Offical Sharp Aquos LC-XXE77U/LC-CXX77UN Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2034 Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Member
 
canadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In Canada here just placed order on the 65 inch! can't wait!!!!
Am curious about the different advanced CMS settings as there are 6 colour by 3 different (hue saturation and value).Any idea how they interact?\\Seems the review sites who adjusted these Tv's left those settings alone. Also would you recommend auto for most tv broadcasting?
canadoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2034 Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Newbie
 
07SWPSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAppleman View Post

I'm not sure, it seems like a problem with my specific panel and not the TVs as a whole but I am just out of my replacement window, I'll maybe give Sharp a call and see what they can do.

Keep us updated on what Sharp has got to say

thanks!
07SWPSTI is offline  
post #633 of 2034 Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JeffAHayes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

In Canada here just placed order on the 65 inch! can't wait!!!!
Am curious about the different advanced CMS settings as there are 6 colour by 3 different (hue saturation and value).Any idea how they interact?\\Seems the review sites who adjusted these Tv's left those settings alone. Also would you recommend auto for most tv broadcasting?

Read what I just posted about that in 628, canadoc... at least that's all I have to say.

I also know you have those same six color filters in image editing programs like Photoshop, and it can drive you crazy deciding exactly WHAT combination looks best, or if you like the original better (at least it always has ME, lol). That's why my biggest suggestion is that if you DO decide to play with those, you change only one color at a time, and only one one setting at a time, and just a little bit at a time. I believe the TV shows you what you're getting in REAL TIME, without you having to get out of the menu to see, so that should help. And remember, you can always set them all back to the middle setting and start over if things just get really messed up.
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

JeffAHayes is offline  
post #634 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 AM
Member
 
DWBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Grafton, MA
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

I completely forgot to mention image burn-in, lol. I figure that's not much of an issue for anybody but a complete idiot (and I see VERY FEW of those on the AVS forum -- I generally know which parts of the internet to AVOID to avoid the idiots, lol) will know how to keep their TV from having image burn problems... Then again, right now mine's been on pause for several minutes while I keep reposting to this thread, lol -- but it's an LCD, so I'm OK, lol (I would still normally turn the monitor off, but I'm getting back to it right now).

Hope you enjoy your 60. Wishing I could have afforded the little extra money (and had the extra space). My 52 is sweet, but it IS sweeter.
Jeff

I thought the burn-in issues were largely overblown and a thing of the past, but there seemed to be a lot of posts related to it in the V10 owner thread. Only a couple of issues, but a lot of talk of people running color slides or scroll bars regularly to deal with it (not too mention the recommendation that you run color slides exclusively for the first 100 hours to "age the phosphors"). In the end it seemed like too much maintenance and too many things to worry about.

DWBoston is offline  
post #635 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
TedInATL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My month-old LC-40E77un could not survive a split second power interruption. Everything else in the house is fine, but all my inputs are now inoperative (no video or audio). This is extremely disappointing. Sharp tells me that my warranty is voided (not sure exactly why). The authorized repair vendor says there's a minimum charge of $294 labor. Parts will be added.

Any suggestions? Any idea how much the parts might be? Would it be good money after bad? Should I just go get another brand? I'm no longer disposed to Sharp products.
TedInATL is offline  
post #636 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Member
 
barry2716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I purchased my 2nd aquos in Nov and I have heard intermittent buzzing noise coming from near where the HDMI inputs are. It can be pretty loud at times so I called up the Aquos Advantage. What a lousy bunch of customer service people that line is. I thought it would be good customer service but I was sorely mistaken.

So the tech came out on Sat to look at my tv, he spent less than 5min at my house, almost ripped out my centre speaker, and didn't even know the serial number for the tv was on the side as he was twisting and yanking my tv around to get to the back.

All he did was look at my menu settings, and say my backlight was too low. He changed it from -2 I believe, to +12. He said it had to be 95% of max and this is what makes the buzzing go away. I told him this would change my picture quality but he said no, and left. It of course changed my picture quality and I still am able to hear buzzing noise.

