The Official Sony Bravia KDL-Z5100 Calibration / Settings Thread. Post yours! - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 315 Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
to KRS82, i'm not dsskid but i tried to answer your question, these are two links i found interesting about the topic, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990059
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=934751.
Try which setting looks better to your eyes,... for me RGB to full when playing games and for BD i leave it on limited (if i leave it on full the picture is too dark). hope this help.

God bless

joernzal777[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 315 Old 10-12-2010, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Full (0-255) is for games. Limited (16-255) is for movies. If you find limited crushing blacks, use full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #303 of 315 Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM

Forgive me if this isn't the proper place to post this question, but I've looked all over the forum without luck.

I don't have an A/V receiver for surround sound or video switching, so I have my Sony Blu-ray player connected to HDMI 1 on my 46Z5100. My questions center around configuring the player properly for a direct connection to the TV. Settings such as audio setup; do you downmix PCM or can the TV handle Dolby and DTS? With screen settings, how does the TV handle 1080/24p, or Deep Color bit depth (12, 10, or auto?), or HDMI color space (YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, RGB, or auto?)?

It's a rather simple setup, only connecting a Sony Blu-ray player to the TV. But I am a bit confused with this. Any help would be appreciated.
post #304 of 315 Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM

I've owned a KDL-52Z5100 since Oct 2009. After extensive research concerning Sony displays available then, i chose the Z due to the near same feature level compared to the XBR9 (for cheaper) and also the 10 bit panel. From what i've gathered, most inputs don't really exploit the advantages of having a 10 bit panel, but any further insight would be appreciated.

After reading through this (very informative) thread, i feel i have been running an overall picture that was too "blue". I was using standard picture setting with neutral color temp. and 4 backlight. with little white adjustment. After going with dsskid's settings and tweaking slightly, overall everything is more natural, if slightly red/orange (which i have attempted to tweak with white balance). Wondering if i should just give this users eyes time to calibrate to the big change from strong blue for the last 12 months of viewing, to the new, more accurate picture.

Ok, a few questions...

I plan of picking up the S&M blu-ray, but for now...Having the 52 in, is there anything to keep in mind about panel size difference when using the settings for a 46Z5100 found in this forum?

The tv is in a room that gets a lot of natural light in the daytime from a large south facing window. Watching college football on a saturday morning/afternoon, is it best to adjust the backlight up a bit, or gamma up one, or any other setting at all to mitigate the effects of sunlight?

Finally, it seems easy to notice with the garbage in/garbage out thought process in mind, each and every channel (directTV supplied) has a different signal/picture quality. I feel like NBC has possibly the best incoming product i've seen. When flipping between football games its even more evident of picture differences. I guess what i'm getting at, when having all this variation, a person could get quite exhausted trying to adjust to the differences.

If you have made it this far, thanks for listening. Any input will be appreciated.

Kevin
post #305 of 315 Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55kjsmith View Post

Forgive me if this isn't the proper place to post this question, but I've looked all over the forum without luck.

I don't have an A/V receiver for surround sound or video switching, so I have my Sony Blu-ray player connected to HDMI 1 on my 46Z5100. My questions center around configuring the player properly for a direct connection to the TV. Settings such as audio setup; do you downmix PCM or can the TV handle Dolby and DTS? With screen settings, how does the TV handle 1080/24p, or Deep Color bit depth (12, 10, or auto?), or HDMI color space (YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, RGB, or auto?)?

It's a rather simple setup, only connecting a Sony Blu-ray player to the TV. But I am a bit confused with this. Any help would be appreciated.

the easiest way is to configure all the settings (audio-video) of your player to auto, the tv can handle dolby and dts over hdmi (i'm not sure about this) but since you don't have an a/v receiver, you only get stereo from the tv speakers. my humble opinion is that you NEED to get an a/v receiver to HEAR surround sound (lossless dolby true hd and dts hd master audio, lossy dolby digital and dts)

i hope this helps!!!!

