Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4729 Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What gets me is that yes LG did say @ CES there were going to be 240 zones I could of sworn I heard that some where also.. But that was at the beginning of the 2009 year now the article I posted above is from April.2nd saying LG's 1st 240hz tv 960-leds, 90-zones.
Now I understand there is usually small writing somewhere that says Product description/specifications are subject to change from manufacturer w/out notice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4729 Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Yeah, there is no way LG would have less zones than last years model, that would kill them and the picture would look terrible. 960 LED's and 90 zones is NOT enough to compete with Samsung, Sony or Toshiba.

The video I saw was an LG rep at CES which was this past January and he stated that the LH90 would has 240 zones and just under 3k LED's. I don't know why some articles are stating 90 zones buy they are incorrect.
post #93 of 4729 Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

Yeah, there is no way LG would have less zones than last years model, that would kill them and the picture would look terrible. 960 LED's and 90 zones is NOT enough to compete with Samsung, Sony or Toshiba.

The video I saw was an LG rep at CES which was this past January and he stated that the LH90 would has 240 zones and just under 3k LED's. I don't know why some articles are stating 90 zones buy they are incorrect.

It would not be that smart of a move by LG, youre right..I also have not noticed "Blooming" to be a mjor issue like it was on A950..Even w/update..

I figured they all (TV Mfg's) used the termanology "Zone(s)" for how many LED clusters there are in LED lCD's to accomplish Local Dimming.. Not brightness levels, since you can go from 1-100 on Back light level brightness..

But it is only 1-100 BL levels not 240 Like it states on LG's website..So maybe they are reffering to 240 Zones
post #94 of 4729 Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 PM

As the owner of last years model, 47lg90 and now this years 55lh90 I can tell you that regardless of how many zones or leds they have the displays on both are very similar. LG will probably try to convince everyone that this years sets are a hugh improvement with their extra leds/zones just as they will brag about 240hz over last years 120hz but the only improvement that I can actually SEE is the 8" of additional screen size. That translates to much more impact. I have stated in prior posts that the 55lh90 does have some additional features especially Wizard but I cant tell you that the 55 has a better picture than the 47 and after all thats what most of us are looking for. Oh and it seems if I recall correctly that last years contrast ratio was 1000000/1 and this years is stated as 2000000/1. Does that make it twice as good??? I give LG credit for trying but you have to actually see the screen to determine in your mind if it is all hype or are they actually onto something. Reports/reviews and specifications will never tell you what you need to know. Go find a local dealer and view the set and play with the adjustments and see if you like it. And when comparing it to a Sony xbr8(if lucky enough to find both) remember that the Sony costs $2000.00 more almost twice as much. There damn well should be differences for that kind of difference in money. At least with the Samsung it is only about $500.00
post #95 of 4729 Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgary View Post

As the owner of last years model, 47lg90 and now this years 55lh90 I can tell you that regardless of how many zones or leds they have the displays on both are very similar. LG will probably try to convince everyone that this years sets are a hugh improvement with their extra leds/zones just as they will brag about 240hz over last years 120hz but the only improvement that I can actually SEE is the 8" of additional screen size. That translates to much more impact. I have stated in prior posts that the 55lh90 does have some additional features especially Wizard but I cant tell you that the 55 has a better picture than the 47 and after all thats what most of us are looking for. Oh and it seems if I recall correctly that last years contrast ratio was 1000000/1 and this years is stated as 2000000/1. Does that make it twice as good??? I give LG credit for trying but you have to actually see the screen to determine in your mind if it is all hype or are they actually onto something. Reports/reviews and specifications will never tell you what you need to know. Go find a local dealer and view the set and play with the adjustments and see if you like it. And when comparing it to a Sony xbr8(if lucky enough to find both) remember that the Sony costs $2000.00 more almost twice as much. There damn well should be differences for that kind of difference in money. At least with the Samsung it is only about $500.00

itgary,
It seems strange that you don't see a difference. I've seen the LG90 and I actually thought the color and PQ was fantastic, the only thing that I didn't like was the black levels which seemed worse than the other by a wide margin. Off axis, that is moving off center there was terrible washout on the lG90, at least that is my experience of what I could see.

So that is what I really hoped LG would change and the extra clusters and LED's would do that and that is what I haven't heard any owners talk about especially you since you've owned both.

