Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I paid 2499(plus tax) for my 47lg90 which was last years(08) LED set. In 2008 47" was the largest they made. $2000.00 appears to be a great price for the set. The sets are very similar but the new LH's do have a few additional features like set-up Wizard, 240hz instead of 120hz(I cant see a difference) controlable energy savings, and an expanded settings menu for video adjustments. I bought the new 55lh90 mainly because I wanted a 55" set for the LR and had a place for the 47" in my bedroom. The 55 does lack the s-video input that the 47 had and the 55 also dropped the coax digital output leaving only a toslink optical digital output for audio.
My 55lh90 came from the Best Buy in North Olmsted, Ohio(a suburb of Cleveland) and all I had to do to get the discounted price of $2650.00 was to suggest to the salesperson that I would wait until the price dropped. With that comment, poof, the price dropped immediately and free shipping was thrown in. The points I got with club membership really didnt count(although they will be a 50.00 savings on something) because once you are enrolled in the Reward Zone program you get points for all purchases. It was just nice to get 2,650 points at one time with one purchase. Each 250 points gets you $5.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgary View Post

I paid 2499(plus tax) for my 47lg90 which was last years(08) LED set. In 2008 47" was the largest they made. $2000.00 appears to be a great price for the set. The sets are very similar but the new LH's do have a few additional features like set-up Wizard, 240hz instead of 120hz(I cant see a difference) controlable energy savings, and an expanded settings menu for video adjustments. I bought the new 55lh90 mainly because I wanted a 55" set for the LR and had a place for the 47" in my bedroom. The 55 does lack the s-video input that the 47 had and the 55 also dropped the coax digital output leaving only a toslink optical digital output for audio.
My 55lh90 came from the Best Buy in North Olmsted, Ohio(a suburb of Cleveland) and all I had to do to get the discounted price of $2650.00 was to suggest to the salesperson that I would wait until the price dropped. With that comment, poof, the price dropped immediately and free shipping was thrown in. The points I got with club membership really didnt count(although they will be a 50.00 savings on something) because once you are enrolled in the Reward Zone program you get points for all purchases. It was just nice to get 2,650 points at one time with one purchase. Each 250 points gets you $5.00.

That's a real nice price, how are you liking the LG, now that you've had for a few days? I found it at a brick and mortar store for $2400 plus tax (they don't have it in stock yet), I'm waiting to compare it against the Toshiba and Samsung 7000, both of those have a Glossy screen and look very good, but I really would like one without the glass front!
post #63 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM

Seems like the two that have one here are aren't too impressed and seem a little iffy about how good they really are. I mean you hear the 950 and XBR8 owners speak like they are the end all of LCD TV's but it's not the same. I don't know if that is how you guys really feel but reading "between the lines" you guys don't seem all that impressed.

I've seen last years LG90 LED set and while the colors and sharpness were good, the black levels were terrible and it washed out very quickly at angles compared to others.

I was looking forward to this TV since it's Local Dimming and they've up'ed the ante with 240 zones, 3,000 LEDs and S-IPS panel, but it hasn't seemed to get many peoples interest. I really have to see some pictures and see it live in person I'm sure. I would also like to see some professional reviews before I reconsider this TV.
post #64 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM

To Flyers: If you are talking about me I dont know what I might have written that gave you the impression I didnt like the set?????? Money was not a object with me and if I had SEEN a set that I thought had a better picture I would have bought it. I would recomend this set to anyone. As far as reviews, wait all you want for reviews but they are still just the writers opinion. I used MY eyes and bought this set and I really dont care what somebody may write. I have pointed out a few things I dont like and some differences between this years model and last years but overall for my purposes I love this set. Will there be improvements over the years--sure but I have spent my money and have the set now to enjoy. I'll be happy to answer questions about the sets features but remember everything is just MY OPINION of how I feel about the set in my living room with my inputs and viewing. I use a monster hts 5100 mkii to filter the a/c and I put a heavy duty 14g power cord on both sets. Maybe that made a difference--who knows for sure? The signal I get from my attic antenna and Time Warner cable may be totally different than what a store has or anyone reading this. There are many many variables that will affect the quality of the picture displayed. All I know is I'm happy with the set.
post #65 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

