Proscan 40" 1080p 60Hz LCD any good ? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 136 Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased this TV from Best Buy last June for the bedroom (got the 4 year warranty). Granted, it doesn't get a lot of use, but it's on an average of one hour a day. No problems at all. Great picture.

I do notice a high frequency noise, but only if I'm within a couple of inches. I was an electronic tech for 20 years and in my opinion the noise is not a reliability issue. But it's always a good idea to get the extended warranty. If it lasts four years then I got my money's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 136 Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Just an FYI - the Proscan 40 inch shows deleted or discontinued in Best Buy's inventory system. That being said, one showed up randomly off a shipment truck today at my local Best Buy when I happened to be there so there are still a few floating out there if people are still looking despite not being on the Best Buy website anymore. I took back the 32 inch Samsung I bought and paid the difference (50 bucks), to get the Proscan. It's the 2nd one in the house.

- jrod
/"don't mess with a man with a way-back machine, Dave."
post #123 of 136 Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 AM

I returned mine 3 weeks ago to Costco before the 90 day return policy expired, I was tired of the humming sound, Oncorp was going to send a tech to replace the power supply cause that is what was causing the problem, I decided not to have a new tv worked on so I returned it back to Costco. I picked up the Sony Bravia 120hz KDL-40VL160 and just love this new LCD, im glad I returned it.
post #124 of 136 Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Can anyone get their to run 1080p from a PC over VGA? I've tried a million different things and it still doesn't work
post #125 of 136 Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Costco now has the 40LD45Q for $400 each when you buy two.
Basic specs: here.
post #126 of 136 Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can this two pack be found in the stores or is it an online purchase only. Need to swing over when I'm back in town.
post #127 of 136 Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post

Can this two pack be found in the stores or is it an online purchase only. Need to swing over when I'm back in town.

Online only, I think. I've never seen these in the stores, even as singles. Have seen only Vizio, Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba in the stores, at least for 37" and larger.
post #128 of 136 Old 12-23-2009, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

Online only, I think. I've never seen these in the stores, even as singles. Have seen only Vizio, Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba in the stores, at least for 37" and larger.

Thanks! Bought them online Saturday and just got them today for my kids.
post #129 of 136 Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Anyone know how to enter the service menu.
I've tried the menu power Vol+ and nothing...
There has to be a service menu.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #130 of 136 Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Bump on the service menu. I've never hacked a TV before, but I'd love to get rid of the overscan option. My PC at 1080p looks weird, like there are hundreds of tiny boxes everywhere. And the start menu is only halfway visible. 1366x768 over HDMI is fine (but not as sharp), but I want 1080p. I can't even open nVidia Control Panel (crashes every time on digital connection). I think I may get an ATI to try the Catalyst control panel.

I don't care what anyone says about "garbage information around the border", I think the fact that a 1080p digital signal is not displayed at a direct pixel-to-pixel mapping is idiotic. What's the point of having 2,073,600 pixels in a signal if ~100,000 of them are not even displayed?
post #131 of 136 Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

I can't post the URL for the menu as I've only made one other post on this forum. I'm being accused of spamming!

Anyway, it's at www dot scribd dot com /doc/23767336/PLX4202B

There is a service manual that's labeled "Plasma TV" service manual. However, it mentions the panel PHD5039NUS that is used in the Proscan 40LC45S that I got at Best Buy last summer. To enter the factory menu:

1. Power TV On
2. Press Menu button and call up User OSD Menu
3. Select Audio-> Balance
4. Enter 0->5->3 ->2 in sequence.
Note: If necessary, re-do number keys.
5. Factory OSD appears.
6. Press Menu again and leave the factory OSD.

That's it. Tons of color and audio options. Sadly for me, no options to force elimination of under/overscan. I'm a little hesitant to change anything. I've never messed w/ the service menu before, but I've heard that it's a good idea to take pictures of current settings before changing things.

Hope this helps someone!

