Official Samsung LNxxB540 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone tried to use the optical out on the back of the set? I was given an old JVC Home Theater in a Box with an Optical Input and I thought it'd be great having all my HDMI devices (Blu-Ray, XBox360 and Mac Mini) plugged into the tv and one, neat optical cable out to the Home Theater receiver. Unfortunately, the Samsung will only send 2 channels out, not pass-through the full signal. I thought maybe this was something that was done to prevent someone from running that signal to a media center PC and ripping the sound track from a Blu-Ray/dvd disc?

Would this be something that could be corrected via service menu options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpeace View Post

Anyone tried to use the optical out on the back of the set? I was given an old JVC Home Theater in a Box with an Optical Input and I thought it'd be great having all my HDMI devices (Blu-Ray, XBox360 and Mac Mini) plugged into the tv and one, neat optical cable out to the Home Theater receiver. Unfortunately, the Samsung will only send 2 channels out, not pass-through the full signal. I thought maybe this was something that was done to prevent someone from running that signal to a media center PC and ripping the sound track from a Blu-Ray/dvd disc?

Would this be something that could be corrected via service menu options?

You are right that it is two channel, most of the time, in order to enforce copy protection. Digital out is offered to provide 5.1 when it is the TV that receives the signal itself, i.e., when it sees hi def content over its RF connector. When the TV tuner is the one that decodes the signal, then the TV has to forward the digital audio to the AVR.

This is one reason why people almost always put the receiver upstream to the TV, when connected over HDMI.

No, there is no way to change this in the service menu.
post #33 of 51 Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Dpolites, in response to your question about graininess, yes its normal b/c my tv does the same thing. I've owned the TV for about 5 days now and although the sharpness and color are very good the graininess in certain scens of movies sometimes drives me crazy.

For example we were watching 300 last night on HD DVD and it was VERY apparent that the picture was grainy. My brother yesterday purchased a Sharp LC46D85U and his TV exhibited hardly any grain (b/c 300 was recorded with some degree of graininess on purpose I think).

Can't say that its grainy for everything b/c movies like toy story exhibit no grain whatsoever.
post #34 of 51 Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Well this is an interesting day... so after contemplating on whether or not I want to keep this newly purchased TV I come home and find out that the TV is dead. Nobody else has been mucking around with the TV except for the fact that tonight I hooked up a blu ray player and suddenly the picture went all screwy and now there is bad pixelization on the TV.

Makes me wonder how the QC is at Samsung's manufacturing plant...
post #35 of 51 Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Have had no issues with lack of sharpness or anything with my B540 since I purchased it at BJs back in June, it's been a very nice 2nd HDTV for me! :-)
post #36 of 51 Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM

I took the TV back to Costco today and ended up exchanging it for a LN52B540 TV instead. The reasoning: The 46" panel that Costco had were all version AA01 panels whereas the 40" and the 52" were SQ01 and SQ02 panel which from what most people say is the Sony/Samsung panel.

Can't really tell the difference but I know that the 52" look better in our room!
post #37 of 51 Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Hey guys, just picked mine up yesterday, The 46" model. Now this TV is for my mother and unfortunately she has no BD player hooked up to it so I can't use the DVE disc I have to calibrate it for her.

Just wondering if anyone who's done some calibration to it can share their settings, that would be awesome. Thanks!
post #38 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi Lokosis,

I have the Blu-Ray for the new DVE (or HD Basics) and put my settings down in case I wiped them out doing a firmware update or something. I have my setup in a basement rec room with little outside light, so depending on where your mother's set is, you might need to turn the backlight up one and maybe change the gamma from -1 to 0.

Blu-Ray Calibration settings:

Backlight 4
Contrast. 75
Brightness. 55
Sharpness 5
Colour 43
Tint G57/R43
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Color Space: Native
White Balance: R-Offset 0, R-Gain 0
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
Colour Tone: Normal
Size: 16x9
Digital NR: OFF
HDMI Black Level: Normal
post #39 of 51 Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the calibration warrenpeace, I've played around with it a bit as the TV is in a bright room, and it looks good.

Now, what I've done is head to Samsungs website to see if there are any firmware updates. Whats odd is the latest one on the website is 1016, but checking the TV it already has 1018 installed, which numerically would be considered newer, yes? Or am I wrong here.
post #40 of 51 Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Samsung is slow on updating the firmware on the download page for all of the models. The usual speculation is that, where the firmware accommodates changes in the manufacturing of newer sets on the line, but fixes no problems in an existing feature, they don't bother to post the new firmware on the web site.
post #41 of 51 Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Where do you find what panel it is using? (SQ01)
post #42 of 51 Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

Where do you find what panel it is using? (SQ01)

if you have a TV out of the box, its on a sticker on the right side of the screen, by the inputs...if its still in the box, there should be a sticker on it with barcodes, the bottom part of the sticker should show the info as well, or atleast it does in the ones @ Costco in Ontario.

hope that helps.
post #43 of 51 Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if in the service menu for this TV the silly display with the time and resolution can be turned off? My Tivo puts out 3 different resolutions depending on the channel and menu; every time the resolution changes the tv throws up a banner with the time and resolution. Completely useless.. possible something in hotel mode?

