Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyaudio View Post

Ok, so I just unboxed the TV and here are my initial impressions vs. the Samsung 8000.

First off the TV looks stunning, The flashlighting is minimal, if it is even there at all. After watching the first few scenes of Dark Knight on BD, I saw no evidence of Flashlighting/clouding, so if it is there, I would have to be viewing a completely black screen...

LH90-1
Samsung 8000-0

Next The god awful auto-dimming of the samsung edgelit tv is finally gone, The lh90's local dimming beats the 8000 by a long shot on this one. No constant "flicker" of the backlight trying to compensate for dark scenes...

LH90-2
Samsung-0

Off axis is much improved with the LG...I can actually sit some where besides the couch in my living room and enjoy the picture, though the off axis is not quite what it could be vs my old plasma, it is still improved over the 8000

LH90-3
Samsung-0

Possibly the only area where the samsung comes out on top is the ability to control the 240hz effects (judder/blur) independent of each other. I really liked that feature, but I do believe its something I can live without...

LH90-3
Samsung-1

Also I like the Matte screen that the lh90 has as opposed to the glossy screen of the samsung. This is the first time that I have actually returned a TV (if that gives you an idea of how much the 8000 bothered me) and so far it seems like a great move.

More:
10 IRE is really helpful in calibration. I get perfect flat 2.2 gamma on LH90. Also six-axis color management which I haven't figured out how to use :/

LH90-4
Samsung-1

Samsung's black is blacker than LG's in a complete dark room.

LH90-4
Samsung-2

No dead pixels. My returned 55B6000 has 1 dead blue pixel. But that's probably just my bad luck.

LH90-5
Samsung-2

I returned 55B6000 due to flashlight/clouding/white fluctuation after owned it for 3 days. Now I'm a happy LH90 owner for a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 AM

Liked: 11
It's interesting to see such a turn around in reputation for LG here in the forums. LG has been a reputable company overall, but I would never have thought this time last year that I would ever buy an LG TV. Both the plasmas and the LCD for LG were ok but never anything spectacular. With the introduction of the LH90 things have really turned around. Weird how things can change so quickly. Unfortunately I think a lot of people still won't consider an LG because of the feedback from the models in the recent past. With the LH90 being compared to the Kuro and the Samsung 8500, I think it is a series that more people should be considering.

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #2523 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

It's interesting to see such a turn around in reputation for LG here in the forums. LG has been a reputable company overall, but I would never have thought this time last year that I would ever buy an LG TV. Both the plasmas and the LCD for LG were ok but never anything spectacular. With the introduction of the LH90 things have really turned around. Weird how things can change so quickly. Unfortunately I think a lot of people still won't consider an LG because of the feedback from the models in the recent past. With the LH90 being compared to the Kuro and the Samsung 8500, I think it is a series that more people should be considering.

Yeah you are right. But you have to also consider the price point at which LG is marketing this TV series. For half the price tag of the Samsung and Kuro. If LG were to go closer to their prices, no body wouldn't buy them. Its a win-win situation here. I love my 55LH90. It amazes me. Its the best product i have purchased in a while.
post #2524 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotneutron View Post

More:
10 IRE is really helpful in calibration. I get perfect flat 2.2 gamma on LH90. Also six-axis color management which I haven't figured out how to use :/

LH90-4
Samsung-1

Samsung's black is blacker than LG's in a complete dark room.

LH90-4
Samsung-2

No dead pixels. My returned 55B6000 has 1 dead blue pixel. But that's probably just my bad luck.

LH90-5
Samsung-2

I returned 55B6000 due to flashlight/clouding/white fluctuation after owned it for 3 days. Now I'm a happy LH90 owner for a month.