On another note, part of me wishes I would have waited and bought a more robust brand/model, but then again, I didn't even know about overscan until I ran into problems with this model.
post #132 of 136 Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Hey everyone,

I realize this is an old thread, but since I've recently seen the deal for this TV for cheap, and I was always unsuccessful to repair this problem until now, I figured I should join and spread the knowledge for other frustrated users.

First off, here's my setup. I obviously have no idea if this will work for others.
ATI 4890 with the Proscan connected on a DVI to HDMI cord (not the ATI adapter) as a second monitor.
ATI Catalyst 10.5 Drivers
Powerstrip 3.83 (required)

So after 11 months of messing around, everything finally worked via HDMI, without all the washed out color. I've tried a lot of things over that time, so it's possible something I've done a long time ago made a difference, but these are the only recent changes, so I hope they help. I never had luck until these newer drivers with ATI, but YMMV. It looks superbly crisp. So once you're connected via HDMI...

1. When I first connected, I just got a black screen claiming to receive a 1920x1080 signal, but not showing anything.
2. Go to ATI catalyst control center and slide the overscan to 0%.
3. Powerstrip: Right-click the icon > Display profiles > configure. Then use the arrows to make sure you're working on the correct monitor. Click advanced timing options. And then start clicking the two horizontal arrows that are pointing in to each other (to shrink the screen horizontally) over and over. Keep doing it until you get to a scan rate around 53.5khz. At that point, my picture showed up on the proscan saying "1920x1080@66Hz". You may have to pinch the screen more, but hopefully everything will show up and it should be clear as day.

I hope this helps someone out. I'm loving the Proscan now since my PC's blu-ray player looks absolutely incredible!

Andy
post #133 of 136 Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 AM

have been trying for hours with the help of many googlings to figure out how to best set my new monitor (Proscan 40LD45QC) to get it actually looking sharp. I have the brand new mac mini which actually has and HDMI input. It is hooked up but setting it to any setting above 1600x900 makes it look horrible. And it ain't looking great If I put it at 1080p or 1080i I can barely read the text.

So now I have downloaded SwitchresX and I honestly barely understand it and I have tried setting it to 1920x1080 with different Hz, no dice. The reality is is that I don't know what most of this stuff means. I understand the basics- I have read tutorials on the software but I really am not in my comfort zone but I am not ready to give up and settle for very fuzzy stuff. Basically, I would appreciate it so much if someone has already figured this out and could tell me exactly what to do. Would be much appreciated!!

as forrelated to the service menu ...I tried Sprinx' trick no dice on my model
post #134 of 136 Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM

I've had this HDTV for over a year now and I use it as my monitor in crystal clear pixel for pixel 1920x1080@60 Hz WITH THE VGA INPUT. The HDMI display is not bad @ 1366x768 but if you want the real deal this is what you have to do:

Let me preface this with I've have ran into ALOT of things I didn't understand but the use of Google and determination prevailed.

At the time when I first bought this HDTV I was using an Nvidia 7800GT. Nowhere was I given the option to set my TV to that resolution so I came across a little program called Powerstrip thanks to Google. I used it to create a custom monitor driver (.inf file) with 1920x1080 as my perfered resolution. I updated the driver and like magic it worked.

Then I upgraded a month or so later to an ATI Radeon 4870 and I was like, "OMFG! F@#$ ATI! IT WON'T DISPLAY ON MY TV!" After I calmed down I started researching what I could do and my research lead me to the program I already had. Powerstrip.

Once again I used Powerstrip but this time I needed to create a custom resolution and video timings with it. For some reason ATI cards don't like to "try and figure out" what timings your TV likes. You will simply have to "play with" the timings until you're picture is pixel per pixel in perfect clarity. I then had Powerstrip load with Windows and would start with those settings. I would however have to use the auto adjust setting in the TV menu UNLESS I turned on the TV after Windows and Powerstrip fully loaded.

