Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 158 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4711 of 4726 Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Newbie
 
mk262's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 42LH90 connected to a vizio sound bar using optical (which of course is the only audio out this tv has).

When I view content from my patriot box, connected via hdmi, I can watch all my videos fine, DTS, AC3 5.1, etc.

When I view content from OTA using my antenna, any station, the sound bar starts making a constant buzzing sound. Oddly, the tv speaker works fine. This set has no audio options of any kind once you disable the tv speaker and none of those options are technical. It's balance, bass/treble, etc.

I tried searching this thread but couldn't find anyone with a similar issue. Up until now I've had cable, connected to the tv via hdmi. Now that I'm on broadcast this is my first experience.

I called LG and, after a few rounds, they said they need a day or two to hear back from a higher level team before they can help. Has anyone had a similar problem? I would appreciate any input.
mk262 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4712 of 4726 Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Adding the iScan Duo to both my wife's 42LH90, and my daughter's 55LH90 in order to be able to AutoCal the calibrations of these 2 sets. Cuts down on the various Input Issues, plus will speed up the calibrations. Has been recommended that with AutoCal, use Expert 1 instead of THX. For those who'd like to go higher than the iScan Duo check out www.curtpalme.com re some great specials on the Lumagen units with a Darbee thrown in!

PLUS, let's not forget our Sponsors:

http://shop.avscience.com/Lumagen-Radiance-Mini-3D-Darbee-Darblet-Bundle_p_538.html
p5browne is offline  
post #4713 of 4726 Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Still work in progress: as Calman gets better, so does the 55LHX and 42LH90. After much experimenting we're now doing the following.
#1. It appears that calibrating the actual 55LHX and 42LH90, seems to stress the TVs. On my 55LHX, have now off loaded the calibration onto a Lumagen Radiance XE-3D that I picked up on a Black Friday special pricing. (Even better deal now currently re: open box special at www.curtpalme.com with Darbee thrown in - 3 left). My wife's 55LHX and 42LH90 calibration are now off loaded onto an iScan Duos. The Theatre Room LG 55LV9500 is also off loaded onto an iScan Duo.
#2. Calibration is done on Expert 1. The Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness and Tint values are placed in all the other Modes. (Backlight, Contrast, Brightness calibrated inside Calman. Colour tweaked inside Calman) All the other Modes have Colour set to Zero. All Modes have any 10 Point IRE's, 2 Point, and CMS values set to Zeroes. All Modes have Gamma set to Low on the 55LHX, Medium on the 42LH90 and White Balance to Warm.
On the 42LH90 and 55LV9500, all HDMI Inputs are zeroed, excepting the Input I'm working on. (Input 2.)
#3. Service Menu White Balances for Cool, Medium and Warm, RGB Gains and Cuts, calibrated for Warm setting values.
#4. The Expert 1 2 Point values are calibrated from within Calman during calibration, and the Expert 1 2/10 Point selection, is left on 2 Point.
#5. Once everything is setup, calibration is done with a Spectracal C6, profiled from a i1Pro, using the current Calman 5.1 version, and AutoCal is used for the 11 Point, and 125 Point 3D LUT. On the iScan Duos, AutoCal for 11 Point and CMS.
Since moving to this form and structure, have had far less problems with the LGs - leaving the stress to the XE and Duos. PQ now looks like watching out your front window to the world, after cleaning the window, and adding a Darbee (on my set only) to enhance the experience!

One thing I've noticed since doing this, when I do a complete reset to all zeroes, the PQ is now looking pretty good. The calibration just makes it look that much better!
p5browne is offline  
post #4714 of 4726 Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Newbie
 
caseflys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good info,about to move 52a750 into room to compare side by side...yes it can be turned on/off auto dimm ,thank you 6.gif
caseflys is offline  
post #4715 of 4726 Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Wife got fed up with the Duo's HDMI hand shaking problems, Will now have to do a full re-calibration. Will post values once finished.

6 Hours Later!

May 19,2013

Wife's 47LH90 Calibrations using Calman 5, C6 on TriPod, profiled off NonEn i1Pro
Now using iScan Duo for Patterns instead of the Spectracals DPG1000 Pattern Generator

As per request:

Gamma Medium, White Balance Warm Luminance 156

Service Menu White Balance: Cool/Medium/Warm All calibrated to Warm settings.
A much more fine tuned Brightness and Contrast were done through Calman 5

RG: 192/192/192
GG: 170/171/170
BG: 69/68/67
RC: 66/65/66
GC: 65/64/65
BC: 67/66/67

BL: 45
CT: 78
BR: 49
HS: 54
VS: 58
CL: 49
Tnt: 0

2 Point Calibration:

Red Contrast (100 IRE): 4
Green Contrast (100 IRE): 0
Blue Contrast (100 IRE): 18
Red Brightness (30 IRE): 11
Green Brightness (30 IRE): 0
Blue Brightness (30 IRE): 22

