AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Hello
We just went to AT&T Uverse from DISh and right away I noticed the blacks are blacker yet skin tones are pretty close as before. I'm using "dsskid" settings he's posted. I'd like to dial back the overall darkness or increase the lightness but still retain the blacks. I mean they make the set look like a LED compared to DISH. All the other tones and colors look dead on, just need to lighten it a bit. Where do I need to start? Thanks

Hi, are you referring to over all light output? Different than brightness setting, which directly controls black. If you want to increase light output, you can increase contrast,back light, or gamma (last resort). Backlight may slightly lighten the blacks, but will increase overall light output rather quickly. Increasing contrast will only affect the high end (white), but having it oo high can clip white detail, or produce grayscale colorshift at white.

My posted settings put out around 38-40 ftls, which is normally good. Increase contrast first maybe two or three clicks, and see if it achieve what you want. If not, raise backlight 1 click.

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2287 Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bumped up one notch only the Adv Contrast Enhancer to "Low" and Gamma to "1". That seemed to make a differnce while not lightening up normal scenes. Brightness washed everything out. All other settings remain unchanged.
post #2133 of 2287 Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey guys (and gals),

As I have my z5100 in an open den area in my home's great room, I don't have it hooked to a true surround system (I have that in my Home Theater). However, I am looking to replace the internal speakers with a soundbar. The plan is to leave the Standard DVD player, the DirecTV box, and the Wii system hooked to the tv, and then run the sound from the tv optical output to the optical input on the soundbar. As I understand it, our optical out will pass Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, correct? Does it pass the bitstream or does it pass PCM? The soundbar I am considering will decode DD 5.1, so I just wanted to make sure the Z's output will support it.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #2134 of 2287 Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by semckim View Post

Hello everyone.
2) Because this was a display model (I'm not sure how long it was out on the showroom floor), should I be concerned about the life of the TV or display (screen burning out, etc)? I was not offered a warranty and didn't think about buying one at the time. Should I try to get one through Best Buy in case this is an issue? Are there any other settings or things I should check to see if they were set up at the store that I may want to change?
Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Hours of use:
Follow the steps below:
1 - TV Stand-by
2 - press the button +
3 - 5 key awards
4 - Press VOL-button
5 - Press TV button I / O
The TV turns on normally, but in semi-transparent curtain at the top numerical groups appear. Like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (filled with the numbers )
The represents the number of hours of viewing Z.
First xxxxx means hours of use
Secound xxxxx how many times it was turned on

Hope it helps.
post #2135 of 2287 Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OK, so here is the transcript of my chat session with Sony Service about the optical out on our tv. You can see he was misinformed at first, but then changed his tune. I'm still not convinced he has it right. Any comments?

user Christian has entered room

analyst Nickolas_ has entered room

Nickolas_> Hi Christian. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Nickolas. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
Christian> ok

Nickolas_> Thank you for waiting, Christian. I'll be glad to assist you with the information about the Optical OUT port feature of the TV.

Nickolas_> The Optical OUT port of the TV works only when the CABLE/ANTENNA port of the TV is connected.

Christian> So it will not output a signal from a satellite receiver connected to an HDMI input?

Nickolas_> Yes, that's correct.
Christian> Oh, I was under the impression that this model did

Christian> where does it explain this in the user manual?

Nickolas_> I'm sorry for the confusion.
Nickolas_> Yes, you can output the audio from the satellite receiver connected to an HDMI input of the TV.

Nickolas_> I meant from the Digital Optical OUT port.

Christian> I thought you just said the optical out works only with the cable/antenna input connected?

Nickolas_> Yes, but the newer TV models works even when the HDMI port of the TV is connected.

Nickolas_> I am sorry for the confusion before.

Christian> ok, so then what format is the output? Bitstream, or PCM?

Nickolas_> It is PCM.
Christian> PCM only? There is no way to select between the two in the menu?

Nickolas_> Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.

Nickolas_> Thank you for waiting, Christian.

Christian> ok

Nickolas_> I have checked the information and the Optical Audio OUT outputs PCM only.
Christian> Ok, thank you

Nickolas_> You're welcome.

Nickolas_> Are you able to take it from here?

Christian> yes, thank you.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #2136 of 2287 Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

OK, so here is the transcript of my chat session with Sony Service about the optical out on our tv. You can see he was misinformed at first, but then changed his tune. I'm still not convinced he has it right. Any comments?

Nickolas_> Yes, but the newer TV models works even when the HDMI port of the TV is connected.

