post #2101 of 2287 Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHardy View Post

I am also wondering about a compatibility ? Without reading all 70 some pages of this thread. I have a 2009 KDL52Z5100 model, it has always been up to date on it's firmware, connected to a Comcast / Xfinity HD cable box. Over the last few weeks the TV will lose the HD signal, go black for second or two, then go right back to the HD signal. This happens about two to three times every couple hours. I have rebooted the TV, HD box, checked all HDMI cables and checked that I have all of the firmware updates.
Is this a compatibility problem ? TV problem and or a Comcast / Xfinity HD cable box problem? Or a Comcast / Xfinity signal problem ?

Do you have HDMI CEC activated? We've all discovered a plethora of issues with this feature. For me, my AVR would turn itself on and off constantly, whilst everything else is powered down. I would go into preferences and make sure that HDMI control is off, on your TV and any other CEC compliant devices. A great concept on paper...Crappy in execution. And everybody is rushing 1.4a to market. I sure as hell won't be in that line!

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2287 Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Do you have HDMI CEC activated? We've all discovered a plethora of issues with this feature. For me, my AVR would turn itself on and off constantly, whilst everything else is powered down. I would go into preferences and make sure that HDMI control is off, on your TV and any other CEC compliant devices. A great concept on paper...Crappy in execution. And everybody is rushing 1.4a to market. I sure as hell won't be in that line!

Thanks Will. I did have it activated. I will see if this helps. This is the first issue that I have had in almost a year of ownership. This TV has been great so far.
post #2103 of 2287 Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type_R View Post

In the last week or so, I am having nothing but problems with my TV. I do have the latest firmware (aa0176pn) and my TV has been rebooting and my netflix has been acting up bad. Constant rebuffers, the widget freezes, or it keeps losing connection. My TV is not wall hung, and mine also has plenty of ventilation. AC is on all day at my house. Model number is 40Z5100. I made the mistake of not buying any extended warranties . FML.

Just a thought, but if you purchased the Sony TV with a credit card, many of the upper tier credit cards provide a doubling of the manufacturer's warranty. You have to contact the credit card company and use their warranty service, but an extra year of warranty for free is worth it.
post #2104 of 2287 Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am also wondering about a compatibility ? Without reading all 70 some pages of this thread. I have a 2009 KDL52Z5100 model, it has always been up to date on it's firmware, connected to a Comcast / Xfinity HD cable box. Over the last few weeks the TV will lose the HD signal, go black for second or two, then go right back to the HD signal. This happens about two to three times every couple hours. I have rebooted the TV, HD box, checked all HDMI cables and checked that I have all of the firmware updates.
Is this a compatibility problem ? TV problem and or a Comcast / Xfinity HD cable box problem? Or a Comcast / Xfinity signal problem ?

I'd suspect Comcast and/or their STB. Comcast is having a lot of system issues as they end analog transmissions and roll out their new HD package. Their HD STBs aren't up to the quality and capability of the DBS providers either. If other suggestions don't improve your situation you may have to just wait out Comcast's transition issues or switch to DBS.
post #2105 of 2287 Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson486 View Post

how does the z5100 compare to the ex500?

I can't speak or compare since we got our 52" last fall I really haven't had a reason to look at any other TV's. The first time I saw a "Z" series was back in 2008 when we replaced our ancient but trusty Sony 36: CRT XBR. I've been a XBR fan for years and was dead set on getting a newer XBR. Last year we wanted a newer set to replace the MITS RPTV and was set on a LG LED. But the sets were having a audio sync issue so that was ruled out. My wife spotted a unadvertised 42" Z5100 ($400 off). She loved the picture better than the LG. They checked and was out but the salesman said they had the 52" on sale at a insane $1000 off!!!. We haven't looked back since.

Bottom line the reviews and specs speak for themselves. I prefer the matte screen instead of the clear gloss which many feel give colors bit more richer appearance. I look at the Z5100 as a "XBR Lite". Using some of the posters settings here we've got a outstanding picture.
post #2106 of 2287 Old 07-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Just curious as to "settings" with Cable/DBS vs Blu-Ray. Are there some that either needs to be adjusted and tuned or help in the PQ. Righ now I have mine pretty much set across the board the same but was wondering if something in the Advance Menu needs to be changed?
post #2107 of 2287 Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

I'd suspect Comcast and/or their STB. Comcast is having a lot of system issues as they end analog transmissions and roll out their new HD package.

I thought Comcast ended their analog transmissions many months ago? I remember this when I was still living in California, 1-2 years ago now. Could it have been regionally phased out?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #2108 of 2287 Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

I thought Comcast ended their analog transmissions many months ago? I remember this when I was still living in California, 1-2 years ago now. Could it have been regionally phased out?

