Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

dh011 - it's up to aa0153pn.

I apologize for us going off topic. I guess that's what happens when you have a display with so few problems.

-Best, John

I thought aa0151pn and aa0153pn were the same update, except that one was an update directly from the internet to the tv, and the other was a download from the website to a usb drive, then loaded onto the tv...

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great...we have a guy with a "big pipe", and another guy who is a "master" beta tester.

Who's running this thread, Larry Flint?

Larry Flint-stone, the black sheep of Fred's family.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #1923 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

John,
I apologize, but I forgot to take note of my EX500 settings to send you...I'll try to remember to jot them down tonight...
Best,
Chris

post #1924 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

I thought aa0151pn and aa0153pn were the same update, except that one was an update directly from the internet to the tv, and the other was a download from the website to a usb drive, then loaded onto the tv...

Based on what others have reported, this seems to be the correct assumption.

I think we're about due for a new fw update though.
Especially since my set has all of the sudden started doing the uninitiated POWER CYCLE OFF/ON bug lately.
Never did it in the beginning, but is getting worse.

On another note, the flashlighting and clouding seem to be getting a pinch better the more I use the tv.

Aside from those two things, I'm very happy with my Z.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1925 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I didn't realize they were the same. My apologies.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #1926 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speaking of bugs...

I use a Harmony remote, 670 to be exact. I know there is a F/W update to address Harmony problems (I use the latest F/W), but I am still having problems.

Occasionally remote will not change the inputs properly and I end up in a different input (I use discretes for inputs). After a long trial and error I managed to reproduce it consistently.

1. Turn the TV off, let it sit for a few hours. (i.e. Watch TV activity is off)
2. Start an activity which uses a different input, like Watch a movie
3. You will notice the TV ends up at Cable/Sat input
4. Now to confirm, turn the Watch a Movie activity off and turn it on again. TV is now at the right input
If you do these without letting the TV being off for a while everything works the way it is supposed to...

Any opinions/ideas?
post #1927 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

Speaking of bugs...

I use a Harmony remote, 670 to be exact. I know there is a F/W update to address Harmony problems (I use the latest F/W), but I am still having problems.

Occasionally remote will not change the inputs properly and I end up in a different input (I use discretes for inputs). After a long trial and error I managed to reproduce it consistently.

4. Now to confirm, turn the Watch a Movie activity off and turn it on again. TV is now at the right input
If you do these without letting the TV being off for a while everything works the way it is supposed to...

Any opinions/ideas?

If you can repeat it consistently, I would try and make sure that the engineers at Sony get your info. Getting that info into the engineer's hands is your best way to get it fixed.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #1928 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

None necessary John. What makes this site, and specifically this thread, so great is that we all share info and learn from each other. I have learned so much from you, Will, and others about this tv and calibrations...most of it priceless...

post #1929 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's no absolute proof that they are, but it does seem to be true.
The last 2 firmware updates that have been made available have come in the form of downloadable from the website, as well as at the same time downlaodable directly via ethernet.
In both cases, the fw numbers were different, but why would 2 different fw revisions come at the same time.
So the logical conclusion is that they are the same, but have different description numbers for some odd reason.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #1930 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csonntag View Post

none necessary john. What makes this site, and specifically this thread, so great is that we all share info and learn from each other. I have learned so much from you, will, and others about this tv and calibrations...most of it priceless...

+1

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #1931 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

Speaking of bugs...

Any opinions/ideas?

If your OEM remote is working, it's not really a defect buy more of a compatibility issue, but I agree with Dave. If it's repeatable, Sony can probably solve the capability problem.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #1932 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

+1

Didn't mean to leave you out Dave.
Cheers!

post #1933 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From the calibrations that I performed on Sony LCD's the contrast setting had always been mid to upper 80's wit the backlight between 2-4 depending on the ambient lighting. Also, I've never had a gamma setting of "-".

But since you gave me the symptoms that you're having, I'd need to know what settings you are using.

The most important settings to get right are black and contrast (and then grayscale). Everything else feeds off of them. Do you have a cal disc?

