Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4726 Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your condolences... I now have the tv on Energy Mode minimum and it seems to help the backlight fluctuation some but not alot. It also makes the picture darker also... It loses its pop w/ energy mode on. The biggest problem I have come across is the 240hz is very weak on side scrolling and panning. I thought it did but Energy mode did not help 240hz just looked like it at first..Thats when the issues mainly occur.. If LG can fix this issue this set should be top choice in HDTV LED LCD's to date..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4726 Old 05-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

Thank you for your condolences... I now have the tv on Energy Mode minimum and it seems to help the backlight fluctuation some but not alot. It also makes the picture darker also... It loses its pop w/ energy mode on. The biggest problem I have come across is the 240hz is very weak on side scrolling and panning. I thought it did but Energy mode did not help 240hz just looked like it at first..Thats when the issues mainly occur.. If LG can fix this issue this set should be top choice in HDTV LED LCD's to date..

Having spent a little more time with it, in case some of your original thoughts have changed, what aspects are better for you versus the Sammy B750? And which aspects would you give the nod to the B750? Thanks in advance.
post #33 of 4726 Old 05-30-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Now having spent much more time with the LG I have noticed some slight clouding issues. Now these are basically the most minor clouds they are there..(only noticed them playing/watching Racing,panning parts of movies, COD4, CODWaW, GTA4, forza, grid) However I can not notice them when a still image is displayed..
The B750 Has a better SD picture even A750 also. But the pic on the LG is way less blurry.. No matter how hard I tried I couldnt get the 240hz or even 120hz on Samsungs 09' models to work properly..Games like COD4, Forza 2, Grid etc worked well though every thing else even movies not24p were nothing as good as the A750's 120hz Compared..Too many artifacts Now most people would say disengage the 240hz or 120hz but the Samsung A750 nailed it IMHO.. And I love the Soap Opera Effect if done right w/minimal artifacts.. The LG's BL dimming w/ 240hz Off has been doing ok for me, But Its not what I was hoping 240hz backlight scanning would perform.. It basically looks less bright as traditional CCFL LCD's and deep blacks about like a Plasma (yes I just said that) More sharpness and No worries of Image Retention..
The viewing angle Is good considering my stand is about Approx.29 inches tall and total of 37inches inc stand (which came installed ) up to beginning of lower part of the screen..
I have slept on the floor in the Den lately and Have not noticed any major washout or pic drop off B750 has good screen uniformity but IMHO not as good as the LG's plus They are not crushed blacks like the B750's This produce solid deep backs..

Now would any one have an Idea about to how I would see if there was an update for this issue?? Do not want to have a service tech out
post #34 of 4726 Old 05-30-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to add That I have a decent amount of knowledge with the picture settings but, there is so many color settings I doubt I am getting the best pic possible out of this set.. When you select ISF pic mode its almost a whole different ball game for me.
post #35 of 4726 Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Wanted to add That I have a decent amount of knowledge with the picture settings but, there is so many color settings I doubt I am getting the best pic possible out of this set.. When you select ISF pic mode its almost a whole different ball game for me.

Overall your liking the LG right? I guess there's no problem with just HD TV and movies, any clouding or artifices just watching HD channels?
post #36 of 4726 Old 05-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Paillouisj - I just looked at least years LG LED, the LG90 and I thought the colors were fantastic as was the detail of the picture but what killed it compared to all the others is the black level which you've already stated is very good, and the off angel viewing. Of angle the set washed out the quickest of ALL the LCD's it was surrounded by.
Can you comment if this new set LH90 is better in that respect?

I am really intrigued by this set and was hoping BB would have on display but they didn't.

Any pictures?
post #37 of 4726 Old 05-31-2009, 08:40 AM

Paillouisj,

You may want to consider putting in a service call into BB. However, I would expect that the geeks on the Geek Squat would not be up to speed on the new LH90 -- for that matter any of the new LG’s. These sets have just begun to show up so there is very little experience around issues.

