Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Well, I'm not that good at photography...So here's a pic for you.

I am most impressed with this display. In the past 20 months, I've gone from the KDS-R60XBR2 to the KDL-52V5100 (what a mistake that was) to the 52Z5100. The great piece of irony was that this TV shipped from Pittsburgh and my Penguins were playing game 7 last night and WON THE STANLEY CUP!!! The set arrived on the day of the game. So, this TV will always be the Pen's television!

There are so many great things about this set, I'm not even sure where to start. I pretty much love everything about it. Great (Awesome) blacks, no flashlighting or clouding, vibrant color, razor sharp images, fantastic 3D like pop and I've not even messed with the Internet capabilities yet. It will take quite a bit to impress me since I've been exclusively using IPTV for 3 months. Yup, that's right, I cut the cable and use only IPTV and OTA (HD DVD and Blu-Ray, of course,as welll)

This set is about an inch thinner than the V5100 which I found to be very thin. Mind you, I was solely an RPTV man up until 30 days ago. So everything seems thin to me. So far, I'm in love. There is nothing I dislike about the set.

When I went to preview the XBR9 and the Z, they were side by side at the B&M I went to. I really could not see any difference in the picture at all.

Another thing I noticed was that I calibrated this set faster than any other in all these years. I don't know if it's because of my familiarity with the XMB or that there was not much to do to get it where I wanted it. I used the red and blue versions of DVE and breezed right through it. It was a snap.

I can see I'm going to have to look really hard to find something I dislike about this set. It's definitely a keeper...Will

Awesome, looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Another thing I noticed was that I calibrated this set faster than any other in all these years. I don't know if it's because of my familiarity with the XMB or that there was not much to do to get it where I wanted it. I used the red and blue versions of DVE and breezed right through it. It was a snap.

I've ordered the DVE from Amazon and it will be here Monday, but I'd be interested to see your calibration settings - would you mind posting them here?
post #93 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpemulis View Post

I've ordered the DVE from Amazon and it will be here Monday, but I'd be interested to see your calibration settings - would you mind posting them here?[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

I'd like the to know the Calib settings for this one too..Also congrats on your purchase!!
post #94 of 2287 Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Guys,

I could post my settings but they may do you little good for two reasons: First, no two sets are exactly alike. Electronic components have different tolerances and a certain setting on my display could be wrong for yours. Next, unless you are using a colorometer, what looks good to me could look like crap to you.

What I can say that is unusual with my experience with Sony televisions is that the 'neutral' setting (using custom as the preset) seems to look closer to 6500K, where 'warm 2" was always the closest (again, with the sets I had experience with.

I HIGHLY recommend that you get a copy of either DVE or Avia II. They literally pay for themselves in peace of mind. It's very easy to learn how to do the basics, even though it may seem daunting at first.

Once my wife goes back to work on Monday, I'll post my settings for Blu-Ray/HD DVD and OTA. When my wife is home, it is a 'no tweakinh' time. She does have an appreciation for AV but her motto is "quite screwing about and let's just watch TV"

Again, I'll try to post it on Monday. Have a great weekend...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #95 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a better picture using my wife's Nikon D40...
LL

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #96 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I think one of the big surprises for folks getting the Z5100 is seeing that the screen isn't totally matte, more like semi-matte. However, whatever Sony has done for glare/reflectivity reduction works very well. When the set is on there is essentially no reflection or glare. In that department, the Z5100 is comparable to the Samsung DLP it replaced in my family room. However, the DLP had picture fad issues with bright light into the room, whereas the Z5100's backlight maintains great PQ and color saturation even with sunlight into the room.
post #97 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not having any luck with sony, after sending me a damaged unit, they messed up the shipping on the replacement. Its been a month now since i paid for the z5100 and still no TV :-(
post #98 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

I'm not having any luck with sony, after sending me a damaged unit, they messed up the shipping on the replacement. Its been a month now since i paid for the z5100 and still no TV :-(

Did you buy direct from Sony? Amazon does much better in standing behind their shipped to orders.
post #99 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Did you buy direct from Sony? Amazon does much better in standing behind their shipped to orders.

I upgraded my existing TV through sony due to trailing issues after months of complaining and techs looking at it. Its been 4 months now since i started haggling them.

They could have atleast offered me 3 day shipping for messing up twice

Great high end TV's, but they do have terrible customer support
post #100 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpemulis View Post

This morning I turned the set on and it popped up and told me a new version of S/W was available. I had aa85 and the new one was aa89. It updated in about 30 seconds with no problems. I'm not sure what it changed however - do they usually put that information somewhere?