-Best,
John

Sorry, forgot to answer your question: I have an old Avia cal disk, but not an HD version

post #1934 of 2287 Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's discuss this via PM, since this is the Z5100 thread.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #1935 of 2287 Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:

There's no absolute proof that they are, but it does seem to be true.
The last 2 firmware updates that have been made available have come in the form of downloadable from the website, as well as at the same time downlaodable directly via ethernet.
In both cases, the fw numbers were different, but why would 2 different fw revisions come at the same time.
So the logical conclusion is that they are the same, but have different description numbers for some odd reason.

I am not so sure they are the same. I had the aa0151pn software from the tv download before and I decided to try the aa0153pn software via usb. Since installing the 153 software I have only had one shutdown/reboot. I left a couple of long netflix movies running for several hours (Che' 1 and 2) and it was fine. I watched a couple of others too. The one reboot came after I tried something that was causing reboots all the time. I tried it several times and only once did it reboot. Basically if I watch a netflix movie, let it end then when it goes back to the netflix Queue I click on that same movie again to "remove from queue". That caused it to reboot all the time with the 151 software. With 153 it did it once and has yet to reboot "out of the blue" as it was doing to me before.
It seems much more stable to me. But I really need to watch a couple of DVD's to know for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed.
post #1936 of 2287 Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and just picked up one of these beautiful 46 inch TV's over the weekend at Best Buy. I haven't had a chance to go through this entire thread yet, but was hoping you all might have a few answers to some initial questions. I am connected to TW Cable through a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC and Monster HDMI cable.

1) I purchased the on-display/clearance set from Best Buy. It came with only the TV, stand, and power cord. The remote is not the original remote and just one they had lying around (Sony RM-YDO35). It works but isn't nearly as nice as the one I see in the online manual. Is there a benefit to having the original remote, and if so does anyone have any recommendations of where to get one? I have seen a few available online/ebay/etc. Also, should I order a copy of the manual? Beside the manual, is there anything else that would have been in the box that I should try to track down?

2) Because this was a display model (I'm not sure how long it was out on the showroom floor), should I be concerned about the life of the TV or display (screen burning out, etc)? I was not offered a warranty and didn't think about buying one at the time. Should I try to get one through Best Buy in case this is an issue? Are there any other settings or things I should check to see if they were set up at the store that I may want to change?

3) One problem I have noticed off the bat is that when I switch to some of the HD channels, the channel will load up for a split second and the orange "HD Signal" light will go on, but then there is a pause and the screen goes black/the picture disappears, the "HD Signal" light goes off. Then after another split second, the picture reappears and everything is back to normal.

4) Someone mentioned setting this particular cable box to "pass through" mode to allow the Sony to process the signal on its own. How does one do that?

5) Is there anything else major that I should know?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
post #1937 of 2287 Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semckim View Post

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and just picked up one of these beautiful 46 inch TV's over the weekend at Best Buy. I haven't had a chance to go through this entire thread yet, but was hoping you all might have a few answers to some initial questions. I am connected to TW Cable through a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC and Monster HDMI cable.

Welcome to the forum, and the Z5100 owner's thread. If I may ask, how much did the Monster cable cost you? If you can return it, I recommend doing so and buying one through Monoprice.com, where you'll save quite a few $$

Quote:

1) I purchased the on-display/clearance set from Best Buy. It came with only the TV, stand, and power cord. The remote is not the original remote and just one they had lying around (Sony RM-YDO35). It works but isn't nearly as nice as the one I see in the online manual. Is there a benefit to having the original remote, and if so does anyone have any recommendations of where to get one? I have seen a few available online/ebay/etc.

There is a lot to this display, and quite a few shortcuts on the remote, so it may be worth getting, if not too much $$

Quote:

Also, should I order a copy of the manual? Beside the manual, is there anything else that would have been in the box that I should try to track down?

You can download the manual for free from the Sonystyle website.

Quote:

2) Because this was a display model (I'm not sure how long it was out on the showroom floor), should I be concerned about the life of the TV or display (screen burning out, etc)? I was not offered a warranty and didn't think about buying one at the time. Should I try to get one through Best Buy in case this is an issue? Are there any other settings or things I should check to see if they were set up at the store that I may want to change?