If I just read the spec sheet then this set beats the Samsung 950 but seems reality is not the case. No one has these sets to look at in person. Belive me I had contemplated just ordering in without looking at it but my better judgement came in and I decided to wait.
post #96 of 4729 Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 AM

Flyers you might be right. That is the problem with all reviews/posts etc: they are highly subjective. I sit directly in front of my sets and thats how I judge them. I really cant measure and dont care what the off-axis viewing angle is. the specs can quote a figure, say 178 degrees, but in my real life viewing who cares. As I stated in a earlier post my wife is five foot to my right and the screen is fine for her. If another person was ten feet away from dead center and everything was washed out then it would be a significant criteria for them. But I dont so I dont care.
post #97 of 4729 Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Flyers you might be right. That is the problem with all reviews/posts etc: they are highly subjective. I sit directly in front of my sets and thats how I judge them. I really cant measure and dont care what the off-axis viewing angle is. the specs can quote a figure, say 178 degrees, but in my real life viewing who cares. As I stated in a earlier post my wife is five foot to my right and the screen is fine for her. If another person was ten feet away from dead center and everything was washed out then it would be a significant criteria for them. But I dont so I dont care.

I totally understand and agree with you that you have your specific viewing area no matter how good or bad the viewing angle is. I actually don't care AS much as many on here do because they judge the sets at a rediculous and abnormal off-set, which you would never watch a TV that way anyway so why judge. But like I mentioned the LG90 (last years LED) had terrible washout that was very noticable even if it was 10 or 15 degrees. That is not good for me and I woud think the majority of people would feel the same. I hope that has been corrected in this model (LH90) but I'll have to wait until they hit the stores.
post #98 of 4729 Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

AHHH i wish I had a DIgi camera so I could show yall exactly what my layout is in the Game room.. I have seen washout before (Sammy A950) and this set is not bad at all, actuyally almost as good Viewing angle as A750 and that just might be since it has a Ultra Clear Panel..Trust me I would not have gamed on the floor those long nights if the viewing angle washed out severly, would be in 1-foot back in my new la-z-boy recliner

Itgary: how is the 240hz workin so far for ya?? Also have you noticed any backlight fluctuation w/ your set Mainly when screen displays mostly all white pics... thx
post #99 of 4729 Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

AHHH i wish I had a DIgi camera so I could show yall exactly what my layout is in the Game room.. I have seen washout before (Sammy A950) and this set is not bad at all, actuyally almost as good Viewing angle as A750 and that just might be since it has a Ultra Clear Panel..Trust me I would not have gamed on the floor those long nights if the viewing angle washed out severly, would be in 1-foot back in my new la-z-boy recliner

Itgary: how is the 240hz workin so far for ya?? Also have you noticed any backlight fluctuation w/ your set Mainly when screen displays mostly all white pics... thx

Really? So you're saying your experience with the Sammy A950 LED set had worse black level washout than this LG? That is one of my main concerns based on last years model the LG90.
How does the picture compare to the 950? I am assuming the Sammy has superior PQ because they've always had a leg up on processing compared to others except Sony and Panny and Pioneer.
post #100 of 4729 Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Really? So you're saying your experience with the Sammy A950 LED set had worse black level washout than this LG? That is one of my main concerns based on last years model the LG90.
How does the picture compare to the 950? I am assuming the Sammy has superior PQ because they've always had a leg up on processing compared to others except Sony and Panny and Pioneer.

I would agree that the samsungs do have sharper/better pic quality yes..
THe A950 did washout on blacks and colors bad on my set when viewing just the slightest off . I had the ln46a950...But it did look better Pic. wise in every other way besides the blooming..
post #101 of 4729 Old 06-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

I would agree that the samsungs do have sharper/better pic quality yes..
THe A950 did washout on blacks and colors bad on my set when viewing just the slightest off . I had the ln46a950...But it did look better Pic. wise in every other way besides the blooming..

Well at least the off-axis viewing is better than the 950 but I'm a little disappointed that the Sammy was sharper. Could it be a calibration issue you think?

Well I guess I'll have to wait and check it out for myself. It's between this set, the Sammy 8000 or the Tosh SV670. The Sammy 9000 is coming in Aug/Sep but it also has a steep pricetag.
post #102 of 4729 Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Well at least the off-axis viewing is better than the 950 but I'm a little disappointed that the Sammy was sharper. Could it be a calibration issue you think?

