Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 153 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4561 of 4729 Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

I had my 55LH90 for about 3 weeks now. I've watched mostly OTA HDTV and can confirm artifacts with TruMo on. Haven't watched enough different sources to narrow it down to just 1080i sources. But I don't remember seeing artifacts when watching BluRay 1080P.

TruMo low (120Hz) vs high (240Hz) is indistinguishable to me. On high setting, the LED suppose to flash on/off to simulate higher refresh rate, though I can't see improvement over low setting. I usually have it off except when viewing Sports and animation like Family Guy.

I don't have experiences with other two sets you listed. Go check out their dedicated thread to get users impressions.

I'd still purchase the LH90 over the other sets despite it's minor drawbacks. Prices right now are very low compare to other in same class.

So if I turn Trumo off, I won't see artifacts on 1080i sources? I'm totally cool with that; not a Trumo guy myself. I'm of the most humble opinion that if directors wanted their films to look like soap operas' they have the technology to do so. Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4729 Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Liked: 10
Yeah, just leave it off for most sources. I do prefer to turn TruMo on for Sports and Animations. It gives it a nice effect.

I'm wondering if the LG processing engine is causing the artifacts. Does other manufactures (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic) have the same issues? Someone with experience wanna chime in?
post #4563 of 4729 Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Can you guys who own this set do me a favor? Next time you see the new MacBook Air ad, take notice of the headphone icon as the ad pan slowly toward right. Does the icon look sharp during the panning?

On my set, I get massive judder as it pan slowly. The icon is blurry and bouncing all over the place. I'm trying to determine if my HTPC (mythTV) is causing the judder or if the source of the ad. I get lots of judder during NFL games too. Can't see the football very well as the camera pans across the field. Driving me nuts to figure out what's causing it.
post #4564 of 4729 Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Looking to pull the trigger on this set, and just have a few quick questions from the pros here:

(a) Do you see any artifacts generated from 1080i sources? I use and like Dish Network and all their HD sources are 1080i. Read somewhere that this set creates artifacts with 1080i sources. Kindly please let me know if this is a bunch of hooey

(b) Read that the 240hz motion settings are not good / terrible for this set. Do you turn this off? I have no desire for it but would like to hear your input.

(c) Should I pay more for the 55lhx / 55lx8500? I don't give two hoots about 3d and never will. Picture quality is everything and I would prefer a non-glossy finish due to the amount of windows in my living room.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.
55LHX - Black Panel Virtually the same Black as the Bezel. Could only compare to my older Dark Gray Panelled 55LH90 July and November 2009 builds and the 55LHX is far superior. Have not seen any of the 2010 Model 55LH90s, but there appears to have been a possible fix that gave them better Blacks. Re 55LX8500 - read their Forum - as is usual, some Forum Members praise it, others have returned it. Will come down to whether you prefer a Matte or Mirror Screen. Supposedly, the xxLX8500 is a 55LHX improved. (Depending whether you think moving away from Matte Screen is a positive or negative thing. Plus you may or may not get Banding Problems.) The 55LHX PQ far better when leaving the Media Box out of the circuit and going directly to the AVR. I was hoping that the 55LHX would have dropped further in price by now, as I'd like to replace my last 55LH90 with another 55LHX. But then, on reading about the new Lex8 Series coming next year?
Re: TruMotion - normally leave Off, but the odd time, blurring during the odd video, will cause me to turn it to Low.

Just Updated July Build 55LH90 from FW 3.07 to 3.13 (Appears this is as high as it would go - so, I assume starting with 3.14, the 55LH90 was a different build!?) The Bleeding Backlight into the Black areas may have been fixed!

OK, after watching MythBusters in HD - can't believe the PQ quality difference - Bolder Colours and more solid Blacks - wife has now told me to leave it alone - she loves the FW upgrade!
post #4565 of 4729 Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Can anyone comment on the stability of the pedastal included with the LG 55LH90 55" LED TV?

I just realized after I purchased it that my media center depth is 16.5 inches, and the stand is 17.9 inches deep. Didn't expect such a large size for the stand. Hoping it's ok if it stick off the back end of my media center which is next to the wall.
post #4566 of 4729 Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Can anyone comment on the stability of the pedastal included with the LG 55LH90 55" LED TV?