No screen burn-in with LCDs. You can get a 3 yr warranty from Amazon for under $100, and I would recommend getting it, as service calls are expensive.

Quote:

3) One problem I have noticed off the bat is that when I switch to some of the HD channels, the channel will load up for a split second and the orange "HD Signal" light will go on, but then there is a pause and the screen goes black/the picture disappears, the "HD Signal" light goes off. Then after another split second, the picture reappears and everything is back to normal.

I get this with IO Cable also. Not a problem.

Quote:

4) Someone mentioned setting this particular cable box to "pass through" mode to allow the Sony to process the signal on its own. How does one do that?

Hit the settings button twice on the cable remote. go to picture (I think) and there is the option for upconvert etc, set it to pass-thru.

Also, go into the Sony display settings and set the screen aspect mode to full, and full pixel, for dot-by-dot pixel mapping.

Quote:

Try some of the settings listed on this thread, and the Z5100 calibration thread, as a starting point, or perform your own calibration with a cal disc. Sit back and enjoy.
-Best,
John

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #1938 of 2287 Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello everyone.

1) I purchased the on-display/clearance set from Best Buy. It came with only the TV, stand, and power cord. The remote is not the original remote and just one they had lying around (Sony RM-YDO35). It works but isn't nearly as nice as the one I see in the online manual. Is there a benefit to having the original remote, and if so does anyone have any recommendations of where to get one? I have seen a few available online/ebay/etc. Also, should I order a copy of the manual? Beside the manual, is there anything else that would have been in the box that I should try to track down?

Welcome to the forum. You'll find tons of great info here, and I'm sure you've already read John's (dsskid's) answers to most of your questions. I would strongly suggest starting with some of the picture settings listed on this thread. The best I have found so far are John's, and he has a link to those settings in his signature. Remember, these settings are starting points, and there is certainly no harm in tweaking them to your liking and to suit your viewing environment. Once you have changed any setting, give yourself some time to watch the set with those settings, perhaps even a few days. You will get to know your set very intimately that way, and will be able to really see the effect of the changes under various lighting conditions and with different viewing material (sports, movies, etc.).

I agree with John on the Monster HDMI cable...they are truly a rip-off, and I'm sure BB told you they would provide the best picture over cheap HDMI cable. Not true. As long as an HDMI cable is not defective, there is virtually no difference in picture quality provided by a $5 cable and a $50 cable. Spend the money you save on the remote.

Also, John recommended using the "full pixel" setting. Just a caution, and one that I have gotten caught on before: You won't see the full pixel option in your menu unless you are tuned to an HD channel.

Enjoy your new set, and feel free to ask questions!
Best,
Chris

post #1939 of 2287 Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

semckim,
As Chris kindly mentioned, my settings are in my signature, and Will Munshower's are in his as well. You can also find other settings on The Official Sony Bravia KDL-Z5100 Calibration / Settings Thread

-Best,
John

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #1940 of 2287 Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Hey John,

Can you provide a link to the warranty you were talking about. There are a lot of warranties available, and I am not sure which one in particular applies to this TV.

Best,

Joe
post #1941 of 2287 Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk221990 View Post

Hey John,

Can you provide a link to the warranty you were talking about. There are a lot of warranties available, and I am not sure which one in particular applies to this TV.

Best,

Joe

Hi Joe, sure.

Square Trade:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=TV+warranty

MACK warranty:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ck+TV+warranty

The warranty cost is purchase price driven on both brands.

-Best,
John

P.S. I am not affiliated with Amazon, Square Trade, or Mack in any way, shape or form.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #1942 of 2287 Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Hi Joe, sure.

Square Trade:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=TV+warranty

MACK warranty:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ck+TV+warranty

The warranty cost is purchase price driven on both brands.

-Best,
John

P.S. I am not affiliated with Amazon, Square Trade, or Mack in any way, shape or form.

John,
I bought my 52Z as an open box model for a huge discount, but for the Square Trade warranty in particular, it says it applies to new items. Do you know if the Mack warranty is the same? There is no product info on the amazon page.