Last BUT NOT LEAST.... I just bought a new ATI card. The 5850. I didn't think that Powerstrip would not support the 5xxx series BUT IT DOES NOT! DON'T PANIC! THERE IS A WAY TO GET 1920x1080 PIXEL FOR PIXEL. Sorry I'm excited because after almost a week of having this new card and trying to figure out how I was going to get it to work with my TV I found the solution:

1. I put back in my old Radeon 4870. I did not need to uninstall CCC as the versions are the same.
2. I started the Powerstrip application and opened the custom resolution/timings settings I had that worked with the 4870.
3. I recorded all the settings such as pixel clock, front porch, back porch, etc..
4. After that I plugged the data into a "video timing calculator" (just Google for a link) to make a modeline used in the creation of a monitor driver.
5. I then input the modeline in another free program by EnTech called MonInfo to make a new .inf for my TV (install via windows device manager.)
6. Finally I restarted and like magic my TV was displaying true 1920x1080@60Hz.

Here is a screenshot of my custom timings. I'm assuming they would be the same for everyone using this TV but you might want to do the above just to make sure. I will list my modeline as well for the lazy that just want to plug it into MonInfo.

The Modeline is: "1920x1080" 172.800 1920 2040 2248 2576 1080 1081 1084 1118 +hsync +vsync

I hope this helps. It was really hard for me to find all this on my own but I think I've made it easy for everyone now. Just do a tiny bit of reading and Google what you need to. It's not really as hard as it seems and you're going to have one hell of a picture. This TV was well worth the $500 I spent on it. Just remember you must use the VGA input on the TV not HDMI. HDMI 1080p has TERRIBLE contrast and text is just really hard to read because of it. Use your component video for XBOX/PS3.
post #135 of 136 Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 AM

I have had this TV for almost 2yrs and it still performs great. It is on typically 10-12hrs a day everyday. I can't say anything about the speakers because I have not used them. I strictly use my surround sound. It does have a slight hum when the tv is shut off. No complaints here, I did have to tweak the settings a ton to get the picture that I wanted. I will be upgrading soon to a 50" plasma but I do intend on keeping this for as long as it works. Anyone else out there still have this tv and how is it working for you?
post #136 of 136 Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM

I know someone may comment about raising the thread from the dead, but I think it's best this way for people to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizzyRotum View Post

Anyone else out there still have this tv and how is it working for you?

I've still got mine after 19 months (I bought in July 09). I recently wall-mounted it with equipment from Monoprice after buying a house, and I haven't had a single issue out of it. It still looks great with my HTPC, PS3, Wii. . . well, as good as a Wii can look. Of course, now that it's on a big wall, it looks smaller . . . guess I'll have to get a 60" someday This is the only thing that I ever bought the extended warranty on (4-year BestBuy), and although it was only $60, I learned my lesson that it's usually not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post

as forrelated to the service menu ...I tried Sprinx' trick no dice on my model

Hm. . . wonder if there could be a difference in batches or something to where the service menu is different on some. I verified that it worked on mine. Sorry if I got your hopes up

As to my overscan issue, I finally resolved it after nVidia released their 200-series drivers. The new drivers enable the nVidia Control Panel to be accessed now when hooked up to my ProScan (see previous post from me). The nVidia control panel has an easy-to-use option to adjust the screen resolution to fit an HDTV. I think the actual resolution is something like 1892 x 1060, or something like that. I set the fonts to "Large" in Windows, and this helps whenever reading text. Normally, it's used for videos though, so this is not a big issue.

Now, the desktop, IE, and Windows Media Center fit exactly into the screen. Full-screen games on the PC still suffer from the issue, but I generally PC game on my gaming desktop. This works with my 7800 GTX in my HTPC, as well as my 9800GTX+ whenever I lug in my gaming desktop to enjoy my surround sound.

Just to add more detail to my setup - I have my Windows 7 HTPC hooked up with a DVI->HDMI cable, my PS3 with an HDMI cable, and my Wii & PS2 with component cables. The only inputs I do not use are composite, cable, and VGA, but I can verify that they work.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page