Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 152 - AVS Forum
First ... 150  151  152 153  154  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK]
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 10:25 AM 10-28-2010
The delivery guy called and said he's on his way and will be here in about a half hour! This is like Christmas for me!

ndz's Avatar ndz 02:02 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

The delivery guy called and said he's on his way and will be here in about a half hour! This is like Christmas for me!

Slickman: I saw your earlier post asking about recommended settings. I tried the CNET (and other) settings when I received my 47lh90 and was not happy with the results. Consider using a calibration DVD and your own preferences and you may get a better result.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne 03:16 PM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndz View Post

Slickman: I saw your earlier post asking about recommended settings. I tried the CNET (and other) settings when I received my 47lh90 and was not happy with the results. Consider using a calibration DVD and your own preferences and you may get a better result.

Did you try either of the settings from myself and another member posted on the 55LH90 Calibration Forum?
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 07:21 PM 10-28-2010
I've had the tv now for many hours and so far I like it alot. I tried Chad B's settings and Typhoon's settings. I liked Typhoon's better, then I compared Typhoon's to my tv's THX setting and I like my tv's THX setting better. I put Typhoon's on Expert 1 and my THX settings on Expert 2, with an altered backlight setting of course. So right now I'm going with an altered version of my tv's THX settings and I am in love.

There is 2 things my Samsung plasma did better, and that's viewing angle and motion, but I knew that going in. The black levels on the LH90 destroy my 860's, and that makes me very happy. I will say this though, the black bars on Blu-ray movies aren't as deep as when you have a full or mostly black screen on the tv. The bars are still darker than on my 860 though. When I saw the full screen blacks on this thing my jaw hit the floor, it's amazing. I don't really like the dejudder stuff so I think I'll just use it for watching football.

One thing that stuns me everytime I see it is how the tv handles dark parts and lights parts on the same screen. For instance I was watching a ghost show, and the guy was in a very dark room but the investigator was illuminated by the camera. The investigator appeared bright and everything around him was extremely dark, it looked stunning It's something my 860 could never do because it just doesn't have the contrast ratio of the LH90. It makes scenes like this look completely different than before. Anyway, I'll take some pics tomorrow.
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 08:37 PM 10-28-2010
Here's some Avatar Blu-ray shots. The camera makes the picture look alot bluer than it really is, but oh well.










hhaller's Avatar hhaller 09:15 PM 10-28-2010
I forgot how good the LH90's look. They are definitely a steal right now.
ndz's Avatar ndz 10:27 AM 10-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Did you try either of the settings from myself and another member posted on the 55LH90 Calibration Forum?

Not sure. I printed out and tried several different settings found on this and other forums. My 47LH90 was a floor model so it probably has quite a few hours on it if that makes any difference. It also has one of the older firmwares.
jdpdata's Avatar jdpdata 10:36 AM 10-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Did you try either of the settings from myself and another member posted on the 55LH90 Calibration Forum?

Peter, I tried your latest IRE numbers, not good to my eyes. There's yellow/green haze cast on everything. I think I'm going back to Lagoon's latest numbers > he's skin tone is not quite as lively but whites is very accurate.
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 10:54 AM 10-29-2010
Does anyone have good settings for a newer LH90? My LH90 was manufactured in March 2010. I'm using my THX IRE's, they're the best settings I've seen on my tv so far, here's my THX settings if anyone wants to try them for the heck of it. I'm using them with medium white balance.

100 -11 0 0
90 0 3 6
80 10 6 12
70 13 9 6
60 16 11 20
50 15 8 16
40 13 4 11
30 12 5 10
20 10 5 9
10 -5 -7 -9
jdpdata's Avatar jdpdata 11:04 AM 10-29-2010
I too have Mar2010 built. Try Lagoon's latest numbers, it's very accurate. You may need to adjust CMS numbers to boost skin tone a little, but his whites are very accurate. I've tried everything posted in this thread. Lagoon's is best so far for my set.
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 12:01 PM 10-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

I too have Mar2010 built. Try Lagoon's latest numbers, it's very accurate. You may need to adjust CMS numbers to boost skin tone a little, but his whites are very accurate. I've tried everything posted in this thread. Lagoon's is best so far for my set.

I've went back over 10 pages and I can't find the settings, can you point me to where they are please? Also if you could tell me your adjusted CMS settings with Lagoon's settings, I would appreciate it.
jdpdata's Avatar jdpdata 12:14 PM 10-29-2010
It's over at the 'Calibration' thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19378969

Bump up Red Tint under CMS for better skin tones.
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 12:31 PM 10-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

It's over at the 'Calibration' thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19378969

Bump up Red Tint under CMS for better skin tones.

