Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use a Comcast Motorola DCH316 DVR. My other TV's work fine with the DVR only the LG has lip sync issues. On another web site I read that a person upgraded to the Comcast's newest Motorola DVR and had the same problems with lip sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Is anyone connecting from a Dish Network HD DVR via HDMI? Any issue with lip sync?
post #723 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 AM

I have the 55LH90 on order. However, LG sent my dealer an email stating that LG has frozen any shipments until they get the lip-sync issues resolved. Their guess is to resume shipping about Sept 15.
post #724 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsonn View Post

I just called LG on 8/20/09. I was told that there is no update for the HDMI lip sync problem. I was told they are working on it and I would be sent a firmware update if they come up with a solution.

I'm sure it is a LG problem because my old LCD 1080i worked fine using the HDMI input. I also tried the $300 VIZIO I use in the bedroom and it worked fine with my DVR's HDMI output.

Interesting, they told me a firmware update would be sent in 7 to 10 days. (That could be business days), so hence maybe two weeks. Did LG feed me a line??
post #725 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinkel View Post

I have the 55LH90 on order. However, LG sent my dealer an email stating that LG has frozen any shipments until they get the lip-sync issues resolved. Their guess is to resume shipping about Sept 15.

Odd... newegg shipped my order today.
Or, you mean LG isnt shipping any new units to the retailers?

Honestly, if I have lip-sync issues I'm probably going to return the TV (assuming no viable fix). Anyone have lip-sync issue if coming from a gaming console or BD?

I kan haz TeeVee?
post #726 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghambit View Post

Honestly, if I have lip-sync issues I'm probably going to return the TV (assuming no viable fix). Anyone have lip-sync issue if coming from a gaming console or BD?

Read their return policy?

15% restocking fee + shipping costs.
post #727 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM

for those of you who had the lip synch issue and have switched to component cables to preclude it, have you noticed in decrease in video resolution/performance using component cables?

Thanks
JW
post #728 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwholm View Post

for those of you who had the lip synch issue and have switched to component cables to preclude it, have you noticed in decrease in video resolution/performance using component cables?

Thanks
JW

The video resolution isnt the issue. Components are fine for this. It's the audio that's the problem. You're stuck with RCAs if you want to have sound come from the TV (since there's no optical-in). Since the LG has a specially designed internal surround sound system, it's kind of wacked that you're forced to use 2-channel connectors.

It'd be interesting to see if there's any real audio quality difference though. Maybe someone can test it and see.

I kan haz TeeVee?
post #729 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This issue is cable box only. I don't have a blu ray player yet, but I've watched a couple of dvd movies with an upconverting dvd player and there are no problems with that. You should be fine for BD and gaming through hdmi.

Just tried my upconverting dvd player again, no lip sync problems what so ever, stunning picture.
post #730 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwholm View Post

Thanks
JW

Video resolution is not a problem. The cable box is limited to 1080i anyway so component video is just fine.

I believe from what I've read here is that this isn't a problem if using a receiver for audio, but no one can definitely confirm that. I have yet to hook up my denon and try it out. I'm waiting to buy new floor standing speakers to do it.
post #731 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The video resolution isnt the issue. Components are fine for this. It's the audio that's the problem. You're stuck with RCAs if you want to have sound come from the TV (since there's no optical-in). Since the LG has a specially designed internal surround sound system, it's kind of wacked that you're forced to use 2-channel connectors.

It'd be interesting to see if there's any real audio quality difference though. Maybe someone can test it and see.

I think given the limitations of flat panel sound, 2 channel vs simulated surround sound isn't a real factor.

I'm happy with the TV, given hdmi works with other inputs just not the cable box. The picture is stunning.
post #732 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM

I am also happy with ours so far, but would still like to see a few things addressed with the new firmware. While I don't use any of the listed equipment that is reported to have a problem, we are moving shortly and may end up using one. I would like to know that we will be good to go (w/o having to buy more cables to make it work).
post #733 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Video resolution is not a problem. The cable box is limited to 1080i anyway so component video is just fine.

