the Netflix site, and could find absolutely nothing about this scenario, and they offer no help at all outside of calling them on the phone .
I HATE talking to CSRs on the phone! Trying to fix a problem, I usually know 100 times more about the product than they do, they offer no real help, and then I end up fixing the problem myself.

you try pressin the wide button on the remote?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

you try pressin the wide button on the remote?

Message pops up on screen that states the function is not available for that input.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM

I have a question and I'm hoping to find owners with a similar experience and maybe a solution.

I just picked up a Z5100 along with an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver. I got the receiver a few days before the tv was delivered , and in that time nothing unusual happened. After the tv arrived, I was happy to find out that the tv and receiver could communicate via CEC (marketing jargon be damned!). The Z5100 immediately recognized my SR607 and turned off its speakers, they both turn on/off in sync, etc. It almost (but not quite!) obviates the need for my harmony remote

But since the Z5100 arrived, both the receiver and the tv have started randomly turning on for 5-15 seconds, then turning off again. Neither the tv nor the receiver turn *off* while I'm using them, but when they're both off, this odd behavior begins. So, has anyone experienced this problem with the Z5100? I'm inclined to think the tv is the problem for two reasons: first, the receiver never exhibited this behavior for the four days I had it set up until the tv arrived. Second, the tv was purchased through Amazon's warehouse deals. Granted the tv came in perfect condition, but of the problem with it is that it randomly turns on (and brings cec-enabled devices with it), well that is exactly the kind of problem I would expect joe warehouse guy to not catch when he is "re-certifying" a tv.

Anyways, before I return the tv using amazon's awesome return policy, iras hoping some else on this forum could at least confirm that they've had similar issues.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Since it seems that most, if not all companies have their own proprietary HDMI CEC system, I have found this to be normal. I have the predecessor to your Onkyo 607, the 605. The behavior you describe has happened to me since the day I discovered the Sony and Onkyo's HDMI compatibility. Every hour or two, the Onkyo will turn on for about 10 seconds, then shut off.

And before anyone starts breaking my b*lls about posting at 2AM, let me explain...My doctor changed a medication of mine and it seems to have this nasty, albeit (allegedly) temporary side-effect of insomnia. :-)

Good evening, or morning...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Message pops up on screen that states the function is not available for that input.

The up and down buttons (those surrounding the circle button in the middle of the remote) serve as zoom in and zoom out for the Netflix content.

Hopefully that fixes things for you. Mine defaulted to full screen, so it's interesting that your did not.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakst8 View Post

The up and down buttons (those surrounding the circle button in the middle of the remote) serve as zoom in and zoom out for the Netflix content.

Hopefully that fixes things for you. Mine defaulted to full screen, so it's interesting that your did not.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of hitting those buttons.
The tv just arrived a few days ago, and was damaged in shipping.
Seller told me to play with it, so I did.
FedEx picked it up this morning, and I'll try Netflix again when the replacement unit arrives.
Thanks for the info.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

The behavior you describe has happened to me since the day I discovered the Sony and Onkyo's HDMI compatibility. Every hour or two, the Onkyo will turn on for about 10 seconds, then shut off.

Thanks for the fast reply, Will! While I'm glad that someone else is experiencing the same problem as me (well maybe not glad...), I have to wonder if the problem would be fixed by having the TV replaced, or alternatively getting another model or even another brand.

The issue is particularly annoying since the TiVo is always on so I get snippets of whatever is being recorded at that moment at all hours of the night. It also happens more frequently to me than to you, as my rig turns itself on every 5-10 minutes.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherfluke View Post

Thanks for the fast reply, Will! While I'm glad that someone else is experiencing the same problem as me (well maybe not glad...), I have to wonder if the problem would be fixed by having the TV replaced, or alternatively getting another model or even another brand.

The issue is particularly annoying since the TiVo is always on so I get snippets of whatever is being recorded at that moment at all hours of the night. It also happens more frequently to me than to you, as my rig turns itself on every 5-10 minutes.

I'm confused here. If the problem is the CEC funtion, and you have a Harmony remote as you say, why not just disable the CEC and use the Harmony to turn everything on with the press of one button?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I'm confused here. If the problem is the CEC funtion, and you have a Harmony remote as you say, why not just disable the CEC and use the Harmony to turn everything on with the press of one button?

What would be the fun in that?

Yes, I could use my harmony remote. But I'd be giving up on one of the features that appealed to me in the first place. I'd rather use CEC than rely on the harmony; it feels like cheating. Alternatively, my setup is still new enough that I'm not sure I'll continue to have all HDMI devices running through my receiver (as I do now), or going through my TV so I can take advantage of input-specific picture settings, or if I want to use sequence buttons on my harmony remote to adjust picture settings.

I guess my point is that I have several potential workarounds for this problem, and I'd prefer not to have "CEC sucks" as one of the variables as I make my decision on how to best set up my HT. This is especially true if in fact CEC doesn't suck, and the problem exhibited by my tv/avr combo is actually a sign of a larger problem that will rear its ugly head 366 days later.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherfluke View Post

I have a question and I'm hoping to find owners with a similar experience and maybe a solution.