Comcast just ended their analog broadcasts in metro-Denver in June of this year and they are currently in the process of rolling out their new Xfinity HD package. These two actions have caused considerable system problems for Comcast, at least in the metro-Denver area. If your area is now getting all the Xfinity commercials, you are part of the system upgrades that are taxing Comcast's reliability.
post #2109 of 2287 Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Well following up on my previous posts. I finally had a tech out to replace the main board and the power source on my set. Its only been a couple days and so far so good however the new board is at least 2 versions behind in firmware. Its 0136 and the set is asking me to upgrade now. I'm afraid if I do I'll go right back to the rebooting problem. If i don't I wont be able to access all the internet features. Decisions , decisions....
post #2110 of 2287 Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by amed View Post

Well following up on my previous posts. I finally had a tech out to replace the main board and the power source on my set. Its only been a couple days and so far so good however the new board is at least 2 versions behind in firmware. Its 0136 and the set is asking me to upgrade now. I'm afraid if I do I'll go right back to the rebooting problem. If i don't I wont be able to access all the internet features. Decisions , decisions....

It's not the firmware that gave you the problems, or we would all be experiencing it.

-Best,
John

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #2111 of 2287 Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
JwS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post

I just had to call Sony for warranty service on my TV (a 52-incher). There's a noticeable vertical line of pixels, from top to bottom, that after about an hour or so of the TV being on, get stuck in a blue position. Changing inputs doesn't do anything, only thing that seems to help is turning the TV off for a few minutes and then turning back on. TV has plenty of ventilation, it's not wall-mounted or in a cabinet. That being said, it has gotten hotter here as of late.

Anyone else seen an issue like this with these sets? The set was fine the past six months I've had it.

They're going to have someone out next Thursday, we'll see what happens.

Any update on the service of your Sony set with the vertical line of pixels? A buddy of mine has the 52 Z and has a similar problem. Sony sent a contractor out to replace one of the main boards and that didn't fix the issue. Next step is to replace the whole panel, just waiting on part to come across the ocean.
LL
post #2112 of 2287 Old 07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been previously discussed in this thread, but I am on my iPhone and it's not practical to search from here.

Does the Z output 5.1 through the optical out regardless of source or input used? In other words, if I am using a DVR connected via HDMI can I output the DD signal to a soundbar that decodes DD? The new Vizio VHT210 decodes DD.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #2113 of 2287 Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been previously discussed in this thread, but I am on my iPhone and it's not practical to search from here.

Does the Z output 5.1 through the optical out regardless of source or input used? In other words, if I am using a DVR connected via HDMI can I output the DD signal to a soundbar that decodes DD? The new Vizio VHT210 decodes DD.

I'll need to double-check when I get home, but I'm fairly certain that's exactly how I have mine set up. I do get DD through my AVR from the set.
post #2114 of 2287 Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I am connected via HDMI from STB/PVR and then output 5.1 from the TV to my AVR, so what you want to do should work
post #2115 of 2287 Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

I'll need to double-check when I get home, but I'm fairly certain that's exactly how I have mine set up. I do get DD through my AVR from the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

I am connected via HDMI from STB/PVR and then output 5.1 from the TV to my AVR, so what you want to do should work

Thank you gentlemen! Still wondering about possible audio lag, so I guess I'll have to try it to be sure.

post #2116 of 2287 Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 PM

I was supposed to have my panel replaced today (I'm the guy complaining of the blue line a few pages back). Honestly, and I do not kid or exaggerate here, this is the sequence of events today:

- Quoted an install window of 1-5. Worldwide Techservices is the company.

- Get home at 1.

- No show at 5. Call company. They say the tech will call me.

- Tech calls 2 hours later and says his car was stolen, and then found by the police 4 hours later with the GPS still inside. He still wants to do the install tonight but has another one in Seattle.

- I get a call at 10:15pm (?!) from this guy saying he still wants to come tonight - and that he'll be at my place by midnight! I nix this idea and he says I'm now first in line on Monday.

He seems like a nice guy... but wow!
post #2117 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 AM

I have had my 4600Z for a few months and with the settings help provided here, the picture quality has been great. There is one problem that I'm having that is very annoying. The picture is cut off on the top and bottom of the screen. It tends to cut in half information bands that are so popular today and run across the screen, usually on the bottom.

I also notice that the picture is frequently squashed vertically making people look shorter and fatter than normal.

I am usually watching satellite signal and watch HD and non HD programming.

I would be grateful if someone explain why these problems exist and tell me how to adjust them out?
post #2118 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuter View Post

I have had my 4600Z for a few months and with the settings help provided here, the picture quality has been great. There is one problem that I'm having that is very annoying. The picture is cut off on the top and bottom of the screen. It tends to cut in half information bands that are so popular today and run across the screen, usually on the bottom.

I also notice that the picture is frequently squashed vertically making people look shorter and fatter than normal.

I am usually watching satellite signal and watch HD and non HD programming.

I would be grateful if someone explain why these problems exist and tell me how to adjust them out?

What screen aspect ratio are you utilizing?