I talked with Sharp USA and they said:

Jasa: The buzzing sound you are experiencing is normally resolved by lowering the backlights. Sharp usa does recommend adjusting your settings to resolve this issue as well

You: So Sharp USA support recommends the backlight setting be lowered if anything

Jasa: That is correct
-------------------------

So they say LOWERING the backlight is the solution, this tech said INCREASING is the solution, I say #$*$& them both!!

I should be able to set my backlight to whatever I want, what if the contrast was the issue, and they set it to 95%, the buzzing might be gone, but I'd still have a crappy picture.

Anyways, does anyone else have some suggestions on this? They are suppose to have the tech come out again, but Im close to sending an email to Sharp Canada head office at this point and/or taking my tv back (hopefully)

Thanks!
barry2716 is offline  
post #637 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Member
 
kyeo138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Barry, all I can tell you is that on my LC-C6077UN club model from costco, I don't hear any buzzing when I change hte backlight from -16 to +16. If it were me, I'd demand a new TV (and yeah, what a PITA that is).
kyeo138 is offline  
post #638 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Extreme_Boky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry2716 View Post

Hi,

I purchased my 2nd aquos in Nov and I have heard intermittent buzzing noise coming from near where the HDMI inputs are. It can be pretty loud at times so I called up the Aquos Advantage. What a lousy bunch of customer service people that line is. I thought it would be good customer service but I was sorely mistaken.

So the tech came out on Sat to look at my tv, he spent less than 5min at my house, almost ripped out my centre speaker, and didn't even know the serial number for the tv was on the side as he was twisting and yanking my tv around to get to the back.

All he did was look at my menu settings, and say my backlight was too low. He changed it from -2 I believe, to +12. He said it had to be 95% of max and this is what makes the buzzing go away. I told him this would change my picture quality but he said no, and left. It of course changed my picture quality and I still am able to hear buzzing noise.

I talked with Sharp USA and they said:

Jasa: The buzzing sound you are experiencing is normally resolved by lowering the backlights. Sharp usa does recommend adjusting your settings to resolve this issue as well

You: So Sharp USA support recommends the backlight setting be lowered if anything

Jasa: That is correct
-------------------------

So they say LOWERING the backlight is the solution, this tech said INCREASING is the solution, I say #$*$& them both!!

I should be able to set my backlight to whatever I want, what if the contrast was the issue, and they set it to 95%, the buzzing might be gone, but I'd still have a crappy picture.

Anyways, does anyone else have some suggestions on this? They are suppose to have the tech come out again, but Im close to sending an email to Sharp Canada head office at this point and/or taking my tv back (hopefully)

Thanks!


search this thread for "buzzing"... -> post #299

Boky
Extreme_Boky is offline  
post #639 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
OhioLefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedInATL View Post

My month-old LC-40E77un could not survive a split second power interruption. Everything else in the house is fine, but all my inputs are now inoperative (no video or audio). This is extremely disappointing. Sharp tells me that my warranty is voided (not sure exactly why). The authorized repair vendor says there's a minimum charge of $294 labor. Parts will be added.

Any suggestions? Any idea how much the parts might be? Would it be good money after bad? Should I just go get another brand? I'm no longer disposed to Sharp products.

TedInATL,

Try doing a "Factory Reset" (make sure you write down your favorite settings if you have any). Should be in the manual on how to do it or try Googleing it.

You got nothing to loose at this point.

Good Luck...
OhioLefty is offline  
post #640 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Newbie
 
ayosbathere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I need some assistance. I owned LC 52A77, what I notice in my Menu-Picture-Advance the Film Mode is disable. Is there something wrong in my Sharp LCD TV? how can I setup the Film Mode

Thanks!!!
ayosbathere is offline  
post #641 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
AzN_plyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayosbathere View Post

Hello.

I need some assistance. I owned LC 52A77, what I notice in my Menu-Picture-Advance the Film Mode is disable. Is there something wrong in my Sharp LCD TV? how can I setup the Film Mode

Thanks!!!