Well I guess I'll have to wait and check it out for myself. It's between this set, the Sammy 8000 or the Tosh SV670. The Sammy 9000 is coming in Aug/Sep but it also has a steep pricetag.

Thanks guys for all the input, I'm in the same boat, Samsung 8000, Toshiba SV670, or the LG, which one? Hopefully the LG and Tosh will be in stores in the next couple of weeks?
post #103 of 4729 Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post

Thanks guys for all the input, I'm in the same boat, Samsung 8000, Toshiba SV670, or the LG, which one? Hopefully the LG and Tosh will be in stores in the next couple of weeks?

Hopefully sooner than later but I can wait for a little while. I just have to see them in person.
post #104 of 4729 Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I use a monster hts 5100 mkii to filter the a/c and I put a heavy duty 14g power cord on both sets. Maybe that made a difference--who knows for sure? .

I also have a monster hts-3500 and shuyata power chord and it does make a diff. Oh forgot to mention I also have PS audio power port ac receptacle. Just curious which HDMI cable do you use. I hope it's not monoprice is it?
post #105 of 4729 Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM

HDMI=Blue Jeans Cable series 1
post #106 of 4729 Old 06-07-2009, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

HDMI=Blue Jeans Cable series 1

eh...not bad but at least it's not monopoop. There's a seller on ebay who's a dist for Harmonic TEch and they're clearing out their HDMI 2M, well more like giving it away something like 80% off for only $25 including shipping. I bought couple myself even though I don't need it for now but somebody will need it in the near future.

If you want one of the best for about same price as blue jeans PM me for his seller ID.
post #107 of 4729 Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Went to BB the other day (as usual ) to take a quick look at the Toshiba 47ZV650U -- I wanted to see how reflective the screen was. It was very reflective -- maybe more reflective than the Samsungs. (note to self: Take Toshiba off short list)

While I was there I found the following TVs sitting next to each other; the LG 47LH40, Samsung UN46B6000 and the Sony KDL-46V5100. I adjusted them all for Torch mode -- and there I stood for the next half hour watching the in-house BB feed loop around several times. Here are some of my observations as unscientific as it may be:

Color: The Samsung had fantastic color with both the LG and Samsung close behind. The Sony clearly needed some adjusting but I was expecting the Sony to take a closer second. In this comparison the LG looked very good -- however, I was hoping it would have done a little better.

Clarity (with 120Hz On): Samsung once again took the lead. The Sony was also very good but still a clear second place. Here the LG was tripping up quite a bit . In one scene with a fast flyover of trees down a river valley -- the motion was very choppy -- where the same scene on the Sony and Samsung was much smoother. Also in another scene of a not-so-fast moving snowmobile, there was as lot of noise setup in a halo around the snowmobiler. This was not observed on either the Sony or on the Samsung. Very disappointing.

Screen Reflectivity: This is a very big deal for me (read deal breaker) since this TV will face a larger set of windows. Here the Samsung's Gloss screen failed miserably - as expected. These TVs all faced the front glass BB entrance as well as another bank of smaller TVs just behind me. I could clearly see the entrance as well as make out what was on the TV behind me. Both the LG and Sony have Matte screens that reduced these reflections quite nicely.

Overall, I was disappointed in the LG because of the motion artifacts. If the Samsung did not have such a reflective screen it may have moved to the top of my list due to fantastic color, clarity and motion performance (yes I aware of the edge-lighting concerns). However, I'm now going to put some time into looking at the Sony's -- in particular the new XBR9 Series. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in a 55 inch version and it not LED backlight.

Maybe I'll go over to BB
post #108 of 4729 Old 06-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Went over to BB today to check out the Sony XBR9 TVs and stopped by to also look at their LG 47LH40. Since the topic of this forum is LG, I will save my comments for the XBR9 forum. However, it did look pretty good but more research is needed. The largest version is only 52 inch -- I'm looking to replace a 56 inch JVC RPTV so 52 inch is too much of a compromise.

Once again, watching the BB feed loop a few times I must admit it looked better than the last time I was there . Last time the picture was very noisy and I did notice a lot of motion artifacts. This time around it looked darn good. Picture was a lot more solid with good clarity. I also did not see any motion artifacts like I did the other day. It was sitting next to a Samsung (not sure what it was). The Samsung still won the competition with respect to color and clarity but this time the LG did not fall down.

