AVS Forum banner

Official Sony KDL-XXZ5100 Owner's Thread

261K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  Leong6gtp 
#1 ·
Just got it delivered. Here are a couple of pics, this is HD on DirecTV. I will post some output on BD later tonight hopefully.

Its a 52Z5100.

#1,883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/18571520

I almost forgot you were coming to The Great State of Florida! It's the perfect time for a New Yorker to come and visit. One, the surf temperature is 72F (too cold for us idiots) and two, you are coming before hurricane season starts.

I've lived through so many of those damnable storms, that if one more hits, I'm outta here. I lived through Andrew in South Florida in '92, nothing has come too close to that one, but they all suck!

Enjoy your stay! Will

Thanks, Will.

I'm there for only three days, and they are all spoken for. My nephew and his family are coming 2 hrs up the coast to visit me on Tuesday (beach day hopefully), and I hope to be able to visit Cape Canaveral Monday.

John

#1,885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18573185

Thanks, Will.

I'm there for only three days, and they are all spoken for. My nephew and his family are coming 2 hrs up the coast to visit me on Tuesday (beach day hopefully), and I hope to be able to visit Cape Canaveral Monday.

John

Have a great trip John. If it's this week, hopefully you won't get hit by the terrible storm that's going through Atlanta as I write this...same storm that dumped all the rain on Tennessee.

Always wanted to see Cape Canaveral...like every kid of the 60's, I was enamored of the space program. I still mis-speak and call it Cape Kennedy all the time...

Best,

Chris

#1,886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18575568

Have a great trip John. If it's this week, hopefully you won't get hit by the terrible storm that's going through Atlanta as I write this...same storm that dumped all the rain on Tennessee.

Always wanted to see Cape Canaveral...like every kid of the 60's, I was enamored of the space program. I still mis-speak and call it Cape Kennedy all the time...

Best,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I'm not leaving until Saturday at noon, so hopefully I miss the storm that you mentioned. I heard you guys are getting hit hard down there. Did you start building an arc yet?

-Best,

John

#1,888 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliocah /forum/post/18575770

Finally pulled the trigger last week on an open box 52z and am incredibly happy. Many thanks to dsskid for the display settings. Going to have to play around with some more of the connected features.

Hooliocah, welcome to the Z5100 owner's thread, and congratulations on your purchase.. I'm glad the settings are working out for you, feel free to tweak them to your environment.

I just started messing around with the widgets and online content myself. Never did any of that stuff before, but it's pretty cool. Enjoy.

-Best,

John

P.S. Sony said they intended to add the ability for more internet content in the near future, via firmware.

#1,889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18575568

Best,

Chris

The name has changed, again. It is now called Kennedy Space Center. After all the furor when the name was changed from Kennedy back to Canaveral there was a mad rush to appease everyone. We just call the whole area KSC.

I hope you like HOT weather, John. It's going to be 95F today. All indications are that it will be near 90F for the next 10 days!

Did I mention that I REALLY dislike the Canadiens, today??

#1,890 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/18575837

The name has changed, again. It is now called Kennedy Space Center. After all the furor when the name was changed from Kennedy back to Canaveral there was a mad rush to appease everyone. We just call the whole area KSC.

I hope you like HOT weather, John. It's going to be 95F today. All indications are that it will be near 90F for the next 10 days!

Did I mention that I REALLY dislike the Canadiens, today??

The hotter the better!

#1,891 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/18482931

I have a 10/100 switch behind my HT. For the TV, all I need is the hard line. With PlayOn, it streams from one of my servers, and from the PS3, the line just bypasses my server. The audio, unfortunately, is only in 2.0 (at this time) from all sources streaming Netflix.

I can also use the Z to stream directly from my server using PS3 Media Server (highly recommended) PMS readily identifies the Z as a DLNA renderer. Using the Z itself, it is quite limited. I can stream my entire movie collection, IPTV, music, home movies and photos, and OTA HD, all without leaving the sofa.

I haven't had cable or satellite for a year. I don't miss anything. Especially the $135.00 per month bill! In all, we have 6 rendering devices in our home, with two servers streaming across two subnets. I love technology!

Oh, I can also stream everything from TVersity to my iPhone, as well. Talk about being a spoiled brat!

There are a lot of streaming video features on the Z. I just haven't checked them out, since the most basic video streaming app only accepts MPEG (VOB), so I kind of expect the same constraints on the other apps. Since the PS3 and other streaming applications do what I need them to do.

On the audio side, I do recommend checking out Slacker. It is highly customizable to your taste and the quality is not too bad.

I hope this helps, I apologize, I am talking on the phone with my wife at the same I'm writing this!

Hi Will,

I was just reviewing old posts and wanted to take a closer look at the options.

I thought that you could only use the PS3 media server through a PS3.
I see Playon has a $19.99 lifetime offering.

This is getting interesting....What content will the PS3 media server or Playon give me than what's already offered on the Z5100 menu? I'm most interested in streaming content, rather photos.

Thanks,

John

#1,892 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18575653

Thanks Chris.

I'm not leaving until Saturday at noon, so hopefully I miss the storm that you mentioned. I heard you guys are getting hit hard down there. Did you start building an arc yet?

-Best,

John

No ark yet John, as it has tapered off somewhat this morning. It was coming down in buckets on my way in to work at 7AM...we're still under a flash flood warning thru noon though. Guess I won't be able to drive with my convertible top down today...but at least the rain puts a (literal) damper on all the pollen...