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #2119 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Could be STB
post #2120 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 PM

dsskid - My screen aspect ratio is 4:3

castaban - If you were referring to my question... I don't know what STB is.
post #2121 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM

These are my screen settings

wide mode = full
auto wide = on
4:3 Default Full
auto display area on
display area Full Pixel
screen position
vertical size 0
post #2122 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 05:52 PM

STB stands for set top box, in other words what you will get from your cable/sat. company to watch TV. Usually they have different zoom/stretch options
post #2123 of 2287 Old 08-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

STB stands for set top box, in other words what you will get from your cable/sat. company to watch TV. Usually they have different zoom/stretch options

I have Dish Satellite if that helps
post #2124 of 2287 Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

These are my screen settings

wide mode = full
auto wide = on
4:3 Default Full
auto display area on
display area Full Pixel
screen position
vertical size 0

Wide mode stretches the picture, change this to Normal.
4:3 Default set to full will also stretch the picture, set to Normal.

There will be black bars on non-HD programming but the picture will not be distorted from stretching. Some programming is broadcast with black bars, that's normal.... the full setting stretches (distorts) the picture so it will fill the frame on both sides.

I think that would "fix" your concerns. Let us know.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #2125 of 2287 Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee View Post

Wide mode stretches the picture, change this to Normal.
4:3 Default set to full will also stretch the picture, set to Normal.

There will be black bars on non-HD programming but the picture will not be distorted from stretching. Some programming is broadcast with black bars, that's normal.... the full setting stretches (distorts) the picture so it will fill the frame on both sides.

I think that would "fix" your concerns. Let us know.

chinee,

Wide mode gives me four options but none of them is "normal"

I see no difference in picture size when changing to the four options listed under 4.3 Default.

It is interesting to note that when viewing HD or non HD I can scroll through the four options given with the "wide" button. All choices fill the screen. "Full" appears to give me the smallest picture that incliudes the most content.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, no joy yet. I have spent most of the day on this with no result.
post #2126 of 2287 Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

chinee,

I see no difference in picture size when changing to the four options listed under 4.3 Default.

It is interesting to note that when viewing HD or non HD I can scroll through the four options given with the "wide" button. All choices fill the screen. "Full" appears to give me the smallest picture that incliudes the most content.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, no joy yet. I have spent most of the day on this with no result.

HD is Full , Full Pixal will be smaller with no overscan... Some old shows in wide screen You may notice on Left & Right it don't go to the end of the screen...
post #2127 of 2287 Old 08-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Success!!! I found the information that put me on track to solve my picture size/distortion issue on page 52, post #1557. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal D View Post

tallgntlmn'
Just getting started with my 40Z. I have Full Wide. Also have DirecTV so went to Menu>Setup>System Setup>HDTV>Native on, Screen Format Original, TV ratio 16:9, TV Resolutions tick 1080p,1080i. You can also tick 480p and 720p if you want. Hope this helps as I'm still learning ...
Postal D

castaban had responded to my question with, "could be STB" or Set Top Box. This information went right over my pea brain. Hey, I've got Dish HD signal that goes right into my TV via HDMI cable I thought. It must be the TV settings... So I diligently set about reading every post of this owners thread thinking I would find the answer somewhere about how to set the aspect ratio or some such. When I read the above post the light finally blinked on. The problem must be with the Dish Network setup. I went into the setup menu and tried various settings with no luck. Finally, I called Dish customer service and requested a technician, thinking I had tried everything and ready to tell him/her so. When I explained the issue to him he said to press the star button on the bottom of the Dish remote. To my amazement the picture size immediately shrunk. Repeated pressing of the star button produces different picture sizes/formats. I found one that works great. Most of the programming fills the screen and is no longer distorted. It magically changes size when programming changes or when commercials come on to keep the proportions accurate.

Reading the thread was time consuming but informative but I'm going to read the last twenty pages or so to see what else I can absorb.

I want to thank all the people that have contributed to this information base. Especially Will & John for their incredible effort and diligence in sharing their considerable knowledge with us.
post #2128 of 2287 Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I have the same issue with my Comcast HD DVR. I have never been able to pinpoint the cause. I have no issues with a Sony BDP-S360. Both the Comcast box and BD player go through a Sony HT-S360 HTiB via HDMI.

So I am not sure where the problem arises, but I suspect that when I get the blanking it is due some sort of HDMI HDCP handshake. Again I never get lose of signal on the BD player.

post #2129 of 2287 Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

chinee,

Sorry about responding with less-than-accuarte info... I was sitting in front of my W4100 when I typed my post and used the menu info from that set. The Z5100 menu choices are different, yet perform the same functions... why can't manufacturers show some consistency within their product lines?

But anyway, glad you found the solution. Your viewing pleasure will now be so much more satisfying!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #2130 of 2287 Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Hello
We just went to AT&T Uverse from DISh and right away I noticed the blacks are blacker yet skin tones are pretty close as before. I'm using "dsskid" settings he's posted. I'd like to dial back the overall darkness or increase the lightness but still retain the blacks. I mean they make the set look like a LED compared to DISH. All the other tones and colors look dead on, just need to lighten it a bit. Where do I need to start? Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page