Maybe you could give LG a call directly -- I would expect that they would be very interested in hearing about these kinds of early issues. Input from “Early Adaptors” such as you can provide valuable information. They may even be able to help you with your firmware related questions. Unfortunately, I do not see a firmware upgrade path described in the Owner’s Manual. However, there is a USB port, so there may be an upgrade path open on the service side.

And of course, you may simply have a bad set -- you may need to consider an exchange. I know you picked it up yourself from the BB Warehouse but this may be another course of action to consider.

You were asking about calibration -- one of the intriguing aspects of these LG’s is its extensive ISF calibration adjustments made accessible to us mere mortals.

I found this site that may be useful to use to begin exploring some calibration parameters. Note that this is for a 42LG30:

http://www.tweaktv.com/forum/lcd/lg-...view.html#2709

I found this on the European AVForums site under LG Owners Forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/

Also, could you consider putting together a Pros/Cons list for everyone to see based on your experience to date. It could consist of the standard comments related to color, clarity, black level, shadow detail, 120/240Hz performance, 24P performance, etc., etc.

Thanks and welcome back.
post #38 of 4726 Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM

If you look through this site found on the European AVForums LG Owners Forum you can see that firmware upgrades are indeed performed via the USB port by Service Techs -- very interesting. Note that this is a European based LG TV.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-ow...-3-08-a-3.html

“The installer shoved a USB stick in the TV, which auto-detected it - the TV then displayed the s/w currently loaded, the one on the stick, and asked if an upgrade should proceed? He clicked "Yes/OK" and off it went. Took about 90 seconds, the TV restarted and lo, 3.22”
post #39 of 4726 Old 05-31-2009, 01:03 PM

On one of my many trips to BB over the past few weeks, I had the opportunity to play with both a LG 42LH30 and a 47LH40 -- that was all they had available. During these trips I was very disappointed to see a lot of video noise in the picture on both sets. I managed to reduce the noise after making a few adjustments but I was never able to eliminate it. The 47LH40 sat next to one of the new Samsungs which look much better with respect to this visible noise.

Since I recall loving the picture quality of last year’s 52LG70’s -- I was very suspicious that maybe it was a poor video feed. So, I took another trip to a second nearby BB which also had the same two sets on display. Bothe sets looked much better -- no noise issues. This was a big relief to me. Apparently, the feeds at the first BB are quite noisy and affect the LG’s a lot more than either the Samsung’s or Sony’s.

I also noticed what you may have been seeing with respect to your 240Hz performance (in the case of the LH40 only 120Hz). During a scene where a flock of birds begin to flap their wings in a shallow lake, you can see a momentary breakup in the area of the fast moving wings. I would describe it as fine pixilation. I did not wait around for the same scene to loop back around again so I could play with different TruMotion settings -- but this feature could in fact be a weakness.
post #40 of 4726 Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you..
Southside: That is basically the same issue when watching TV but on games it seems to be that plus the processor for 240hz is just not quite fine tuned or does not the ability to perform right.. When you turn on Energy mode to minimum to try and defeat the back light fluctuation it makes pic too soft and dark

I recently sold my LE ps3 but my friend just purchased one as well he said he will try n stop by soon to hook it up and check out the Blu-Ray 24p w/240hz..Also am having someone w/a 10mp digi camera come by so i can post up some pics for ya..

Besides on what I have commented on so far nothing has changed but my younger brother sometimes comments he see's a green tint to it watching SD channels..I sort of see it but I am thinking this could probably be resolved w/ the ISF pic modes If properly adjusted/calibrated..I wish another member owned one so we could know if this is a defective unit..which I sort of doubt...Also point out anything that is not caught by my eyes.. Contacted BB geek squad and they seem to have no idea about what I am talking about..They dont really seem that professinal of Techs to me any ways..Another story there..Will contact LG monday about resloving issue thru firmware update if possible..