BTW I've had the TV for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. Still trying to get the picture dialed in how I like it, but it'll get there.

TV is a 52z5100 BTW.

Sony shows no updates on there website
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL52Z5100
post #101 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Setup was easy, but had to do a cold reboot for the comcast SA explorer dvr and the tv to get the new hdmi cable to work, I purchased a new hdmi cable that has specifications for 120hz and 230hz.

Picture quality is noticeably much better than my other Bravia which is 40v2500. Noticeable without even having to have them side by side, even my wife noticed. The colors are just extraordinary. I live in Florida and have a very very bright room with 14 foot ceilings and a wall of windows we keep open, the color setting for us has to be on vivid for us to enjoy the tv. Reflections exist and are noticeable when the set is off but when its on no problem.

Watched golf and the Yankees pummel Arizona (but I am red sox fan) and SVU, so far very happy with it. Looking forward to seeing the blood on Sookie's neck in True Blood on HBO tonight. Pretty happy so far, except I had to wince when i paid the $2200 when all those other sets are cheaper, but the small bezel set fit perfect in our wall unit, never thought I would get a 46" in there.

R
post #102 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeach View Post

Setup was easy, but had to do a cold reboot for the comcast SA explorer dvr and the tv to get the new hdmi cable to work, I purchased a new hdmi cable that has specifications for 120hz and 230hz.

Picture quality is noticeably much better than my other Bravia which is 40v2500. Noticeable without even having to have them side by side, even my wife noticed. The colors are just extraordinary. I live in Florida and have a very very bright room with 14 foot ceilings and a wall of windows we keep open, the color setting for us has to be on vivid for us to enjoy the tv. Reflections exist and are noticeable when the set is off but when its on no problem.

Watched golf and the Yankees pummel Arizona (but I am red sox fan) and SVU, so far very happy with it. Looking forward to seeing the blood on Sookie's neck in True Blood on HBO tonight. Pretty happy so far, except I had to wince when i paid the $2200 when all those other sets are cheaper, but the small bezel set fit perfect in our wall unit, never thought I would get a 46" in there.

R

Noooo you didn't really buy one of those expensive 120hz cables did you. Its a complete scam. The TV only accepts 60p 24p. The 240hz is completely done on the TV side and has nothing to do with your cable box.
post #103 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the notice this afternoon when I turned the TV on (I left a Cat 5e cable hooked up to the Sony from my router). 85 replaced by 89. No indication of what changed and I couldn't find anything different after the update.
post #104 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:

I got the notice this afternoon when I turned the TV on (I left a Cat 5e cable hooked up to the Sony from my router). 85 replaced by 89. No indication of what changed and I couldn't find anything different after the update.

I can't find any information. Sony posts the firmware on there website also. Maybe it will be up there monday or something.
post #105 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:

*shrugs* Dunno dude. It was just there yesterday morning when I turned it on. The TV is always hooked to a wired net connection.

I'd like to know what changed. It's been 36 hours since the update and I notice no differences.
post #106 of 2287 Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Well we've been watching this 52Z5100 for over a week now and the wife and I are very happy with our purchase. PQ with HD sources (OTA DTV and Dish HD) is as good as it gets, absolutely excellent and easily equal to the Samsung B750 without the shaving mirror that goes with the B750. Blacks are excellent and shadow detail is the best I've seen on a TV. Careful with that Advanced Setting for Black Enhancement. Anything above Low can lead to severe clouding issues with some HD movie content. No flashlights, clouding, or uneven lighting across the screen. Color realism and saturation are excellent. Viewing angle is average or typical of CCFL LCDs, which is about 45 degrees off center. Not bad and much better than the LED LCDs.

PQ from non-BD DVDs is excellent. I was watching Saving Private Ryan upscaled by my 2 year old Sony 1080p upscaling DVD player and it looked as good as many of the HD movies on Starz and Cinemax that I get with Dish. Damped my enthusiasm for getting a BD player anytime soon or at least until the half way decent Sony units get down to the $199 price point. I'm enjoying my DVD library anew all over again.