God bless you!
joernzal777
post #306 of 315 Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Hi -

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I bought this TV on amazon for $630 and could not be happier. It is my first TV in 10+ years. I am going to get an OTA antenna and continue to watch ripped DVDs and blu-ray movies that I have (most are around 720p in quality, except for my older DVDs which I guess are 480i). I have also subscribed to Netflix (still in my trial period, I am unsure if I will keep it).

dsskid- thank you very much for all the work you did on this TV. I ended up using these settings and the TV looks great!

I wanted to ask you about two settings that you mention and I know are all the buzz, but I am unsure how to use them. I know that one of the biggest problems with LCDs is the refresh rate and I thought that's what MotionFlow was for. Or does the 240Hz refresh rate have nothing to do with MotionFlow?

Cinemotion and MotionFlow - how do these work? Why do you not use them on blu-ray? Is it because blu-ray is the best quality you can get?

Can you explain a bit?

Thank you.
post #307 of 315 Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

Hi -

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I bought this TV on amazon for $630 and could not be happier. It is my first TV in 10+ years. I am going to get an OTA antenna and continue to watch ripped DVDs and blu-ray movies that I have (most are around 720p in quality, except for my older DVDs which I guess are 480i). I have also subscribed to Netflix (still in my trial period, I am unsure if I will keep it).

dsskid- thank you very much for all the work you did on this TV. I ended up using these settings and the TV looks great!

I wanted to ask you about two settings that you mention and I know are all
the buzz, but I am unsure how to use them. I know that one of the biggest problems with LCDs is the refresh rate and I thought that's what MotionFlow was for. Or does the 240Hz refresh rate have nothing to do with MotionFlow?

Cinemotion and MotionFlow - how do these work? Why do you not use them on blu-ray? Is it because blu-ray is the best quality you can get?

Can you explain a bit?

Thank you.

Blu ray is 24 fps, no need or interpolation. It's only needed with 30 or 60 fps programming, (non-bd). To be honest, Before I sold the z5100 for a Kuro, I found myself using/liking motionflow set to standard,
and cinemotion set to auto2 even with blu ray, since the SOE didn't bother me.

-best,
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #308 of 315 Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 PM

So, is MotionFlow an additional technology beyond having a 240Hz refresh rate, or is that it?
post #309 of 315 Old 09-12-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

So, is MotionFlow an additional technology beyond having a 240Hz refresh rate, or is that it?

it's interpolation where frames are added to remove judder.
This might help you understand.
http://convergineer.sony.ca/english/...st.aspx?ID=151
It shows how they get from 50 to 200, much the same as going from 60 to 240. Film has a natural judder which many look to preserve, and if you one of those, leave it off. I dislike judder.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #310 of 315 Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM

dsskid - thanks for your help.

I am using plex for a HTPC with my MacBook Pro and even though I set the display to 16:9 in Plex, I lose about 100 pixels. I can see a text runner on the bottom of the TV, 100 pixels of which is cut off.

I was hoping you could tell me how to output the given resolution 1:1 when I am hooked up to my MacBook Pro via HDMI. Where's the setting for this on the TV? Is my Denon 2310 affecting this too?

Finally, my Denon 2310 AVR has options to calibrate TV settings... how do I get the receiver to just follow what the Sony TV says?

(If I didn't use the right terminology, this thread explains the problem in more depth...)
post #311 of 315 Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 AM

dsskid,

My settings are just about identical to yours. On the slim PS3 should RGB be set to Limited or Full and should Super White be On or Off?

Thanks
post #312 of 315 Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraja View Post

dsskid,

My settings are just about identical to yours. On the slim PS3 should RGB be set to Limited or Full and should Super White be On or Off?

Thanks

Super white on. Rgb limited, (I believe that is 16-255.)

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #313 of 315 Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Any recommended ISF calibration for the latest firmware that hit a few weeks ago?
post #314 of 315 Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Almost a year since the last post in this thread smile.gif

Does the new firmware do/fix anything noticeable? I've applied each and every one and never really seen a difference... I've used the settings from this thread, but never had it professionally calibrated.
post #315 of 315 Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think the last few have addressed the cloudiness in the dark scenes, and added online content. That's about it, as far as I can tell. Haven't seen patch notes in a long time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page