My 55LH90 can go completely pitch black in a complete dark room (execpt for the glowing LED lights from other equipments). But it could be dependent on the setting also. I thought the THX setting doesn't go pitch dark.
post #2525 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM

I would also have to disagree with the blacks being blacker on the samsung. My 8000 had such a large problem with clouding, that there was no way it could produce a really deep dark black.

in my opinion the LG beats the Samsung in black levels
post #2526 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM

I just hooked-up my LG42LH90 LCD TV with all its inputs including an OTA connection. For sound I am using the Optical output to an analog converter(RCA) that goes to a Bose Cinemate. ALL of the inputs play sound over the TV's speakers perfectly. The problem is that except for the OTA input, all work with the Bose Cinemate as well. When I switch to the DTV-OTA(antenna) input I'll hear a crackle and then just the sound from the TV's speaker, but NO Bose system sound. I checked the DTV signal and all say they are DD sound. If I switch back to a game console or a STB input sound comes over Bose Cinemate fine. I've turned OFF the TV's speaker with no change. Help! (posted this on the Home Theater in Box forum before I found this one)
post #2527 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilviv View Post

I just hooked-up my LG42LH90 LCD TV with all its inputs including an OTA connection. For sound I am using the Optical output to an analog converter(RCA) that goes to a Bose Cinemate. ALL of the inputs play sound over the TV's speakers perfectly. The problem is that except for the OTA input, all work with the Bose Cinemate as well. When I switch to the DTV-OTA(antenna) input I'll hear a crackle and then just the sound from the TV's speaker, but NO Bose system sound. I checked the DTV signal and all say they are DD sound. If I switch back to a game console or a STB input sound comes over Bose Cinemate fine. I've turned OFF the TV's speaker with no change. Help! (posted this on the Home Theater in Box forum before I found this one)

I'm not familar with the Cinemate, but my bet would be on the "analog convertor". If you have another DD sound system around, I'd try the optical audio with it and the OTA source. My bet is that it will work.

- Mark
post #2528 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM

I read the PVA (samsung 6/7/8xxx series) generally is blacker than S-IPS (LG xxLH90) panels. In PVA panels, the pixels twist and let the light through in a different angel, otherwise, it will completely block the light, that's how they achieve blacker blacks.

Reference: http://www.natureasia.com/asia-mater...iew.php?id=577
Regarding IPS panel light leakage:
Quote:

For IPS panels in particular, the planar orientation of LC molecules makes it rather difficult to prevent light leakage. ... It has recently been reported that a contrast ratio of 1,500:1 has been achieved for IPS-mode panels through the use of an improved rubbing process and materials with low light scattering properties

Regarding VA panel:
Quote:

In VA-mode panels, a very dark state can be achieved because there is no residual retardation in the field-off state. ... The PVA mode, which has an ITO slit, has very little light leakage owing to its flat surface geometry, and recently contrast ratios of around 10,000:1 have been reported at several international conferences

I agree that local dimming resolves the issue for XXLH90 almost completely, but I can still notice the halo caused by the the leaked lights, especially when viewing off-axis. It's much less noticeable than the Samsung's flashlight/clouding though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermoxi View Post

My 55LH90 can go completely pitch black in a complete dark room (execpt for the glowing LED lights from other equipments). But it could be dependent on the setting also. I thought the THX setting doesn't go pitch dark.

post #2529 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Yeah you are right. But you have to also consider the price point at which LG is marketing this TV series. For half the price tag of the Samsung and Kuro. If LG were to go closer to their prices, no body wouldn't buy them. Its a win-win situation here. I love my 55LH90. It amazes me. Its the best product i have purchased in a while.

That's what I find to be weird. It seems to me that there are fewer people looking at the LH90 than I would expect considering the price and the great set you get for a far smaller price tag than comparable sets.

post #2530 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Honestly, in B&M store Samsung performs much better with ultra-slim design, vivid (over-satuated) color compared to LG's. It just has more 'pop' than LG for average shopper. Average customer would settle with a CCFL LCD, which is quite a bargain now. Or if they want to spend more, probably a Samsung. On the other hand, informed customers who can notice the quality difference, especially in the brightly lit store, are always the minority.

When I shopped LED LCDs, I was comparing 55LH90 against samsung 55B6000, both can be found around $2000 in regular deals. They are comparable in terms of dollars. It's unthinkable for me to compare LG LH90 side-by-side with Samsung 8500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

That’s what I find to be weird. It seems to me that there are fewer people looking at the LH90 than I would expect considering the price and the great set you get for a far smaller price tag than comparable sets.

post #2531 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermoxi View Post

Mine does also.