PQ from SD sources is a mixed bag. It really depends on the source. Decent 480i stuff comes across excellent, but some older video and movies look pretty bad and the MPEG Filter and CineMotion filter don't do much to help regardless of which setting you use. I'd give this set Average to a little above average on SD PQ, so this is one area that Samsung is still clearly ahead of Sony. BTW, CNET didn't see any change using the MPEG filter, but I was able to see changes on all settings. Avoid the high setting as it does more harm than good. Medium and Low both improve bad SD video over no filter at all.

The more I've used the on-board sound, the more impressed I am with it. I'd rate it as above average for flat panel HDTV sound systems. OTOH, even after a week I still don't like the Menu. Illogical, non-intuitive, and not user friendly. Samsung definitely gets the nod when it comes to menus on these high-end LCD HDTVs.

As for the internet connectivity, I'm not impressed. I've surfed through most of what is offered and it isn't worth much. I'll likely be removing the Cat 5e cable soon and only bring it back occasionally to look for software updates. And the widgets are the biggest joke. The weather widget just gives me New York, Paris, and Sunnyvale, no matter what I try to do to change it. Signing up at the Yahoo site didn't do anything in this regard either. There doesn't seem to be a way to select what city you want weather for. Useless!

Haven't evaluated the use of this TV with my PC notebook since I can't get the TV to recognize the RGB cable input from the notebook. The notebook sees the TV, but the TV just doesn't see the notebook. This isn't something I expected to use this TV for, so I don't know that I'll spend much more time trying to make it work.

So the Z5100 is definitely a suitable non-glossy, non-reflective alternative to the Samsung B750. We're just thrilled watching Starz and Cinemax HD movies, prime-time HD drama on the major networks, any live HD broadcasts, and especially any live HD sporting even broadcasts. The WOW factor is back! Can't wait for the NFL season to start.

Final note, I'm just running the PQ in Standard with the MPEG filter on Low, CineMotion on Auto 1, and black enhancement on Low. Haven't seen any reason to mess with the other settings on Standard. I looked at Theatre Mode for movies, but it is just too dark and too yellow. I read somewhere that it is designed to be used only in a theatre environment (i.e., pitch black room), but I don't think it would work for me even in that environment with its dim picture and yellow caste. I've used Warm 1 for a few HD sources, but most stuff looks best at the factory setting of neutral.

I forgot to mention the remote. Very nice compared to the remotes that Samsung started using last year and it is a Universal Remote. However, the Universal part only goes so far. Oddly, Sony doesn't have a device code (I contacted them about this) that will allow the Z5100's remote to turn on my 5 year old Sony A/V receiver. I guess 5 years is just "too old" for all this hot new technology. Otherwise, I'd rate the remote as above average.
post #107 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. For those who asked for my settings, here you go. I could not recommend highly enough your need to get at least one DVE or Avia disk. Between what I have learned after nearly 8 years on this site and from using calibration disks, I have learned so much. I really cannot recommend enough the need for having one of your own...

These settings are for Blu-Ray/ HD DVD

Picture Mode - Standard
Backlight - 2
Picture - 74
Brightness - 46
Color - 48
Hue - R2
Color Temperature - Warm 1
Sharpness - 4
Noise Reduction - Off
MPEG Noise Reduction - Off
MotionFlow - Standard
CineMotion - Auto 2

ADVANCED SECTION

Black Corrector - Off
ACE - Off
Gamma - Off
Auto Light Limiter - Off
Clear White - Off

WHITE BALANCE

Default. Until I get a meter, I have no business mucking about in this section/

Second, My family/theater room is a cave, so my brightness and contrast levels are pretty low. Like I stated in a previous post, the use of someone else's settings is not recommended. It can give you a starting off point but there is nothing like taking the time to do this yourself.

I know I'm harping on this a lot. It's because it's true. Ask anyone who has spent a significant amount of time messing with HT. I don't want to seem 'holier than thou' because there are more people on this site who have forgotten more than I know. If it were not for finding this wonderful community, I would not know 1/10th of what I know now, which is just enough to get by and impress my friends!

My advice is to spend a lot of time reading and learning why things are the way they are. I haven't even started on audio. There is a science to this, as well. However, nothing is set in stone. Personal preferences play a HUGE role in the setup of any home theater. (For example, I like my rear speakers 1db higher than the rest of my speakers.)

This is an awesome TV that you have spent a lot of money on. It should give you and your family years of enjoyment. Take the time to set it up right and give it a checkup every 3 months. Especially now, when the set is new and it is 'burning in'. That is why ISF calibrators won't touch your set until it has 200-500 hours on it. I don't know if this also applies to LCD but it did for LCOS and rear projection CRT.