I believe from what I've read here is that this isn't a problem if using a receiver for audio, but no one can definitely confirm that. I have yet to hook up my denon and try it out. I'm waiting to buy new floor standing speakers to do it.

There's no problem when I use an audio receiver. Just the TVs internal speakers.
post #734 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM

On page 24(last post) I stated there were no lip sync problems when using a receiver.
post #735 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just hooked up the LG and I'm watching Parks and Rec on NBC HD. HDMI to a Motorola HD DVR, service is Fios. Just using the TV's speakers right now.

No lip syncing issues that I have noticed so far. I will continue to pay attention. I watched an episode of Seinfeld on Fox earlier and didn't notice anything either.

Office is on next. Shall keep watching.

Update: After 2.5 hours of watching NBC HD, I haven't seen/heard any signs of lip sync problems.

On an unrelated note--this is really a great TV, undoubtedly the best LCD I've seen or played with yet. It's not quite up to par with the Kuro that I have (nothing is, really) but I would take this in a heartbeat over any LED/LCD out there. I love the black levels, and I haven't even had a chance to play with the settings. I've watched everything in THX so far.
post #736 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:

I'll tell you I have sold more than a few of these and only have one complaint on this issue. We got no word of this from LG. however there are very few 55LH90 around.
post #737 of 4729 Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 PM

The only reason my dealer got the email is that I had my dealer press LG for an ETA on my order--which was due over a week ago. So the LG regional sales rep dug into the situation and then sent my dealer that update. He also indicated in his reply that if the customer (me) gave up waiting and bought from Best Buy or some other store that has them in stock, the customer would be getting one of the defective units. This was meant to be a selling point for my dealer to use to keep me from jumping ship. (Although, in my configuration, I would never see the lip-sync issue.)
post #738 of 4729 Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only reason my dealer got the email is that I had my dealer press LG for an ETA on my order--which was due over a week ago. So the LG regional sales rep dug into the situation and then sent my dealer that update. He also indicated in his reply that if the customer (me) gave up waiting and bought from Best Buy or some other store that has them in stock, the customer would be getting one of the defective units. This was meant to be a selling point for my dealer to use to keep me from jumping ship. (Although, in my configuration, I would never see the lip-sync issue.)

The not shipping makes sense. HHgreg is out and said they had a bunch on order (200). They have not recieved any. I wouldn't really call it defective, just in need of a fw update.
post #739 of 4729 Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 AM

"defective" was my word--not theirs. I think they said "would still have the problem" or words like that.

Got an update this morning when I talked to LG directly. Was told they will be shipping to dealers, again, by the end of August. Issue also seems to be limited to HDMI direct from cable boxes--not from satellite DVRs. So in my situation it would not be a problem, anyway.
post #740 of 4729 Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Off topic for the lip sync issue, but I had an audio question. I haven't dug through the manual yet, but didn't recall reading about it in this thread yet (but I may have missed it one of the times that I didn't keep up and bunch of pages of posts rolled).

We have everything being connected through our Denon. When the Denon is off everything is passed through, when it is on the audio is trapped and played through the receiver. So far so good.

When leaving the reciever off and passing through the signal while playing content w/ DTS audio we only get sounds effects and music, all voice audio gets dropped completely. It is rather surreal, actually. Has anyone else come across this ? I can set our players to decode versus bistream out, but then would need to change it back (and forth) everytime we want to use the surround or not. And that audio menu is somewhat buried on our players, so it isn't like a single button clik on the remote to change it back and forth . Does LG just not have a DTS decode license ? Are there plans to acquire one and include it into the FW ?

Thanks
post #741 of 4729 Old 08-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McKean View Post

The easiest way to tell is to hook up an audio receiver to the source and turn on the TV and audio receiver at the same time and see if you hear an echo.

I assume that you are responding to the lip-sync issue. If so, then I think that this would not be an appropriate test. As I understand it, the video take longer to generate than the sound. To compensate for this, televisions delay the sound so that it will match the video. I think all these LCD televisions would echo if the sound was not delayed properly.

