Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2287 Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

Has any one played any Video games w/ 240 hz on?? Could an owner plz run try or test for me... Had an 52b750 and it was horrible w/240hz on gaming, Thank You

Thats going to create alot of input lag. Game mode should be on which disables motionflow all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2287 Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Well I got my 40Z5100 today from Sony (Finally). It was completely damaged by a fork lift so the shipping company took it back. Besides being in a terribly bad mood i was very impressed the tv at first glance. The bezel was much more compact and thinner then my 40v4100. Looked better in every way. The screen was alot more glossy. It almost looked like glass but didn't really have much reflection on it. Hopefully ill have a new one by the end of the week and i can write up a review and help answer some questions.
post #63 of 2287 Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempletonPeck View Post

What exactly is smearing?

Just another name that people use for trailing.
post #64 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 40Z5100 last night, wondering if anyone has their calibrations yet?
post #65 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Cole View Post

Just got my 40Z5100 last night, wondering if anyone has their calibrations yet?

Setup is different for each input stream (HDMI, component, DTV antenna) and each source (live HD, film HD, SD, etc.) within that input stream. Why don't you try running it according to the owners manual and see how you like it. I'd be particularly interested in what you think of Sony's setup for live sports in HD, HDMI or DTV antenna input.

I've been into HDTV for six years now and IMHO, this calibration thing is way over-blown. It may be worth the effort to optimize the settings for watching your DVDs or BD as those pose additional challenges, but for most of your TV watching, the manufacturer has already optimized a set of settings for different inputs and different source material. The old story that all new HDTVs come from the factory totally un-calibrated and no two have the same hardware and firmware is really an "urban legend" for the technophiles.
post #66 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM

CEB, I was thinking the same thing. It looked pretty good out of the box and ultimately isn't it all about personal opinion of what looks best to you or me? I guess I'm wondering about things like noise filter, motionflow, etc., that I know nothing about. Also, I heard that as I just have an old DVD player , that no matter what I do, my DVD's will look like crap because they're 480 and not 1080, is this true and is there any way to improve the look? Lastly I have Directv HD and ESPN is 720, does that mean it will never look quite right? Thanks.
post #67 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

I can get the 46" S5100 for about $500 off at my local Real Canadian Superstore with points and I'm wondering since this is the lowest of these 5100 sets, how will it do as an HTPC and for gaming? I will be outputting 720p/1080p files from my pc to play on this and gaming at 1920x1080.

Does this tv lack anything that's absolutely necessary for an HTPC Display?
post #68 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM

I'm looking at this TV for Father's day. My dad is in DIRE need of an upgrade from his non-flat screen CRT. So far it looks pretty good. [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG]
post #69 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

Thats going to create alot of input lag. Game mode should be on which disables motionflow all together.

Ok 1st of all I know of this but, I am used to lag on sammys 08' 120hz(its AMP works awesome)..Seconed of all thats why I am intrested in this model is the 240hz & GAMES..I dont give a crap about game mode never have and never will use that(disables too may features)...Im sure if you have experienced a good truemotion 120hz or 240hz you would feel like your missing out big on the smoothness If you are A hardcore gamer..IMHO

So can someone plz play this w/240hz on to see how bad artifacts are on games..Screen tearing, ghosting, Pausing/jumping pic. etc.. Thank You..

I have been asking this question alot and have not recieved a legit answer just abunch of BS.. I have had many tv sets and have allways went out of my way to help a fellow member..So can u help me plz??
post #70 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Ok 1st of all I know of this but, I am used to lag on sammys 08' 120hz(its AMP works awesome)..Seconed of all thats why I am intrested in this model is the 240hz & GAMES..I dont give a crap about game mode never have and never will use that(disables too may features)...Im sure if you have experienced a good truemotion 120hz or 240hz you would feel like your missing out big on the smoothness If you are A hardcore gamer..IMHO

So can someone plz play this w/240hz on to see how bad artifacts are on games..Screen tearing, ghosting, Pausing/jumping pic. etc.. Thank You..

