yeah I did that with my cousins 370M^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 352 Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been waiting over a month now for Costco to re-stock their 420Ms. Are these out of production? The 423XVT TruLED is due out on July 1, so waiting now makes sense (though the cost of the new XVTs will obviously be higher than the M series).

Will the M series be replaced with the new super-thin (as in, who cares?) edge-lit models? Perhaps Costco doesn't want to re-stock the M series because of their 90-day return policy. Too many people might return the older models if they are replaced by new models in just a few weeks.

Anyhow, if anyone knows what the story is on the 420M, let me know.
post #333 of 352 Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the VO370M's v-size option while displaying HD content? The TV displays PS2 games played on my backwards compatible PS3 with black bars on all 4 sides. I don't mind the bars on the left and right at all, they're the correct size and everything. However, for some reason the TV (or maybe the PS3 or the game itself?) adds black bars to the top and bottom, which squash the aspect ratio since it's correct horizontally. This would be easily remedied by just stretching the picture vertically until it fits the screen, but of course the option that I need is grayed out.
post #334 of 352 Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Isn't the setting in the ps3 called ps2 upscale or something lime that for the issue you mention?
post #335 of 352 Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Unfortunately, nope. The upscaling just upconverts the PS2 game to 1080p (it doesn't re-render it or anything) so it upconverts the black bars along with everything else.
post #336 of 352 Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 AM

I got the SV470M on Super Bowl Sunday 2010. TV seemed great until I noticed a wide light colored vertical line going down the TV. I wasn't sure what it was. I tried different video sources and even different outlets in the house but the line was still there. I took the TV back got another, same make and model. This time I was looking for imperfections. I didn't really notice anything until I was watching a Nascar race. When the camera would pan when showing the grey track I noticed more then one line this time. Very upset with this I started to do some research online and came to the conclusion that it was banding. Now that the World Cup is on you can really notice the banding on the green field when the camera pans. Under normal viewing you can't really see it, mostly when the camera pans is when you notice it. So I emailed Vizio they told me to try things that I have already tried. So I called them, they want me to take pictures of the banding, which is really hard to capture on a digital camera seeing how it is most noticeable when the camera pans. I took the best pics I could and sent them in and I am now just waiting for a reply. I am past my 90 days return otherwise I would just take it back and get a different brand of TV. Is banding even fixable? Do most LCD's do this? I'm just afraid that all of their models of this TV do it and now its to late to get another TV. I did get the 2 year extended warranty which states that after 3 repairs and you send it for a 4th repair you get your money back. I guess if worse comes to worse that will happen, but what a pain in the butt! The service guy on the phone said he has worked at Vizio for so many years and has never had one call about banding. I'm sure the average consumer does not notice this, but I am not the average consumer, I notice any imperfection. Has anyone else sent their TV to Vizio for the banding issue?
post #337 of 352 Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDanon View Post

I got the SV470M on Super Bowl Sunday 2010. TV seemed great until I noticed a wide light colored vertical line going down the TV. I wasn't sure what it was. I tried different video sources and even different outlets in the house but the line was still there. I took the TV back got another, same make and model. This time I was looking for imperfections. I didn't really notice anything until I was watching a Nascar race. When the camera would pan when showing the grey track I noticed more then one line this time. Very upset with this I started to do some research online and came to the conclusion that it was banding. Now that the World Cup is on you can really notice the banding on the green field when the camera pans. Under normal viewing you can't really see it, mostly when the camera pans is when you notice it. So I emailed Vizio they told me to try things that I have already tried. So I called them, they want me to take pictures of the banding, which is really hard to capture on a digital camera seeing how it is most noticeable when the camera pans. I took the best pics I could and sent them in and I am now just waiting for a reply. I am past my 90 days return otherwise I would just take it back and get a different brand of TV. Is banding even fixable? Do most LCD's do this? I'm just afraid that all of their models of this TV do it and now its to late to get another TV. I did get the 2 year extended warranty which states that after 3 repairs and you send it for a 4th repair you get your money back. I guess if worse comes to worse that will happen, but what a pain in the butt! The service guy on the phone said he has worked at Vizio for so many years and has never had one call about banding. I'm sure the average consumer does not notice this, but I am not the average consumer, I notice any imperfection. Has anyone else sent their TV to Vizio for the banding issue?

If you are as crtical as you make yourse;f out to be, I would recommend looking at other models and see if you can see the same thing. This maybe a trait to all LCDs some handle it better than other. If it still drives you crazy, go plasma. I've noticed a few artifacts during sports too but I can live with it because I know the limitations of LCD displays.
post #338 of 352 Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM

11 months ago i bought a SV470M. Everything was great until recently, after about an hour of viewing the darker colors seem to get a hazy greenish hue to them. I have went through multiple settings nothing seems to fix it. Anyone had something similar happen?
post #339 of 352 Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM

the difference i immediately see is the contrast ratio of the sv420m is only 50,000:1 where as the e420vl is 100,000:1 which is weird considering the sv420m is MORE expensive. although the e420vl only has 3 total hdmi inputs whereas the sv420m has 4.
post #340 of 352 Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdavid666 View Post

Walmart is clearing out any remaining SV470Ms. I got a new in box unit for $450.

wow that is a great deal. i paid more than double for mine about a year ago.
post #341 of 352 Old 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to ask if smooth motion and real cinema have a lot to do with motion of sports or not? such as football?

also what r others settings for the video presets?

thanks!
post #342 of 352 Old 08-14-2010, 09:43 AM

I've seen several people requesting picture settings for the vizio sv470m.

