Official Sony KDL-XXZ5100 Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get that once in a while, once per day or two. When I change the channel back and forth the problem goes away...
Anybody seen this, should I exchange the set? Opinions greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

I get that once in a while, once per day or two. When I change the channel back and forth the problem goes away...

Never seen that before, and I have had my set for 3 months now...

I would call Sony and exchange it.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #723 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I have not read the manual yet. I take it each input holds their own settings?

Yes, each input holds its own settings.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #724 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM

After calibration, this will be flawless!

post #725 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Castaban, I am in Whiby and I use Rogers. Are you with Rogers. I have not noticed that happening yet, but I don't use the set that often yet either. The first thing I'd do is have the cable company test the signal strength. (If it is cable) But do it fast if you are in your first 30 days. If you are uncertain I'd exchange it just to be safe.
post #726 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 AM

It is unlikely the source signal. My previous TV never did that before. It will stay at this stage forever. It will be OK once I change the channels back and forth or turn the TV off/on
post #727 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
^ That looks like bad handshaking error between the STB and TV.
Just to be safe, I would exchange it personally, or it would drive me crazy thinking the set was defective.
If the the new set does it too?... then it is something you'll have to live with unless your STB gets a fw update to fix it... or you buy a different TV.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #728 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM

I am using component connection, can there be a handshake error then (analog signal)...
post #729 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using component connection, can there be a handshake error then (analog signal)...

No, not with component cables. I can see why someone would ask that because it looks like a digital issue. I would try swapping out component cables. Then try switching to another component input if that doesn't solve the problem. Also, check to see if this happens when you connect via composite or S-video. Definitely do everything you can to rule out a lesser component (cables or cable box) first.

I've got to tell you I don't like the looks of that. It's probably because I've never seen anything quite like it before. It's odd how in this picture it is only effecting the upper left corner. When this happens, is it always like that? I just went back to the picture and I see that it is screwing up on the right side too. Hmmm...Don't take this as gospel but I'm thinking that it is the TV. Make sure you rule everything else out, first. It's quite odd that just portions of the picture are messy while other sections (like the cable menu) look fine. Maybe it's not the TV? You'll have to excuse me. I'm thinking and switching back and forth to the photo and where I'm typing this post.

I honestly would not expect to see something like this with an analog connection.

I wish I could be of more assistance...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #730 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Actually come to think off it, it happened a few times when I put Internet widgets on and off again afterwards. That takes cables and STB out of the question right? And leaves TV as the only culprit. Considering I have this another intermittent problem http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=688 from post 688 (which by the way nobody commented) I think the TV is going back to be replaced by another one. I am still within 30 days...
post #731 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

Castaban, I am in Whiby and I use Rogers. Are you with Rogers. I have not noticed that happening yet, but I don't use the set that often yet either. The first thing I'd do is have the cable company test the signal strength. (If it is cable) But do it fast if you are in your first 30 days. If you are uncertain I'd exchange it just to be safe.

Try going to your cable company and getting another box. that may help. If its not happening with any other source such as your dvd player or blu ray/game etc, i would think it has more to do with the box than your set. Does your Cable box have an hdmi input you could try?
post #732 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Actually come to think off it, it happened a few times when I put Internet widgets on and off again afterwards. That takes cables and STB out of the question right? And leaves TV as the only culprit. Considering I have this another intermittent problem http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=688 from post 688 (which by the way nobody commented) I think the TV is going back to be replaced by another one. I am still within 30 days...

Looks like sync issue with analog signal. That could happen when switching input or changing resolution but if it happens once the TV is sysnced to the signal there could be an issue either with source, cables or the TV set.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #733 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Can anyone tell me how to remove / delete old dlna server link in Z' menu?

I have tried a couple different dlna servers software to see which one work better with my new 52Z5100, after that z5100 keeps those icons / links to the servers I have uninstalled, just showing "offline", I can't figure out a way to remove those links that I no longer need. It keeps those links even I unplug the power....

Appreciate any help!!
post #734 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 View Post

Can anyone tell me how to remove / delete old dlna server link in Z' menu?

I have tried a couple different dlna servers software to see which one work better with my new 52Z5100, after that z5100 keeps those icons / links to the servers I have uninstalled, just showing "offline", I can't figure out a way to remove those links that I no longer need. It keeps those links even I unplug the power....

Appreciate any help!!

Sure. Go to 'Settings' > 'Network' > 'Show/Hide Media Servers'. Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #735 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Well, I jumped in with the crazy promo at BB and bought the 52Z and PS3 bundle. Unfortunately I have to wait until next Thursday for delivery of the TV as they were out of stock, but I am anxiously awaiting getting my hands on it and seeing it in my own home.

Thanks for your help, I will use Will's settings as a starting point and let you guys know what I think!

--CarlRx
post #736 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRx View Post

Well, I jumped in with the crazy promo at BB and bought the 52Z and PS3 bundle. Unfortunately I have to wait until next Thursday for delivery of the TV as they were out of stock, but I am anxiously awaiting getting my hands on it and seeing it in my own home.

Thanks for your help, I will use Will's settings as a starting point and let you guys know what I think!

--CarlRx

Welcome to the z-club Carl. I think you'll be pleased with your choice. It's an awesome tv. We just need to get someone to get it officially ISF calibrated so we can start sharing some settings and not relying on Will all the time! I would volunteer, but I blew my tv budget on the set itself, and the spousal unit would balk at another few hundred dollars!

post #737 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRx View Post

--CarlRx

Yes, welcome to the club, Carl!! I know you will love your new rig. The PS3 is still considered one of the top Blu-Ray players being made and it looks great on the Z.