I just realized after I purchased it that my media center depth is 16.5 inches, and the stand is 17.9 inches deep. Didn't expect such a large size for the stand. Hoping it's ok if it stick off the back end of my media center which is next to the wall.
My problem was that the Bezel made the 55LH90 too tall to fit into my Cabinet. Ended up removing the bottom part of the stand and screwed it onto a secondary shelf that now sits on top of the primary shelf - to solidify, I did screw the back of secondary shelf to the primary shelf, at the back. Best get the wife's approval before doing this part! This now allowed the 55LH90 to be right up at the front of the cabinet. If you have the height room available, you could also do the same with a secondary shelf unit to extend forward to allow for the base: still have to have something to stop this shelf from tipping forward. In my case, since there was a shelf above the LG, I was able to put a wood piece in that went from the secondary shelf to the overhead shelf, behind the panel.
post #4567 of 4729 Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

My problem was that the Bezel made the 55LH90 too tall to fit into my Cabinet. Ended up removing the bottom part of the stand and screwed it onto a secondary shelf that now sits on top of the primary shelf - to solidify, I did screw the back of secondary shelf to the primary shelf, at the back. Best get the wife's approval before doing this part! This now allowed the 55LH90 to be right up at the front of the cabinet. If you have the height room available, you could also do the same with a secondary shelf unit to extend forward to allow for the base: still have to have something to stop this shelf from tipping forward. In my case, since there was a shelf above the LG, I was able to put a wood piece in that went from the secondary shelf to the overhead shelf, behind the panel.

IMO, I hate the stand that this set comes with. I am wall mounting my set because of it. In my old house, our basement is a poured slab so it's not 100% level. With this stand, I had to put a small stint under the left side of the stand to balance it out. Never had that problem with my Panansonic Plasma.

Love the set, hate the bezel and stand. Can't wait to wall mount it next week when I move into my new home.
post #4568 of 4729 Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

IMO, I hate the stand that this set comes with. I am wall mounting my set because of it. In my old house, our basement is a poured slab so it's not 100% level. With this stand, I had to put a small stint under the left side of the stand to balance it out. Never had that problem with my Panansonic Plasma.

Love the set, hate the bezel and stand. Can't wait to wall mount it next week when I move into my new home.

Hmmmm.... my media center is a pretty flat surface. I was hoping to just keep it on the stand so I could use the swivel function.

When you mount it, do you lose the ability to turn the screen to different directions?
post #4569 of 4729 Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Hmmmm.... my media center is a pretty flat surface. I was hoping to just keep it on the stand so I could use the swivel function.

When you mount it, do you lose the ability to turn the screen to different directions?

depends on the mount. Personally, I will have mine flat mounted. Monoprice sells a ton of mounts that are adjustable for a good price.
post #4570 of 4729 Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 AM

How is this LG compared to the Samsung 55CN6300?
post #4571 of 4729 Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditbu13oi View Post

How is this LG compared to the Samsung 55CN6300?

Sorry, never seen one - did you checkout the Forum for that model?
post #4572 of 4729 Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Photos showing PQ
Batch re-sized with IRFanview, instructions here:
http://www.lancelotgroup.com/tutoria...View-Start.asp

Some screen reflections, Some pics show the Chroma5 colorimeter and the string to hold it in place.

PGA Golf from Torrey Pines, San Diego
Nascar broadcast booth.

Except for resizing these are straight from the camera, no editing at all.

Camera is a Panasonic Lumix TZ5.
Read about it here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #4573 of 4729 Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Someone stated a few pages back that it seemed like there panel never "fully dimmed" for blacks that were on the screen. It seems as if I have the same problem. I have a March '10 build 55LH90 with FW: 3.18. Any ideas? I have a certified tech coming out Thursday morning.
post #4574 of 4729 Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM

I picked up a 55lh90 at Costco and have gotten a really good picture. My problem is that fast action sequences on sports occasionally produces a split second picture break up. I have TruMotion off and still get it. I am using my THX settings in Expert 1 with the result of the picture wizard. All processing is off except Real Cinema.

I have Directv. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Scott
post #4575 of 4729 Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Scherr View Post

I picked up a 55lh90 at Costco and have gotten a really good picture. My problem is that fast action sequences on sports occasionally produces a split second picture break up. I have TruMotion off and still get it. I am using my THX settings in Expert 1 with the result of the picture wizard. All processing is off except Real Cinema.

I have Directv. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Scott

Could be the broadcast.
post #4576 of 4729 Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Any of you guys have the Firmware for the 47LH90?
post #4577 of 4729 Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakman View Post

Someone stated a few pages back that it seemed like there panel never "fully dimmed" for blacks that were on the screen. It seems as if I have the same problem. I have a March '10 build 55LH90 with FW: 3.18. Any ideas? I have a certified tech coming out Thursday morning.

The Milky Blacks were mine. After looking at Catmother's results, tend to believe there was a fault with my set originally (or may have happened during the course of owning it) that updating the FW fixed. Now have almost the same Blacks as my 55LHX. There's still the differences of the 55LHX having an actual, almost Black Panel with Backlighting of 3360 LEDs, versus the 55LH90 with it's Dark Grey Panel and 960 LEDs.
Re your Milky Blacks: re-installing the FW may correct the problem as well. I'm thinking the Upgrade EDID Data probably did the trick, or in your case, re-doing to replace possible data corruption.
post #4578 of 4729 Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Thanks. I will keep an eye on it. Never had the problem with my CRT.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Could be the broadcast.

post #4579 of 4729 Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The Milky Blacks were mine.

Now have almost the same Blacks as my 55LHX.

A professional caibrator would have caught your "milky blacks" issue in a heartbeat.