I have been asking this question alot and have not recieved a legit answer just abunch of BS.. I have had many tv sets and have allways went out of my way to help a fellow member..So can u help me plz??

If no one answers you by the end of the week i will, there sending me a new tv because the one i just got was damaged. Just be patient.
post #71 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post

I can get the 46" S5100 for about $500 off at my local Real Canadian Superstore with points and I'm wondering since this is the lowest of these 5100 sets, how will it do as an HTPC and for gaming? I will be outputting 720p/1080p files from my pc to play on this and gaming at 1920x1080.

Does this tv lack anything that's absolutely necessary for an HTPC Display?

You should check with the S5100 forums. But the TV should be fine as a PC monitor (Currently using V4100 as one)
post #72 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:

CEB, I was thinking the same thing. It looked pretty good out of the box and ultimately isn't it all about personal opinion of what looks best to you or me? I guess I'm wondering about things like noise filter, motionflow, etc., that I know nothing about. Also, I heard that as I just have an old DVD player , that no matter what I do, my DVD's will look like crap because they're 480 and not 1080, is this true and is there any way to improve the look? Lastly I have Directv HD and ESPN is 720, does that mean it will never look quite right? Thanks.

720p will look fine. Getting an upscale dvd player will improve standard dvd quality.
post #73 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, most of viewing preference is personal opinion. The other factor I failed to mention is your viewing room conditions. For example, if you "calibrate" your TV to look outstanding showing DVD movies in a pitch black theatre room, then most will find your setup too dark for even movie viewing in a normally lit room (e.g., indirect daylight). This was a big problem with professional calibrations a few years back. Now the calibrators ask what input you want calibrated for what kind of video material under what viewing room conditions. Out-of-the-box these HDTVs are optimized for HD video or live material via HDMI or the DTV antenna connection and pretty much assume a lower lighting level in the room (not dark or theatre-like).

My Z5100 gets delivered Friday and that will be my first, first-hand experience with MotionFlow. From what I've read for over a year, it seems like the use of MotionFlow (or AMP on the Sammys) gets down to personal preference, with the majority seeming to like a normal or low input of it.

I prefer to keep digital noise reduction (noise filters) on, particularly if the video material is Standard Definition (SD) and not HD. Some think they interfere with HDTV video and/or movie video, but I say try it both ways and decide for yourself. I've not seen any advantage to turning them off on any of the HDTVs I've owned and I have seen advantages to having them on at times.

Playing SD DVDs on a SD DVD player on an HDTV depends on several factors. First of which is your HDTV's ability to display that kind of material. Some HDTVs (usually the cheaper ones) are single focused on HDTV PQ and ignore SD and DVD PQ. Consumer Reports rates for PQ in all three areas and it does matter. Unfortunately, we don't have a CR evaluation of the Sony Z5100's capabilities, but CNET did note good SD performance for the XBR9, which has near-identical video hardware. So I'm hoping the Z5100 is good with SD (480i) and DVD (480p).

Probably the next most important thing with an old DVD player is the cable connection to the HDTV. If it is connected via component video connections (red, green, blue), you will probably do alright. If it is s-video or composite video, forget it, the DVDs aren't going to look very good until you upgrade your cabling connection, assuming the player has component video out. If your player has an option for progressive scan on or off, try it both ways. Often having progressive scan off gives the better PQ because the HDTV does all the de-interlacing and up-converting and, with a high quality HDTV like the Z5100, it does it about as well as can be done.

Assuming the DirecTV HD receiver is like a Dish HD receiver, there is a Menu setting where you can chose the input resolution of the HD video material. Most folks set it to 1080i and let the DBS HD receiver convert the 720p inputs to 1080i. Your HDTV then de-interlaces the 1080i to give you 1080p. That is usually fine for most. However, if there is something really important to watch on ESPN for example, change the DBS HD receiver's setting to output 720p. That way, your DirecTV receiver won't change anything on the ESPN stream and your expensive HDTV will do all the up-converting work, probably giving you the best HD PQ for ESPN possible.
post #74 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I don't do games. Someone else will have to help you.
post #75 of 2287 Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Sorry, I don't do games. Someone else will have to help you.

