AVS Forum banner

Official Sony KDL-XXZ5100 Owner's Thread

261K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  Leong6gtp 
#1 ·
Just got it delivered. Here are a couple of pics, this is HD on DirecTV. I will post some output on BD later tonight hopefully.

Its a 52Z5100.

#8 ·
Congrats, looks very nice. I went to BB last night, and noticed the V5100 is LESS reflective than the S5100. Do you know if the Z5100 is any less reflective than the V5100? I only ask because I have a very bright room and I've been waiting for this TV, but no one around me has one on display yet. Reflections must kept to a bare minimum. Again, congrats!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw /forum/post/16496307

Congrats, looks very nice. I went to BB last night, and noticed the V5100 is LESS reflective than the S5100. Do you know if the Z5100 is any less reflective than the V5100? I only ask because I have a very bright room and I've been waiting for this TV, but no one around me has one on display yet. Reflections must kept to a bare minimum. Again, congrats!

i think u should go for v5100 .........its good for shiny rooms........as one of my friend is the owner of that.......i dont know exactly about the z5100 but z5100 is not for shinny rooms that is what i m sure about.........

#10 ·
Congrats on your purchase. Looks nice. Bezel is not as thin as the 2008 46Z4100 I have but still looks good. You mentioned that the Z5100 is bright, did you take it out of Vivid picture mode? Looking forward to seeing more posts on this model as this is one of the 52" models I am considering for later in the year.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw /forum/post/16496307

They are all matte screens so any difference observed would have to be due to positioning when displayed and the store lighting or if you view at an extreme angle as even a matte screen will be reflective from extreme angles but not from normal viewing area.

In normal viewing on my 57" Sharp there is no reflections but If I stand to the adjacent side that is the only time I can see any reflections on my Sharp/Sony matte panels. I've never seen Sony build and display a reflective LCD flat panel TV yet.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/16497445

They are all matte screens so any difference observed would have to be due to positioning when displayed and the store lighting or if you view at an extreme angle as even a matte screen will be reflective from extreme angles but not from normal viewing area.

In normal viewing on my 57" Sharp there is no reflections but If I stand to the adjacent side that is the only time I can see any reflections on my Sharp/Sony matte panels. I've never seen Sony build and display a reflective LCD flat panel TV yet.

Thanks, but there are definitely differences in sony's matte/semi-matte panels. BB had an S5100 and V5100 right next to each other. The S series was much more noticeably reflective. While the V's reflections were more diffused the S's were more mirror like. The Sharps and LG G series were the least reflective (almost nothing!), but PQ was not nearly as good (as they were currently adjusted - you know how it is seeing them at retail, lol!). Last years Z looked liked reflections were more diffused than this years V. So this is why I ask for comments from those who have actually seen them in person. Thank you, though.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw /forum/post/16502980

Does anyone else here have one of these? I'd like to buy today, but waiting to hear more about glare...or hopefully lack of, ha ha!

The tv has only been out for a few weeks i believe, i have a hard time finding answers to my questions to. You may have to wait til there in your local stores to see

#21 ·
sorry all, by the time i got home last night, all i wanted to do is watch the magic/cavs game.

anyways, ill take some shots tonight of some BD shots. whats a good exposure and ISO settings for cameras?

ill also look into the 720 full pixel question and whether or not the stand swivels.

#22 ·
I just bought the 40" Z5100 for my bedroom online from SonyStyle. Should get here at the end of next week. Couldn't find it in stories here yet. I'm really interested in the built-in Ethernet connection capabilities. Supposed to be able to watch Youtube videos and other online stuff using an Ethernet link to your Internet router. Plan to buy a Powerline Ethernet adapter to get my bedroom wired.

Also it is supposed to have the capability of displaying video files from your computer using this Ethernet link with DLNA® (Digital Living Network Alliance) Seems like the effort to combine online and HDTV is coming together.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in DC /forum/post/16511538

I just bought the 40" Z5100 for my bedroom online from SonyStyle. Should get here at the end of next week. Couldn't find it in stories here yet. I'm really interested in the built-in Ethernet connection capabilities. Supposed to be able to watch Youtube videos and other online stuff using an Ethernet link to your Internet router. Plan to buy a Powerline Ethernet adapter to get my bedroom wired.

Also it is supposed to have the capability of displaying video files from your computer using this Ethernet link with DLNA® (Digital Living Network Alliance) Seems like the effort to combine online and HDTV is coming together.

congradulation............its a very beautiful set......i hope you dont face any issues and enjoy the best you can........do tell us ur experience of having it.........

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 /forum/post/16511776

Besides the Wider color gamut on the XBR9 and the thinner bezel, what are the differences on these two sets? I need to decide by 6pm tonight.

The xbr9 has invisible speakers, but i guess that goes under thinner bezel. There really isn't much difference other then what you stated already

edit: xbr9 has seperate tweeters

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletHead /forum/post/16504032

sorry all, by the time i got home last night, all i wanted to do is watch the magic/cavs game.

anyways, ill take some shots tonight of some BD shots. whats a good exposure and ISO settings for cameras?

ill also look into the 720 full pixel question and whether or not the stand swivels.

thank you i appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.