With this LG TV, it seems that the sound is over-delayed so that it gets there after the picture. I do not understand why those with receivers are not having the issue. If the sound is from the BR player, it seems that the sound would get there too fast and precede the picture. If the sound had been processed by the LG TV (from the BR player) and outputted through an LG output, it should show the same extended delay, and follow the picture. Of course, if the sound is delayed, there is no corrective factor in the receiver that can fix this to my knowledge. The receiver can add additional delay, but not remove it to my knowledge.

By the way, I did have a lip-sync issue with an up converted DVD from the Panasonic BD60. The up-conversion was done by the BR player. I'm also having some lip-sync problems with the cable component inputs on occasion, though much less frequent than using HDMI.
post #742 of 4729 Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Bearmann,

This lip sync issue is worse than the couple of millisecond difference you typically get with an audio receiver. That's barely noticible at all. I've getting a delay of around an entire second and it's quite noticable.
post #743 of 4729 Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Dave,

Although the delay I am getting is not a full second, I do agree with you that it is quite significant at times. Even on the same program it can vary quite a bit between non-existent to very noticeable.

Barry
post #744 of 4729 Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 AM

If you read my prior posts I think you can see why I dont have lip sync when using my receiver and this may hold true for many of us. I do not use hdmi to my receiver. I use the optical audio digital outputs as I have a older receiver w/o hdmi inputs. I believe that the lip sync issues come up with the hdmi cables audio sections because I have them when using the hdmi's directly to the 55lh90 and using the sets internal speakers.
On another note: Noticed when reading the flyers that came with todays(sundays) Cleveland Plain Dealer that HH Gregg now has the Sharp Aquos LED for 1999.97 in 52". Thats on sale from 2499.97. It also comes in 40 and 46. I will have to go and check it out and see if I can talk them into displaying it alongside the 55lh90 for comparison. Best Buyers flyer today had both the 55lh90 and 47lh90 featured. The 55 was 2399.99(sku9318696) and the 47 at 1699.99(sku9318623). Both on sale and both includes delivery, hook-up & recycling. Since this is a national ad maybe most of the BB's will now have these sets. Wasnt too long ago that we had posts talking about how BB had dropped them from their inventory. Oh, well................
post #745 of 4729 Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what size screws the 55LH90 takes for wall mounting?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #746 of 4729 Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Well, I ended up taking back my 47LH90 today. It was a great TV, but the semi-matte screen produced more noticeable glare than the plasma that it replaced. Which sort of defeats the purpose of having it.

I never had any complaints with it other than that. Good black levels, excellent tweakability.

Never had any lip sync issues using HDMI to the HD DVR box and internal speakers.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in the LH90, now is an excellent time to purchase it at a certain Blue and Yellow B&M.
post #747 of 4729 Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi, been on here time to time and thought I would ask some questions. I recently bought a 47LH90 and I really like it! I have noticed the lip-sync issue with just my Xbox 360 playing video via HDMI directly to the TV, but haven't noticed it since that one time.

Basically I don't know the answers, so I ask the following questions:

1.) Is it known officially how many LEDs are in the 47LH90 and how many zones there are?

2.) Does the TV have 2 or 4 speakers, I see 2 on the bottom, but the specifications page is a bit confusing on this?

So those are my 2 questions for now. Next thing is I recently payed a visit to Costco to pick up the new Vizio High Definition Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer to compliment my TV. I have both my Xbox 360 and LG BD390 Blu-Ray Player connected to the TV directly via HDMI. I bought an optical cable to connect the Soundbar instead of the included RCA analog cords. My question is, would it be better to connect the Soundbar directly to the TV so TV stations, Xbox 360, and the BD390 all can share the Soundbar, OR, should I connect the Soundbar to the Blu-Ray Player only? I want the best experience.

I got this Vizio Soundbar + Subwoofer because Home Theater Magazine recommended it for its great technology and audio surround sound simulation experience. I had the Sony Soundbar + Subwoofer before and it was nice but not "surround sound like" enough. It only had 3 speakers in the Soundbar and 1 sub, whereas the Vizio Soundbar has 6 speakers, 2 of which are tweeters and 1 sub.