Question: If I hook up an optical out cable from tv to reciever.. Will hdmi going from xbox360 to tv sound good going trhu tv to reciever??..Basically does HDMI audio sound as good as Optical..Will there be any kind of sound loss doing this?
Currently working on a pros and cons list but wanna make sure I can get best possible picture first..
I feel the way it is now is not doing this set 100% justice.
post #41 of 4726 Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Hello To all and Welcome.... I have finally found a LCD TV that is worth the price tag.. This LG lcd beats the Samsungs for sure IMHO (a750 ,b750, b7100,even a lil better then A950 price wise!!!!!) Almost Perfect Black screen uniformity no major light leakage!!!! No visiual drop off...Some blooming not bad though..
Great 240hz so far. Huge selection of pic settings(isf calibration program called Picture wizard is cool..I have had almost all recent 120,240hz sammys and pioneer plasma 5010, vizio's xvt, and by far this LED LG blows them away price wise and has a great pic!!!! Tv looks great and Video games Look AMAZING!!!! Only one minor issue so far is there is not an audio out except for optical which is not a deal breaker at all..Plus side speakers sound pretty well for a tv..[IMG]http://www.******************/data/img/3816/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif[/IMG]

Some specs...
LG 55" Black LED Flat Panel LCD HDTV - 55LH90/ 1080p (1920 x 1080) Full HD Resolution/ 2,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio/ Invisible Speaker System/ Picture Wizard/ XD Engine/ ISFccc Ready/ TruMotion 240Hz/ 2.4ms Response Time/ SRS TruSurround XT/ USB 2.0/ 24p Real Cinema/ Built-In ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM Tuners/ Black Finish/

congrats on the set, how's it treating you?
post #42 of 4726 Old 05-31-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

So far its been great besides the small issues I have been going thru..There is some clouding in middle area of screen of course but nothing like my samsung A750 has..(no flashlighting) To me the bezel is quite attractive inc. stand looks more like a piece of art(swivels too) Oh yeah the remote is quite nice also its buttons are backlight but only when you hit the light.. Does not control anymore devices besides TV..Very simple to use which is a plus.. Slim does not feel clunky.

Note:Bezel is actually quite bigger then most tv's this size so if space is limited this might be a problem for some.
post #43 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Really wish LG would have included a way to delete unused inputs so you dont have to cycle thru all the unused ones. Also a manual would be nice since a cd/rom isnt for everyone. Waiting for LG to mail me a hard copy of the manual. Overall love the set/
post #44 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgary View Post

Really wish LG would have included a way to delete unused inputs so you dont have to cycle thru all the unused ones. Also a manual would be nice since a cd/rom isnt for everyone. Waiting for LG to mail me a hard copy of the manual. Overall love the set/

Can you post some screen shot pictures of HD and SD material for us? I've been looking to stores to find these and they aren't out yet (as of yesterday) and would really be interested in looking at this set.
post #45 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Um think that is incorrect You do not have to scroll thru unused inputs..If input is not being used you can not even select it just like 08'-09' samsungs.. Very simple. I am only speaking on the LH90 series..
Are you assuming or did someone tell you this ltgary??? Never mind your a new owner
post #46 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 AM

