Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule04 View Post

Just got my 55LH90 today. I have been reading a lot of this thread for some time now and know that this should be fixed, but for me it's not. I have lip-sync. On every input. I have a Sylvania Blu-Ray hooked up via HDMI, 360 via HDMI, and a Direct TV SD Box via AV IN. The Direct TV box will be HD by Friday, just couldn't get an earlier appointment.

I have the same amount of lip-sync on every one of these inputs. I watch Netflix instant streaming on the 360, have watched an upconverted DVD on the Blu-Ray, and some shows on many different channels on the Direct TV. My firmware is 3.17, and the build date is FEB/10.

Any ideas?

No one? I also verified all my cables are 1.3 HDMI from Monoprice. Nothing else new to add, except that it is extremely annoying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 PM

I also just took delivery of a new 55LH90. It also has Lip-Sync issues, but if I use the optical out from the TV it is in-sync.

How do you find the firmware version of your TV?
post #3483 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule04 View Post

No one? I also verified all my cables are 1.3 HDMI from Monoprice. Nothing else new to add, except that it is extremely annoying...

This is strange. I believe you are the first with a newer firmware to report lip sync issues. I would agree that it is annoying. I had the issue as well until I received the firmware update to 3.13.1. We have recently discussed that this is a kludge fix though because it takes away the ability to pass Dolby Digital through the TV using the optical out. I was looking forward to the day I get a receiver with HDMI in order to use it properly.

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #3484 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Hey,

I got my 55LH90 today! But then when I was at the store looking around for some speaker wall mounts I saw Samsung's new 3D LED TV. It was pretty good.

Did I screw up by buying this TV which doesn't have 3D? I just shelled out an ungodly amount of money to get this set and it's obsolete by the time I walk in the store on the same day as it's delivered?
post #3485 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM

it depends how much you paid for your lh90. The samsungs come at a high price point, and usually have fairly bad uniformity issues.
post #3486 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Hey,

I got my 55LH90 today! But then when I was at the store looking around for some speaker wall mounts I saw Samsung's new 3D LED TV. It was pretty good.

Did I screw up by buying this TV which doesn't have 3D? I just shelled out an ungodly amount of money to get this set and it's obsolete by the time I walk in the store on the same day as it's delivered?

3D is Gimmicky and there is no standard, You definetley dont want to be the first adopter either. 3D will not go anywhere any time soon. You did right by the lh90 it has won numerous awards in Consumer Reports.
post #3487 of 4729 Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am thinking of getting my first LCD TV. I got 42LH50 from frys. But i am still thinking of 47LH90. It is going to be double the price of 42LH50. Do you think, 42LH90 is going to be overkill for first time LCD buyer.
I do not have blue ray player and not planning to spend on blue ray discs. I am planning to subscribe to HD channel lineup and will be watching DVD movies from up converting dvd player. Is there any advantage of getting 47LH90. is 42LH50 suffice for my needs?
post #3488 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well if you already have the LH50, try it. I have an LH20 in my kitchen that I am very pleased with, comes very close th my 55 LH90 in picture. Blacks are not as great and colors are not as punchy but for the 5 oclock news it works! Anyone here will tell you the 90 rocks, if you can afford the money for 5 more inches you will get a lot more screen. At my local FRY'S they are lowering the prices on these but Best Buy local store has been lower. Also check Sears if you do not want to buy online.
post #3489 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 AM

vze (and everyone else with lip sync issues):

If you love the picture/price point, the best solution is (unfortunately) simply to bypass the TV with the audio and take it straight to the AVR.

More wires, but it's the only way...
post #3490 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

=FINAL=

After testing with Hi-Definition Reference Disc for Real Cinema, I found that it is better to leave Real Cinema On at all time whether it is 24p signal source or 60p/i srouce.

Real Cinema On (5:5) It eliminates the 3:2 judder. The difference between the two is visible. (Remember to set LED Local Dimming Off then back On)

Real Cinema On does perfect de-interlacing for interlace materials. Off will cause interlacing issues.