I appreciate you taking your time to respond CEB II
Hope fully someone will be able to get back to me on this thx..
post #76 of 2287 Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 AM

CEB, very informative, thanks a lot. I've got to find the input resolution menu.
post #77 of 2287 Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

My 52Z5100 should be here by Friday. It is Sony's consolation prize for my KDS R60XBR2 that goes through optical blocks like people change underwear. I'm pretty psyched about the set. I have seen the Z at a couple of B&M stores and it looks awesome. What I would have liked to have seen is the Z next to an XBR9. I would assume there would not be that much of a difference, other than the XBR having the wide color gamut back-lighting. I have read everything from that there would be a 'significant difference' to 'it's not even noticeable'.

Have any of you fine folks seen these displays side by side? I'm understandably curious. There's only a $300.00 difference between the Z5100 and the 'flagship'. Since there is no way I could afford the upgrade to the real 'flagship', the XBR8, which as you know is considered the best Sony LCD flat panel out there, the 9 would be as high as I could go. I just hope I didn't make a mistake by not going all the way and stepping up.

Has anyone seen both sets together? Are there any current Z5100 series owners that are kicking themselves by not going with the 9? I feel pretty comfortable but I like to hear from you guys as well. Thoughts?

Regards...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #78 of 2287 Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

My 52Z5100 should be here by Friday. It is Sony's consolation prize for my KDS R60XBR2 that goes through optical blocks like people change underwear. I'm pretty psyched about the set. I have seen the Z at a couple of B&M stores and it looks awesome. What I would have liked to have seen is the Z next to an XBR9. I would assume there would not be that much of a difference, other than the XBR having the wide color gamut back-lighting. I have read everything from that there would be a 'significant difference' to 'it's not even noticeable'.

Have any of you fine folks seen these displays side by side? I'm understandably curious. There's only a $300.00 difference between the Z5100 and the 'flagship'. Since there is no way I could afford the upgrade to the real 'flagship', the XBR8, which as you know is considered the best Sony LCD flat panel out there, the 9 would be as high as I could go. I just hope I didn't make a mistake by not going all the way and stepping up.

Has anyone seen both sets together? Are there any current Z5100 series owners that are kicking themselves by not going with the 9? I feel pretty comfortable but I like to hear from you guys as well. Thoughts?

Regards...Will

We saw them both at UE and the neither the wife nor I could tell any difference in PQ between them. The UE sales associate made no attempt to up sell us on the XBR9 as he felt they were comparable sets with the XBR9 just having a couple of extra do-dads for the money. My wife liked the external appearance of the Z5100 better and it was about $130 cheaper at the time, so we went with the Z5100.

Unless those two do-dads (something with photos and the TV and something for use with an external digital video source (digital camcorder) are important to you or you like the blue/silver bezel instead of the black bezel or you just want to say you have a Sony XBR, there really isn't any point in buying the XBR9 instead of the Z5100. Only a color analyzer can tell that the XBR9 has the wide color gamut CCFL, people can't tell.
post #79 of 2287 Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

My KDL-52Z5100 was delivered about noon last Friday. So far the wife and I are very impressed. I'll provide some specific review comments shortly, but suffice it to say for now that the Z5100 is a more than adequate, non-glossy screen alternative, to the excellent Samsung B750. If you really like the Samsung B750, but can't live with the mirror glass screen (we couldn't), the Z5100 is the answer for great PQ with virtually no reflections, and at a similar price to the B750.

Just to keep the complainers happy, the three biggest complaints I have with the Z5100 are the on-screen menu, the manual and reference guide, and the auto shutoff feature. The former is confusing and takes way too long to get to some items I like to access frequently. The second provides little information regarding how to use various settings to optimize PQ and performance. Finally, while one can program the TV to come on at a certain time on certain days or every day, one CAN NOT program the TV to automatically shut off at a given time each day. One has to wait until 120 minutes before you want to shut off the TV, then program it each night to go off in 120 minutes. What a PITA and quite surprising for a TV at this price point. What was Sony thinking?