I am not assuming anything. I own a 47lg90 and just bought(three days ago) a 55lh90 from BB. It was delivered on 5/29/09 and I have been using it since. If you know how to delete unused inputs please advise. On the 55lh90 I am using 3 of the hdmi inputs(1,2,3) and one composite(AV1) but ALL other inputs are still there(although un- used and un-named) when I hit the input button on the top right of the remote. The component inputs/second composite(AV2)/RGB-PC are still there when I scroll to get to the hdmi 3. I just did it now while typing this reply. I would really like for only the active/used inputs to come up but I find no way to accomplish that. I do have to add however that with only the cd-rom supplied I wont know how to access all the functions completely until LG sends me a hard copy of the manual. I do however have the manual for my 47lg90 which I purchased in Jan 09 and I have the same problem with it---unused inputs come up. Please tell me how to correct if possible. thanks
post #47 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am not assuming anything. I own a 47lg90 and just bought(three days ago) a 55lh90 from BB. It was delivered on 5/29/09 and I have been using it since. If you know how to delete unused inputs please advise. On the 55lh90 I am using 3 of the hdmi inputs(1,2,3) and one composite(AV1) but ALL other inputs are still there(although un- used and un-named) when I hit the input button on the top right of the remote. The component inputs/second composite(AV2)/RGB-PC are still there when I scroll to get to the hdmi 3. I just did it now while typing this reply. I would really like for only the active/used inputs to come up but I find no way to accomplish that. I do have to add however that with only the cd-rom supplied I wont know how to access all the functions completely until LG sends me a hard copy of the manual. I do however have the manual for my 47lg90 which I purchased in Jan 09 and I have the same problem with it---unused inputs come up. Please tell me how to correct if possible. thanks

Huh my set does not do that it only selects inputs that are plugged in.. Sorry, maybe I am miss understanding you.. How is the 240 hz working for ya?? Experience any backlight fluctuations?? Glad to see another owner on here...
post #48 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if any of the new owners of the LH90's would post the pdf file of the user manual, it's not on the LG site. I am torn between the Samsung B750 and the LG's LH90 and would like to be able to compare the two sets. Some pictures of your set up would be nice also

Laters,
Mikef5
post #49 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM

I found a copy of the Owner's Manual on the web but I can not find the site again. I will keep looking. It's already a .pdf file but I'm not sure how to make it available to everyone on the forum.

Welcom Itgary, glad to see another 55LH90 Owner join -- now we can make some good comparisons. So, did you purchase it online with BB or did you get it from a store?
post #50 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM

I love my 47lg90 but really wanted a larger set when I bought it. I figured that with the next model year LG would have a larger model available and the 47 could go to my bedroom, which it did. Been watching the web and knew the LH's would be out around 6/1. I happen to live right behind a major mall. Went to HH Gregg and learned they had them on order but didnt have them in their warehouse as of yet. Salesman wasnt sure exactly when they would get them but knew price would be 2995.00(without any discounts). Since Best Buy was even closer to my house I stopped in. Ours is just a regular Best Buy w/o a Magnolia Home Theater so they dont carry the top models but do have the new Samsung LED. I talked to one of the senior sales advisors and when he saw I was really interested he went to the computer and said he could get one for delivery on 5/29. This was happening on 5/26. I told him I would wait for about a month till the price dropped. With that he dropped the price from 2995 to 2650.00. I said I also wanted free delivery(usually 69.00) and he was ok with that. He also signed me up for a Best Buy membership that will get me back another $50.00(I think good on BB items) with this purchase. With that I gave him my credit card and made the purchase without ever actually seeing the set. Although owning the 47lg90 I knew what to expect. Friday came and the set was delivered as promised. Where Best Buy got them from I'm not sure, probably their regional warehouse. I dont think they will ever stock them in most of their Cleveland, ohio stores because they dont carry the top lines here. Also on my earlier post I know you can lock the inputs selectively and have done so. Unfortunately locking them doesnt take them away. While it changes there appearance(makes them lighter in color) they are still there if you use the scroll buttons to go left or right rather than just pushing the input button repeatedly. I wish they could be taken completely away unless you reactivate them. But considering how great a picture this set has that is a small matter. To the questions on SD quality. I see no difference on HD between my 47 and 55. However on the 55 SD programs arent quite as sharp from TW cable as my 47 probably due to the overall larger size. Also not having a owners manual yet I havent really fiddled that much. There is also a potential huge difference in SD content depending on your source. DVD's look almost as good as Blue-rays on both sets but my source is a OPPO DV-983 which almost everyone agrees is the best upconverting player out there.. My hope is that in the future someone with knowledge can post all the adjustments to get true ISF specs since this set is so user adjustable if you know what you are doing. Using gamma as an example, I can adjust it, but what is that adjustment really supposed to do??? That isnt really explained anywhere well. Since the 47lg90 really hasnt had any professional reviews other than Sound and Vision I'm not holding my breath on this one.