CMS:
RC: 8
RT: -9
Gc: 11
GT: -29
Bc: 2
Bt: 22
YC: -9
YT: -1
CC: 0
CT: -2
MC: 2
MT: -1

10 Point Calibration:

100: -5/-8/11
90 : -1/-5/13
80 : -1/-8/10
70 : -1/-7/14
60 : -2/-5/10
50 : 0/-4/13
40 : 1/-4/11
30 : 3/-2/9
20 : 5/2/10
10 : 7/5/6

Notes: Values will be changing due to 2 different Calibration changes
#1 - Now calibrating only with the i1Pro NonEnhanced for CMS, and Spectrcal 6 Profiled from the i1Pro for Greyscale
#2 - Negating Values in the Computer settings on each HDMI Input /Modes and setting the Backlight, Contrast, Brightness and Sharpness to the same as the Video settings. All Colour settings set to Zero on the Computer Settings. Found that the Computer settings were affecting the Video settings.
p5browne is offline  
post #4716 of 4726 Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Bump

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4717 of 4726 Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 PM
gdg
Senior Member
 
gdg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought one of the last Panasonic TCP50ST60 plasma's available in Canada so I was planning on selling my LG 42LH90. Is there a used market for the LG and can anyone suggest the best place to advertise it?
gdg is offline  
post #4718 of 4726 Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg View Post

I just bought one of the last Panasonic TCP50ST60 plasma's available in Canada so I was planning on selling my LG 42LH90. Is there a used market for the LG and can anyone suggest the best place to advertise it?

Craigslist.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #4719 of 4726 Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg View Post

I just bought one of the last Panasonic TCP50ST60 plasma's available in Canada so I was planning on selling my LG 42LH90. Is there a used market for the LG and can anyone suggest the best place to advertise it?
Let us know if you sell it. I have a 47LH90 thats like new. Been in storage for 3 years and I cant hardly give it away.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4720 of 4726 Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
New calibration technique re: Calibrating the Service Menu White Balance Gains to give the Normal 2 and 10 Point 100% on Spec. at default values. Improved PQ, and the best I've ever seen on this set. AutoCal on the iScan Duo using Calman 5.3.5 RC2 Build #1570. (New RC3 just became available tonight.)
p5browne is offline  
post #4721 of 4726 Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

New calibration technique re: Calibrating the Service Menu White Balance Gains to give the Normal 2 and 10 Point 100% on Spec. at default values. Improved PQ, and the best I've ever seen on this set. AutoCal on the iScan Duo using Calman 5.3.5 RC2 Build #1570. (New RC3 just became available tonight.)
I have no idea what this means. Are you saying you just recalibrated yours with a new machine?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4722 of 4726 Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
For the last 4 years, after consulting with another member on the Forum, we have basically been trying to come up with the Best calibration possible on first a 42 and 55LH90, then 55LHX. And, that it would last.
We started from sets set at default, calibrated the Brightness and Contrast (which is usually in the 85 and 45 settings area.) Then went into the Service Menu and calibrated the Cool/Medium/Warm White Balances to LG's book spec values. This made it a lot easier to now do the 10 Point in the Normal Mode. But we found the sets somewhat unstable. That's when the other Member mentioned, since we don't use Medium and Cool anyways, why not calibrate all 3 to the Warm Spec. This helped greatly in stabilizing the sets. Until a short time ago, this is what we've done.
But, then along came some Samsung sets: Service Menu White Balance is all in Cool Specs. Realized this after calibrating to Warm spec and bricked the set. Warranty repair done, back up and running. So, leave those White Balances alone! Wife wants to replace a great looking Samsung 32" with the same, except Smart. (Unfortunately not a good PQ as the bumped set.) Only 2 Point available on the 32s. Then it hit me, leave Normal Menu on default Menus, and manipulate the SM WBs to give my Normal 2 Point Menu, on default, the proper Specs. Worked great! Applied same method to the older 32". Work great as well here.
Lets try this on my LG 42LH90, both LG 55LHXs, and on a LG 55LV9500 that I was in the process of selling. Beautiful! Best I've ever seen these sets! Also have now applied to my basement Samsung PN64F8500 - same thing, best results so far.
The only issue we ran into on the older LH90 and LHXs was, the SM WB Offsets, DON'T affect the 30% in either the 2 or 10 Point. So just calibrated the SM WB Offsets to Warm spec to be on the safe side.
From here, Calman was used to finish the calibrations by AutoCalling either iScan Duos, or Radiance Lumagens.
Re the New Smart TV - after 50 hours, set just clicked in, and now has a great PQ as well.
p5browne is offline  
post #4723 of 4726 Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