I guess I will leave the LG on my list and continue researching considering that I still want a 55 inch LED based solution.
post #109 of 4729 Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side View Post

Went over to BB today to check out the Sony XBR9 TVs and stopped by to also look at their LG 47LH40. Since the topic of this forum is LG, I will save my comments for the XBR9 forum. However, it did look pretty good but more research is needed. The largest version is only 52 inch -- I'm looking to replace a 56 inch JVC RPTV so 52 inch is too much of a compromise.

Once again, watching the BB feed loop a few times I must admit it looked better than the last time I was there . Last time the picture was very noisy and I did notice a lot of motion artifacts. This time around it looked darn good. Picture was a lot more solid with good clarity. I also did not see any motion artifacts like I did the other day. It was sitting next to a Samsung (not sure what it was). The Samsung still won the competition with respect to color and clarity but this time the LG did not fall down.

I guess I will leave the LG on my list and continue researching considering that I still want a 55 inch LED based solution.

I agree with you and most of those observations are the same as what I have seen as well. I didn't notice the artifacts as much. One thing I will say is that when it comes to color and clarity LG can run with Sony and Samsung but they fail when it comes to contrast due to their lack of a good black level. That was my biggest turn off. I really hope the LH90 addresses this issue. We'll see, but not any time soon at BB evidently.

I say that because I talked with a sales person last night at BB, who was pretty knowledgeable belive it or not, and he look it up on the computer and he said that they can only be ordered online from BB. He said that that 55 doesn't even show up on their store inventory at all but the 47 did and if I wanted to order one in the store he could only order the 47, the 55 I would have to order online from home. He did say that since the 47 in their inventory computer they will most likely have it on the floor eventually but he had no idea when but said maybe July or August. I don't know why he said then and didn't ask.
post #110 of 4729 Old 06-07-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree with you and most of those observations are the same as what I have seen as well. I didn't notice the artifacts as much. One thing I will say is that when it comes to color and clarity LG can run with Sony and Samsung but they fail when it comes to contrast due to their lack of a good black level. That was my biggest turn off. I really hope the LH90 addresses this issue. We'll see, but not any time soon at BB evidently.

I say that because I talked with a sales person last night at BB, who was pretty knowledgeable belive it or not, and he look it up on the computer and he said that they can only be ordered online from BB. He said that that 55 doesn't even show up on their store inventory at all but the 47 did and if I wanted to order one in the store he could only order the 47, the 55 I would have to order online from home. He did say that since the 47 in their inventory computer they will most likely have it on the floor eventually but he had no idea when but said maybe July or August. I don't know why he said then and didn't ask.

BB Told me the same until I said check the warehouse, which after 5mins of typing they found them printed me up an ORCA and off I went....They have allways let me order in store, even if online only..

Yeah after spending much time w/ other sets I would agree the 240hz is WEAK on the LGlh90.. Might be returning this set and wait out for Samsung 9000 ld led if I can not get issue's fixed
post #111 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM

I am confused. I thought this was thread about the LG 90 series of sets???????????Southside is going to BB and looking at the lower or lowest series of sets LG makes(the 40's) and then telling us what they look like. This thread, I thought, was about LG's top end led backlite sets. How does the appearance of the lower end sets have any correlation to how their top end led 90 series perform????????????? Lets keep apples to apples or I'm outa here.
post #112 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Yea that's what happens when they put them on sell and you have to guess what they look like because they don't have any in stock! LOL
post #113 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Yea that's what happens when they put them on sell and you have to guess what they look like because they don't have any in stock! LOL

True. I will finally have the opportunity to view on in person this week. A local AV store near me is getting them (47 and 55 LH90) in on Wednesday so I'll give you guys a quick review afterwards.
post #114 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:

True. I will finally have the opportunity to view on in person this week. A local AV store near me is getting them (47 and 55 LH90) in on Wednesday so I'll give you guys a quick review afterwards.

Much appreciated, I really want to like it, with the matte screen it would work better in my house! You know I'm going to get chastised for this, when I was first looking for this led backlight my first choice was the XBR8 because of the matte screen, but once I saw the Sammy 8000 next to it, to me there was no comparison the Sammy (to me and my wife) looked way better, I think its the glass in front, better blacks and the colors really popped of the screen (I did set both to standard mode from vivid on both sets) just my 2 cents....
post #115 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Much appreciated, I really want to like it, with the matte screen it would work better in my house! You know I'm going to get chastised for this, when I was first looking for this led backlight my first choice was the XBR8 because of the matte screen, but once I saw the Sammy 8000 next to it, to me there was no comparison the Sammy (to me and my wife) looked way better, I think its the glass in front, better blacks and the colors really popped of the screen (I did set both to standard mode from vivid on both sets) just my 2 cents....