Nickolas_> I am sorry for the confusion before.

Christian> ok, so then what format is the output? Bitstream, or PCM?

Nickolas_> It is PCM.
Christian> PCM only? There is no way to select between the two in the menu?

Nickolas_> Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.

Nickolas_> Thank you for waiting, Christian.

Christian> ok

Nickolas_> I have checked the information and the Optical Audio OUT outputs PCM only.

I think I am probably the first, or one of the first, on this thread to use the digital optical out from the Z5100 for audio feed through from a DBS receiver connected to the Sony via HDMI. Since my A/V receiver that receives the audio from the Z5100 automatically displays the the type of signal it is receiving, I can assure you that the Z5100 passes the DD 5.1 from my Dish Network receiver to my A/V receiver as a DD 5.1 signal and I get discrete center channel, sub-woofer and rear speaker signals.

Now there is one transient issue that I've encountered with this setup. We watch our Z5100 over 200 hours/month, mostly Dish DBS content, and about once a month, the Z5100 will post a message to the effect that it can't detect an audio output signal (the signal to my A/V receiver) and is automatically switching to the TV's on-board speakers. I've watched my A/V's receiver screen when the TV has shown this message and it doesn't give any indication of signal loss or breakup. I replaced the optical cable with a high quality new cable, but the issue still occurs. I can only think that it is is some transient malfunction in the Z5100's hardware or firmware. Since I haven't seen anyone comment on this, it may be limited to my set rather than all Z5100's. Since the issue is not readily reproduceable, it doesn't make any sense to pursue it as a warranty issue.
post #2137 of 2287 Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 AM

I must say that I have a lot of problems with my 52Z5500, The HD(TV) PQ is awfull (sic! ). I campared this TV with my 46W4500 one by one and w4500 wins with its hands down. I connect "Z" to the same devaice (sat receiver + the same HDMI cable )) so "W" was. No chance.. the same -as mentioned over - conclusion. I.m begin to believe that my "Z" is foulty.Unfortunately there is very sick low in Poland and I can not return it to the shop where I bought it 5 days ago !!! All I can do is calling for the service. PS. What is very strange I notice a very good PC on SD programmes ! Is a new (better ? ) HDMI cable could help. My 46W4500 doesn't needed one !
If you have any suggestions in this case pls. let me know.
post #2138 of 2287 Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernet View Post

I must say that I have a lot of problems with my 52Z5500, The HD(TV) PQ is awfull (sic! ). I campared this TV with my 46W4500 one by one and w4500 wins with its hands down. I connect "Z" to the same devaice (sat receiver + the same HDMI cable )) so "W" was. No chance.. the same -as mentioned over - conclusion. I.m begin to believe that my "Z" is foulty.Unfortunately there is very sick low in Poland and I can not return it to the shop where I bought it 5 days ago !!! All I can do is calling for the service. PS. What is very strange I notice a very good PC on SD programmes ! Is a new (better ? ) HDMI cable could help. My 46W4500 doesn't needed one !
If you have any suggestions in this case pls. let me know.

Good morning ernet.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with your Z5500. Most here are having a much different experience. Since the HDMI cable works well with W4500, it can't be the cable.
  1. Did you calibrate your Z5500?
  2. What are the current settings that you are using?
  3. What is your room's environment like?
  4. Is your W4500 calibrated?
  5. What picture qualities of the W4500 do you find more favorable over than the Z5500?

- Best,
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #2139 of 2287 Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Good morning ernet.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with your Z5500. Most here are having a much different experience. Since the HDMI cable works well with W4500, it can't be the cable.
  1. Did you calibrate your Z5500?
  2. What are the current settings that you are using?
  3. What is your room's environment like?
  4. Is your W4500 calibrated?
  5. What picture qualities of the W4500 do you find more favorable over than the Z5500?