Some ISF trained calibrators, including the fellow that calibrated my LH90, have stated that the THX mode is not accurate. Have seen this posted even for the Panny V10.

I do not use the THX mode.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2532 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotneutron View Post

They are comparable in terms of dollars. It's unthinkable for me to compare LG LH90 side-by-side with Samsung 8500.

The comparisons that I have seen I am referring to is by reviewers and members of the forum.

post #2533 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
THX mode is supposed to be the cats meow in regards to being as accurate to the true motion picture standards as possible - yet when I put the calibration meter on it, it's not even close! Quality Standards?
post #2534 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Is there a way to turn off the DolbyDigital on the TV ANT/OTA input.
post #2535 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

THX mode is supposed to be the cats meow in regards to being as accurate to the true motion picture standards as possible - yet when I put the calibration meter on it, it's not even close! Quality Standards?

Do I read that you finally got your meter/generator back in time before Christmas. I doubt that you can get any better settings than you gave us already, but I will patiently wait and see. I am really loving this TV. I would not trade it for anything. Thanks to you it really shines.
post #2536 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The Chroma5 and the new DPG-1200 Pattern generator is on it's way from Seattle, Wa. by Fedex Express, and hopefully will arrive slightly before Christmas Eve and new results will appear on boxing day from my settled in 55LH90. I notice my current settings are starting to get a little bright and need taming down.
post #2537 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Any info on what the new 3.17 firmware is all about? I see that someone mentioned it in a previous post. I tried contacting LG about the firmware and they gave me zero info on it.

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
post #2538 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

Any info on what the new 3.17 firmware is all about? I see that someone mentioned it in a previous post. I tried contacting LG about the firmware and they gave me zero info on it.

Probably just a typo.

- Mark
post #2539 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone purchase a December build XXLH90 that can tell us what Firmware it comes with?
post #2540 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

Probably just a typo.

- Mark

I don't think so. 3.17.0 is nowhere near 3.13.1 on a keyboard. Too dissimilar for a typo. Also the guy who got that in a FW update remarked that the tech said it was the latest, just released.
post #2541 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Did they say it was available? Or did you ask them about it and they wouldn't tell you what it fixed?
post #2542 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I don't think so. 3.17.0 is nowhere near 3.13.1 on a keyboard. Too dissimilar for a typo. Also the guy who got that in a FW update remarked that the tech said it was the latest, just released.

I meant "typo" as a general placeholder for some confusion about the version number - only one poster has mentioned it and he said "3.17" not "3.17.0". And it would be odd for the software version to jump from 3.13 to 3.17. Further, I'm not expecting LG is going to revise the software again anyway from 3.13.1 - they're probably off to their LH100 or whatever for next season.

I just think we want to hold our horses here before we start off on a wild goose chase for 3.17 until we get some confirmation that there is such a thing.

- Mark
post #2543 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicthroat View Post

Did they say it was available? Or did you ask them about it and they wouldn't tell you what it fixed?

Below is the email I sent and the reply I got

-----------Reply to Customer Inquiry------------
Dear Sammie,

I sincerely apologize for the difficulties you have experienced with your LG Product.

The only need for a firmware update is in relation to an audio-sync problem some customers are experiencing due to outdated hardware and firmware in cable/satellite boxes.

If you do not have this issue, then you have the latest firmware.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience.

Scott B.
E-mail Administrator
Customer Interactive Center
LGEAI

This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above, and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by calling 256-772-0623. Thank you.

-----------Customer Details------------
Name : *snip*
Street : *snip*
City : *snip*
State : CA
Zip Code : *snip*
Telephone # : *snip*
Country/Region : U.S.A.
E-mail : *snip*

-----------Original Customer Inquiry------------
Received Date : 12/17/2009 16:40:36
The type of inquiry : Software/Hardware updates
Product/Model No. : TV/42 LH90

What is the most current firmware available for the LH90? I currently have 3.13 I believe. Is there anything newer and if so what is the difference between what I currently have and the newest. Also is there a way that when using the USB port on the display when viewing movies, and pictures to have the display use my settings from Expert 1, 2 etc? Currently it has it's own setting that is absolutly horrible.