No problem. I will bring my camera and see if they will let me take pictures as well, but who knows.

You know, I love the Sammy 8000 and though I made my decision except I was in BB Magnolia and walk over the desk, the salesman was looking up the LG info for me and I look over at an angle in the somewhat dark area with the TVs on the wall. The XBR8 was below the 8000 and the XBR9 was next to it as well as the 950 on the other side, and I have to tell you from the distance of approx 50 ft the 8000 colors were washed out compared to the XBR8 and XBR9. The black bars in the BR they were playing on all of them was grey. I was disappointed and have now taken it off my list unfortunately.
post #116 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM

I want to thank Paullouisj for starting this thread. You just saved me alot of money$$$$$$$$ While I sometimes get discouraged from all the speculative posts from persons who dont own and in fact have never even seen this set I did get a PM on 6/6 from a local dealer who happens to be one of the forums sponsors. He offered me the set for $2100.00. Today I took a print-out of the PM offer to my Best Buy to see if they would do a price match. With no argument my salesperson said sure and they would even better the price match by 10%. That was an additional $50.00. So with no hassle the price dropped from 2649.99 to 2045.00 and I got $651.87 back on my credit card. So thanks to all involved as I feel $2045.00 for this set is a steal. The BB salesperson said this price was lower than their cost but he had to honor their price match policy. To the midwest dealer who wrote in many posts back asking why we would go to Best Buy---here is one of the many reasons. Which local dealer could or would do a price match like this? Thanks to all again.
post #117 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:

No problem. I will bring my camera and see if they will let me take pictures as well, but who knows.

You know, I love the Sammy 8000 and though I made my decision except I was in BB Magnolia and walk over the desk, the salesman was looking up the LG info for me and I look over at an angle in the somewhat dark area with the TVs on the wall. The XBR8 was below the 8000 and the XBR9 was next to it as well as the 950 on the other side, and I have to tell you from the distance of approx 50 ft the 8000 colors were washed out compared to the XBR8 and XBR9. The black bars in the BR they were playing on all of them was grey. I was disappointed and have now taken it off my list unfortunately.

Yea i guess they do wash out, but for me I'm 10 ft right in front of the screen, my wife is just 4 ft to the left of me, so I don't think the off angle wash out on any of these sets will be a problem in my house, except for glare, and I'm working on that now!
post #118 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I want to thank Paullouisj for starting this thread. You just saved me alot of money$$$$$$$$ While I sometimes get discouraged from all the speculative posts from persons who dont own and in fact have never even seen this set I did get a PM on 6/6 from a local dealer who happens to be one of the forums sponsors. He offered me the set for $2100.00. Today I took a print-out of the PM offer to my Best Buy to see if they would do a price match. With no argument my salesperson said sure and they would even better the price match by 10%. That was an additional $50.00. So with no hassle the price dropped from 2649.99 to 2045.00 and I got $651.87 back on my credit card. So thanks to all involved as I feel $2045.00 for this set is a steal. The BB salesperson said this price was lower than their cost but he had to honor their price match policy. To the midwest dealer who wrote in many posts back asking why we would go to Best Buy---here is one of the many reasons. Which local dealer could or would do a price match like this? Thanks to all again.

Now that's a great price and I know you'll be a Happy guy with that set!
post #119 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Yea i guess they do wash out, but for me I'm 10 ft right in front of the screen, my wife is just 4 ft to the left of me, so I don't think the off angle wash out on any of these sets will be a problem in my house, except for glare, and I'm working on that now!

There certainly no denying that straight on the 8000 is fantastic! I won't be watching at a bad angle either but it would pain me to drop that kind of cash for a set that washes out quickly. The funny thing is that in a bright environment it really doesn't wash out as much or I should say is not as noticeable. The 8000 is the set to have if you have a very bright room. Unfortunately their performance in a dark room isn't nearly as good. From an angle that is.
post #120 of 4729 Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Wow that is a crazy price! I think the LG and Tosh are trying to gain some market share from the Sammy Luxia series, which IMO are wayyy overpriced. Is the dealer an internet dealer or a brick and mortor shop? I am surpirsed a little that they didn't quesition the price.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page