Thanks,

Joe
post #1943 of 2287 Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk221990 View Post

John,
I bought my 52Z as an open box model for a huge discount, but for the Square Trade warranty in particular, it says it applies to new items. Do you know if the Mack warranty is the same? There is no product info on the amazon page.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, there is a MACK question and answer thread on this forum frequented by a MACK Rep. Probably get a more accurate answer if you ask the question there.
John

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #1944 of 2287 Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 PM

I have been watching the BlackHawks Playoffs on my 46z5100 and wow its breath taking really. Watching hockey on here, its the best I have ever seen it. I could not be happier with the picture of this set!
post #1945 of 2287 Old 05-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Looks like I need to buy a sound bar. Buzzy vibration noises come out of my speakers when a low, crumbly noise is made.

Going to take it off the wall mount first to make sure that's not the problem, but eh, this blows.
post #1946 of 2287 Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelc View Post

Looks like I need to buy a sound bar. Buzzy vibration noises come out of my speakers when a low, crumbly noise is made.

Going to take it off the wall mount first to make sure that's not the problem, but eh, this blows.

micahaelc,

Something about this doesn't sound right. If your LCD is securely mounted to wall studs or concrete, I cannot imagine this sound manifesting itself.
I would advise that you be certain before removing the set. LCDs don't take kindly to being moved around too much! Do you have any pictures, paintings, or similar mounted on that wall? I've listened to the speakers on the Z. They're 'OK' in regards to TV speakers. I would be more concerned that perhaps you got a set with a blown speaker coil or cone.

Also, room space and the 'wife approval factor' being the reasons to preclude discrete speakers, would be the only reason I would go with a sound bar. Some people say they are OK, most hate them like poison.

Personally, I haven't test drove one that would be worth the money to buy one. However, time and technology change...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #1947 of 2287 Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I almost forgot...Congratulations to CSonntag, for his beloved San Jose Sharks advancement to the Western Conference Finals! My Penguins and I hope to be joining you from the Eastern Conference, tonight!

You see Chris, curses don't last forever!

Oh, no...The possibility of a Pittsburgh-San Jose SCF!!! Chris and I will be spending 12 days as mortal enemies! j/k!

Sorry for the OT...There are quite a few of us that love hockey here. Back to the Z!

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #1948 of 2287 Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

I almost forgot...Congratulations to CSonntag, for his beloved San Jose Sharks advancement to the Western Conference Finals! My Penguins and I hope to be joining you from the Eastern Conference, tonight!

Oh, no...The possibility of a Pittsburgh-San Jose SCF!!! Chris and I will be spending 12 days as mortal enemies! j/k!

Sorry for the OT...There are quite a few of us that love hockey here. Back to the Z!

The Blackhawks got embarassed at home last night, fortunatly they have two more chances to win one. I sure have enjoyed watching them on the Z.
post #1949 of 2287 Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Based on what others have reported, this seems to be the correct assumption.

I think we're about due for a new fw update though.
Especially since my set has all of the sudden started doing the uninitiated POWER CYCLE OFF/ON bug lately.
Never did it in the beginning, but is getting worse.

On another note, the flashlighting and clouding seem to be getting a pinch better the more I use the tv.

Aside from those two things, I'm very happy with my Z.

I am having the same issue with the latest update, my tv just randomlly reboots and comes back on. It just started happening, I have had it on for a couple hours before it happened though.
post #1950 of 2287 Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Thank you my friend! I was almost in disbelief that the Sharks were able to dispatch the Wings so easily...almost too easily...

Would love to enjoy a battle with your Penguins for the Stanley Cup...it would no doubt be a great series! Of course, now that I have moved away from NorCal, THAT is the time the Sharks decide to show up for the playoffs, and I can't get to a game!

There seems to be a curse on me now:

I have been a lifelong Dodger fan, and of course, as soon I moved to the east coast, they decide to move their Spring Training from Florida to Arizona! Drats! I'm convinced it's a sinister plot against me...

Cheers Will,
Chris

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page