Thanks, I've tried the settings, and they are good, but I think I still like my THX settings better. I got better greens with Lagoon's settings, and I like how it brings down red a little as well. I like the whites and other colors better on my THX setting though. I think I'll end up getting my tv calibrated at some point, I don't know anyone that does calibrations in NJ though, I'll have to search on google.
Slickman's Avatar Slickman 06:51 AM 10-30-2010
I can't settle for a brightness/gamma setting. I keep switching between 52 brightness with medium and low gamma, and 55 brightness with medium gamma. I want the best blacks, which is what 52 brightness gives me, but I also want the best shadow detail, which is what 52 with low gamma or 55 with medium gamma gives me. I keep flip flopping, I think I will end up settling with the best blacks and just deal with the little bit of crush.
rowland.johnson's Avatar rowland.johnson 07:33 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I can't settle for a brightness/gamma setting. I keep switching between 52 brightness with medium and low gamma, and 55 brightness with medium gamma. I want the best blacks, which is what 52 brightness gives me, but I also want the best shadow detail, which is what 52 with low gamma or 55 with medium gamma gives me. I keep flip flopping, I think I will end up settling with the best blacks and just deal with the little bit of crush.

You could also try setting gamma at medium, leaving brightness at 52 and then adjusting the contrast.
catmother's Avatar catmother 08:31 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I can't settle for a brightness/gamma setting. I keep switching between 52 brightness with medium and low gamma, and 55 brightness with medium gamma. I want the best blacks, which is what 52 brightness gives me, but I also want the best shadow detail, which is what 52 with low gamma or 55 with medium gamma gives me. I keep flip flopping, I think I will end up settling with the best blacks and just deal with the little bit of crush.

For calibration issues you might get more help by posting in the calibration thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...221950&page=46
Timothy91's Avatar Timothy91 09:39 AM 10-30-2010
Okay,

At night, in a totally dark room, when there is a black screen or black bars, I get what seems to be a slight amount of light, leaking in from the upper left and right corners of the screen. When I scoot over a bit either side, the effect reduces but it's there. It's as if something isn't sealed tight to cut off light or something. Perhaps it's an error in the picture display, but I don't think so. This occurs even when THX mode's 30-backlight setting is on. It's always been there but I just always thought it's inherent of the LCD design.

I thought this until I read that someone had a similar problem until using a different set of cables. I wish to test this theory by buying cheap monoprice HDMI high speed cables. Should I buy the ones with ethernet capability or not? Just curious as this is the ONLY nitpick I have about this TV is the "light-bleed" in the corners of the screen when the room is dark. Although I have serious doubts that changing cables will have any effect on the issue, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that having a cable with more bandwidth might cause the TV to detect/lock the signal differently to shut off those pixels. Perhaps there is light further off the screen on the overscan that is shut off when plugging in higher bandwidth cables? Who knows. But $10-$15 to test the theory isn't much money and if it fixes the issue, means much more to me than $10-$15.

I spent a bit more to get this TV so that I could have the best of BOTH worlds. Deep blacks for night viewing and a super bright picture to compete with daylight in the room as well as the glare-reduction from the matte screen. This little issue doesn't ruin the experience, but I do notice it from time to time and it's annoying me lately. I sometimes think I should have bought a plasma for the deep blacks/night time viewing which is the more important of these two worlds of TV viewing. The 55LH90 could be the best TV in the world for under $3000 "IF" this little issue could be fixed for me.
KONICA TECH's Avatar KONICA TECH 10:58 AM 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Okay,

At night, in a totally dark room, when there is a black screen or black bars, I get what seems to be a slight amount of light, leaking in from the upper left and right corners of the screen. When I scoot over a bit either side, the effect reduces but it's there. It's as if something isn't sealed tight to cut off light or something. Perhaps it's an error in the picture display, but I don't think so. This occurs even when THX mode's 30-backlight setting is on. It's always been there but I just always thought it's inherent of the LCD design.

I thought this until I read that someone had a similar problem until using a different set of cables. I wish to test this theory by buying cheap monoprice HDMI high speed cables. Should I buy the ones with ethernet capability or not? Just curious as this is the ONLY nitpick I have about this TV is the "light-bleed" in the corners of the screen when the room is dark. Although I have serious doubts that changing cables will have any effect on the issue, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that having a cable with more bandwidth might cause the TV to detect/lock the signal differently to shut off those pixels. Perhaps there is light further off the screen on the overscan that is shut off when plugging in higher bandwidth cables? Who knows. But $10-$15 to test the theory isn't much money and if it fixes the issue, means much more to me than $10-$15.