Thanks!
post #44 of 51 Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

Does anyone know if in the service menu for this TV the silly display with the time and resolution can be turned off? My Tivo puts out 3 different resolutions depending on the channel and menu; every time the resolution changes the tv throws up a banner with the time and resolution. Completely useless.. possible something in hotel mode?

Thanks!

I just came here for the same thing! Every time I pop in a Blu-Ray I have to see the notice pop up about the resolution of the menus, then the film, does same for extras, over and over. Really annoying. No one knows what it is? I haven't tried it on any Samsung yet.
post #45 of 51 Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokosis View Post

Thanks for the calibration warrenpeace, I've played around with it a bit as the TV is in a bright room, and it looks good.

Now, what I've done is head to Samsungs website to see if there are any firmware updates. Whats odd is the latest one on the website is 1016, but checking the TV it already has 1018 installed, which numerically would be considered newer, yes? Or am I wrong here.

You're right, the TV has newer than posted. Just downloaded and installed 1021.1 the other day and don't really notice any differences, but I like to have it up to date anyway.

The set will reset, so write down the calibration settings you were happy with before doing the firmware update.
post #46 of 51 Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpeace View Post

I just came here for the same thing! Every time I pop in a Blu-Ray I have to see the notice pop up about the resolution of the menus, then the film, does same for extras, over and over. Really annoying. No one knows what it is? I haven't tried it on any Samsung yet.

I found a solution; to this issue and the issue I had with high detailed areas on the screen "shimmering" or "flickering"... I've returned the TV and opting for a Panasonic TC-32X1. The PQ on the panny is better than the samsung and I don't get all the annoying "features" that the sammy has. The speakers and sound are also improved over the sammy.

Extremely happy with the Panny now; and in fact it worked out being cheaper (by $70). I got the Panny for $399 with $40 cashback so $359. The Sammy was $549 with an instant $120 rebate at BJ's; so $429.

-t
post #47 of 51 Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 AM

I picked up the 40" at Costco this week, but I have to go make an exchange because when the screen is dark (receiving a signal that should be a black screen), I can see a couple of areas where it looks like someone is shining a light up the screen from the bezel. It's not evident if there is anything on the screen, but when the whole screen should be black, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's not white on black or anything like that, just a lighter gray than it should be.

edit: exchanged it at Costco and the new one does not present the same issue.
post #48 of 51 Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Just picked up a 40" model from Costco...I've noticed some click and tick noise from the TV...and when i shut it down it click and tick pretty frequent for 2 minutes or so...except this issue everything is fine? Should I exchange for another one from Costco or is it just the TV needs some time to kick in? Anybody experiencing this issue at all?
post #49 of 51 Old 04-22-2010, 07:51 PM

im in canada and this model ln40b540 can be found in almost any corner of any electronics store. its a wonder barely anyone comments on this tv.

anyway, if any one is reading this thread can someone please post their picture settings?

i bought this tv the other day and so far its decent. i wish the refresh rate was a little higher as i find it quite blurry during movement. for the price though you can't go wrong. $679 cad from bb.

also, anyone know how to enable film mode in the settings? i updated the firmware but no matter which video mode i choose its always greyed out.

i hope it doesn't take a month to revive this thread!! great forum btw
post #50 of 51 Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos514 View Post

Anyone know how to enable film mode in the settings? i updated the firmware but no matter which video mode i choose its always greyed out.

Hi, I think the issue would be with your source. When I set my Blu-Ray player to the 24fps Film Mode, the LN46B540 detects the 24fps signal through HDMI and adjusts by changing to a 24Hz Refresh rate to display it properly. If your Blu-Ray player offers this option, try changing it there first.
post #51 of 51 Old 10-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

I found a solution; to this issue and the issue I had with high detailed areas on the screen "shimmering" or "flickering"... I've returned the TV and opting for a Panasonic TC-32X1. The PQ on the panny is better than the samsung and I don't get all the annoying "features" that the sammy has. The speakers and sound are also improved over the sammy.

Extremely happy with the Panny now; and in fact it worked out being cheaper (by $70). I got the Panny for $399 with $40 cashback so $359. The Sammy was $549 with an instant $120 rebate at BJ's; so $429.

-t

I have had the ln40b540 for a few years now. Today the screen started flickering and went completely black. When i turn it back on i see some video for a short period. It comes on and off a few times and then goes blank again. The unit is way out of warranty. Are there any remedies, like resetting the unit. I am about to call samsung, but i wanted to try the forum first. Not much out here on this problem
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page