- Best,
John

First of all - I do appreciate your reply

[*]Did you calibrate your Z5500?
Nope in professional meanning. I still work on it on my own. But I turned on some options you turned off in your "White book ". I mean settings. It made SD signal even much better.I put them in here in my next post as it is now too late.
[*]What are the current settings that you are using?
I put them in here in my next post as it is now too late.
[*]What is your room's environment like?
Medium lighted room. I used to watch TV after 6pm.
[*]Is your W4500 calibrated?
Only on my own.And it suited me (very) fine.
[*]What picture qualities of the W4500 do you find more favorable over than the Z5500?
There is one and only;SHARPNESS. I put it almost to the max range however I know that most of LCD users usually set it at the oposite end. Again: the lack of sharpness makes me sad.But... there is always but, isn't it ?
Today I noticed the PQ is very different at different chanels. I also discovered that PQ of same programmes ( not all ) at Canal + Sport HD ( well known European provider ) were very..... good . Same at some ( not all ) Animal Planet HD programmes.No lack of sharpness at all !? So I begin to believe that the HD PQ could depends of quality of programmes technical status. Eg. older movies or older programmes are probably upscalling to HD resolutions and this is why the HD PQ is worst than the present make one. The only doubts I have about that I did not notice that in my previous TV ( 46W4500- highly recommended BTW ). As I mentioned(?) before I bought exhibiton TV ( is it a proper world?). I chacked work hours and it has 530h. Not much IMO. But there is a psyhological awareness and it could make me that I do not feel as comfortabel as I want to. And I'm more suspicious than the new unit one. No more that kind of buying in the future. Now ( keeping in mind what you mentioned about HDMI cable ) I ordered the 1.4a version because I read your post after that. Well... my mistake. One cable more could be fine for future.
post #2140 of 2287 Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all - I do appreciate your reply

You're welcome.

Quote:

[*]Did you calibrate your Z5500?
Nope in professional meanning. I still work on it on my own.

No, I wasn't referring to professional calibration. Even home calibration can make vast improvements in picture quality. Glad to see that you did.

Quote:

But I turned on some options you turned off in your "White book ". I mean settings.

Glad you distinguished the two. My settings are proper for my display, in my viewing environment. That being said, ideal settings can vary greatly depending upon your situation.

Quote:

It made SD signal even much better.I put them in here in my next post as it is now too late.
[*]What are the current settings that you are using?
I put them in here in my next post as it is now too late.
[*]What is your room's environment like?
Medium lighted room. I used to watch TV after 6pm.
[*]Is your W4500 calibrated?
Only on my own.And it suited me (very) fine.

Good.

Quote:

[*]What picture qualities of the W4500 do you find more favorable over than the Z5500?
There is one and only;SHARPNESS. I put it almost to the max range however I know that most of LCD users usually set it at the oposite end. Again: the lack of sharpness makes me sad.But... there is always but, isn't it ?
Today I noticed the PQ is very different at different chanels. I also discovered that PQ of same programmes ( not all ) at Canal + Sport HD ( well known European provider ) were very..... good . Same at some ( not all ) Animal Planet HD programmes.No lack of sharpness at all !? So I begin to believe that the HD PQ could depends of quality of programmes technical status. Eg. older movies or older programmes are probably upscalling to HD resolutions and this is why the HD PQ is worst than the present make one.

Very true. If you have a blu ray disc, put the movie in each display and compare the results. The Z5500 should look as good, if not better than the W4500. Too high a sharpness setting will introduce edge enhancement, which will obscure the real detail of the programming.

Quote:

The only doubts I have about that I did not notice that in my previous TV ( 46W4500- highly recommended BTW ).

The larger the TV size, the more noticeable any imperfections are.

Quote:

As I mentioned(?) before I bought exhibiton TV ( is it a proper world?). I chacked work hours and it has 530h. Not much IMO. But there is a psyhological awareness and it could make me that I do not feel as comfortabel as I want to. And I'm more suspicious than the new unit one. No more that kind of buying in the future. Now ( keeping in mind what you mentioned about HDMI cable ) I ordered the 1.4a version because I read your post after that. Well... my mistake. One cable more could be fine for future.

Could be, but with such low hours, I doubt it. The only other answer would be it's defective.

-Best,
John

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #2141 of 2287 Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 AM

Everyone ready for football? I enjoyed the Vikings VS the Saints the other night. looking forward to Sunday though the Bears look pathetic. Anyone have any picks?
post #2142 of 2287 Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightclaws View Post

Everyone ready for football? I enjoyed the Vikings VS the Saints the other night. looking forward to Sunday though the Bears look pathetic. Anyone have any picks?

Hi Tightclaws. I'm ready. I need something to watch other than my dreadful Mets.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #2143 of 2287 Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Football? Hmmm...It doesn't ring any bells. However, hockey season begins in a few weeks. I am super-psyched for this season!

BTW, fellas...I picked up an LG BD590 Blu-Ray players. It is by far the best BD/streaming player out in the wild. It is so good, in fact, that it replaced my PS3 in my main HT. I put it in the living room on the XBR2 60". The larger screen size and the huge space in the living room are a perfect match for RB, RB II, and RB The Beatles!