As for big pluses, I watched both of the French Open finals Saturday and Sunday morning with the Scene set to Sports and it was like I was standing behind Roger Federer. Also checked out Game #2 of the NBA Championship and a Colorado Rockies game. This TV is absolutely awesome for live sporting events, which is to me the most important thing I watch on TV.
post #80 of 2287 Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

CEB II,

Thank you kindly for your thoughts on the Z5100. I had already felt pretty good about the decision. The opinions and reviews from others (very few) I have read about the display echo what you stated, verbatim.

Friday cannot come soon enough! I am Mr. Instant Gratification! I cannot wait days for a delivery!

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #81 of 2287 Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

CEB II,

Thank you kindly for your thoughts on the Z5100. I had already felt pretty good about the decision. The opinions and reviews from others (very few) I have read about the display echo what you stated, verbatim.

Friday cannot come soon enough! I am Mr. Instant Gratification! I cannot wait days for a delivery!

Regards...Will

I did forget to note that the XBR9 has better on-board speakers, at least on paper. I never got to hear the XBR9's speakers, but I have used the Z5100's speakers a few times already and I'd say they are about average for flat panel TV speakers. Not bad, just nothing to write home about. Of course most folks getting a large flat panel HDTV are connecting it to at least a DD5.1 sound system, so the on-board speakers aren't a big deal either way. With the Z5100 they are easy enough to turn on and off that I use them sometimes in the morning when I don't want to bother cranking up the whole system. Saves some KWHs and doesn't detract from the pleasure of using the Z5100.
post #82 of 2287 Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Post pics, guys
post #83 of 2287 Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd29 View Post

Post pics, guys

I'll be happy to as soon as NVC delivers my 52Z. It's supposed to be here anywhere between this Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday. I'll be scaling back everything, with a bulk if the equipment in the computer room. All I will have in the family room is the 52Z, an Onkyo 605, a PS3, an HD-XA2 and the six speakers.

I've never had this small of a setup. And its never looked or sounded this good.

As soon as I get it out of the box, I'll snap the pics...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #84 of 2287 Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got confirmation that my 52Z5100 will be delivered tomorrow! Just in time for game 7 of The Stanley Cup Finals. And...The unit shipped from Pittsburgh! This has got to be a good sign.

I'll have pics up either tomorrow or Saturday...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #85 of 2287 Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

one CAN NOT program the TV to automatically shut off at a given time each day. One has to wait until 120 minutes before you want to shut off the TV, then program it each night to go off in 120 minutes. What a PITA and quite surprising for a TV at this price point. What was Sony thinking?

If true, this would be the first Sony TV with off/on timer that works this way. Are you sure there is not a separate menu for TIMER/CLOCK where you can set specific on/off times? Did you SET the Clock?? If the clock is not set I could see the default off time being not clock based. but I'd assume all newer TVs have automatic clock setting. The Auto shutoff feature IS new, but I can't believe they did away with true off/on timers. I use that feature a lot, as an alarm clock and when out of town to cycle on and off. Actually, I guess both of my uses would not be affected by the strange auto-off feature you describe though. In the past it was very hard to find ON timers, so I'm glad Sony is still offering that. Sleep/off timers are common but less useful to me.
just reacting. timers are a big issue with my TVs. Sony has been one of the few with full timers.
post #86 of 2287 Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

If true, this would be the first Sony TV with off/on timer that works this way. Are you sure there is not a separate menu for TIMER/CLOCK where you can set specific on/off times? Did you SET the Clock?? If the clock is not set I could see the default off time being not clock based. but I'd assume all newer TVs have automatic clock setting. The Auto shutoff feature IS new, but I can't believe they did away with true off/on timers. I use that feature a lot, as an alarm clock and when out of town to cycle on and off. Actually, I guess both of my uses would not be affected by the strange auto-off feature you describe though. In the past it was very hard to find ON timers, so I'm glad Sony is still offering that. Sleep/off timers are common but less useful to me.
just reacting. timers are a big issue with my TVs. Sony has been one of the few with full timers.