Now I basically leave it On at all time.

no matter it is On or Off for Real Cinema with TruMotion at High for the Motion Resolution test I got 1080 full motion resolution at the fastest testing speed 18.5ppf.

Above tested on LG LH95 or LHX

People who are having frame drops, or lag or choppy sometimes during movie playback can be solved by turning LED Local Dimming Off then On again.
If you turn off LED Local Dimming, you will also loss the LED Backlight Scanning capability.

I recommend to set Real Cinema and TruMotion and LED Local Dimming back and forth to the settings you like every time when you freshly start up your Blu Ray player since the TV doesn't seem to be keeping the settings you have set it to be.

so if you are playing Blu Ray movies with 24p 5:5, set the Real Cinema and TruMotion settings back and forth to the settings you like first and then turn LED Local Dimming Off then back On. You will get a problem free smooth playback.

The difference between TruMotion Low and High is basically adding more frames. Low = adds MEMC Frames, High = adds MEMC Frames & LED Black Frame Insertion.
*MEMC = Motion Estimation Motion Compensation

Above are tested on LG LH95 but should also apply to LG LH90 and LG LHX

KakiC●l○r® Calibration w/ Calman

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-Direct Backlit SlimLED w/ Local Dimming

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

-Edge-lit LED w/ Local Dimming

post #3491 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Has anyone tried the 3D Glasses? (Maybe at the LG booth at CES) What do these glasses do to the PQ? Do you lose colour to gain 3D? Is there anything else you lose, just to gain 3D?
post #3492 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndUser View Post

I also just took delivery of a new 55LH90. It also has Lip-Sync issues, but if I use the optical out from the TV it is in-sync.

How do you find the firmware version of your TV?

Hit menu on the remote x1. Then move to the "Option" but don't hit "enter". Finally, hit"Fav/Mark" x7 times.
post #3493 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Has anyone tried the 3D Glasses? (Maybe at the LG booth at CES) What do these glasses do to the PQ? Do you lose colour to gain 3D? Is there anything else you lose, just to gain 3D?

I did not notice any degraduation in the picture quality, but everyone has to have glasses on or the picture is blurred. Most of the sets I tried LG's included could switch between 2D & 3D. When I had the rep shut it off I preferred the picture. There is also a very small "sweet zone" where the 3D looks good, so you would really have to rearrange most setups for the "effect" to work. To me there are too many pitfalls in this technology. It has and needs a lot more advancement before I will buy into it. That does not mean that the 3D TV's are bad. The pictures on 2D mode were stunning
post #3494 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Well if you already have the LH50, try it. I have an LH20 in my kitchen that I am very pleased with, comes very close th my 55 LH90 in picture. Blacks are not as great and colors are not as punchy but for the 5 oclock news it works! Anyone here will tell you the 90 rocks, if you can afford the money for 5 more inches you will get a lot more screen. At my local FRY'S they are lowering the prices on these but Best Buy local store has been lower. Also check Sears if you do not want to buy online.

Thanks for the update. Got 42LH50 2 weeks back from Frys. I am still thinking about 47LH90/42LH90. I think, it should not matter for my needs.I will check it out one more time today in BB and Sears for LH90 before start using 42LH50. If i can get 42LH40 for a $150 - $200 less, may be i can get LH40 and return LH50.
post #3495 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_case View Post

Hit menu on the remote x1. Then move to the "Option" but don't hit "enter". Finally, hit"Fav/Mark" x7 times.

Thanks. Yep, 3.17 -- still has the Lip-Sync issue.
post #3496 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndUser View Post

Thanks. Yep, 3.17 -- still has the Lip-Sync issue.

Did you check to see if it is from all sources? I had a similar problem with Direct TV and called them saying it was only their source and they told me to reset my DVR and problem solved! They told me sometimes you do that and it re-marrys the two components. 1 year later and no lip sync issues!
post #3497 of 4729 Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Did you check to see if it is from all sources? I had a similar problem with Direct TV and called them saying it was only their source and they told me to reset my DVR and problem solved! They told me sometimes you do that and it re-marrys the two components. 1 year later and no lip sync issues!