Is it just me, or did the membership in our little club increase exponentially in the past two weeks? I think it's great to have so many more great folks here.

Welcome, one and all...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #738 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Yes, welcome to the club, Carl!! I know you will love your new rig. The PS3 is still considered one of the top Blu-Ray players being made and it looks great on the Z.

Is it just me, or did the membership in our little club increase exponentially in the past two weeks? I think it's great to have so many more great folks here.

Yes, it seems there is much more activity here lately...maybe some xmas presents are being delivered early by Santa???

post #739 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I have to say Will you are an extremely helpful and contributing member on this thread. Very glad we have someone like yourself on here! I am going a bit crazy waiting for my 52Z to be delivered. Purchased the damn thing a week ago and will be delivered this coming Saturday. I also got my dad to purchase a 46w5100 PS3 package deal from BB as well lol...
post #740 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM

Picked up the z5100 and the picture looks very good. I wanted to ask if anyone has used the xbox360 as a wireless adapter to the z5100. I've got the ethernet cable between the xbox and tv, but cannot get the internet access to be recognized.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
post #741 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Sure. Go to 'Settings' > 'Network' > 'Show/Hide Media Servers'. Regards...Will

Cool, I will give it a try when I get home, thanks!
post #742 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincojoe View Post

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the Sony 52Z5100! Will be delivered sometime next week. I was wondering if any could give me some tips on setup. I'll probably just follow Will's setup but do I need let it burn in for some time before finally settling on a setup? Or just jump right in it?

I also didn't buy any HDMI cables because I remember reading that I should buy those expensive ones? The ones Best Buy were selling were all $100 plus. Any reccomendations on a good HDMI cable that won't cost $100????

Well it's up and running! I must say just out of the box the picture is very nice.

During the setup it asked me if i wanted home or retail mode? does this really make a diff which one i choose?
post #743 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it's up and running! I must say just out of the box the picture is very nice.

During the setup it asked me if i wanted home or retail mode? does this really make a diff which one i choose?

Yes! Definitely choose HOME mode and be sure the picture setting is off of VIVID (i.e., Standard will do until you do your own Custom settings or you can modify Standard settings to your liking if you are just tweaking).
post #744 of 2287 Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmtaa View Post

CEB III, the BB bundle comes with a Sony-Blu-ray Disc Player with 1080p Output-BDP-S560, and Sony-BRAVIA 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Blu-ray Disc Player-BDVE300

Thanks for the info. I figured that the bundles would all include the S360 since it is the cheapest and is being phased out. You got a good deal with that bundle including an S560. I'm still leaning strongly toward the Sony N460 as the price is right and the only owner's complaints I've seen are with regard to not having on-board WiFi connectivity (I don't care), not having more on-line services available (some people are never satisfied), and NetFlix streaming being less than ideal (a function of internet connections and the state of the streaming technology). None of the major issues is an issue for me as all I want is the best BD PQ and up-scaling PQ that I can get at my price point, plus compatibility with my Z5100 is also nice.
post #745 of 2287 Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:

There have been some great bundle deals lately which made this TV too tempting to resist. For me, I had been in the market for quite a while and when I saw the chance to get 52Z5100 (and the 960 megachanger 'thrown' in) for the price point that I had set for just the LCD, I jumped at it. When considering just the price, there have been even better deals at BB lately.

I also wanted to take this time to say to echo the thanks to you and CEB II (among others) the information the two of you have shared has been invaluable. Thank you
post #746 of 2287 Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post

I have to say Will you are an extremely helpful and contributing member on this thread. Very glad we have someone like yourself on here! I am going a bit crazy waiting for my 52Z to be delivered. Purchased the damn thing a week ago and will be delivered this coming Saturday. I also got my dad to purchase a 46w5100 PS3 package deal from BB as well lol...

Well...Thank you very kindly! I am quite humbled.
We all help each other quite a bit here.
Best regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #747 of 2287 Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoras View Post

I also wanted to take this time to say to echo the thanks to you and CEB II (among others) the information the two of you have shared has been invaluable. Thank you

DITTO! Thanks CEB and Will for all your help and info. You guys make it so easy for us LED newbs
post #748 of 2287 Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoras View Post

There have been some great bundle deals lately which made this TV too tempting to resist. For me, I had been in the market for quite a while and when I saw the chance to get 52Z5100 (and the 960 megachanger 'thrown' in) for the price point that I had set for just the LCD, I jumped at it. When considering just the price, there have been even better deals at BB lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Thanks for the info. I figured that the bundles would all include the S360 since it is the cheapest and is being phased out. You got a good deal with that bundle including an S560. I'm still leaning strongly toward the Sony N460 as the price is right and the only owner's complaints I've seen are with regard to not having on-board WiFi connectivity (I don't care), not having more on-line services available (some people are never satisfied), and NetFlix streaming being less than ideal (a function of internet connections and the state of the streaming technology). None of the major issues is an issue for me as all I want is the best BD PQ and up-scaling PQ that I can get at my price point, plus compatibility with my Z5100 is also nice.

I got that same bundle. Im curious, how is the BluRay player in the receiver? Is it as good or better that the stand alone S560?
post #749 of 2287 Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Hmmm...

That pattern looks exactly like the pattern I saw the other day when I was fooling around on my Xbox and set the video to 1080p going into a standard def Trinitron.
post #750 of 2287 Old 12-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DITTO! Thanks CEB and Will for all your help and info. You guys make it so easy for us LED newbs

You mean LCD, not LED, right?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page