Does everyone enjoy their 52"? Any failures or other issues that have come up? I'm still enjoying my set, over a year after purchase. It still shines!

Best regards, everyone...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #2144 of 2287 Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Let's go Islanders!?! No, I'm trouble-free as far as a 52" goes....cause I have a 46". Sorry, couldn't resist. Mine has been flawless, really enjoying it.

Will how have you been?

-John

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #2145 of 2287 Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

BTW, fellas...I picked up an LG BD590 Blu-Ray players. It is by far the best BD/streaming player out in the wild.

I have the 570, I think it's a 590 without the 250GB onboard storage, and it is a really nice unit. Picked it up as a store demo from BB in March or April for a steal, just $69.99. I'm sure it has a lot of hours on it, but as a secondary player with built-in wifi, Netflix, etc., $70 was quite a bargain.

Setting up, including wifi, was easy as pie. It's connected to a 2yr old LG 720p plaz and the player has improved the usuability of this screen. The 570 is a really solid unit.

My 46Z is my main viewer and has only one flaw... it should be a 52"! I'm still enjoying it after 8 months... and I hope for many more years.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #2146 of 2287 Old 09-11-2010, 11:42 PM

I'm loving my 46' so far since April I told the Blackhawks would do it! Go BEARS umm yeah they need an offensive line which they don't have. BTW even my Wii looks great on the 46Z5100.
post #2147 of 2287 Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Football season and the US Open remind me of the extraordinarily clear and sharp HD picture I can receive with my 52Z5100 (purchased 5/30/09). For games I really want to see at the best possible HD PQ, I switch to the on-board OTA tuner (obviously not an option for those ESPN games). Otherwise, my Dish HD-DVR does almost as good with its OTA tuner. Too bad I'm going to have to endure another disaster season with the Broncos as our Napoleon-like coach goes about destroying a once admired franchise.

We've been utilizing the Sony BDP-N460 BD player I talked the wife into purchasing last Christmas more since we joined NetFlix last month. I've activated NetFlix from both the TV and the BD player (Cat 6 to a switch on the HT stand and Cat 6 to my router. The latter is a sore point with the wife and I've promised to re-run that hardwire outside from the 2nd floor office/bedroom, down to and into the basement, and back up the wall behind the HT). So far, we've had both streaming movies without pauses to re-buffer and movies that pause every few minutes for a period of time. Comcast claims they are providing 12 Mbs service though I've never seen over 9.7 Mbs running various speed tests. Not surprisingly, the streaming HD movies encounter more pause to re-buffer events than do the non-HD movies (the most plentiful of NetFlix streaming movies). I suspect that the really bad pause movies are also being affected by my Comcast node neighbors heavily working the internet while we are watching those movies. If I could document my suspicions, I'd take it up with Comcast and see if they could split our node into two or more nodes.

BTW, I'm really impressed with how those non-HD streaming movies are upscaled in my system. I'm not sure if it is the BD player or the Z doing the upscaling as the BD player settings are very confusing as to what the settings do and don't do. In any event the non-HD streaming movies look as good as many HD movies via Starz HD on Dish. OTOH, I have to admit that the HD PQ of BDs isn't dramatically better than the best Starz HD via Dish. I think that the difference in HD PQ of good upscaled 1080i to 1080p is about as different from true 1080p as is the difference between 720p and 1080i (both upscaled to 1080p on my Z). Just my 2 cents here, don't want to start war.
post #2148 of 2287 Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to give a heads up on a minor issue. As I posted a few days ago, I just bought an LG BD-590. I love this player! However, I forgot to mention that when I threw in my first movie, Star Trek 2009, I saw what looked like edge enhancement! It quickly drove me insane, so I grabbed the calibration disks. Sure enough, I saw ringing on the over-scan raster.

I had to drop my sharpness all the way down to eliminate the ringing. I remember us talking early on regarding the concern of having to go so low on sharpness and that we were grateful that, once in the single digits, we were good to go. Having nowhere to go as far as down is concerned is a little troubling.

I'll have to scour the manual on the LG and hope there is a picture setting circuit. There must be one. I suppose, since this is LG's flagship model. I'll check it out.

Oh, and I cranked my back-light up to 3! How about dat!

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #2149 of 2287 Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just wanted to give a heads up on a minor issue. As I posted a few days ago, I just bought an LG BD-590. I love this player! However, I forgot to mention that when I threw in my first movie, Star Trek 2009, I saw what looked like edge enhancement! It quickly drove me insane, so I grabbed the calibration disks. Sure enough, I saw ringing on the over-scan raster.