I have it on all sources as it says in my post one page back. 360, blu-Ray, and direct tv. It's small, but I can see it. All HDMI cables are 1.3. And my firmware is 3.17. Build is Feb '10.
post #3498 of 4729 Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alster View Post

vze (and everyone else with lip sync issues):

If you love the picture/price point, the best solution is (unfortunately) simply to bypass the TV with the audio and take it straight to the AVR.

More wires, but it's the only way...

I agree, my friend. I suppose I will either purchase a switch or a new AVR. The TV is too nice to replace with a crummy Samsung, unless it is the unb8500. (God, I hated that silly sound/light-activated backlighted remote.)

I only wish my current AVR had two optical inputs.

I will still be dealing with LG on this issue. They are conceding that this situation is unwanted/unintended. That may end up with some favorable results...?

Thanks for all your input, Alster. What model did you say you had?
post #3499 of 4729 Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok,

I got my 55LH90 and it's connected to my cable TV and I watched the NCAA basketball today in HD.

I have a bit of an issue but I can't tell if it's the broadcaster or my TV.

When a commercial is ending and has a bright white backround, suddenly the white backround dims as fast as a snap of a finger.

I went into the menus and shut off all processing, local dimming, auto contrast, energy savings, etc. But the issue still happens on commercials that have a bright white backround.

This could totally be a broadcaster issue for all I know. I'm not jumping to conclusions and checking with you guys to see if there are any known issues with this set and sudden dimming of a bright screen that happens at any given moment on a commercial or program?

I could just be overly paranoid because it's a new TV and I paid a fortune for it. Thanks.
post #3500 of 4729 Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

I have only noticed this effect when eye care save is on, and to tell you the truth when you have this on it works well with some programming.
post #3501 of 4729 Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Ok,

I got my 55LH90 and it's connected to my cable TV and I watched the NCAA basketball today in HD.

I have a bit of an issue but I can't tell if it's the broadcaster or my TV.

When a commercial is ending and has a bright white backround, suddenly the white backround dims as fast as a snap of a finger.

I went into the menus and shut off all processing, local dimming, auto contrast, energy savings, etc. But the issue still happens on commercials that have a bright white backround.

This could totally be a broadcaster issue for all I know. I'm not jumping to conclusions and checking with you guys to see if there are any known issues with this set and sudden dimming of a bright screen that happens at any given moment on a commercial or program?

I could just be overly paranoid because it's a new TV and I paid a fortune for it. Thanks.

I have never noticed anything like this. I have only experienced a delay in switching between HD and SD channels. I always use Expert 2 so I have never used Eye Care. Perhaps that is the problem as Konica mentioned.

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #3502 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 AM

vze: 50pq30
If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that this lip sync prob has been around through a couple of generations of LG TV's across most of their platform.

It's apparently an inherent problem which proly won't go away any time soon (IMHO).
post #3503 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that this lip sync prob has been around through a couple of generations of LG TV's across most of their platform.

It's apparently an inherent problem which proly won't go away any time soon (IMHO).

I have a July and Nov build 55LH90 and an Aug 42LH90 - never saw Lip Sync issues on any of them. Now one thing I will mention, I am using HDMI 1.3B cables instead of 1.3A. Both the 55LH90's are AVR fed but the 42LH90 is fed with 2 HDMI direct feeds and a Composite feed. (Only way to get the Second Tuner off my Dishnet PVR to my wife's TV and the cable run is about 30 Feet.)
post #3504 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

I am thinking of getting my first LCD TV. I got 42LH50 from frys. But i am still thinking of 47LH90. It is going to be double the price of 42LH50. Do you think, 42LH90 is going to be overkill for first time LCD buyer.
I do not have blue ray player and not planning to spend on blue ray discs. I am planning to subscribe to HD channel lineup and will be watching DVD movies from up converting dvd player. Is there any advantage of getting 47LH90. is 42LH50 suffice for my needs?