For the last 4 years, after consulting with another member on the Forum, we have basically been trying to come up with the Best calibration possible on first a 42 and 55LH90, then 55LHX. And, that it would last.
We started from sets set at default, calibrated the Brightness and Contrast (which is usually in the 85 and 45 settings area.) Then went into the Service Menu and calibrated the Cool/Medium/Warm White Balances to LG's book spec values. This made it a lot easier to now do the 10 Point in the Normal Mode. But we found the sets somewhat unstable. That's when the other Member mentioned, since we don't use Medium and Cool anyways, why not calibrate all 3 to the Warm Spec. This helped greatly in stabilizing the sets. Until a short time ago, this is what we've done.
But, then along came some Samsung sets: Service Menu White Balance is all in Cool Specs. Realized this after calibrating to Warm spec and bricked the set. Warranty repair done, back up and running. So, leave those White Balances alone! Wife wants to replace a great looking Samsung 32" with the same, except Smart. (Unfortunately not a good PQ as the bumped set.) Only 2 Point available on the 32s. Then it hit me, leave Normal Menu on default Menus, and manipulate the SM WBs to give my Normal 2 Point Menu, on default, the proper Specs. Worked great! Applied same method to the older 32". Work great as well here.
Lets try this on my LG 42LH90, both LG 55LHXs, and on a LG 55LV9500 that I was in the process of selling. Beautiful! Best I've ever seen these sets! Also have now applied to my basement Samsung PN64F8500 - same thing, best results so far.
The only issue we ran into on the older LH90 and LHXs was, the SM WB Offsets, DON'T affect the 30% in either the 2 or 10 Point. So just calibrated the SM WB Offsets to Warm spec to be on the safe side.
From here, Calman was used to finish the calibrations by AutoCalling either iScan Duos, or Radiance Lumagens.
Re the New Smart TV - after 50 hours, set just clicked in, and now has a great PQ as well.
I have a 47LH90. Would it be necessary for me to enter the Service Menu for your settings to be helpful to me?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4724 of 4726 Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I have a 47LH90. Would it be necessary for me to enter the Service Menu for your settings to be helpful to me?

Every set is different. I can give you my settings for B&C, and SM WB but they may not apply to your set.
I showed the 42LH90, that I'd calibrated the old way, a few months back, to my brother-in-law when he was deciding which set he wanted to buy off me.
As a test, showed him the calibrated set I'd done at Night, in the Dark, in the Dark room. Looks great! Turned the lights on, then showed how the room affected the PQ. He couldn't believe the difference! This was done as a warning: yes I'd include a calibration in his purchase price, but, be prepared to see either a positive or negative change when he got it home. He went with the LG 55LV9500 - which, once paid for, him and the girl friend split, and she had to pay him off for his share!
The Service Menu is the key, but you do need calibrating equipment in order to pull this technique off.
As to another tidbit: LG SM WBs are all WAY OFF! Warm which is suppose to be 6500K, is usually 9500K. Medium is up around 11000K, and Cool, up around 13500K . Another reason for calibrating the Service Menu White Balances! When doing Normal 2/10 Point and CMS calibrations, you're having to try and offset the SM WBs being overly exaggerated !
p5browne is offline  
post #4725 of 4726 Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Every set is different. I can give you my settings for B&C, and SM WB but they may not apply to your set.
I showed the 42LH90, that I'd calibrated the old way, a few months back, to my brother-in-law when he was deciding which set he wanted to buy off me.
As a test, showed him the calibrated set I'd done at Night, in the Dark, in the Dark room. Looks great! Turned the lights on, then showed how the room affected the PQ. He couldn't believe the difference! This was done as a warning: yes I'd include a calibration in his purchase price, but, be prepared to see either a positive or negative change when he got it home. He went with the LG 55LV9500 - which, once paid for, him and the girl friend split, and she had to pay him off for his share!
The Service Menu is the key, but you do need calibrating equipment in order to pull this technique off.
As to another tidbit: LG SM WBs are all WAY OFF! Warm which is suppose to be 6500K, is usually 9500K. Medium is up around 11000K, and Cool, up around 13500K . Another reason for calibrating the Service Menu White Balances! When doing Normal 2/10 Point and CMS calibrations, you're having to try and offset the SM WBs being overly exaggerated !
Thanks for the info.
I understand every set is different and it depends on the enviro. Just thought I might try yours and see if its better. I can always switch back to what Im using now which looks pretty good. But I dont want to mess with the Service menu. Thanks anyway.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4726 of 4726 Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:Originally Posted by Bond 007 

Thanks for the info.
I understand every set is different and it depends on the enviro. Just thought I might try yours and see if its better. I can always switch back to what Im using now which looks pretty good. But I dont want to mess with the Service menu. Thanks anyway.


Unfortunately, if you don't get the exaggerated LG Service Menu White Balances under control, then the system is always in a destabilized mode.

Note: White Screen effect, changes between Gamma being on Low, Medium and High, with High having the least White Back ground. Re-calibrated the set with Gamma set to High since I detest White Back grounds! Also deciding between Dynamic being on Low or Off - does give a sharper PQ when on Low.

Last edited by p5browne; 06-20-2014 at 07:30 AM.
p5browne is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off