Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 4726 Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 167
And you wondered what we do on dang blasted cold days! Play with our 55LH90s of course - Needless to say this set does not warm up the room to any degree. Once the set is back up to my previous night's settings, will continue on! But 7.5 hours to warm up!!!? I thought this was solid state; it doesn't have to warm up that much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4726 Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsk116 View Post

I have the 47LH90 and same build date and mine worked OK, firmware version 3.13.1.

Why am I so lucky?
post #2703 of 4726 Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Page #87 - Items # 2585 and 2586 have been revised with cailbrations done today. Please try and let me know how they work out. Again, remember, my 55LH90 (Nov build), my lighting and room conditions. Have installed into the July build, and will let my wife be the judge on that one! Have these settings on Expert 1 and my old settings using Typhoons CMS on Expert 2. Will compare after a good nights sleep!
post #2704 of 4726 Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Liked: 11
Deleted

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #2705 of 4726 Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Page #87 - Items # 2585 and 2586 have been revised with cailbrations done today. Please try and let me know how they work out. Again, remember, my 55LH90 (Nov build), my lighting and room conditions. Have installed into the July build, and will let my wife be the judge on that one! Have these settings on Expert 1 and my old settings using Typhoons CMS on Expert 2. Will compare after a good nights sleep!

Thank you for all of the work you have put into this and for posting your settings. I gave it a shot, but it doesn't seem to work on my set. I have been using your previously posted IRE settings without any CMS changes, and that seems to have accurate color to my eyes.

I played with the new settings a bit more and I found that changing the Color Gamut to Standard and the White Balance to Cool took away the neon coloring that I was experiencing. I had done the same with Typhoon's settings. I suppose this defeats the purpose of the calibrated settings, but it gives the colors pop on my set without being too saturated. The Cool White Balance setting restores bright whites too.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more about your calibration!

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #2706 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't have time to fine tune the settings - getting late and all - did notice that in this set of calibrations that the peachyness of the last settings is gone. Did notice a tinge of yellow. Weird, in some scenes the snow was white, in others kind of dull. Nature scenes seemed to show the yellow tinge a bit. Tried calibrating with the Cool setting: the Green flatlined OK, but Red and Blue were not so compliant. Went back to Warm were I come bend them to my will. Will check what your changes does to the appearance on my set. Thanks for the feedback.
post #2707 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This post is a reply to a PM from swamp2 about calibration services. Posted here to benefit other posters.

From a number of posts on the calibration thread it seems that Bestbuy is a mixed bag. Some stores and some geek squads do well others not so. Buyer beware I would say.

Question your prospective calibrator and if there is a website check it out. There are a number if ISF trained calibrators servicing San Diego county. I selected:
http://www.coastcalibration.com/

This page lists the equipment he uses:
http://www.coastcalibration.com/equipment.html

It is very up to date including a special version of Calman and the Chroma V modified for backlit and edgelit LED sets. The equipment listed is typical of what a well qualified calibrator will use and can be used as a checklist.

Popular pattern generators are Sencore and Accupel, software van be from CalMan, Sencore and others.
The meters can be a spectrophotometer or colorimeter. The Chroma V is popular. Here is an excerpt from an email sent by Bill Hergonson:
Quote:

The Color Pro V (which is a Chroma 5) was measured in the laboratory to be accurate to within 0.000 in ALL measurement parameters of Primary Color measurement and +- 1.5% luminance measurement. This is a very sensitive instrument and what is used in professional calibration. Tom Huffman says that "If you can have only one meter to use, it would be the (Chroma) Color
Pro V."

His pricing is very reasonable. About 60% of the $400 most calibrators charge and with 36 years experience in TV broadcasting he is well qualified.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2708 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Getting the best from these units is tricky. I have some great gear for both audio and video if folks are looking for calibration services for these units.
post #2709 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM

I just had my 47LH90 calibrated by Chad B on New Years eve. This is the second TV I've had him calibrated and I was not dissapointed.

I originally had the Cnet setting applied. When he measured the TV with those settings the gamma was actually not too far off (2.18). But the grayscale was way off especially the red. Color temp was only at 5665. Just for kicks we measured standard mode as well which was just atrocious. Everything was way off and color temp was over 9k. After he was done with the calibration grayscale was excellent, gamma right at 2.20, and color temp at 6499.

He gave me a day mode and a night mode for HDMI as well as component (some tweaks from HDMI). Interestingly we noticed that 480p overscans slightly in just scan mode.

Chad spent a little more than 6 hours calibrating my set mainly doing several passes on the 10 point grayscale. I am extremely happy with the results. The LH90 looks amazing and 10000000000 times better after calibration. Honestly, I couldn't imagine buying this tv (or any tv for main viewing) and enjoying it without an ISF calibration.

If you are in Chad's service area I HIGHLY recommend you have him calibrated your LH90!!
post #2710 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:

What value did you use for luminance at 100 IRE?
post #2711 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipo View Post

I just had my 47LH90 calibrated by Chad B on New Years eve. This is the second TV I've had him calibrated and I was not dissapointed.

I originally had the Cnet setting applied. When he measured the TV with those settings the gamma was actually not too far off (2.18). But the grayscale was way off especially the red. Color temp was only at 5665. Just for kicks we measured standard mode as well which was just atrocious. Everything was way off and color temp was over 9k. After he was done with the calibration grayscale was excellent, gamma right at 2.20, and color temp at 6499.

He gave me a day mode and a night mode for HDMI as well as component (some tweaks from HDMI). Interestingly we noticed that 480p overscans slightly in just scan mode.

Chad spent a little more than 6 hours calibrated my set mainly doing several passes on the 10 point grayscale. I am extremely happy with the results. The LH90 looks amazing and 10000000000 times better after calibration. Honestly, I couldn't imagine buying this tv (or any tv for main viewing) and enjoying it without an ISF calibration.

If you are in Chad's service area I HIGHLY recommend you have him calibrated your LH90!!

Care to post your settings?

I Want More HD!
post #2712 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

I just had my 47LH90 calibrated by Chad B on New Years eve.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #2713 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland.johnson View Post

Why am I so lucky?

I would try again, maybe you miscounted or did not press the button firmly enough, nothing to loose.
post #2714 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM

I actually watched one of these today in BB for about 15 minutes. I was blown away by the unit, in BB nonetheless. It was playing some SD material and it looked amazing. I was very surprised by the color accuracy as I have never actually taken the time to look at the LG. Unfortunately the "idiot salesman" could not find the remote so I could not see the settings but it looked great. From my few minutes with it, I am definitely putting it on my list of possible replacements for the game room. Anyone gaming with one of these? How is it for MP?

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #2715 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What value did you use for luminance at 100 IRE?

Just followed Chad Bs lead and set to 137.
post #2716 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

Thank you for all of the work you have put into this and for posting your settings. I gave it a shot, but it doesn't seem to work on my set. I have been using your previously posted IRE settings without any CMS changes, and that seems to have accurate color to my eyes.

I played with the new settings a bit more and I found that changing the Color Gamut to Standard and the White Balance to Cool took away the neon coloring that I was experiencing. I had done the same with Typhoon's settings. I suppose this defeats the purpose of the calibrated settings, but it gives the colors pop on my set without being too saturated. The Cool White Balance setting restores bright whites too.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more about your calibration!

I Find, depending on what you're watching - I preferred the Medium or Cool White balance - this alleviates the yellow tinge - but the Warm setting does work out again watching some video materials that are too bright. Like we say, adjust to one's viewing liking and room and lighting settings. Will pass along the finer settings once these settle in. Wife preferred the new settings over the old ones, but with White Balance at Cool. Gave me a funny look when I mentioned getting hers re-calibrated one day. (Someone invite her for a sleep over!)
post #2717 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just followed Chad Bs lead and set to 137.

Did you mean 130 ?

Many owners do not realize that the LH90 has an internal pattern generator for gray scale measurements.
From the picture/expert menu select either 10 point or 2 point IRE then select INNER.

These are gray scale patterns only and a DVD or external generator is needed for color.

I have done a gray scale run with a DPT94 meter and the internal patterns and obtained good results.
LL
LL
LL

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2718 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluntz View Post

Care to post your settings?

Out of respect for Chad and the fact I paid for the calibration, I'd rather not post the settings...Sorry
post #2719 of 4726 Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Out of respect for Chad and the fact I paid for the calibration, I'd rather not post the settings...Sorry

Chad will not mind at all. I have read many of his posts. He never objects to others using his settings.

Your settings will not work properly with other sets anyway. Set to set variation gets in the way.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2720 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 AM

Anyone knows if it's possible to turn OFF TrueMotion in USB mode? Everytime I push Menu while in USB mode, it exits.
post #2721 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Did you mean 130 ?

Many owners do not realize that the LH90 has an internal pattern generator for gray scale measurements.
From the picture/expert menu select either 10 point or 2 point IRE then select INNER.

These are gray scale patterns only and a DVD or external generator is needed for color.

I have done a gray scale run with a DPT94 meter and the internal patterns and obtained good results.

Selected INNER but all I got was a 100%(?) White screen - how did you get the patterns?
post #2722 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Selected INNER but all I got was a 100%(?) White screen - how did you get the patterns?

The pattern is an all grey field with luminescence specified by the IRE. E.g. set IRE to 50 and you should get %50 grey.

One thing I've noticed is that the Inner/Outer field is sometimes greyed out and I can't set it. But, then, after some other operations (navigating menus, cganging values, etc.) the field isn't greyed out and can be set. I haven't quite figured out which operation(s) change whether or not this field can be set.
post #2723 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optantic View Post

Anyone knows if it's possible to turn OFF TrueMotion in USB mode? Everytime I push Menu while in USB mode, it exits.

You can't do anything in USB mode. No settings whatsoever with which to tinker.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #2724 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Chad will not mind at all. I have read many of his posts. He never objects to others using his settings.

Your settings will not work properly with other sets anyway. Set to set variation gets in the way.

I do know that every set will need different settings to be properly calibrated. Let me verify this is okay with Chad. If he is okay with it then I'll post them.
post #2725 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The pattern is an all grey field with luminescence specified by the IRE. E.g. set IRE to 50 and you should get %50 grey.

One thing I've noticed is that the Inner/Outer field is sometimes greyed out and I can't set it. But, then, after some other operations (navigating menus, changing values, etc.) the field isn't greyed out and can be set. I haven't quite figured out which operation(s) change whether or not this field can be set.

And the LG will display the 100% Primaries, red, green and blue from the expert picture menu, but the LG has no way to display the secondaries, yellow, cyan and magenta.

Other than that the internal patterns are only available from some of the picture modes, it may be that the choice is affected by the settings for black level, gamut, etc. Have not tested for this.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2726 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

You can't do anything in USB mode. No settings whatsoever with which to tinker.

Okay, I just figured out how to turn off TrueMotion (literally) in USB mode, is by pushing the AV Mode button on the remote, you could then switch between THX, Sports, Game, or Off Mode.
post #2727 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optantic View Post

Okay, I just figured out how to turn off TrueMotion (literally) in USB mode, is by pushing the AV Mode button on the remote, you could then switch between THX, Sports, Game, or Off Mode.

Interesting. I'll have to see if that button will do anything when viewing still photos. You might be on to something.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #2728 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbn733mt View Post

I actually watched one of these today in BB for about 15 minutes. I was blown away by the unit, in BB nonetheless. It was playing some SD material and it looked amazing. I was very surprised by the color accuracy as I have never actually taken the time to look at the LG. Unfortunately the "idiot salesman" could not find the remote so I could not see the settings but it looked great. From my few minutes with it, I am definitely putting it on my list of possible replacements for the game room. Anyone gaming with one of these? How is it for MP?

Hey, I've had the set (55LH90) since 12/31, and have been loving it ever since. I tried peoples settings, but none to me looked as accurate as the THX setting. Chad's were too bright, and Typhoons were too colorful. Anyway, I have A 360 & PS3 hooked up and both look amazing. I play COD: MW2 online multi almost daily, and just started playing L4D2 online coop, and both look superb. No lag or delay, excellent color & shadows, and as a side note, no lip sync issues w/ my Comcast DVR via HDMI.

I could not be happier with my purchase.
post #2729 of 4726 Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And the LG will display the 100% Primaries, red, green and blue from the expert picture menu, but the LG has no way to display the secondaries, yellow, cyan and magenta.

Other than that the internal patterns are only available from some of the picture modes, it may be that the choice is affected by the settings for black level, gamut, etc. Have not tested for this.

OK - I see what you mean for the Grayscales, but as soon as I drop down to the colours, I'm back to original video - how did you get the colours?
post #2730 of 4726 Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK - I see what you mean for the Grayscales, but as soon as I drop down to the colours, I'm back to original video - how did you get the colours?

Sorry, my bad.
It does require that a white pattern be sent to the TV.

U.S. Army FA WWII
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page