Haha if you read a couple posts up, you can see Boky annoyed by people asking the same thing over and over again. Well you should go read the manual or read the last 4-5 pages like Boky said
AzN_plyR is offline  
post #642 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Newbie
 
ayosbathere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

Incredible.... the lengths some people will go to just to avoid reading manual even reading the last 4-5 pages of this thread will explain in detail everything about Film Mode

so, return the TV.... get samsung

Boky

you mean to say the Film Mode was set to High the reason the result reacted as a ghost.
ayosbathere is offline  
post #643 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Newbie
 
ayosbathere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN_plyR View Post

Haha if you read a couple posts up, you can see Boky annoyed by people asking the same thing over and over again. Well you should go read the manual or read the last 4-5 pages like Boky said

Opps sorry.. I'll get my manual.
ayosbathere is offline  
post #644 of 2034 Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Extreme_Boky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedInATL View Post

My month-old LC-40E77un could not survive a split second power interruption. Everything else in the house is fine, but all my inputs are now inoperative (no video or audio). This is extremely disappointing. Sharp tells me that my warranty is voided (not sure exactly why). The authorized repair vendor says there's a minimum charge of $294 labor. Parts will be added.

Any suggestions? Any idea how much the parts might be? Would it be good money after bad? Should I just go get another brand? I'm no longer disposed to Sharp products.

that's just bad luck.... the input selector IC's used in 700 series Sharp TV's are bog-standard 3 HDMI IN's -> 1 OUT.

Question1: Can you still watch of-air digital terrestrial channels?
Question2: Can you see anything on the screen (main menu bar)?
Question3: If you answered NO to first 2 questions, can you see the backlight working?

The fact you can't select any inputs means AV processor board will have to be replaced... but, if you can't see any of-air broadcast channels - it may be power supply board.

You could try to re-load the firmware... any firmware version for your particular model will do... give it a try

... and... the TV SHOULD survive power supply interruption = same as turning the power OFF and quickly back ON (well not really, but it is quite close)...

However, the lightning strike discharge is different... and it definitely should not be covered by warranty.

There is one other fact... why did you tell Sharp anything about mains power disruptions? Should've told them that TV just stoped working...

I think you should make the case with Sharp and explain to them that there were no lightning strike(s) just mains power interruption that all other appliances survived.

If they claim categorically (in e-mail) that TV failure caused by mains surge is not covered by Sharp warranty, take the e-mail to Company who supplies electricity in your State - they have to supply the mains voltage within + / - 5% of nominal (110?)V voltage rating see what they have to say

Good luck,

Boky
Extreme_Boky is offline  
post #645 of 2034 Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Extreme_Boky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocateux View Post

Anybody with calibration setting that turn "pinkish" red into real red?

This is the only "problem" with this Sharp series (fixed to good extent in 700 series - thank God)... unrealistic reds... nothing much you could do about it (you could get Sony LCD TV... but with other issues...)

I narrowed the problem down to ALPS tuner block that Sharp chose to implement on AV board, and part of the AV processing. I get much better results colour-wise if I feed HDMI signal from external tuner - in this case the PS3 slim + PlayTV tuner box. This produces much better reds... but crushes blacks and blows highlights... luckily, with blu rays everything is just perfect - colour faithfulness, saturation, blacks, highlight.. all great!

700 series tuner / AV processing doesn't have any of the above issues.

Boky
Extreme_Boky is offline  
post #646 of 2034 Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
TedInATL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much to OhioLefty and Boky for taking the time to respond. I will try your suggestions. I had unhokked the panel and replaced with an old tube, so I'll have to do the reverse to test.