I just picked up a Z5100 along with an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver. I got the receiver a few days before the tv was delivered , and in that time nothing unusual happened. After the tv arrived, I was happy to find out that the tv and receiver could communicate via CEC (marketing jargon be damned!). The Z5100 immediately recognized my SR607 and turned off its speakers, they both turn on/off in sync, etc. It almost (but not quite!) obviates the need for my harmony remote

But since the Z5100 arrived, both the receiver and the tv have started randomly turning on for 5-15 seconds, then turning off again. Neither the tv nor the receiver turn *off* while I'm using them, but when they're both off, this odd behavior begins. So, has anyone experienced this problem with the Z5100? I'm inclined to think the tv is the problem for two reasons: first, the receiver never exhibited this behavior for the four days I had it set up until the tv arrived. Second, the tv was purchased through Amazon's warehouse deals. Granted the tv came in perfect condition, but of the problem with it is that it randomly turns on (and brings cec-enabled devices with it), well that is exactly the kind of problem I would expect joe warehouse guy to not catch when he is "re-certifying" a tv.

Anyways, before I return the tv using amazon's awesome return policy, iras hoping some else on this forum could at least confirm that they've had similar issues.

Is your Z5100's software up-to-date? Latest revision is 143. If not, update it and see if that affects your problem. What you describe sounds like an incompatibility issue, not a problem with the Sony Z5100.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if also it might be due to some slight power fluctuations in the AC lines.
If there is anything on the same breaker/fuse as the HT system, then it could effect the power, and cause ever so slight fluctuations... enough so that if one of the components is a bit oversensitive, it might pick up that flux and come ON for a brief moment.
Just as well, there could be dirty power in the whole house, also causing the same problem.
A good surge suppressor with line conditioning might fix it, or even adding a whole house line conditioner.
This is all just speculation I'm trowing out there for consideration.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, I just updated to firmware pn0143 based on a message I got from the tv itself. But interestingly, the Sony website still lists pn109 as the most recent update. Seems like an easy chore to keep these aligned...

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:

The down arrow button and uparrow buttons change the size of the netflix streamed movies.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweber View Post

The down arrow button and uparrow buttons change the size of the netflix streamed movies.

Thanks man.
I give it another try when my replacement tv arrives.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 11-26-2009, 12:29 PM

I am trying to decide between W or Z. There is a $100 difference. Opinions?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:53 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

Z: 240Hz and 10bit color.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Don't forget about the uber cool Sony logo that lights up on the front of the tv.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1199103
Old 11-27-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Where do you see the $100 difference?? ns most places I see about $200 - $300 difference.

Overall what is a good price for this TV, I see that its MSRP is $2499 and its currently on sale for $1949, what do you think the price could be negotiated down to?? Is $1200 - $1400 a possibility??
Old 11-27-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles4LifeV View Post

Where do you see the $100 difference?? ns most places I see about $200 - $300 difference.

Overall what is a good price for this TV, I see that its MSRP is $2499 and its currently on sale for $1949, what do you think the price could be negotiated down to?? Is $1200 - $1400 a possibility??

No. I don't think so. Not for the 52". My guess would be $1900-$2000. It listed at $3099.00 in June, man, these things depreciate fast!

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Well, I finally took the step and bought a 52Z5100 (thanks to amazon for having a great deal, met my price and threw in a nice extra )...

I haven't received it yet but am starting to rearrange the living room... I was wondering how far I should set the tv up from the main viewing spot. I can either set it up for 10 feet or 16 feet. As I very much love watching movies ( I am very much a suspend disbelief follower when watching movies), I'm hoping I can do 10 feet, but am worried that 10 is too close. Anyone care to share thoughts/opinions on this?

BTW, great thread, this is the main reason I settled on the Z
Old 11-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:

The price difference will depend on what size you are thinking off. I would say go with the price that makes you comfortable. I would also suggest that you spend time looking at prices. I first picked a price that I was comfortable with and then decided to see what I could get for it. I was able to get the tv I REALLY wanted and got an extra thrown in for the price I was looking for (I have to be honest, I based my price on a bundle that I had previously seen but missed out on).

As for deciding between W and Z, read the reviews. I settled on the Z because it appears to have far fewer issues than the W does. Course, I won't really know until I get mine

Regardless, good luck with your decision and purchase!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 AM

Speaker Settings? I just picked up a LG BD390 Blu Ray player and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the speakers. I have a 5.1 system that tests fine, but when I play movies, I don't get any sound out of the rear speakers. If I switch over to watching TV, I can heard the sound out of the rear speakers. I've looked at all the settings for the Z5100 but can't see any issues. I'm running HDMI from Blu Ray to Denon - 1910. I also tried optical but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoras View Post

Well, I finally took the step and bought a 52Z5100 (thanks to amazon for having a great deal, met my price and threw in a nice extra )...

I haven't received it yet but am starting to rearrange the living room... I was wondering how far I should set the tv up from the main viewing spot. I can either set it up for 10 feet or 16 feet. As I very much love watching movies ( I am very much a suspend disbelief follower when watching movies), I'm hoping I can do 10 feet, but am worried that 10 is too close. Anyone care to share thoughts/opinions on this?

BTW, great thread, this is the main reason I settled on the Z

Ten feet is fine for a 52" HDTV. At 16 feet, you pretty much lose the affect of 1080p.