I'm using the TV Guide automatic clock feature rather than manually setting the clock. Based on display information, the automatic clock seems to function quite well, so it isn't a clock issue.

I recently hooked up a CAT5e LAN connection from my router to the Sony and updated the Sony's software in hopes that a programmable daily shutoff time might be included in a software update. No such luck.

You can program the Sony to come on daily or on a variety of day-mix schedules at a specified time, to a specified input and channel on that input, and at a given sound level. However, the only option for automatically turning the set off is the Sleep Timer with the choices in 15 minute increments up to 120 minutes.

I've had sleep timers on electronics for many years and they are all but worthless. My 32" Samsung LCD HDTV in the bedroom (2007 model) provides three programmable schedules for automatically turning the set on (I use it as a morning alarm clock M-F) and turning it off (set to 1 AM for every night in case I fall asleep while watching the TV in bed). I is just quite surprising to me that an HDTV that is 2 years newer and 3 times the cost wouldn't offer such a practical feature. Maybe if we generate enough input to Sony, it could be added in a future software update.
post #87 of 2287 Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the TV Guide automatic clock feature rather than manually setting the clock. Based on display information, the automatic clock seems to function quite well, so it isn't a clock issue.

I recently hooked up a CAT5e LAN connection from my router to the Sony and updated the Sony's software in hopes that a programmable daily shutoff time might be included in a software update. No such luck.

You can program the Sony to come on daily or on a variety of day-mix schedules at a specified time, to a specified input and channel on that input, and at a given sound level. However, the only option for automatically turning the set off is the Sleep Timer with the choices in 15 minute increments up to 120 minutes.

I've had sleep timers on electronics for many years and they are all but worthless. My 32" Samsung LCD HDTV in the bedroom (2007 model) provides three programmable schedules for automatically turning the set on (I use it as a morning alarm clock M-F) and turning it off (set to 1 AM for every night in case I fall asleep while watching the TV in bed). I is just quite surprising to me that an HDTV that is 2 years newer and 3 times the cost wouldn't offer such a practical feature. Maybe if we generate enough input to Sony, it could be added in a future software update.

Did you try the clock/timer in the Setting menu. I believe you might be able to program the shut-off time there. This is how it works in my 46Z4100.
post #88 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Received our 40" Z5100 one week ago. Extremely happy with the results.

Was able to replace a 32" Sharp with side speakers and gain 8" viewing for my wife's primary viewing in the Master Bedroom Armoire and while I was torn between it and the B750 it's a damn good thing I went with the Sony as I found the Samsung would not have fit the space.

To my surprise when I set everything up was how reflective the Sony was while off - not full matte like my Sharps but that has no impact when the TV is turned on at all. Damn the TV is black and semi-reflective Off but a beauty when displaying.

No gaming is done on this TV and so I won't report on anything in that regards and I won't assist with calibrations since my viewing preference is a vivid panel and I don't give a crap if anyone else doesn't agree with my preference.

I decided on this panel after studying panels for the past 6 months and finally viewing the XBR9 and the Z5100 next to Samsung B750/B650 panels. As great as the Samsungs were I was unable to get that peering into PQ DEPTH that I experienced on the new Sony panels - plus I feared the wife may bitch about reflections on the Samsungs after having none for 4.5 yrs on the Sharp. I was repeatedly impressed with this immersiveness on these two new Sony panels as I am in my Home.

I popped in Mamma Mia Blu-Ray and it was fantastic - the Mediterranean Sea color and clarity was eye popping and I turned on AMP and when you haven't experienced it before it's sort of strange to have that Live Camera view and soap opera look - I prefer the theater look but it's nice to play with.

The blacks on this are wonderful trumping the 4.5 yr old it replaced easily.