Some of us were always aware that you were shilling the 55LHX based upon questionable and uncorroborated findings that have tended to change like the weather. Your latest gem of advice to trash the 55LHX media box because it degrades picture quality is just plain wrong.

-nony
post #4580 of 4729 Old 11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

A professional caibrator would have caught your "milky blacks" issue in a heartbeat.

Some of us were always aware that you were shilling the 55LHX based upon questionable and uncorroborated findings that have tended to change like the weather. Your latest gem of advice to trash the 55LHX media box because it degrades picture quality is just plain wrong.

-nony

The Milky Blacks were not present at first, but gradually developed. The FW update, and I'm going to asume that upgrading the EDID Data corrected something that went wrong. The milky blacks are gone on the 55LH90.
There are no Professional Calibrators in my town, anyone I've run in to, knows less than I do. Most of the service centers here, when queried, admitted to having no calibration equipment, instead relied on eyeballing the set! I've had to become self taught with some input from ChadB, for which I'm grateful. Teaching oneself, tends to lead in different directions. Sometimes it's the wrong way, and you end up correcting yourself, or have others turn you around and face the correct way. Hence, changes in approaches and postings.
Konica, also removed his Media Box and found a PQ improvement! Also, in talking with the Techies who repaired my 55LHX, they were also disappointed at the PQ degradation caused by the Media Box and finished up my set without it. Same with my wife's set! She found the PQ too mushy, and much preferred the PQ once the Media Box was removed, and the Input came directly from the AVR.
Please Note: we're all here to learn, teach and put forth our findings and questions in hope others will be able help, or be helped. As always, we each perceive our Video Displays differently. To one it's perfect, to another it's not! We're human, we all see, hear and perceive differently, along with our different tastes on how we like to see and hear!
post #4581 of 4729 Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Same conditions as earlier post except for higher resolution.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #4582 of 4729 Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM

I got my set delivered yesterday (spent most of the day tweaking and reading the calibration thread). I have my go to settings in the expert 1 and 2 categories (night and day respectively) but I'm wondering if there is a quick way to change between the settings with my harmony remote. When using the TV remote you can press q.menu and then scroll there but in order to make it effective on my harmony it would work best with only one button. I thought the AVmode button would be my solution but it only switches between off/thx/game/sports.

Any suggestions?
post #4583 of 4729 Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Sorry, never seen one - did you checkout the Forum for that model?

I ended up getting the UN60C6300 cause it was too good of a deal to pass up, but I might have made a mistake and should have gotten the LH90
post #4584 of 4729 Old 11-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post

I got my set delivered yesterday (spent most of the day tweaking and reading the calibration thread). I have my go to settings in the expert 1 and 2 categories (night and day respectively) but I'm wondering if there is a quick way to change between the settings with my harmony remote. When using the TV remote you can press q.menu and then scroll there but in order to make it effective on my harmony it would work best with only one button. I thought the AVmode button would be my solution but it only switches between off/thx/game/sports.

Any suggestions?

I asked this same question a few pages back. To my knowledge, the LG has no discrete IR codes for accessing Expert1 or Expert2 modes.
post #4585 of 4729 Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 AM

I've been searching around but cannot find an answer. Does the 55LH90 pass DD 5.1/DTS over the optical port from a source that's plugged into one of the HDMI ports????

Apparently many TVs did not do this before secondary to legal/DRM concerns, but some do now.
post #4586 of 4729 Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question about gaming. Do I need to turn local dimming off? If so, why?
post #4587 of 4729 Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 AM

chopchop: search this thread for "audio sync".

You'll get a plethroa of info Re: Pass-Thru audio of LG's TV's Optical Audio out port.

In a Nutshell, if you have an recent f/w on your TV, mostly NO.
Else, yes- with a caveat of lip sync issues.
post #4588 of 4729 Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alster View Post

chopchop: search this thread for "audio sync".

You'll get a plethroa of info Re: Pass-Thru audio of LG's TV's Optical Audio out port.

In a Nutshell, if you have an recent f/w on your TV, mostly NO.
Else, yes- with a caveat of lip sync issues.

After extensive searching, I still haven't found a definitive answer one way or the other, so I was hoping current owners of the 55LH90 could chime in. The manual for the TV implies that it should work

Copied straight from the TV manual:

If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL
AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp).

Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may
block digital audio output.

I also came across an old review from Costco:

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11531514/reviews.htm

Quote:

and the optical out lets you take any Dolby Digital signal and push it right to your sound system

Edit: I think I am in luck!

Someone in a different thread posted about how their LG 55LH90 did pass DD through the optical out
post #4589 of 4729 Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

Quick question about gaming. Do I need to turn local dimming off? If so, why?

More for game where you want to reduce input lag, such as fps and games that involve "timing" aka Street Fighter
post #4590 of 4729 Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditbu13oi View Post
I ended up getting the UN60C6300 cause it was too good of a deal to pass up, but I might have made a mistake and should have gotten the LH90

Ya I would say so the LH90 is top notch!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page