The 47" LH90 was my first LCD. If you can do it, I'd go for it. Upconverting DVD will look fine on it. Its debatable from normal viewing distances is BD will provide that noticeable advantage to upconverted DVD on a 47". One note, although BD will look reallh good on about any player upconverting DVD quality varies widely among players so scope out a really good DVD upconverting capability. The best Oppo BDP-83, although that is also a BD player and a little pricey. Upper end LG BD players are also good. In fact most of the best DVD upconverters are BD players as well.
post #3505 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
cvh

Liked: 14
I have a dec 2009 build lastest firmware 3.17 and have never had a lip sync issue. I run hdmi on HD cable, bluray, and upconverting DVD. No problems. My avr has 4 optical inputs so I use them all. When watching HD cable channels I run an optical cable from avr to tv and works flawlessly. Sound is awesome. I may be a few of the lucky ones who don't have audio issues.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
post #3506 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Isn't it interesting that even though flash-based video has the ability to sync sound and video with markers (and drop/add frames to compensate) -- and all for free -- that the latest hardware can't compensate for a partial second delay between the two streams and bring them back together?

Yes, I am shopping for a simple AVR with at least two HDMI inputs, but I have picky tastes. I hope I can afford what I want.

BTW, for those of you who maintain that lip-sync isn't an issue:
I am not feeding HDMI to and AVR and then on to the TV. I go straight to the TV with HDMI. I notice a discrepancy when I forget to mute the TV speakers. I wouldn't have this issue if I fed the HDMI through an AVR first, but I like my AVR, and haven't had cause to spring for a new one yet.
post #3507 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

I have never noticed anything like this. I have only experienced a delay in switching between HD and SD channels. I always use Expert 2 so I have never used Eye Care. Perhaps that is the problem as Konica mentioned.

Okay, that's something I don't remember if I shut off. I will shut off eye care tonight and find out if it helps.

I also haven't played any blu-ray DVDs (which was the main reason for buying this......MOVIES! ) I just happen to have cable-TV which pumps the local channels in HD over their line for free. So, once I mounted the TV on the wall, I was able to just screw in the coax and auto-scan for channels.

Standard definition analog channels look like utter crapola on this set. But that could be because the HD is sooooo beautiful. This is one sweet set to watch.
post #3508 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I've been following this set and noticed it DC'd??

I know it's not the most svelte and it had some sync issues at first, but the new models abandoned the full LED backlight in lieu of edge lit.

I'm wondering if I should grab one of these up. I just think full backlit has to be better. Do you think LG dc'd this because of was too expensive, were there failures? Maybe it can't compete in the "slim" wars?

What do you guys think? Get this one or wait for the New Insignia models that are edge lit?
post #3509 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Just returned from shopping at local Costco, San Diego Morena Blvd.
Spotted 2 55LH90 new in the box at 18 bills.

Warranty 1 year LH + 1 year Costco + 1 year if purchased with Costco Amex card.
What a deal.

Looks like YMMV. None on display/for sale at the Laguna Niguel location.
post #3510 of 4729 Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

I would most certainly not recommend it for your first HDTV. Sorry. There is a big difference between the sets, but that is not why. Here, read my review. Download either of the PDFs for it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3414

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post

I've been following this set and noticed it DC'd??

I know it's not the most svelte and it had some sync issues at first, but the new models abandoned the full LED backlight in lieu of edge lit.

I'm wondering if I should grab one of these up. I just think full backlit has to be better. Do you think LG dc'd this because of was too expensive, were there failures? Maybe it can't compete in the "slim" wars?

What do you guys think? Get this one or wait for the New Insignia models that are edge lit?

Because people are ****ing stupid and they hear rumors of these amazing Samsung thin "LED" TVs with amazing picture and they think that this LG is a fat piece of ****, so LG decided not to do the right thing like all the companies and fool every idiot out there just the same. Same goes for the 3D crap.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page