Yes, I get menus, and I get snow on the broadcast channels. I didn't realize that such a simple, common thing would void the warranty. I've also been under-the-weather, so may not have been on top of my game.
TedInATL is offline  
post #647 of 2034 Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Member
 
ivanvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so after a few hours of calibration i came out with these settings:
Backlight: +5
Contrast: +31
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1

CMS - Hue
Red: 0
Yellow: -3
Green: -12
Cyan: +4
Blue: 0
Magenta: 0
CMS -Saturation
Red: +2
Yellow: 0
Green: -3
Cyan: +3
Blue: 0
Magenta: -3

CMS - Value
Red: -9
Yellow: -4
Green: +8
Cyan: -1
Blue: 0
Magenta: -2

Color Temp
Middle

Active Contrast: off

Gamma Adjustment: 0


Needless to say im very impress with the picture quality (this TV is my 5th HDTV, going from CRT to Plasma and LCD). Last night i watched Inglorious Basterds and i felt like i was inside the movie.

Now i would like to ask, what other BR do you recommend to see? which one have the better transfers? (dont care about the movie, just want to see the picture).
ivanvt is offline  
post #648 of 2034 Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now i would like to ask, what other BR do you recommend to see? which one have the better transfers? (dont care about the movie, just want to see the picture).[/quote]

Here ya go

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342
topr is offline  
post #649 of 2034 Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
OhioLefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanvt View Post

Ok, so after a few hours of calibration i came out with these settings:
Backlight: +5
Contrast: +31
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1

CMS - Hue
Red: 0
Yellow: -3
Green: -12
Cyan: +4
Blue: 0
Magenta: 0
CMS -Saturation
Red: +2
Yellow: 0
Green: -3
Cyan: +3
Blue: 0
Magenta: -3

CMS - Value
Red: -9
Yellow: -4
Green: +8
Cyan: -1
Blue: 0
Magenta: -2

Color Temp
Middle

Active Contrast: off

Gamma Adjustment: 0


Needless to say im very impress with the picture quality (this TV is my 5th HDTV, going from CRT to Plasma and LCD). Last night i watched Inglorious Basterds and i felt like i was inside the movie.

Now i would like to ask, what other BR do you recommend to see? which one have the better transfers? (dont care about the movie, just want to see the picture).

What model (LC-XXE77UN) and which AVMode (User, Standard, Movie) did you use?
OhioLefty is offline  
post #650 of 2034 Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Member
 
ivanvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
52E77UN and im using "User Mode"
ivanvt is offline  
post #651 of 2034 Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Member
 
ivanvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much for the link
ivanvt is offline  
post #652 of 2034 Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Member
 
vesicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An interesting find on the "film mode". I found that the film mode setting also depends on the source signaling. For instance, when I played the demonstration material on the DVE BRD calibration dics (It has a part that is specifically designed to test smooth motion), the smooth motion was achieved when I set the film mode to "Advanced High". However, when I watched the "transformers II", the same setting gave me jittery motion. I had to adjust the film mode to "Off" to get smooth motion. In both of these cases, I had 1080P/24.

Another separate question, I am trying to connection my laptop to my LC60E77UN wirelessly. I found some cheap wireless PC-to-TV adaptors that only sent SD sigal via VGA. I'm, however, looking for ones that can send HD signal via HDMI. Does anyone have any suggestions??
vesicles is offline  
post #653 of 2034 Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Extreme_Boky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesicles View Post

An interesting find on the "film mode". I found that the film mode setting also depends on the source signaling. For instance, when I played the demonstration material on the DVE BRD calibration dics (It has a part that is specifically designed to test smooth motion), the smooth motion was achieved when I set the film mode to "Advanced High". However, when I watched the "transformers II", the same setting gave me jittery motion. I had to adjust the film mode to "Off" to get smooth motion. In both of these cases, I had 1080P/24.

Another separate question, I am trying to connection my laptop to my LC60E77UN wirelessly. I found some cheap wireless PC-to-TV adaptors that only sent SD sigal via VGA. I'm, however, looking for ones that can send HD signal via HDMI. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Film Mode option should be greyed-out if the TV detects 1080p/24 source signal... maybe it's different on large panel model (60")? Could you please confirm this?

In general, sending 1080p at 60 frames / sec signal and using Advanced High setting for Film Mode should give best (smoothest) result.

I use PS3 and stream everything wirelessly from notebook. This produces drop-outs / pixilation artefacts with HD material (even 720p sometimes). Better still is Gigabit copper connection straight from notebook to PS3.