Enjoy your set and remember...YMMV...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #108 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Is auto light limiter the option to turn off sony's auto dimming for the backlight?
post #109 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Just out of curiosity, how many Yahoo Widgets do all of you have access to? I only see three: News, Weather and Finance. I understand this is a new service but Yahoo's website makes it seem as if there are dozens to choose from. That does not seem to be the case...Will

EDIT: In speaking with Sony, I found out there are only three widgets availabe at this time. Hopefully there will be more soon.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #110 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is auto light limiter the option to turn off sony's auto dimming for the backlight?

I don't believe so. I have had test patterns running with the light limiter on and off, so I think it does not eliminate auto-dimming. It is supposed to automatically dim or brighten the display in relation to the ambient light conditions. Another one of those green standard requirements, I suppose...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #111 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By "auto light limiter" I assume you mean "Light Sensor". It is one of the options that automatically control the backlight. Whether or not it is the auto dimming control you are concerned about I don't know as I haven't seen "auto dimming" mentioned in the Sony instructions and manual. I tried the Light Sensor option for a day or so and was quite displeased with the results. Not too bad in the bright light of day, but at night it dimmed the screen so badly that colors faded and contrast was lost. There is a note in the Sony reference about the range of the backlight control with the Light Sensor being reduced in low light conditions. Maybe they think you only want to turn it on during the day time.

The other control is called Power Saving. I've been running this on Low and while I haven't noticed any degradation of PQ, it does seem to knock off about 25 watts of power consumption.
post #112 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any more pics of the TV? I would like to check out some of the physical characteristics.
Thank you in advance.
post #113 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is an awesome TV that you have spent a lot of money on. It should give you and your family years of enjoyment. Take the time to set it up right and give it a checkup every 3 months. Especially now, when the set is new and it is 'burning in'. That is why ISF calibrators won't touch your set until it has 200-500 hours on it. I don't know if this also applies to LCD but it did for LCOS and rear projection CRT.

Enjoy your set and remember...YMMV...Will

if you go to the isf forums FAQ you will see the answer that a breakin period for LCD is not necessary, but they do recommend that you wait through your return window at least so that you won't waste the money on calibrating a set you end up returning. but if you're doing your own work, such a wait period isn't necessary.

what kind of checkup every 3 months are you talking about? thanks

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #114 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Any more pics of the TV? I would like to check out some of the physical characteristics.
Thank you in advance.

what are looking for specifically? you can go to sites like www.amazon.com that have multiple views of sets.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #115 of 2287 Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

if you go to the isf forums FAQ you will see the answer that a breakin period for LCD is not necessary, but they do recommend that you wait through your return window at least so that you won't waste the money on calibrating a set you end up returning. but if you're doing your own work, such a wait period isn't necessary.

what kind of checkup every 3 months are you talking about? thanks

TVbc

I wasn't sure about the break-in period for LCD, that's why I put in the little disclaimer about not being sure. I'm new to LCD.

The checkup I was referring to is my personal goal of just running a check with DVE to make sure nothing has drifted or the lighting in the room hasn't changed because of the location of the sun and its effects on the display. Plus, I have OCD and I have to make sure the TV is looking as good as it possibly can. I drive my wife up the wall with my incessant tweaking. It beats the hell out of CRT RP when I used to do full geometry and convergence at least every 6 months...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #116 of 2287 Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Well we've been watching this 52Z5100 for over a week now and the wife and I are very happy with our purchase. PQ with HD sources (OTA DTV and Dish HD) is as good as it gets, absolutely excellent and easily equal to the Samsung B750 without the shaving mirror that goes with the B750. Blacks are excellent and shadow detail is the best I've seen on a TV. Careful with that Advanced Setting for Black Enhancement. Anything above Low can lead to severe clouding issues with some HD movie content. No flashlights, clouding, or uneven lighting across the screen. Color realism and saturation are excellent. Viewing angle is average or typical of CCFL LCDs, which is about 45 degrees off center. Not bad and much better than the LED LCDs.

PQ from non-BD DVDs is excellent. I was watching Saving Private Ryan upscaled by my 2 year old Sony 1080p upscaling DVD player and it looked as good as many of the HD movies on Starz and Cinemax that I get with Dish. Damped my enthusiasm for getting a BD player anytime soon or at least until the half way decent Sony units get down to the $199 price point. I'm enjoying my DVD library anew all over again.