I spent hours going from the bedroom to my main 57" 3.5 year old Sharp and I used Food Network HD to cross compare since they constantly zoom into the cooking experience and it's easy to see PQ details on that channel. Again my in-store HD Viewing with 3D depth peering into of the Sony trumped my 3.5 yr Technology on my Sharp easily. The friggin clarity on HD on these cook-off's was simply amazing on the Sony and it tells me Sony may have a kick ass 65" when it debuts with BE3 on the W5100. My Sharp had a flatter smoother look - still looked great and the size delivers alot of WoW but the details on the Z5100 was stunning. The Z5100 and XBR9 are the first LCD's I've seen that could match or exceed the PQ details of the SXRD with HD.

Also, I carefully watched for flashlighting and clouds and saw ZERO - simply BLACK - BLACK - BLACK!

The only negative I can report is Turdvision SD - it is what it is - a TURD!

I'm used to viewing HD 90+% of the time and so I'll always tolerate it for my channels that have not transitioned yet but I don't buy my TV's for SD - after all some SD channels can look quite good while others are crapola no matter the panel especially after growing accustomed to HD at six times the PQ.

The irony is that I'll rarely view this TV regularly as my wife and I have very different tastes and I have a sleep disorder where I only view the Sony occasionally after setting it up but it gave me a yardstick to make a move to a 65" > in the future with it's PQ Depth, Details, and Black Levels and hopefully I can provide her this larger panel with First Rate PQ for 8+ years and she's quite happy and takes away the guilt when I jump to a 65" as she'll have the Z5100 for regular viewing and then the BIG HT 65" or my 57" for HT immersion as size does have it's benefits to get HT immersion with Blu-Rays.

IMO Ten/Ten, BE3, 240Hz, and the 100K:1 CR and the maturity of Sony Bravia Series is now returning rewards in the "Z5100" and XBR9. Enjoy!

ALSO --- Most importantly with the achilles Heal of LCD --- I see no Friggin HAZE!!! The Samsungs are still outstanding IMO also but if you cannot handle the reflective nature and ambient lighting issues a viewing room may interfere with PQ these Sony panels trump the Samsungs IMO and with a little patience the prices should drop also.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #89 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm not that good at photography...So here's a pic for you.

I am most impressed with this display. In the past 20 months, I've gone from the KDS-R60XBR2 to the KDL-52V5100 (what a mistake that was) to the 52Z5100. The great piece of irony was that this TV shipped from Pittsburgh and my Penguins were playing game 7 last night and WON THE STANLEY CUP!!! The set arrived on the day of the game. So, this TV will always be the Pen's television!

There are so many great things about this set, I'm not even sure where to start. I pretty much love everything about it. Great (Awesome) blacks, no flashlighting or clouding, vibrant color, razor sharp images, fantastic 3D like pop and I've not even messed with the Internet capabilities yet. It will take quite a bit to impress me since I've been exclusively using IPTV for 3 months. Yup, that's right, I cut the cable and use only IPTV and OTA (HD DVD and Blu-Ray, of course,as welll)

This set is about an inch thinner than the V5100 which I found to be very thin. Mind you, I was solely an RPTV man up until 30 days ago. So everything seems thin to me. So far, I'm in love. There is nothing I dislike about the set.

When I went to preview the XBR9 and the Z, they were side by side at the B&M I went to. I really could not see any difference in the picture at all.

Another thing I noticed was that I calibrated this set faster than any other in all these years. I don't know if it's because of my familiarity with the XMB or that there was not much to do to get it where I wanted it. I used the red and blue versions of DVE and breezed right through it. It was a snap.

I can see I'm going to have to look really hard to find something I dislike about this set. It's definitely a keeper...Will
LL

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #90 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 07:37 AM

This morning I turned the set on and it popped up and told me a new version of S/W was available. I had aa85 and the new one was aa89. It updated in about 30 seconds with no problems. I'm not sure what it changed however - do they usually put that information somewhere?

BTW I've had the TV for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. Still trying to get the picture dialed in how I like it, but it'll get there.

TV is a 52z5100 BTW.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page