To Flyers: If you are talking about me I dont know what I might have written that gave you the impression I didnt like the set?????? Money was not a object with me and if I had SEEN a set that I thought had a better picture I would have bought it. I would recomend this set to anyone. As far as reviews, wait all you want for reviews but they are still just the writers opinion. I used MY eyes and bought this set and I really dont care what somebody may write. I have pointed out a few things I dont like and some differences between this years model and last years but overall for my purposes I love this set. Will there be improvements over the years--sure but I have spent my money and have the set now to enjoy. I'll be happy to answer questions about the sets features but remember everything is just MY OPINION of how I feel about the set in my living room with my inputs and viewing. I use a monster hts 5100 mkii to filter the a/c and I put a heavy duty 14g power cord on both sets. Maybe that made a difference--who knows for sure? The signal I get from my attic antenna and Time Warner cable may be totally different than what a store has or anyone reading this. There are many many variables that will affect the quality of the picture displayed. All I know is I'm happy with the set.

Thanks for your opinion, that's all that really matters to you, myself I really like the looks of the Samsungs 7000 and 8000 but there are lots of people because the edge leds don't like it, but to me I love the look of the picture and how it pops, but the glossy screen is a big question mark because of my room layout, thank you for the info and enjoy your new set!!!!
post #66 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:

itgary,
My comments weren't directly geared towards you but yes overall it seems other than you and Paullouisj who are the only ones to have this set, you both seem to really like it but not love it. If that impression is incorrect then I'm glad you love the TV.

Each TV's PQ is not only determined by the panel, the technology and processing but also the video source, that I am with you and understand. I am waiting for a review that shows some HD/BR and SD pictures and description on how it handles those sources and what the black levels, real contrast and color gamut really looks like compared to the Sammy sets and other Local Dimming TV's.

I really like the specs of this TV but until I'm convinces I don't think LG's processing is up to what Samsung and Sony can deliver. I hope I am proven wrong, belive me, I don't like having only two sources for LD LED sets. Competition is always good but if they can not match or best Samsung and Sony then it's not really competition is it.
post #67 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I have seen better Pictures/processors on other tv's of course but the Great screen uniformity +Blacks are what have me liking this one...Do I think the processor is weak in this model so far..Some what, Yes! (note: I can see the backlight scanning..Ex..Chain fences on Forza2 tracks flash rapidly.. Not to mention other issues stated earlier) The reason I say its the BL scanning 240hz is the A950 did not show this issue w/120hz+LD..
I have had alot of HDTV sets and what I am stating is, issues I am having might be an isolated issue or not be bothersome to you. Which I am hoping so but you never know..
Wanted to ad every time someone I know buys a LCD/PLASMA/DLP they want me to come give them my input and look for issues/defects..If I didnt allready travel to store w/ them 1st.. But by all means these are my honest opinion's and by no means am I a certified TV/display tech.. Just a somewaht well educated HDTV consumer

No, I dont "Love" this model wish it wasnt the case but your right flyers on my behalf This is actually starting to feel like its not the one for me.
post #68 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
post #69 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

We Just got our first batch of 55HL90 and 47HL90 in. These are priced very nicely. Can't wait to get one out of the box

Awesome Cleveland now Do you think you can have a Tech come over and cali. this set and maybe do a Shoot Off...
w/ its closet competition thats available to you
post #70 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
^^^ I think I will

I think this set has it all for a smokin price. <<< Click Here >>>

Today LG introduced a three-model lineup of LED-backlit LCD TVs with local dimming to stand near the top of the company's HDTV lineup.

LED backlit LCDs offer superior picture quality in most ways compared to standard LCD models, due mainly to their ability to dim parts of the picture selectively--a technology known as "local dimming"--and thus improve black-level performance. Compared to last year's sets with 120 dimmable zones, the new models have 240, which should cut down on the blooming we've seen on other LED models.

We never got the chance to review the 47LG90, LG's sole LED model from last year, so we're anxious to see how the new models compare to the Samsungs and Sonys of the LED multiverse. LG points out that its competitors use "edge-lit" LED tech for their slim models, which lacks local dimming, whereas LG's LED sets have a full LED backlight array with local dimming.