I spent a bit more to get this TV so that I could have the best of BOTH worlds. Deep blacks for night viewing and a super bright picture to compete with daylight in the room as well as the glare-reduction from the matte screen. This little issue doesn't ruin the experience, but I do notice it from time to time and it's annoying me lately. I sometimes think I should have bought a plasma for the deep blacks/night time viewing which is the more important of these two worlds of TV viewing. The 55LH90 could be the best TV in the world for under $3000 "IF" this little issue could be fixed for me.

I no longer have my LH90, and now have the LHX, but I remember seeing this when my BRIGHTNESS level was above 53. If yours is bring it down to 52 and increase the BACKLIGHT a bit to compensate before spending money on cables. Hope this works for you
catmother's Avatar catmother 11:17 AM 10-30-2010
My 55LH90 has decent albeit not exceptional sound for a LCD flat panel.
But on a recent visit to my local Costco I spotted a Vizio sound bar for under $100. On close inspection the carton indicated an Optical input and dual stereo (RCA) inputs and a remote control.

Brought it home and observed a noticeable improvement in sound.
Moreover, the soundbar has a sub-woofer output connection which is now connected to a Velodyne sub-woofer.

While no competition for my 7.1 channel AVR the soundbar noticeably improves the audio on all OTA and TWC cable programs, compared to the LG native sound.

The AVR is now reserved for BR/HDDVD and some DB 5.1 enabled programs, saving ~ 150 watts of power, which in San Diego utility rates is significant.
Timothy91's Avatar Timothy91 12:20 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I no longer have my LH90, and now have the LHX, but I remember seeing this when my BRIGHTNESS level was above 53. If yours is bring it down to 52 and increase the BACKLIGHT a bit to compensate before spending money on cables. Hope this works for you

Nope. Even when decreasing the brightness or even the backlight, I cannot get rid of the slight dark gray corners. They are still there. Even when using the very dark THX mode. It's coming from either an inherent design flaw or it's in the signal itself.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne 05:22 PM 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Nope. Even when decreasing the brightness or even the backlight, I cannot get rid of the slight dark gray corners. They are still there. Even when using the very dark THX mode. It's coming from either an inherent design flaw or it's in the signal itself.

While the 55LHX was down for repair, put the 55LH90 back up in it's place. First thing I noticed was the Backlight Never seems to completely turn off in the Black areas. You're talking about bleeding from the corners, I found it bled all over the Black areas! Tried every adjustment, the only way to get the Ghost Lighting to go away was to turn the set off! Of course, then you can't see anything! When the 55LHX came back, back to the Blacks being Black again, with no Bleeding at all!
Timothy91's Avatar Timothy91 01:40 PM 10-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

While the 55LHX was down for repair, put the 55LH90 back up in it's place. First thing I noticed was the Backlight Never seems to completely turn off in the Black areas. You're talking about bleeding from the corners, I found it bled all over the Black areas! Tried every adjustment, the only way to get the Ghost Lighting to go away was to turn the set off! Of course, then you can't see anything! When the 55LHX came back, back to the Blacks being Black again, with no Bleeding at all!

This is troubling. I spent extra money for this 55LH90 so that I could get deep blacks for night time movie viewing and the brightest picture possible for daytime viewing. I'm using Expert 1 for night time and Expert 2 for daytime. I was using medium gamma, I'm resetting the gamma to 'low' and using the built in picture calibrator then I'm going to see if that helps the bleeding at all. This is getting a bit depressing since in all other aspects, this set is really really good. If I can get the light bleeding to go away, this set will be as good as I could ever want. I just have to clear this one last hurdle. I'll try the gamma 'low' just in case it helps but if necessary, I'm going to try the cheap high speed monoprice cables in the hopes that it might be some kind of overscan section of the picture showing white just off the edge of the screen and having a certain kind of cable just might shut it off. I can only hope it's something like that.
KONICA TECH's Avatar KONICA TECH 10:31 PM 10-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Nope. Even when decreasing the brightness or even the backlight, I cannot get rid of the slight dark gray corners. They are still there. Even when using the very dark THX mode. It's coming from either an inherent design flaw or it's in the signal itself.