Boky
Extreme_Boky is offline  
post #654 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Member
 
vesicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

Film Mode option should be greyed-out if the TV detects 1080p/24 source signal... maybe it's different on large panel model (60")? Could you please confirm this?

In general, sending 1080p at 60 frames / sec signal and using Advanced High setting for Film Mode should give best (smoothest) result.

No, it is not. The Film Mode option is still there when my TV detects 1080P/24 and I can clearly tell the difference between each options (Advanced-high, Advanced-Low and Off) when I switch back and forth. Especially the Demonstration material on the DVE dics. One scene has the camera swinging along a metal fence. With 1080p/24 signal and film mode OFF, it looks horrible with jittery motion. When I switched it to Advanced high, it gave me clear and smooth motion. But like I said in my last post, some BR discs, like the transformers II, the same setting (1080P/24, film mode-advanced high)gave me to jittery motion. One good example would be in Chapter 15 when they parachute down to Egypt, one paratrooper in the air is moving horizontally across the screen. With the above setting, his movement was noticably "jumpy", like he's "hopping" in the air. When I switched the film mode OFF, the scene became silky smooth. Another thing I noticed is that with the film mode on "Advanced-High", many images have this bright glow around the edges of objects. You can tell from the same scene. When the paratrooper are just jumping out the plane, they would have this shiny glow around them with film mode on "advanced-high". Also when Optimus is dropped down, he also has this glow around the edges. When I switch the film mode to OFF, these artifacts all disappeared. However, I would see similar artifacts in the DVE dics with the film mode at OFF. I have to eliminate it by switching the film mode to Advanced -high.

I know this is confusing. So here is a summary of what film mode option is generating artifacts (To tell you the truth, it is confusing the heck out of me):

Jittery motion: DVE disc (OFF); The transformers II (Advanced-high)

Glowing artifacts: DVE disc (OFF); The transformers II (Advanced-high)
vesicles is offline  
post #655 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Member
 
canadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well I just received my sharp 65 inch LCD Friday afternoon and while I have no dead pixels and had some flashlight corners on day 1 that seemed to have for the most part disappeared, I have something else that seems a bit bothersome making me wonder if I should keep the set.
I am not sure if this is called vertical banding or soemthing else, but it seems when watching golf or hockey where the background is a lighter uniform colour that there are a couple of spots where there is a thin vertical streak that appears brighter of the same colour. If the image pans while on those colurs it looks worse and more noticeable. Is this something that will even out with time as my tv is used more(it cam 2 days ago) as the flashlight corners did? Or will it always be like that, and if so are there settigns to minimize it?
I am not sure I will want to keep this TV if it going to always be like this and if that;s the case i may look at plasma though this set was purchased at a great price and locally the Panny plasma65s1 would cost me a $1000 more.
Given the size of the set I will likely need to pay to have it returned as it is too big for me to return, so going through the process of exchanging it for same model with the inherent risks that the next panel will be the same is not for me.
Give my 15 foot viewing distance I am a believer in as big a set i can afford which for now was this one though anythign else 63-65 inches in plasma lcd here in Canada costs 4-5000 and i got this for 3200.......sothis my dilemma hope people can help with their experiences so far on their sharp sets.....
canadoc is offline  
post #656 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

Well I just received my sharp 65 inch LCD Friday afternoon and while I have no dead pixels and had some flashlight corners on day 1 that seemed to have for the most part disappeared, I have something else that seems a bit bothersome making me wonder if I should keep the set.
I am not sure if this is called vertical banding or soemthing else, but it seems when watching golf or hockey where the background is a lighter uniform colour that there are a couple of spots where there is a thin vertical streak that appears brighter of the same colour. If the image pans while on those colurs it looks worse and more noticeable. Is this something that will even out with time as my tv is used more(it cam 2 days ago) as the flashlight corners did? Or will it always be like that, and if so are there settigns to minimize it?
I am not sure I will want to keep this TV if it going to always be like this and if that;s the case i may look at plasma though this set was purchased at a great price and locally the Panny plasma65s1 would cost me a $1000 more.
Given the size of the set I will likely need to pay to have it returned as it is too big for me to return, so going through the process of exchanging it for same model with the inherent risks that the next panel will be the same is not for me.
Give my 15 foot viewing distance I am a believer in as big a set i can afford which for now was this one though anythign else 63-65 inches in plasma lcd here in Canada costs 4-5000 and i got this for 3200.......sothis my dilemma hope people can help with their experiences so far on their sharp sets.....