What is my BEST connection, directly to the TV so all sources can share the Soundbar OR only the BD390 Blu-Ray Player?

Thank You!!!
post #748 of 4729 Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Less than 12 hours till AIT shows up at my door! gawd, it's like xmas.
PS3 primed, U-verse HD ready to go. Watchmen and Uncharted on tap.

I'll report later monday night on impressions. I'll try to use the CNET settings and see how it goes with Watchmen, and Pic. Wizard for daytime cable viewing for now. The U-verse only outputs 1080i anyways so components will be fine for that (so no chance of lag).

This is kind of a dumb question: since there's an OPT output, is anyone running HDMIs into the TV and using the OPT out into a receiver (that has only 1 OPT input)? My receiver only has 1 optical input so I was trying to come up with a way to humpback using the TV. I've always been told never to use the TV for throughput. If it'll negotiate 5/7.1 though obviously it'd benefit me to do-so yes?
edit: I guess this question is a lot like the above poster's
(will the LH90 pass-thru 5.1 from its HDMI to the OPT out?)

I kan haz TeeVee?
post #749 of 4729 Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Anyone know???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCandy View Post

Hi, been on here time to time and thought I would ask some questions. I recently bought a 47LH90 and I really like it! I have noticed the lip-sync issue with just my Xbox 360 playing video via HDMI directly to the TV, but haven't noticed it since that one time.

Basically I don't know the answers, so I ask the following questions:

1.) Is it known officially how many LEDs are in the 47LH90 and how many zones there are?

2.) Does the TV have 2 or 4 speakers, I see 2 on the bottom, but the specifications page is a bit confusing on this?

So those are my 2 questions for now. Next thing is I recently payed a visit to Costco to pick up the new Vizio High Definition Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer to compliment my TV. I have both my Xbox 360 and LG BD390 Blu-Ray Player connected to the TV directly via HDMI. I bought an optical cable to connect the Soundbar instead of the included RCA analog cords. My question is, would it be better to connect the Soundbar directly to the TV so TV stations, Xbox 360, and the BD390 all can share the Soundbar, OR, should I connect the Soundbar to the Blu-Ray Player only? I want the best experience.

I got this Vizio Soundbar + Subwoofer because Home Theater Magazine recommended it for its great technology and audio surround sound simulation experience. I had the Sony Soundbar + Subwoofer before and it was nice but not "surround sound like" enough. It only had 3 speakers in the Soundbar and 1 sub, whereas the Vizio Soundbar has 6 speakers, 2 of which are tweeters and 1 sub.

What is my BEST connection, directly to the TV so all sources can share the Soundbar OR only the BD390 Blu-Ray Player?

Thank You!!!

post #750 of 4729 Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM

The answer to the LED question is found earlier in the thread. Run a search, you'll find it.

In other news:
just got my LH90 today. Testing it currently. I'm pretty impressed with the SD quality with U-verse. I can say it's actually BETTER than my ol' standard def. CRT.
Overall impressions are much the same as I had in the store. Very balanced, soft image with uber-calibration potential. It doesnt pop like the shiny sammys but it handles glare like a champ. It's got enough AMP and contrast to give the necessary "3D" effect, but the depth obviously isnt as good as the shiny-screened counterparts... even though the grey/black levels are much much better than most other LCDs out there. Beautiful TV btw, very well engineered screen, bezel, and stand with a very intuitive and customizable UI and simple large-buttoned remote.

One interesting thing I've noticed with LG is their packaging is much more robust than other TVs. The boxes are HUGE. They "float" the TV in the box as well as pre-install the TV stand which are both nice touches. The audio system is very nice on this set, especially with the True voice and volume control. The highs are very clear and with some volume you get plenty of impact (it's a pretty loud TV).

I did the picture wizard, but I can tell it needs some more tweaking... along with a decision on how I'm gonna approach 240hz, motion control, and real cinema. I prefer the video-look, so I'll probably crank everything up. Audio-wise I'm thinking of using the TV as the center channel to take advantage of the voice/volume control and the full-screen speaker.

More later (if I can get my gf away from the TV)....

I kan haz TeeVee?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page