I had to drop my sharpness all the way down to eliminate the ringing. I remember us talking early on regarding the concern of having to go so low on sharpness and that we were grateful that, once in the single digits, we were good to go. Having nowhere to go as far as down is concerned is a little troubling.

I'll have to scour the manual on the LG and hope there is a picture setting circuit. There must be one. I suppose, since this is LG's flagship model. I'll check it out.

Hey Will, how have you been?

Interesting with the LG. Do you think it's something that can be fixed via a firmware?

How do you like Backlight set to 3?

-Best,
John

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #2150 of 2287 Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Years ago, the early up-scaling HD-DVD players commonly had chips that introduced a lot of edge enhancement to achieve their up-scaled affect. I'd be surprised if a BD player would introduce edge-enhancement to a BD disc, but I guess anything is possible. Have you checked all the on-line reviews of that BD player to see if there are any comments regarding the introduction of edge enhancement on BD discs? While you have apparently tuned-out the edge enhancement, one really shouldn't have to compromise the HDTV's settings to compensate for an issue with an input piece of equipment.
post #2151 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

CEB II,

Yup. Yesterday, I went through and actually read the 100 page manual. It has a REAL manual...I couldn't believe it!

I found a section that described the video processing settings, which I did not know existed, in the on-screen menu. Contrast, brightness, color, hue and sharpness can be tweaked in this section.

I basically dropped down the sharpness and contrast a bit. This allowed me to change my settings back to the way they were. Thanks! Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #2152 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CEB II,

Yup. Yesterday, I went through and actually read the 100 page manual. It has a REAL manual...I couldn't believe it!

I found a section that described the video processing settings, which I did not know existed, in the on-screen menu. Contrast, brightness, color, hue and sharpness can be tweaked in this section.

I basically dropped down the sharpness and contrast a bit. This allowed me to change my settings back to the way they were. Thanks! Will

Will,
I noticed in the Amazon reviews of your BD player at least one complaint about "graininess" (sounded like your edge enhancement description). The reviewer minimized the BD player's Sharpness setting to eliminate the problem. However, the reviewer commented that doing so "softened" the 1080p HD PQ on his HDTV. The reviewer sounded very technically knowledgeable, so I think you and he may have just stumbled upon a basic design flaw with your BD player. Perhaps LG will issue a software update to correct the issue. You might try contacting LG's technical support so that they are aware that consumers have noted the issue.
Carl
post #2153 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Carl,

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out. I'm going to head over to Amazon and read that owner's review. I also have a few magazine reviews that I'm going to re-read to see what I missed. Thanks again...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #2154 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Looking for some troubleshooting tips. I just finished watching the whole BSG series in bluray and noticed some really bad flickering. I thought maybe it was the discs, but then I started to notice some flickering watching Comcast HD content. I've got an XBR in another room receiving the same broadcast and also connected to a Sony bluray player and there's no noticeable flicker from either source. This leads me to the Z5100 as the culprit.

I just got done chatting with Sony tech support and all they could tell me was to do a factory reset:
-Please try resetting the TV to the Factory Default Settings.
-Please turn ON the TV.
-While holding down the UP arrow button on the Remote Control, press the Power button on the TV.
-The TV will turn itself OFF, then back ON again. Then, release the UP arrow button.
-To reset the TV, please disconnect the power cord for a short period of time (approximately 1 minute). Then, reconnect the power cord and turn ON the TV.

Is there anything else I can try? I do have the latest firmware loaded and the tv is connected via ethernet.
post #2155 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

vrsixer,

Do you have a single HDMI input to your Z that carries your Comcast cable and Blu-Ray? If so, did you try swapping out your HDMI cable?

Is the flickering random, or is there a fixed pattern? Also, you could try another HDMI input on the Z. It is certainly not unheard of for an HDMI port go south. Since HDMI connectors are only held in by friction, with no stress relief, it is not unheard of to have an HDMI input or output fail.

Hopefully, this will help...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #2156 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Will,

I've got the Comcast box directly connected to the Z via HDMI. I've got the Sony bluray-->Denon-->Z via HDMI. So 2 different HDMI paths to the Z giving the same problems.
There's not a pattern to the flicker that I can see, and it's not the whole screen flickering. It looks like a little flash bulbs going off in certain parts of the screen randomly. I thought maybe power related, but I have line conditioners in-line to clean up the power. I guess I can reboot all the power for SNG to eliminate the power.