It would helpful if you could post up a picture or two. To say Sharp has prior issues with banding is a huge understatement.
topr is offline  
post #657 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Newbie
 
Rancho Conejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

Recently we had new television cable installed in our home and I was wondering if the Time Warner technician set us up for the best performance possible. Exiting the wall the coax cable moves into the cable box. Then a 5 line (red/blue/green/white/red) component cable exits the cable box and is plugged into the Sharp television.

I was wondering since we did order HD programming from Time Warner if the television is setup correctly? Shouldn't we be using a HDMI cable so we can utilize HD broadcasts at their best?

Thanks!
Rancho Conejo is offline  
post #658 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Conejo View Post

Hi Everyone,

Recently we had new television cable installed in our home and I was wondering if the Time Warner technician set us up for the best performance possible. Exiting the wall the coax cable moves into the cable box. Then a 5 line (red/blue/green/white/red) component cable exits the cable box and is plugged into the Sharp television.

I was wondering since we did order HD programming from Time Warner if the television is setup correctly? Shouldn't we be using a HDMI cable so we can utilize HD broadcasts at their best?

Thanks!

HDMI is the best option but you can still receive HD over component. It sounds like he gave you component video and analog audio. Your TV should display the resolution its receiving.
topr is offline  
post #659 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Member
 
canadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
will try to get pics up tomorrow. the effect is not very marked so will have to see how it turns up on a picture. What amkes it bad is watching golf or hockey where the bands are static in location with a moving white or green background makes it seem noticeable and distracting to me though my wife doesn't really appreciate it.

Imagine it looks like you are looking outside through a window to a snowy or green backdrop. The glass while clean perhaps has a few faint vertical streaks that are not by themselves very noticeable. However if while looking out the window you are also turning your head to take in all the scenery the fixed streaks look odd against the moving background and are thus more noticeable.
canadoc is offline  
post #660 of 2034 Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nlsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

will try to get pics up tomorrow. the effect is not very marked so will have to see how it turns up on a picture. What amkes it bad is watching golf or hockey where the bands are static in location with a moving white or green background makes it seem noticeable and distracting to me though my wife doesn't really appreciate it.

Imagine it looks like you are looking outside through a window to a snowy or green backdrop. The glass while clean perhaps has a few faint vertical streaks that are not by themselves very noticeable. However if while looking out the window you are also turning your head to take in all the scenery the fixed streaks look odd against the moving background and are thus more noticeable.

Canadoc, for what another member's opinion is worth until you get the pics up, this sounds like some of the "traditional" banding that Sharp screens are notorious for. I have an LC45D40U that has severe vertical banding that acts as you've described. I found it particularly noticeable on some colors and some darkness levels, but it's at its worst in sky and grass shots that are panning as you describe because it leaps out at you. I've also currently got an LC65E77UM that thankfully has no banding issues whatsoever, but is still getting rid of the corner backlight artifacts you're describing.

IMHO I'd let it have a week to resolve itself and then contact Sharp to get them to pick it up and drop off a replacement under warranty. I just don't think the plasmas compare with the features of an LCD (said the man who bought two Sharp LCDs...), and as I said I've got the same model with no banding, so it's a hit or miss kind of manufacturing error. It sounds like you're more a hockey fan than football so you shouldn't suffer too mightily to be potentially without your set during the Superbowl, but that's my two cents. Do try to get good pictures of the effect (I'd bracket the white balance to ensure capturing it), though, as you'll likely need them to convince Sharp into replacement.

nlsteele is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off