PQ from SD sources is a mixed bag. It really depends on the source. Decent 480i stuff comes across excellent, but some older video and movies look pretty bad and the MPEG Filter and CineMotion filter don't do much to help regardless of which setting you use. I'd give this set Average to a little above average on SD PQ, so this is one area that Samsung is still clearly ahead of Sony. BTW, CNET didn't see any change using the MPEG filter, but I was able to see changes on all settings. Avoid the high setting as it does more harm than good. Medium and Low both improve bad SD video over no filter at all.

The more I've used the on-board sound, the more impressed I am with it. I'd rate it as above average for flat panel HDTV sound systems. OTOH, even after a week I still don't like the Menu. Illogical, non-intuitive, and not user friendly. Samsung definitely gets the nod when it comes to menus on these high-end LCD HDTVs.

As for the internet connectivity, I'm not impressed. I've surfed through most of what is offered and it isn't worth much. I'll likely be removing the Cat 5e cable soon and only bring it back occasionally to look for software updates. And the widgets are the biggest joke. The weather widget just gives me New York, Paris, and Sunnyvale, no matter what I try to do to change it. Signing up at the Yahoo site didn't do anything in this regard either. There doesn't seem to be a way to select what city you want weather for. Useless!

Haven't evaluated the use of this TV with my PC notebook since I can't get the TV to recognize the RGB cable input from the notebook. The notebook sees the TV, but the TV just doesn't see the notebook. This isn't something I expected to use this TV for, so I don't know that I'll spend much more time trying to make it work.

So the Z5100 is definitely a suitable non-glossy, non-reflective alternative to the Samsung B750. We're just thrilled watching Starz and Cinemax HD movies, prime-time HD drama on the major networks, any live HD broadcasts, and especially any live HD sporting even broadcasts. The WOW factor is back! Can't wait for the NFL season to start.

Final note, I'm just running the PQ in Standard with the MPEG filter on Low, CineMotion on Auto 1, and black enhancement on Low. Haven't seen any reason to mess with the other settings on Standard. I looked at Theatre Mode for movies, but it is just too dark and too yellow. I read somewhere that it is designed to be used only in a theatre environment (i.e., pitch black room), but I don't think it would work for me even in that environment with its dim picture and yellow caste. I've used Warm 1 for a few HD sources, but most stuff looks best at the factory setting of neutral.

I forgot to mention the remote. Very nice compared to the remotes that Samsung started using last year and it is a Universal Remote. However, the Universal part only goes so far. Oddly, Sony doesn't have a device code (I contacted them about this) that will allow the Z5100's remote to turn on my 5 year old Sony A/V receiver. I guess 5 years is just "too old" for all this hot new technology. Otherwise, I'd rate the remote as above average.

Dear CEB II,
YOu are the first person to discuss SD PQ using DISHNetwork. I 'd appreciate your views & suggestions.

I currently have a SONY 32" tube set. I keep looking at the 46Z5100 and 46XBR9 sets. I wonder if the Bravia 3 engine does a better job with SD on such channels as the Westerns channel and TCM, etc.
Can you tell me why you went with the Z5100 rather than the XBR9?
I compare these sets with the Samsung 7100 which has no s-video input. I'd like the SOny with the S-video as I would hope the DISH 311 receiver would give me a decent SD PQ as I decide to move over to DishHD.

I'd appreciate what ever you can tell me regarding PQ , DISH SD/HD, and the various sets. I am new to this forum and can't send you a private message, but you may reply to me if you can.
thanks Dave
PS COmments from other owners are also appreciated.
post #117 of 2287 Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Will, post those settings here. It's the Z5100 calibration thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...772&highlight=
post #118 of 2287 Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Bullethead,

Thanks! I've been rummaging about looking for that thread. I appreciate it...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #119 of 2287 Old 06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQCQDX View Post

Dear CEB II,
YOu are the first person to discuss SD PQ using DISHNetwork. I 'd appreciate your views & suggestions.

I currently have a SONY 32" tube set. I keep looking at the 46Z5100 and 46XBR9 sets. I wonder if the Bravia 3 engine does a better job with SD on such channels as the Westerns channel and TCM, etc.
Can you tell me why you went with the Z5100 rather than the XBR9?
I compare these sets with the Samsung 7100 which has no s-video input. I'd like the SOny with the S-video as I would hope the DISH 311 receiver would give me a decent SD PQ as I decide to move over to DishHD.