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
post #2544 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

...If you do not have this issue, then you have the latest firmware....

This is an interesting way at looking at things.

- Mark
post #2545 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Also is there a way that when using the USB port on the display when viewing movies, and pictures to have the display use my settings from Expert 1, 2 etc? Currently it has it's own setting that is absolutly horrible.

I doubt this issue has to do with the USB using different "settings" than the other picture modes as it is more a resolution problem than a color setting problem. Based on my experience using other LG products having the ability to view pictures and movies from files, there is some major problem in the scaling and decoding of file formats.

- Mark
post #2546 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody tried using the WD media player with this TV?
Did you have good results?

"If at first you don't succeed......reboot"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2547 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 02:36 PM

I'm not sure as I would think that it is ideally decoding properly since it is capable of displaying the image. The problem is or at least I feel is that it uses a specific setting/picture mode (i.e. game, vivid, etc) that is not accessible to the user for editing. I will have to check to make sure but you know when you copy your settings white balance, or when you select what inputs your user settings will apply to it doesn't apply them to the USB as it is not selectable.

Also when you are viewing a movie, picture etc, you cannot access any menu either quick or standard to change the picture settings.

Which also brings up another good point about copying and different inputs. When I first got the display the first night I had SD broadcasting. I put in some settings watched a few over the air HD digital channels and it looked pretty good. I selected to copy those settings to all inputs.

The next day after I got the display I picked up a HD digital cable box. Used HDMI 1. Check the settings and they didn't save. So re did my settings. Saved them to all inputs.

Today I picked up a 2nd 360. Used HDMI 2, set it up, turned everything on, checked the settings. They didn't save. I'm going to test it some more but 1 of 2 or 3 things are happening.

1. It is not really copying the settings. 2. It saves the settings but it saves them for that resolution (i.e. entered settings for hdmi with a 1080i signal, and the settings only save for a 1080i signal) 3. It saves as mentioned above in number 2, but only saves it to that 1 input not across all inputs.

This seems to be what I'm seeing but I have to test it to make sure. I might be crazy and imagining this though.

post #2548 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I meant "typo" as a general placeholder for some confusion about the version number - only one poster has mentioned it and he said "3.17" not "3.17.0". And it would be odd for the software version to jump from 3.13 to 3.17. Further, I'm not expecting LG is going to revise the software again anyway from 3.13.1 - they're probably off to their LH100 or whatever for next season.

I just think we want to hold our horses here before we start off on a wild goose chase for 3.17 until we get some confirmation that there is such a thing.

- Mark

My software jumped (as did most) from 3.04 to 3.13. So I don't expect any rhyme or reason for the SW version no. Time will tell.
post #2549 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt this issue has to do with the USB using different "settings" than the other picture modes as it is more a resolution problem than a color setting problem.

No, resolution doesn't come into play. The picture looked so digusting to me that I then went and created about 10 other versions of one photo in various resolutions, from small to large. The same overblown colors, red cast & tones were visible on all of them.

The BD370 I have allows for a bit of picture adjustment when viewing photos. The LH90 simply doesn't have any adjustment options for the USB whatsoever. I'd really like to find out if there is anything in the service menu that might help this, but I'm guessing we are all SOL.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2550 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

No, resolution doesn't come into play. The picture looked so digusting to me that I then went and created about 10 other versions of one photo in various resolutions, from small to large. The same overblown colors, red cast & tones were visible on all of them.

The BD370 I have allows for a bit of picture adjustment when viewing photos. The LH90 simply doesn't have any adjustment options for the USB whatsoever. I'd really like to find out if there is anything in the service menu that might help this, but I'm guessing we are all SOL.

Never mind!!! It was you who posted them!!! :-)

I haven't tried the USB yet, since I have a PS3. Now I'm a bit curious about it myself....

=================
See post #1938.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...150014&page=65
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page