I'm having fun and would recomend this set to all
post #51 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Itgary,
I think we will see some professional reviews since there are a bunchof new LED Local Dimming sets coming out. These types of LCD's are supposed to be the primo of all LCD's so I'm sure there will undoubtedly be some comparisons.

Can you take some live pictures of your set and post them? $2650 is great price for an Local Dimming set. Congrats. How is the viewing angle on this set. LD LED sets are supposed to be worse than CCFL sets and I am wondering if and how LG delt with this issue. I know they have many more zones (240) on this set compared to half that on last years LED set. Thanks
post #52 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 05:08 PM

I can not for the life of me find the original wed site where I got the 55LH90 Owner's Manual pdf file. If you guys PM me with your email address I will send it out to you. Don't expect much it is quite simple. I would have expected that the same content would be you the CD that you got with the set.
post #53 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Question: If I hook up an optical out cable from tv to reciever.. Will hdmi going from xbox360 to tv sound good going trhu tv to reciever??..Basically does HDMI audio sound as good as Optical..Will there be any kind of sound loss doing this?
Currently working on a pros and cons list but wanna make sure I can get best possible picture first..
I feel the way it is now is not doing this set 100% justice.[/quote]

I would expect that the digital audio stream from the TV would be no different going to your Receiver via Optical Cable as it would going directly from your 360 to your Receiver via Optical Cable. The TV and the 360 would talk to each other via HDMI Cable and determine that the only audio formats that would be compatible would be the older legacy formats such as DD and DTS. The newer formats such as DD+ and DTS-HD are not supported by the TV and would therefore not be output from the 360. The 360 would down-converter any new high-level format to older legacy formats. Consequently, the data stream from the 360 to the TV would be identical to what the TV would send out to the Receiver -- no loss in data -- therefore no degradation in sound quality.
post #54 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Itgary,

Thank you for your quick evaluation of your new LH90. Now, could you work with Paillouisj and see if you can duplicate the issue he is having with backlight fluctuations. If you read some of the earlier posts you can see that he is having issues with his 240Hz feature. We are all wondering if this is isolated to his set or a LG manufacturing issue.

Paillouisj, could you please explain to Itgary how you have things setup and what you are observing when you experience this issue.

I am ready to pull the trigger on this baby but I need more data/analysis from owners like the both of you -- I greatly appreciate you going out of your way to conduct these experiments.
post #55 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

ltgary should see this issue if there since I have tried almost every setting besides going in and messing w/ the colors.. ISF mode 2 seems to work the best so far..
It only seems to happen when an all white screen comes up it fluctuates from a light white/blue almost to dirty white.. fast hard to see once in a while but still a distraction... 240hz seems to pause sometimes or jump, almost feels like lag.. When compared to the samsung 52a750 side by side the 120hz a750 seemed alot more smoother and also handled fast moving images better...But also had more blur on 120hz Samsung..

Lg 55lh90 Artifacts/240hz 52A750 Artifacts/120hz
Fallout 3 (Bad,unplayable) Fallout 3 (Good/smooth)
GRID (Good/some jumping) GRID (Great/smooth)
GTA4 (Good/More jumping) GTA4 (Great/smooth)
COD4 (Great/Slight jumping) COD4 (great/very smooth)
UFC (Great/smooth) UFC (Great/smooth)
Forza 2(Great/smooth) Forza 2 (Great/smooth
Gears 2 (Great/smooth) Gears 2 (Great/smooth)
Graw 2 (Medium/some jumping)Graw 2 (Good/smooth)
RE4 (Great/smooth) RE4 (Great/smooth)

Glad I have three xbox's and a BLockbuster account
All of these games were tested in standard pic mode on both sets w/ 120hz low and 240hz low+ local dimming..
Both xbox's were set to intermediate refrence levels and tv HDMI black level to Normal/High same thing different models.