The LH90 series also includes a 240Hz refresh rate, a feature that sounds twice as impressive as 120Hz but won't provide anywhere near the same level of picture improvement as LED--if our review of the 240Hz Sony KDL-52XBR7 is any indication. Unlike the MEMC technology used by Sony and Samsung, LG employs "scanning backlight" technology to achieve its 240Hz processing. The MEMC system inserts three interpolated frames for every true frame in a 60Hz source, while the scanning backlight system switches the backlight on and off very rapidly. We doubt the difference will be visible to most viewers, but we'll reserve judgment until we have a chance to compare both systems in the lab.

Like most LG HDTVs these models offer extensive picture controls, including the same 10-point IRE system and full color management controls we liked on the company's 2008 models. A new "picture wizard" is available as well, which employs a series of onscreen test patterns to ease user calibration. LG points out the power saving capabilities of LED technology, and the LH90 series also offers a "smart" room lighting sensor that also helps improve efficiency and automatically adjust the picture.

Unlike the flagship 55LHX model, these step-down LED sets in LG's lineup won't have a cabinet depth of less than an inch.

Pricing, as usual, was not disclosed, but LED backlightng still commands a heflt premium in most cases. The LH90 series will be available in May.
post #71 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ I think I will

I think this set has it all for a smokin price. <<< Click Here >>>

Today LG introduced a three-model lineup of LED-backlit LCD TVs with local dimming to stand near the top of the company's HDTV lineup.

LED backlit LCDs offer superior picture quality in most ways compared to standard LCD models, due mainly to their ability to dim parts of the picture selectively--a technology known as "local dimming"--and thus improve black-level performance. Compared to last year's sets with 120 dimmable zones, the new models have 240, which should cut down on the blooming we've seen on other LED models.

We never got the chance to review the 47LG90, LG's sole LED model from last year, so we're anxious to see how the new models compare to the Samsungs and Sonys of the LED multiverse. LG points out that its competitors use "edge-lit" LED tech for their slim models, which lacks local dimming, whereas LG's LED sets have a full LED backlight array with local dimming.

The LH90 series also includes a 240Hz refresh rate, a feature that sounds twice as impressive as 120Hz but won't provide anywhere near the same level of picture improvement as LED--if our review of the 240Hz Sony KDL-52XBR7 is any indication. Unlike the MEMC technology used by Sony and Samsung, LG employs "scanning backlight" technology to achieve its 240Hz processing. The MEMC system inserts three interpolated frames for every true frame in a 60Hz source, while the scanning backlight system switches the backlight on and off very rapidly. We doubt the difference will be visible to most viewers, but we'll reserve judgment until we have a chance to compare both systems in the lab.

Like most LG HDTVs these models offer extensive picture controls, including the same 10-point IRE system and full color management controls we liked on the company's 2008 models. A new "picture wizard" is available as well, which employs a series of onscreen test patterns to ease user calibration. LG points out the power saving capabilities of LED technology, and the LH90 series also offers a "smart" room lighting sensor that also helps improve efficiency and automatically adjust the picture.

Unlike the flagship 55LHX model, these step-down LED sets in LG's lineup won't have a cabinet depth of less than an inch.

Pricing, as usual, was not disclosed, but LED backlightng still commands a heflt premium in most cases. The LH90 series will be available in May.

Aside from the Toshiba and Vizio, this set has all the makings of a Sammy 950 and XBR8 beater, but based on the two that have them it seems LG came up a little short and that is too bad. I hope this isn't really the case but until we get a professionals opinion on a calibrated set I just can't take the plunge even if it's a great price for a Local Dimming TV.

I'm sure we would all love to have you do a shoot out or have it calibrated and get his thoughts.
post #72 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM

To: Chris Majoros
Cleveland Plazma What a hoot. Nice talking to you on the phone. If you ever do venture 12 miles to your west and end up in North Olmsted stop in and I'll show you pictures of my grandfather to see if you recognize anyone---maybe we are distant relatives??? And if you ever get the ISF calibration figures for this set give me a call so I can tune mine in and advise all what this set can do if properly calibrated. Even without official calibration I think it is still a winner by far.

ltgary
gary majoros
440-779-5110
post #73 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

Awesome Cleveland now Do you think you can have a Tech come over and cali. this set and maybe do a Shoot Off...
w/ its closet competition thats available to you

Very interested to see what you think of the set once it's properly set up.
post #74 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 PM

I see the claim that there are 240 dimming zones. Is this borne out anywhere in "official" LG documentation/announcements? One reason I wonder is because of articles like this:

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/04/2...-240hz-led-tv/

Which claims it has only 90 zones.
post #75 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 PM

There is 240, I've seen it in LG literature somewhere and if you search on you tube the LG rep states "240 zones and almost 3,000 LED's"
post #76 of 4726 Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 PM

post #77 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

Here is one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNopccvJC2o

That TV they where showing isn't out yet, its there top of the line, I wonder if its the same panel has the LH90?