#1,893 ·
Hey John,

I am still trying to dial in some nice settings on my new EX500, but as I have stated before, I just can't seem to get that "pop" PQ that you were able to get on the z5100. When I compare the two sets, it seems like color accuracy seems pretty good, and black level is ok, but the EX500 seems to have a "haze" or "fog" overlaying the pic that just isn't present on the Z. Is this usually a function of the contrast (picture) setting? I know all the controls interact, but all else being equal is it contrast?

#1,894 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/18575837

Mmmmmmmmmmm...95 and humid...what a treat!

#1,895 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18576215

Hey John,

I am still trying to dial in some nice settings on my new EX500, but as I have stated before, I just can't seem to get that "pop" PQ that you were able to get on the z5100. When I compare the two sets, it seems like color accuracy seems pretty good, and black level is ok, but the EX500 seems to have a "haze" or "fog" overlaying the pic that just isn't present on the Z. Is this usually a function of the contrast (picture) setting? I know all the controls interact, but all else being equal is it contrast?

Chris,

From what you're describing sounds like the picture is washing out, which is usually the result of the brightness (black level) being too high.

When contrast is too high, you usually don't experience that haze effect, but your whites clipping, resulting in loss of detail in the bright parts, and in some cases eyestrain.

Also, if your gamma is set incorrectly, you will come out of black too quickly, which can cause loss of detail in the middle and upper end, and wash the picture out to a degree.

Please post your settings so I can review them to see if something may look out of whack.

-John

#1,896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18576286

Chris,

From what you're describing sounds like the picture is washing out, which is usually the result of the brightness (black level) being too high.

When contrast is too high, you usually don't experience that haze effect, but your whites clipping, resulting in loss of detail in the bright parts, and in some cases eyestrain.

Also, if your gamma is set incorrectly, you will come out of black too quickly, which can cause loss of detail in the middle and upper end, and wash the picture out to a degree.

Please post your settings so I can review them to see if something may look out of whack.

-John

Thanks for the primer John. I'll post the settings either tonight or tomorrow, as I am at work right now.

#1,897 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18576286

Chris,

-John

Given the connectivity of tvs these days, wouldn't it be nice to be able to "log in" to your tv over the web and capture its settings?

#1,898 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18576320

Given the connectivity of tvs these days, wouldn't it be nice to be able to "log in" to your tv over the web and capture its settings?

In your instance, it may be a onetime benefit, but for J6P, I can't imagine that he would actually utilize such a feature.

No big deal. It can wait. I just wanted to see if anything would jump out at me that would seem off.

Imagine if I could remotely access your display? I could send a series of patterns to your display and have the readings relayed back to me, in essence calibrating your tv right from here.

#1,899 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18576378

Imagine if I could remotely access your display? I could send a series of patterns to your display and have the readings relayed back to me, in essence calibrating your tv right from here.

That's not really a far fetched idea.

I've had Dell control my computer remotely, as well as the cable co manipulate the settings to my cable box on the fly.

I don't see why it couldn't be done like that with the tv too.

#1,900 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/18576745

That's not really a far fetched idea.

I've had Dell control my computer remotely, as well as the cable co manipulate the settings to my cable box on the fly.

I don't see why it couldn't be done like that with the tv too.

Putting the patterns up wouldn't be a problem, but not sure how I could actually remotely take readings of what is being displayed.

#1,901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18576792

Putting the patterns up wouldn't be a problem, but not sure how I could actually remotely take readings of what is being displayed.

What if the measuring equipment were also web-enabled? Maybe that's really the only piece that needs to be enabled, as long as someone is there at the site to make adjustments based on the readings you are getting.

#1,902 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18576805

What if the measuring equipment were also web-enabled? Maybe that's really the only piece that needs to be enabled, as long as someone is there at the site to make adjustments based on the readings you are getting.

Actually, I was thinking the opposite. You'd need something to read what was actually being displayed on the TV, and transmit those readings via the web, where they could be processed, and the settings could be manipulated remotely.

Wow, how did we get so off topic. My apologies to everyone.

#1,903 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18576846

Actually, I was thinking the opposite. You'd need something to read what was actually being displayed on the TV, and transmit those readings via the web, where they could be processed, and the settings could be manipulated remotely.

Wow, how did we get so off topic. My apologies to everyone.

You mean like a "Spyder"? Not sure if this is what you mean, and I'm also not sure that this equiment is pro-level...

To quote Mr. Spock: "Fascinating."

#1,904 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18576860

You mean like a "Spyder"? Not sure if this is what you mean, and I'm also not sure that this equiment is pro-level...

To quote Mr. Spock: "Fascinating."

A meter pointed at the screen, or perhaps, the displays picture streamed back via the display's output, untouched to the calibrator's location for readings. But there would be too opportunities for the signal to shift (HDMI cable, during transmission, etc).

#1,905 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/18576918

A meter pointed at the screen, or perhaps, the displays picture streamed back via the display's output, untouched to the calibrator's location for readings. But there would be too opportunities for the signal to shift (HDMI cable, during transmission, etc).

I think you might be onto something here John. Imagine, RemoteISFCalibration.com! I sense an opportunity...

#1,906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag /forum/post/18576970

I think you might be onto something here John. Imagine, RemoteISFCalibration.com! I sense an opportunity...

Even if it were less complicated... like shipping a meter to the customer, and all the customer has to do is point it at the screen, then the info is sent to the calibrator remotely.

I think most users would be willing to do that, if it meant a low cost calibration.

#1,907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/18576991

Even if it were less complicated... like shipping a meter to the customer, and all the customer has to do is point it at the screen, then the info is sent to the calibrator remotely.

I think most users would be willing to do that, if it meant a low cost calibration.

Along with Skype or plain old phone to connect owner and calibrator, and it could work...of course meters tend to not like being shipped around the country....especially the way our airlines handle cargo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.