Note: No matter if its watching TV or playing games.. Back light fluctuation and 240 hz issue still there
post #56 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Unfortunately unable to take or post any pics. Dont even have a home computer only a web browser(MSNTV2). Also in my experience really wouldnt do any good. My sources(TW cable)and signal strength might be totally different than yours. I bought the 47lg90 ONLY after seeing it live in Jensen Beach Fl in a Magnolia theater in BB. There, thank god, they had it set up alongside of a Sony XBR 8 and Samsung LED(950?) I was able to compare all three directly against each other with several sources and the LG was much much better than the other two with crappy SD signals which was suprising because if I remember right the Sony was almost 2000 more. That live direct comparison is the only way to go(and maybe still unfair because the LG was 47" and the other two 52") and even then will be dependent on each sets calibrations. Questions like viewing angles cant really be answered by me. I sit directly in front of the set and my better half is maybe five feet to my right(how many degrees is that?????damned if I know)and it is fine for us. Maybe it will not work for you. I dont do any gaming at all and have never seen motion blurring while watching sports or dvd's. One of the selling points of leds is their super fast off/on time. I think the response time on this set is listed as 2.4ms and that is as fast as I have ever seen. I dont think 120hz and now 240hz is nearly as important with leds compared with tube lit lcd's . Alot of specs are just hype like the 2,000.000 contrast ratio????????How does the set actually look is what counts not its specs. This one looks great to me and with BB less than 1/4 mile away and me being retired I sit and look at alot of them in the store. I know the leds will last forever/use little juice/are cool running and are current cutting edge but next year there will be something better. I think the set up Wizard on this set is cool-wish the 47 would have had it. This set dropped a s-video input, bad. this set has only a optial audio output, no coax, again bad. While the screen is matte the frame is gloss black and reflects like a mirror. Stand is gloss black and reflects and I might spray paint it flat black to cut down on reflections. No product is perfect but with its picture/features and price I love this set and feel it is the one to beat.
post #57 of 4726 Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I really did like the pic and price of the lg90 HD sorce only seen.. Too bad the only one available from BB was a display Same reason I took a gamble w/ the lh90 is how much I liked the lg90. Viewing angle seems good to me especially being LED..
ltgary wouldnt mind askin grandkids/kids to come hook up a 360/ps3 and test the 240hz for us gamers would ya?? Really want to know if this set I have is so called defective in a sense..Unsertand ya on the input selection now ltgary
post #58 of 4726 Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Itgary: When I purchased my 55lh90 BB told me they could not come off price any since its not even in the store inventory. But they knocked off $700 off my ln52b750 when it 1st came out(they actually sort of owed me a discount since selling me a dead tv when they knew it was Dead..But not a penny off of 55lh90-wth?? Did you purchase yours from BB in cleveland area??

LG says they have not had anyone report Issues like I have been experiencing and no updates availabe as of today..(probably since only a couple of early adopters own this)Wanted to send out a tech told them no thanks Been this route before and it sucks IMHO...They usually end up openning the TV and therefore I Feel it just became refurbished when done so..Not to mention taking off work and Hearing one thing from TV manufacturer and another from Tech service co. Some of you know what I am talking about unfortunately
post #59 of 4726 Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 PM

I've been to every store I can think of here in the SF bay area, and know one has one in stock or knows when they will get one, like you said they haven't had any problems yet because no one has one?
post #60 of 4726 Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 PM

did lg have a led lh90 last yr cause the best buy i was at today in the magnolia room have one on display with clearance price already said it was 3000.00 and now 47lg90 2000.00 in a room with the samsung a950 and sony led and th lg looked the best by a bit,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page