I performed the calibration myself using the Digital Video Essentials blu-ray disk and color filters, run thru hdmi.

Every set and every room is different, with varying light levels and quality control on the components. So it's good idea to grab a copy of DVE for yourself, but for what it's worth here are the settings I used on my TV.

All in all you can get a great picture out of this model. It's a great buy if you can find one on close out at wal-mart. I picked mine up for just over $500 after tax. If there's a better buy on a LCD of this size I couldn't find it.

I never could get the green color quite right through the filters supplied with the DVE disk, but with the settings below, I can find no color problems to my naked eye in actual shows, games, etc... In addition I have a very bright living room, so you might have to play with the back light levels accordingly for your surroundings.

Vizio SV470M Calibration Settings
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 69
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 66
Color: 53
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 4

Advanced Video
Noise reduction: off
MPEG NR: off
Color Enhancment: off
Adaptive Luma: off
Backlight control: off
Color Temp: Normal
red:121
green: 128
blue: 118
r offset: 128
g offset: 186
b offset: 128
smooth motion: I leave it off, but of you use it these settings seem to be best: Low and real cinema to smooth
post #343 of 352 Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Liked: 23
Just a post to share my comments on the SV420/470M. I have auditioned and calibrated an SV420M and used it for over 250 hours over the last 3 weeks These two sets, overall, provide a very pleasing viewing experience. I agree with Post #345 and the settings with a couple of exceptions. Backlight is best at under 42 for best black levels, the lower the better. You can actually set the backlight to around 38 and then increase Brightness to 55 - 58 and usually get good detail with the added benefit of longer CCFL life and power usage.

According to some other users and websites, use the "Low" and "Precision" settings for the least viewing artifacts. I have found this to be true.

The good about these sets is the price/value ratio, very user friendly menus, and... at least in mine, the use of an LG LCD display panel. To find out what panel you have, with the TV powered up, hold down the lower 2 buttons on the left side of the TV, and then depress the remote "Menu" button pointed at the TV. A few "new" menu options will appear and be usable until the TV is powered off. One of these options labeled "Info" I believe, will display a host of data, one of them being the name and number of the panel. Just be careful not to change any other settings while in this "new" menu".

Lastly, although I like the set for all of the above, I am not keeping it as it suffers from yellow/green shift, but only seems apparent when using cable or off the air tuning through the provided ATSC tuner. I was able to calibrate and eliminate the yellow/green shift on the HDMI and component inputs yielding a very pleasing picture. What is "yellow/green shift" or tracking? Well, when say the gold or yellow in a football teams uniform is on the screen, instead of yellow or gold you get either something like a sickly green or an almost florescent green/yellow. This is not limited to this set. Next time you go to the "Big Box" store with the blue and yellow sign, take a look and most of the TVs on display. When yellow shows up on the screen. . .. there it is.. sickly green tones. Oh, and lest you think it can be "dialed out" during calibration.... most can't. This seems to be an industry wide issue that I rarely see mentioned. I'm guessing that many TV manufactures purchased the same or similar color decoder ( ATSC tuner mismatch?) design from China 3 or 4 years ago and now, here we are, with some color inaccuracies. It isn't a big issue if you can stand it. I just can't and the yellow/green mistracking and it seems to contribute to others subtle color changes in associated shades of blue and green.
But otherwise, the SV420/470M's are great sets! I've just gotten pretty picky over the years. ;
I am taking the set back and have since picked up an LG42LD550 which, so far, has very pleasing detail, color, and performance with no yellow green tracking problems.
post #344 of 352 Old 10-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Is there any way to change the remote codes on the SV470M or SV420M? My brother and his roommates just bought one of each and they are set up right next to each other. Both TVs use the same remotes. Are there any settings to set one to use a different set of codes?
post #345 of 352 Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I hate to revive a early dead thread, but this tv is on sale somewhere, and before I tell a friend to purchase, I want to make sure it is still a good choice, since its rather old tech at this point.

Mostly how are the colors? I heard thispanel may have some issues with green colored blacks.

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

post #346 of 352 Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 AM

^ Ditto, would also like to know if this set is worth getting
post #347 of 352 Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM

for the price, i thought it was worth it! six hundred dollars is not bad for a 47" even though it is a few years old.

i have had no issues and i leave mine on vivid for everything!
post #348 of 352 Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM

I've had mine for over a year now and still love it. I did the allignment early on and haven't had to adjust it since. I paid $978 for it and compared to other units that produce as good a picture it was a steal.

My next TV will still be a Vizio.
post #349 of 352 Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesrt View Post

I've had mine for over a year now and still love it. I did the allignment early on and haven't had to adjust it since. I paid $978 for it and compared to other units that produce as good a picture it was a steal.

My next TV will still be a Vizio.

what alignment are we talking about? and what are your settings for movie, and the others if any?

thanks!

i usually just leave mine on vivid!
post #350 of 352 Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I ahd mine for 2 years now and its still working really well. I'm still very happy with its perfomance.
post #351 of 352 Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Had the SV420M for nearly 2 years now with no problems. Walmart has the E470VLE on sale today for 600 bucks. Any opinions on that set?
post #352 of 352 Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a great working SV370XVT and was wondering If this would be a good update to 10 more inches(Insert joke here). I can get one for less than $300 used in good condition. I know It's older, but I don't need all the extras like 3D, internet, app,etc. Also how are the black levels? or would you recommend another Vizio model If so which one? Thanks.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page