Is there anything in the settings that can affect this problem? I think I set NR all the way up to reduce the flicker, but it softens the picture too much.
post #2157 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrsixer View Post

Will,

I've got the Comcast box directly connected to the Z via HDMI. I've got the Sony bluray-->Denon-->Z via HDMI. So 2 different HDMI paths to the Z giving the same problems.
There's not a pattern to the flicker that I can see, and it's not the whole screen flickering. It looks like a little flash bulbs going off in certain parts of the screen randomly. I thought maybe power related, but I have line conditioners in-line to clean up the power. I guess I can reboot all the power for SNG to eliminate the power.

Is there anything in the settings that can affect this problem? I think I set NR all the way up to reduce the flicker, but it softens the picture too much.

Personally, if it were me, I'd write down all of my current settings and then implement the factory reset. If the factory reset doesn't eliminate the problem, get back with Sony. If the factory reset does eliminate the problem, then slowly implement your prior setup settings; ensuring with each change that the problem doesn't return.
post #2158 of 2287 Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Personally, if it were me, I'd write down all of my current settings and then implement the factory reset. If the factory reset doesn't eliminate the problem, get back with Sony. If the factory reset does eliminate the problem, then slowly implement your prior setup settings; ensuring with each change that the problem doesn't return.

Yup, that's what I had planned on doing tonight. I'll bounce the power and reset to factory defaults. If the problem is still there, I'll contact Sony for a service call.
If the problem goes away, then I was hoping someone can provide some insight on what can cause the problem so I'm not shooting in the dark.
post #2159 of 2287 Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Now there is one transient issue that I've encountered with this setup. We watch our Z5100 over 200 hours/month, mostly Dish DBS content, and about once a month, the Z5100 will post a message to the effect that it can't detect an audio output signal (the signal to my A/V receiver) and is automatically switching to the TV's on-board speakers. I've watched my A/V's receiver screen when the TV has shown this message and it doesn't give any indication of signal loss or breakup. I replaced the optical cable with a high quality new cable, but the issue still occurs. I can only think that it is is some transient malfunction in the Z5100's hardware or firmware. Since I haven't seen anyone comment on this, it may be limited to my set rather than all Z5100's. Since the issue is not readily reproduceable, it doesn't make any sense to pursue it as a warranty issue.

No, this isn't just a problem on your Z5100. I've seen it on my W5100, and it occurs on the analog output also. I have a headphone preamp hooked up to the analog output, since I do a fair amount of TV watching after the family is in bed. I get the same message you have seen, and all of a sudden the TV speakers are on if I don't react quick enough. It doesn't happen very often, but it can be quite annoying.

It hasn't happened often enough for me to observe what other conditions may be leading to this problem. Perhaps it only happens when I am watching something via an HDMI input. 90% of my late night TV viewing is OTA TV programs that I have previously recorded on my home server and then streamed to the TV via the network using the TV's DLNA capability. Another 5% is Amazon VOD. So I wonder if the problem is only occurring when I am watching a DVD or BD via the BluRay player.

Another possibility is the BluRay player itself, rather than the HDMI input(s). Do you know for sure that the problem has happened while watching something on your Dish DBS receiver? I remember that you and I both have Sony BluRay players in the same "family" (not the same models).

I'm going to try to keep note in the future regarding what the input source is when I observe this problem.
post #2160 of 2287 Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmar View Post

No, this isn't just a problem on your Z5100. I've seen it on my W5100, and it occurs on the analog output also. I have a headphone preamp hooked up to the analog output, since I do a fair amount of TV watching after the family is in bed. I get the same message you have seen, and all of a sudden the TV speakers are on if I don't react quick enough. It doesn't happen very often, but it can be quite annoying.

It hasn't happened often enough for me to observe what other conditions may be leading to this problem. Perhaps it only happens when I am watching something via an HDMI input. 90% of my late night TV viewing is OTA TV programs that I have previously recorded on my home server and then streamed to the TV via the network using the TV's DLNA capability. Another 5% is Amazon VOD. So I wonder if the problem is only occurring when I am watching a DVD or BD via the BluRay player.

Another possibility is the BluRay player itself, rather than the HDMI input(s). Do you know for sure that the problem has happened while watching something on your Dish DBS receiver? I remember that you and I both have Sony BluRay players in the same "family" (not the same models).

I'm going to try to keep note in the future regarding what the input source is when I observe this problem.

Since 90% of our viewing is off the Dish HD-DVR, I've only seen the audio switch problem occur when watching something from Dish via HDMI.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page