It does not sound right. Is there any way you can post a picture of this because it sounds like "flashlighting" which usually only results from edge-lit LCD TVs. You may have some seperation at the edges of the panel.
I would call LG and have a tech look at it.
undecided's Avatar undecided 10:46 PM 10-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

This is troubling. I spent extra money for this 55LH90 so that I could get deep blacks for night time movie viewing and the brightest picture possible for daytime viewing. I'm using Expert 1 for night time and Expert 2 for daytime. I was using medium gamma, I'm resetting the gamma to 'low' and using the built in picture calibrator then I'm going to see if that helps the bleeding at all. This is getting a bit depressing since in all other aspects, this set is really really good. If I can get the light bleeding to go away, this set will be as good as I could ever want. I just have to clear this one last hurdle. I'll try the gamma 'low' just in case it helps but if necessary, I'm going to try the cheap high speed monoprice cables in the hopes that it might be some kind of overscan section of the picture showing white just off the edge of the screen and having a certain kind of cable just might shut it off. I can only hope it's something like that.

I doubt it is overscan - but the easy way to check is download AVSHD from here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 - check out the overscan pattern. Does the 55LH90 have a just scan mode.....

I was thinking about a 55LH90 as an alternative to my 26 day old 55LE8500 - at the current time I am thinking I'll keep the 55LE8500 - blacks and shadow detail are perfect - I see some banding but I think I can live with it.
Timothy91's Avatar Timothy91 12:32 PM 11-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

I doubt it is overscan - but the easy way to check is download AVSHD from here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 - check out the overscan pattern. Does the 55LH90 have a just scan mode.....

I was thinking about a 55LH90 as an alternative to my 26 day old 55LE8500 - at the current time I am thinking I'll keep the 55LE8500 - blacks and shadow detail are perfect - I see some banding but I think I can live with it.

Yes, the LH90 has a "just scan" mode. I can try it out but I get the impression that that won't be a real way to identify the problem.
Timothy91's Avatar Timothy91 11:36 AM 11-02-2010
Ok,

After playing around with gamma, and testing with the lights out, I am taking back my previous statement that gamma 'high' looked better. Gamma 'low' looks superior with black level and I finally have what looks like a uniform black backround when playing movies/TV and the screen fades to black. It's not perfectly black but it's close enough for me to be satisfied with night viewing. I had to play with my screen angle a bit too.

While the black level is not on par with DLP or plasma, it's much much better than most LCDs at night. So, for anyone with the corners bleeding dark gray, try a 'low' gamma, run the built-in picture wizard and then tilt your screen up/down until the black looks uniform across the screen (or at least as close as you can get it). This worked for me. *Make sure you do this at night, find a fade to black moment in a movie where there is black, but the screen is not completely off. This is the best way to fix the issue. I couldn't come up with any other method.
pfontainejr's Avatar pfontainejr 11:23 AM 11-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I PM'D you the code! For some reason we are not suppose to publish it on the forum... Thank's, Ed

can i also get the THX code (along with any changes made in this setting).....pretty plz?!?!??!
pfontainejr's Avatar pfontainejr 08:07 AM 11-10-2010
ok...need just alittle advise...got my new ledlcdtv down to 2 models, the LG 47LH90 & LG 47LE8500. These 2 models are discounted heavily in my area (over half of msrp) so price is not the issue.... the issue u ask?.......which one do i go for? im leaning towards the LH90 due to the matte screen but have heard that the LE8500 isnt as bad as it looks...any input from u, the pros, is very much welcome....thx.
Mark the Red's Avatar Mark the Red 10:22 AM 11-10-2010
Looking to pull the trigger on this set, and just have a few quick questions from the pros here:

(a) Do you see any artifacts generated from 1080i sources? I use and like Dish Network and all their HD sources are 1080i. Read somewhere that this set creates artifacts with 1080i sources. Kindly please let me know if this is a bunch of hooey

(b) Read that the 240hz motion settings are not good / terrible for this set. Do you turn this off? I have no desire for it but would like to hear your input.

(c) Should I pay more for the 55lhx / 55lx8500? I don't give two hoots about 3d and never will. Picture quality is everything and I would prefer a non-glossy finish due to the amount of windows in my living room.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.
jdpdata's Avatar jdpdata 12:13 PM 11-10-2010
I had my 55LH90 for about 3 weeks now. I've watched mostly OTA HDTV and can confirm artifacts with TruMo on. Haven't watched enough different sources to narrow it down to just 1080i sources. But I don't remember seeing artifacts when watching BluRay 1080P.

TruMo low (120Hz) vs high (240Hz) is indistinguishable to me. On high setting, the LED suppose to flash on/off to simulate higher refresh rate, though I can't see improvement over low setting. I usually have it off except when viewing Sports and animation like Family Guy.

I don't have experiences with other two sets you listed. Go check out their dedicated thread to get users impressions.

I'd still purchase the LH90 over the other sets despite it's minor drawbacks. Prices right now are very low compare to other in same class.
First ... 150  151  152 153  154  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop