AVS Forum banner

Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED Owners Forum [NO PRICE TALK]

673K views 5K replies 612 participants last post by  Bond 007 
#1 ·
Hello To all and Welcome.... I have finally found a LCD TV that is worth the price tag.. This LG lcd beats the Samsungs for sure IMHO (a750 ,b750, b7100,even a lil better then A950 price wise!!!!!) Almost Perfect Black screen uniformity no major light leakage!!!! No visiual drop off...Some blooming not bad though..

Great 240hz so far. Huge selection of pic settings(isf calibration program called Picture wizard is cool..I have had almost all recent 120,240hz sammys and pioneer plasma 5010, vizio's xvt, and by far this LED LG blows them away price wise and has a great pic!!!! Tv looks great and Video games Look AMAZING!!!! Only one minor issue so far is there is not an audio out except for optical which is not a deal breaker at all..Plus side speakers sound pretty well for a tv..

Some specs...

LG 55" Black LED Flat Panel LCD HDTV - 55LH90/ 1080p (1920 x 1080) Full HD Resolution/ 2,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio/ Invisible Speaker System/ Picture Wizard/ XD Engine/ ISFccc Ready/ TruMotion 240Hz/ 2.4ms Response Time/ SRS TruSurround XT/ USB 2.0/ 24p Real Cinema/ Built-In ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM Tuners/ Black Finish/

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm also very interested in any other feedback you have on this new model.

A question for you, are there options to customize how the TruMotion works? Something similar to the new Samsungs where you can adjust blur and judder reduction separately maybe?

Thanks!

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmer /forum/post/16525033

I'm also very interested in any other feedback you have on this new model.

A question for you, are there options to customize how the TruMotion works? Something similar to the new Samsungs where you can adjust blur and judder reduction separately maybe?

Thanks!

Ok thats why i took the 52b750 back 240hz sucked IMHO just good for movies not games... this one has 240hz hi and low...(not to mention when u turn 240hz off it does 120hz and it also looks good!!! Damn good for Games and movies so far do not have a blu-ray player...The adjust feature on sammys was not good for games and some movies at all..screen tearing alot of artifacts, some gosting blurring none on LG yet, except a lil halo around fast moving object..I am stoked!!!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/16524862

Pics please! Where/when did you get it?

Bought in Best buy(only on website) then picked up from local bb distribution warehouse in North Tx.. they will not have it in store for a while is what i was told.. Dont have a camera anymore exgirlfriend took it.. go to websites below to see what it looks like it, actually looks way better in person..

just go to best buy.com or abt.com to see pics.. Maybe i can get a pic up soon..Got it friday 22nd may

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/16525385

What videogame system do you have hooked up to it?

So you really think it beats the Luxia sets and maybe even the A950? Have you owned these to be able to make a comparison? I've got high hopes for this set.

Right now just xbox elite thru hdmi just sold my le ps3. IMHO games look way better on xbox since it has better Anti aliasing...Owned ln46a950 yes it was good except for blooming and bad screen uniformity...The sides on a950 were lighter then the middle...
The lg does not have this issue at all...have hd cable charter it looks great..Have not watched much cable yet...

You should not be let down (I have had Samsung lnt4665fx,ln46a650,ln52a750still have),ln52b610,ln52b750 also ln46a950. not to mention the panny sammy and pioneer plasmas...so comaperd to all of the above I am now Thrilled and probably wont be on here any more!! Gonna go enjoy this bad boy
P.S. the luxia's out now are not much of comparison they use a light guide instead of a panel diffuser compared to traditional back light and they have no local dimming... plus they are soo thin the have more light leakage issues.. may/june 08 issue on www.ledjournal.com

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/16529389

Any additional comments on the set now that you've spent some quality time with it? I haven't found any online reviews for this set yet since it is so new and you are the first person I'm aware of that actually has this right now.

Ok Some cons i have noticed so far that seem to just popped up out of nowhere... 1st when screen is all white the backlight fluctuates to lighter shade of white then darker shade of white... 240hz is great for games that run 60 fps(cod4,grid,etc) not 30fps like gta4, fallout, etc. thats when the problems w/ 240hz happens..Seems like the processor sometimes lags..gets a lil choppy(not much)...And SD does not look quite as good as the samsungs...but hd looks the same(w/out UCP).. Watched some motocross last night on speed channel and it looked great when they were in the air flying but landing seems the processor started to get shakey for like a sec then works fine.. Think the motion was hard to process.. or maybe the channel?? If you take off local dimming the backlight fluctuates like crazy!!! Come On LG send out a firmware update if possible.. The Screen uniformity is still the best I have ever seen!!!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj /forum/post/16529985

Ok Some cons i have noticed so far that seem to just popped up out of nowhere... 1st when screen is all white the backlight fluctuates to lighter shade of white then darker shade of white... 240hz is great for games that run 60 fps(cod4,grid,etc) not 30fps like gta4, fallout, etc. thats when the problems w/ 240hz happens..Seems like the processor sometimes lags..gets a lil choppy(not much)...And SD does not look quite as good as the samsungs...but hd looks the same(w/out UCP).. Watched some motocross last night on speed channel and it looked great when they were in the air flying but landing seems the processor started to get shakey for like a sec then works fine.. Think the motion was hard to process.. or maybe the channel?? If you take off local dimming the backlight fluctuates like crazy!!! Come On LG send out a firmware update if possible.. The Screen uniformity is still the best I have ever seen!!!

Try turning off the frame interpolation and keep on the back light strobing (not sure what LG calls them). Motion should still be improved without any motion anomalies. It won't be 240 hz, but thats just a gimmick anyway. Lg is using 120 hz panel with strobing backlight and calling it 240 hz.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj /forum/post/16529985

I wonder if the backlight fluctuation on the white screen is the "auto dimming" feature that is listed on the specs? Just guessing. Can that be turned off?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/16530172

I wonder if the backlight fluctuation on the white screen is the "auto dimming" feature that is listed on the specs? Just guessing. Can that be turned off?

Auto dimm was never on...So cant be it, that feature is not all that anyways makes pic too dark... about to move 52a750 into room to compare side by side...yes it can be turned on/off auto dimm... turned off 240hz and it looks better then just 60hz but not quite as good as 120hz fluidness. When ld is off this tv looks like a cheap tv set..blacks are washed out along w/ colors.. Local dimming should stay on...

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty /forum/post/16531287

Thanks for all the info, will be waiting for more, Congratulations on the new set!

Does the LG have a Matte screen or glossy? Thanks in advance!

Your are welcome..It is matte and compared to the Ultra CLear Panel on my a750 it looks almost as crisp w/ no major ambient reflections.. a big plus was actually just lookin at the difference
Besides the minor issues i have experienced so far I am still pleased with the LG.. Have to got to work but will be happy to answer any questions you might have..

#18 ·
Paullouisj,

I was thinking that maybe the “Intelligent Sensor” feature is cycling. When you have a bright white field on the screen, the room environment will be bright and maybe the IS dims the screen. Once the white field is dimmed, the room environment is now also dimmer and the IS drives the brightness up. This is repeated over and over resulting in the backlight strobing. Turn off the IS and see what happens.

Intelligent Sensor: The most suitable picture is automatically adjusted according to the surrounding conditions.

Hope you (we) can figure this out -- I've been waiting for the TV to show up at BB -- it is number one on my list.

#20 ·
Paullouisj,

In the April/May 2009 edition of Sound and Vision, Al Griffin reviewed the LG 47LG90 47-inch LCD HDTV which is LG’s first LED backlit LCD HDTV. Al liked this TV overall except for one thing, the sharpness control.

“One picture adjustment I had a painful time tweaking was Sharpness. When I approached a setting where the edge enhancement related to this control started to disappear, the picture would invariably soften. Ultimately, I had to use a compromise setting where the edge enhancement wasn’t too blatant and the picture still looked relatively crisp.”

He goes on to conclude that:

“With its 47LG90, LG brings a reasonably priced offering to the still dauntingly expensive LED-backlit LCD TV scene. Although I was disappointed by this set’s intrusive edge enhancement, which limited its overall picture resolution, its accurate color, wide-ranging picture adjustments, and strong contrast — even at off-center seats — make it a compelling flat-panel TV option for those inclined to choose LCD over plasma.”

Have you experienced a similar limitation with the sharpness control? This may be something you can explore since you’ve have had this new TV for only a short time.

#21 ·
South Side, the Intelligent light feature is not on.. this model actually has Intelligent mode as a Pic option like dynamic, natural, movie, etc..So it can not be on since the tv is set to Standard (user)mode... it has been off. now if you turn Local Dimming off it fluctuates BADLY..Which is odd seeing I assumed it would technically become a solid light blu?? Plz correct me if im wrong on this theory.

Also on the sharpness if you set pic mode to ISF it will give you the option to change Horizontal sharpness and Vertical sharpness plus lo.med.hi edge enhancement.

Will look again to see what all pic modes will let you do this.. not to mention there is alot of color settings..too many to list.. now the panel it self looks to have less blurring and im sure that is because its an S-IPS Panel (w/local dimming) but Like i stated earlier the Sammy's UCP which is a lil sharper (not much) on still images..

#22 ·
Paullouisj,

I understand, IS is one of the Picture Modes -- I can see that now that I’m looking at the Service Manual.

How about the “Energy Saving” feature. It says that “You can increase the brightness of your screen by adjusting the Energy Saving level or by setting the Picture Mode.” Maybe this is causing the cycling.

So, any new developments -- considering you are the only known owner of the new puppy?

#25 ·
The viewing angle is good, better then the 950 that is one of the reasons it went back... I have had the Lg 55lh90 and the Samsung ln52a750 side by side for some time to compare and the LG beats it on just about everything except its 240hz... 120hz on the A750 actually all "A" series w/120hz 08' models has been alot better for games..(note: I have had 09' Samsung models (ln52b610-ln52b750) and they preformed poorly with games (xbox360/ps3 both hdmi)

So far this new 240 hz is sorta of a gimmick this year... I have noticed some more light fluctuating and 240hz seems weak compared to the A750's 120hz so I am really hoping they fix this if they can...
They A750 has its own issues of course but they nailed the 120hz.. It has been the best performing lcd yet 120hz wise IMHO... Never have I had any problems having to turn off truemotion because it caused problems running videogames or watching tv... I will try engaging Energy Mode to minimum and see if I can crank up the BL n Brightness to compensate.. Thanks for the tip hope it works

Note: The A950 is Superior to the LH90 on sharpness ,SD picture and 120hz. Since I am having issues w/240hz so far
Like i stated earlier the LG does not suffer that bad from blooming as A950 does.

#26 ·
I am really starting to consider this set, especially a 55 LD at that price point. I wonder how it compares to the Sammy edge lit 8000. I know LD is technically better, but the 8000 is one nice TV but too pricey.

How does the LG handle SD content?

Please post some pictures soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.