Here's some info from another site.

LED LG's 55LH90 is South Korea's first 240Hz LED TV. Well, its smaller siblings 47LH90 and 42LH90 will be too. The 55" LCD TV using a LED backlight has 960 LEDs lighting it up. It's got local dimming too: 90 LED zones are controlled to generate a contrast ratio of more than 2,000,000:1!
post #78 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post

That TV they where showing isn't out yet, its there top of the line, I wonder if its the same panel has the LH90?

Here's some info from another site.

LED LG's 55LH90 is South Korea's first 240Hz LED TV. Well, its smaller siblings 47LH90 and 42LH90 will be too. The 55" LCD TV using a LED backlight has 960 LEDs lighting it up. It's got local dimming too: 90 LED zones are controlled to generate a contrast ratio of more than 2,000,000:1!

The LHX and LH90 use the same panel. The LHX is thinner because it has a separate box for all the inputs and connects wirelessly to the TV.

The other information is incorrect. The LH90 and LHX have 240 clusters of LEDs, almost 3,000 of them. Last years LG Local dimming model the LG90 has only 128 zones or clusters. Did you even watch the video?
post #79 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Yes I did thanks!
post #80 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM

This is from their website.

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video...tv-55LH90.jsp#

"240 levels of brightness"

There is another video from CES on you tube I watched and the LG rep said 240 and almost 3k LED's but I can not find it for the life of me.
post #81 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM

I can't understand why anyone wants to buy a TV from Best Buy. I know that sometimes they can have some good prices, but the pros stop there. I compete with a local Best Buy and we match their prices all the time. I still think an independant dealer is the best way to go. Search for a Brand Source dealer in your area.
post #82 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky T. Hawkeye View Post

I can't understand why anyone wants to buy a TV from Best Buy. I know that sometimes they can have some good prices, but the pros stop there. I compete with a local Best Buy and we match their prices all the time. I still think an independant dealer is the best way to go. Search for a Brand Source dealer in your area.

Well I understand why as should you, they are big, easy to find, big variety of TV's, many brands and sizes and are national. Since they deal in volume most big box stores can cut the prices lower, although it doesn't seem that way most of the time, but that is why they are as big as they are.

Now that I said that, I would rather support "the little guy" especially if they meet or beat a big box stores prices. We fneed to keep small business in business, that is what the foundation that our country was built upon and I fully support them, just make sure you give me good service, good prices (don't need to be the best necessarily, I will pay for service and trust) and be available with support.
post #83 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

This years model LH90 led has only 960 leds and 90 zones...

LED LG's 55LH90 is South Korea's first 240Hz LED TV. Well, its smaller siblings 47LH90 and 42LH90 will be too. ---->>>The 55" LCD TV using a LED backlight has 960 LEDs lighting it up. It's got local dimming too: 90 LED zones are controlled to generate a contrast ratio of more than 2,000,000:1!

240Hz The 240Hz completely eliminates motion blur. If you're a sports fan, this is a must have. Most advanced LCD TVs employ 120Hz.

THX This is the first LCD TV to receive THX certification in South Korea. You and I probably already know that sound coming out of a LCD TV is not the greatest. Just a little while ago I did blog about Mitsubishi's Unisen 259 Diamond Series that make use of a soundbar with 16 speakers, which should sound pretty sweet. The THX certification will certainly make the LH90 series LCD TVs sound very good.

KRW 6,400,000 The 55LH90 will cost about US$4764 (based on today's currency rate of KRW1343.4 per US$). Quite expensive! The smaller 47LH90 is KRW4,200,00 (US$3,126) and the 42LH90 is KRW3,300,000 (US$2,456). These LCD TVs are certainly not cheap but 240Hz, a LED backlight, local dimming that generates a contrast ratio of more than 2 million to one, and THX certification should be an interesting package to some of you.