I'd appreciate what ever you can tell me regarding PQ , DISH SD/HD, and the various sets. I am new to this forum and can't send you a private message, but you may reply to me if you can.
thanks Dave
PS COmments from other owners are also appreciated.

The reason I went with the Z5100 rather than the XBR9 is that, while they are almost identical electronically (can't see any difference in PQ), the Z5100 is less expensive and my wife thinks better looking (muted black bezel rather the silver/blue with clear edge bezel of the XBR9). I think a goodly percentage of those opting for the XBR9 over the Z5100 are just doing an ego thing (i.e., "I've got the Sony "top of the line" XBR!). Even the CNET reviews of both sets indicate they are really the same set performance-wise and both will perform the same with a given SD input.

As to SD PQ, my comments are for my SD sources, which are OTA DTV and a Dish ViP211 via HDMI. Most of the OTA DTV SD looks pretty good to me, like our two local PBS channels broadcasting at 480i. However, some of the sports video they run on the NBC Universal sub-channel looks like crap and no amount of tuning seems to make a lot of difference. The source is bad, so garbage in, garbage out.

With my Dish SD, it is again a mixed bag and this is with an HDMI digital feed from the receiver to the Sony. I don't think you will be very happy with what you get off an s-video feed to the Sony. Doesn't the Dish 311 have component out? That would be a big improvement over s-video. Some of the Dish SD channels have done a lot to maximize the quality of their SD broadcast. Some of the TCM look pretty good, but not all. If the station is just showing a print of the original film, the SD PQ won't be very good. If they've gone through the effort to create a digitally re-mastered version of the film or show, they it can look pretty good, at least as I see it via HDMI.

I have the Dish Silver package plus HD and Starz and Cinemax (wife can't do without those movie channels, so we pay the extra cost). Dish HD PQ is excellent and there are now a lot of channels available in HD. If you're going to buy a new, high end, HDTV, then have a good source for HD to watch on your new HDTV. OTA HD is a minimum, if that is possible in your setup. Otherwise, pick an HD package from Dish that has the channels you can't live without and which won't over-run the monthly check book balance and enjoy the wonder of HDTV.
post #120 of 2287 Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:

The reason I went with the Z5100 rather than the XBR9 is that, while they are almost identical electronically (can't see any difference in PQ), the Z5100 is less expensive and my wife thinks better looking (muted black bezel rather the silver/blue with clear edge bezel of the XBR9). I think a goodly percentage of those opting for the XBR9 over the Z5100 are just doing an ego thing (i.e., "I've got the Sony "top of the line" XBR!). Even the CNET reviews of both sets indicate they are really the same set performance-wise and both will perform the same with a given SD input.

As to SD PQ, my comments are for my SD sources, which are OTA DTV and a Dish ViP211 via HDMI. Most of the OTA DTV SD looks pretty good to me, like our two local PBS channels broadcasting at 480i. However, some of the sports video they run on the NBC Universal sub-channel looks like crap and no amount of tuning seems to make a lot of difference. The source is bad, so garbage in, garbage out.

With my Dish SD, it is again a mixed bag and this is with an HDMI digital feed from the receiver to the Sony. I don't think you will be very happy with what you get off an s-video feed to the Sony. Doesn't the Dish 311 have component out? That would be a big improvement over s-video. Some of the Dish SD channels have done a lot to maximize the quality of their SD broadcast. Some of the TCM look pretty good, but not all. If the station is just showing a print of the original film, the SD PQ won't be very good. If they've gone through the effort to create a digitally re-mastered version of the film or show, they it can look pretty good, at least as I see it via HDMI.

I have the Dish Silver package plus HD and Starz and Cinemax (wife can't do without those movie channels, so we pay the extra cost). Dish HD PQ is excellent and there are now a lot of channels available in HD. If you're going to buy a new, high end, HDTV, then have a good source for HD to watch on your new HDTV. OTA HD is a minimum, if that is possible in your setup. Otherwise, pick an HD package from Dish that has the channels you can't live without and which won't over-run the monthly check book balance and enjoy the wonder of HDTV.

Thanks for your detailed response. It helps me a lot.
I agree- the Z5100 Bezel looks better.

The 311 does not have component out; just video and S-video. Its the basic SD rcvr. The fact that you are happy with the Dish HD receiver, HD and SD PQ, helps me make the decision to upgrade everything. I get all the movie packages and I like movies. I've studied the HD list of stations available and the list looks good; we always hope for more.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I now have a better understanding of all the technology and PQ.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page