Source: LG Electronics (Korean)

Source:
post #84 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:

This years model LH90 led had only 960 leds and 90 zones...

240Hz The 240Hz completely eliminates motion blur. If you're a sports fan, this is a must have. Most advanced LCD TVs employ 120Hz.

THX This is the first LCD TV to receive THX certification in South Korea. You and I probably already know that sound coming out of a LCD TV is not the greatest. Just a little while ago I did blog about Mitsubishi's Unisen 259 Diamond Series that make use of a soundbar with 16 speakers, which should sound pretty sweet. The THX certification will certainly make the LH90 series LCD TVs sound very good.

KRW 6,400,000 The 55LH90 will cost about US$4764 (based on today's currency rate of KRW1343.4 per US$). Quite expensive! The smaller 47LH90 is KRW4,200,00 (US$3,126) and the 42LH90 is KRW3,300,000 (US$2,456). These LCD TVs are certainly not cheap but 240Hz, a LED backlight, local dimming that generates a contrast ratio of more than 2 million to one, and THX certification should be an interesting package to some of you.

Source: LG Electronics (Korean)

Source:

I read the same thing and I agree with you but other people say that info is wrong.....I really don't care when I get a chance to see one in person I'll make up my own mind! Thanks for the info!
post #85 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure if any people are familiar with Brand Source, but it is a national buying group that independant businesses like myself belong to. We have a warehouse through them and they make big deals with manufactures like Samsung, LG, Toshiba, and Sharp. Basically the same concept of a big box store accept a lot better. I'm just not sure many people are aware of it yet.
post #86 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Dont get me wrong I hope the Info is missprinted but It is coming From LG S.Korea..I have also read it in other places too.. There was alot of talk about more LED's and zones, but it seems to have just been rumors..

Hawkeye: Maybe a link to Brand source or more info??
post #87 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Dont get me wrong I hope the Info is missprinted but It is coming From LG S.Korea..I have also read it in other places too.. There was alot of talk about more LED's and zones, but it seems to have just been rumors..

Maybe it is, like you I hope its wrong too...LOL....You've had it now for a couple of extra days now, how's it for just watching movies and HD tv, thats all I will be doing with it anyways (I do my gameing on a PC on my Dell 24" )?
post #88 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Hawkeye: Maybe a link to Brand source or more info??

Guys, watch the first video I posted from LG. It shows "last year" 128 zones, this year 240 zones. It's pretty clear to me.

Also, I think we all know for a fact that last years model, LG's first local dimming LED TV the LG90 is 128 zones. So I find it almost impossible for them to lower that to 90 on this years model while increasing the color and the dynamic contract from 1M:1 to 2M:1. Doesn't make sense.

I will try to find the video of the LG rep saying it has 240 LED zones.
post #89 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky T. Hawkeye View Post

I'm not sure if any people are familiar with Brand Source, but it is a national buying group that independant businesses like myself belong to. We have a warehouse through them and they make big deals with manufactures like Samsung, LG, Toshiba, and Sharp. Basically the same concept of a big box store accept a lot better. I'm just not sure many people are aware of it yet.

What is your store and where? Ohio? Shipping charges?
post #90 of 4726 Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM

To Hawkeye: I understand that as independent dealer you wouldnt like Best Buy but as a consumer they give me choices.
We have two local small dealers; each handles only a few brands and a few models. When I go to HH Gregg or Best Buy I see hundreds of sets and can compare them side by side. That is something the small dealer cant do. Sorry. Some of the salespersons in BB dont know much while others are as knowledgeable as any small dealers. I got free delivery from BB, Do you offer same? If there had been a problem with my set BB will just send out another one from their warehouse. And to me that is a very big deal and why I dont buy for a cheaper price over the internet. Do you have a warehouse full of them? If I was a small dealer I would give my customers something like free ISF calibration(for sets over a certain price). That would be something I couldnt get from BB. All the small dealers around me dont do anything that BB doesnt do. I would LOVE to support the small independant dealer but for that to happen they would have to match BB selection/price etc. or offer something extra that BB doesnt. Again sorry but maybe as a dealer you need to hear why some of us patronize the big guys even when we would rather give you our business.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page